The 2011 Formula One Season

Posted by madotter 
Re: The 2011 Formula One Season
Date: February 09, 2011 08:08AM
Posted by: EC83
I want to see Senna get a chance to prove himself in a half-decent F1 car. If, as we all hope, Kubica makes a full recovery, it won't even be for a full season anyway.

Date: February 09, 2011 08:29AM
Posted by: alexf1man
Odd that Bruno Senna could end up driving for Lotus Renault GP, which sounds like when Ayrton drove for Lotus Renault in the 80s.
Date: February 09, 2011 08:43AM
Posted by: gav
SchueyFan
I don't think Bahar will be able to resist the promotional benefit of putting Senna in the car unfortunately.

Thankfully it's not his choice. ;)

He'll have some sway being the title sponsor, but so long as he's not mind-bogglingly naive, then he'll push for someone with not just more racing experience and development ability, but someone with more experience full stop. Remember Senna has comparatively little experience compared to the rest of the grid (as Bruno was constantly at pains to point out).

As good as the engineers, simulators and IT guys are, you still need someone with a good head, especially during the pre-season.

The last thing you'd want in a top team are two relatively raw drivers, irrespective of how fast they are.
Date: February 09, 2011 12:07PM
Posted by: danm
I honestly think Kimi could trump this one and surprise us all.

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
Date: February 09, 2011 12:18PM
Posted by: Anonymous User
alexf1man Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Odd that Bruno Senna could end up driving for
> Lotus Renault GP, which sounds like when Ayrton
> drove for Lotus Renault in the 80s.

Ugh, I wish I knew the code for the "banging head against a wall" smiley.
Date: February 09, 2011 12:55PM
Posted by: chet
EC83 Wrote:
> Regarding Kubica's drive - My heart says Senna,
> but my head still says Heidfeld.

Ditto!

Then again, if Kimi did want to (im not so sure) then;

Heart - Kimi
Head - Kimi

Sadly I dont think he would want to come back, I think he would want at least 1 more season in WRC to see how he does with an extra years experience. Kimi is the one driver who can be as quick (if not quicker) than Kubica.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: February 09, 2011 01:33PM
Kimi must surely be tempted, given the rumoured innovative exhausts, plus what Kubica was pulling out of that Renault last season.

Boullier also seems to have a retro attitude towards the drivers. I quite like him, and that can only attract Kimi further.

Still, more of a pipe dream I think.

Anything made of the Citroen Rally Chief saying he is free to go if he wants? I know he races independently of Citroen, without proper ties, but that is quite juicy information.

Date: February 09, 2011 01:47PM
Boullier was my team principle of 2010. Its obviously not just him but he's turned that team around. I'd never heard of him before he was team principle but he seems to be a great guy and certainly knows how to run a team.

Ferrari, Mclaren, RBR and Merc best hope it's not Kimi otherwise they will have a season long headache!

Date: February 09, 2011 01:48PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
For the fans, Kimi definitely has the most to offer.

But I can't see him suddenly changing his mind after he turned the team down only a couple of months ago.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: February 09, 2011 02:15PM
Posted by: vorkez
I agree. Kimi would be the best option. But in hindsight I think that Heidfeld would be the next best replacement. He has more to offer, and if Boullier can get Heidfeld into the car then he could use the German as a tutor to Petrov and Senna. Giving Senna a year to learn the technical side and strengthen his race craft. It worked in some ways for Massa when he left Sauber for a Ferrari reserve role and it honed a lot of his skill. I think all new racers who are green should at least have a year as a reserve role under their belts, it would perhaps be better for their careers lol
Date: February 09, 2011 02:17PM
Were his reasons for turning them down ever revealed? Or was it actually confirmed he was in talks?

Because if it was the case of not having a competitive car and all... this season could change things.

He could dip his feet in the Renault, and who knows, Vettel could be off to Ferrari next year, and Webber might likely retire.

So much speculation, but this hypothetically could open doors for him at say, Red Bull.

Can you imagine Kobyashi and Kimi at Red Bull for 2012? :D Fantastic!

Kimi is only 31. Theres still life in him for F1. He just needs the right team.

No top team would take him on after the absence, so if he does well in the Renault, like I said, it could earmark him for a Red Bull drive. I am sure the sponsor ties are only the tip of the iceberg.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2011 02:20PM by danm.
Date: February 09, 2011 02:28PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
Well he seemed to get angry at the team for beating up the alleged talks, so I'm sure Boullier will keep any talks quiet this time (possibly why he's named other drivers on a short list)

Kimi would've seen first hand the dangers of rallying with Kubica's crash, especially if you compare it to Canada 07 or other recent F1 crashes where the driver survived unhurt. His father had a sudden death at Christmas as well, so Kimi, or Jenni, might have a sudden dose of mortality and reconsider their futures.

He doesn't seem like the typical guy to worry about this too much, but the human mind can work in funny ways.

X (@ed24f1)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2011 02:29PM by SchueyFan.
Date: February 09, 2011 02:33PM
Posted by: fongu
A year in the sidelines as a reserve driver means nothing nowadays unless they actually spend time in the car. All the reserve drivers in recent years have been pants when they've come into a team, Grosjean, Wurz, De La Rosa, Badoer and to a lesser extent Liuzzi. Having said that, there are always exceptions. Back in the day when Massa was a reserve, testing wasn't limited at all, plus he had several seasons in a Sauber to hone his skills before he stepped up into a Ferrari. To me, it's a no brainer for Renault to go for an experienced racer like Heidfeld if the Kimi option is a dead end.

Date: February 09, 2011 03:55PM
Posted by: Morbid
IMHO, Kimi is a dead end for Renault. If you consider just how rusty Michael Schumacher was after a prolonged absence, then how is Kimi going to deliver from day one? I can't see him being adjusted to the new tyres and cars before half the season is over, and then Kubica might already be on his way back. To compound matters, much of the recent Renault success has come from development of the car, and we all know that Kimi shuns these responsibilities. Give him a fast car, built for his purposes and he is almost second to none. Tell him to build one, and you won't get what you are looking for. I can't see any other but Heidfeld (good for development) or Hulkenberg (good for speed) as the viable options, and I think they are going to opt for Heidfeld.

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
Date: February 09, 2011 05:21PM
Kimi has spent only a year out, Schumacher spent several. I dont think you could use him as an example. Nick Heidfeld missed half a year and seemed okay. Klien likewise, he missede alot of time (though did a little testing i think) and seemed okay.

Also, didnt, Peter Sauber, Mclarne and Ferrari all applaud Kimi's feedback? He might not be able to develop a car (IMO no driver can) but he he did give great feedback from what we know. I dont think he'll have any trouble adjusting to the tyres/cars.

Date: February 09, 2011 05:23PM
Posted by: vorkez
I think it all depends really on how the reserve driver is trained. Wurz was good when he stepped in, but that was when Benetton could still be competitive, De La Rosa was never anything more than a backrunner or a sure thing for a slow team. His role as a tester now is secure, much like it could be with Heidfeld. They're more useful now for their technical skills rather than race craft.

Massa was fast and a good driver in Sauber but was too erratic. I remember when he got a drive next to Schumacher and was more consistent. I just think that having a session like they used to for reserve drivers would benefit the sport and give the younger guys more running time with the cars.

Kimi at Red Bull would be interesting. I definetly see a free seat next season. I don't think Webber will be staying and will be surprised if he gets another year. I hope he does as he's a good driver and needs to be champion, but I just don't see him being in RBR for a further year. Massa may go there. He's a proven winner and with Adrian Newey it could be a fantastic move to have Massa take on the team that would let him go for Vettel.

This is why I love F1 and its silly season! The possibilities are endless and certainly very entertaining to think what could happen!
Date: February 09, 2011 05:46PM
Posted by: fongu
Unless Massa performs this year, I think Ferrari will drop him and I don't think he'll get another competitive car again.

Date: February 09, 2011 07:49PM
Posted by: alexf1man
vorkez Wrote:
> I agree. Kimi would be the best option. But in
> hindsight I think that Heidfeld would be the next
> best replacement. He has more to offer, and if
> Boullier can get Heidfeld into the car then he
> could use the German as a tutor to Petrov and
> Senna. Giving Senna a year to learn the technical
> side and strengthen his race craft. It worked in
> some ways for Massa when he left Sauber for a
> Ferrari reserve role and it honed a lot of his
> skill. I think all new racers who are green should
> at least have a year as a reserve role under their
> belts, it would perhaps be better for their
> careers lol

It definitely helped Alonso in 2002 before his amazing winning record (at least 1 GP each year since 2003 except 2009 when he had no chance)

He might end up with wins in more seasons than Michael if he wants to.
Date: February 09, 2011 07:53PM
Posted by: EC83
Alonso never won in 2004 either. I see what you're meaning though.

I'd love to see Kimi back in F1 too, and in a decent car. But as far as I know there's nothing linking him to Kubica's drive at the moment, and I'd be amazed if he was favoured over the drivers who are already contracted by the team.

Date: February 09, 2011 08:06PM
Posted by: 97kirkc

Obviously.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2011 08:06PM by 97kirkc.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy