The 2011 Formula One Season

Posted by madotter 
Re: The 2011 Formula One Season
Date: February 10, 2011 04:03PM
Posted by: alexf1man
Ford might want to get involved with Ferrari so they promote their F150s. I know it's just a joke, but imagine if they did, especially when F1 returns to USA (probably next year*).

* Subject to whether the track is built in time and passes FIA inspection.
Date: February 10, 2011 04:58PM
Posted by: marcl
Everyone will still call it the F150 so its stupid.
Date: February 10, 2011 05:23PM
Posted by: Incident 2k9
There was nothing wrong with F11. Ferrari should just keep a naming pattern to avoid problems.

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
"My ambition is handicapped by laziness" - Charles Bukowski
Date: February 10, 2011 06:11PM
Posted by: vorkez
The Ferrari Italia. That would be simple. But then again, it is Ferrari...
Date: February 10, 2011 07:05PM
Posted by: EC83
Wikipedia
The F-Series is a series of full-size pickup trucks from Ford Motor Company sold for over six decades. The most popular variant of the F-Series is the F-150. It was the best-selling vehicle in the United States for 24 years and has been the best-selling truck for 34 years

In fairness, on the strength of this alone, Ford are entitled to be pissed off.

Date: February 10, 2011 09:28PM
Posted by: loren
Not the first time: Porsche stopped Jordan from calling their first car 911. March were allowed to keep CG911, which followed on from previous CG901, CG891 etc.

If I was Ferrari, I wouldn't have changed the name. They're not selling F150's and they're not bringing them to the US, so it's hard to imagine that a US court could actually have compelled them to change the name. Then again, defending it is probably not worth their while.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2011 01:00AM by loren.
Date: February 11, 2011 01:13AM
Posted by: Anonymous User
loren Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Not the first time: Porsche stopped Jordan from
> calling their first car 911. March were allowed to
> keep CG911, which followed on from previous CG901,
> CG891 etc.
>
> If I was Ferrari, I wouldn't have changed the
> name. They're not selling F150's and they're not
> bringing them to the US, so it's hard to imagine
> that a US court could actually have compelled them
> to change the name. Then again, defending it is
> probably not worth their while.

This is what I mean. They're not really related, they're from two totally different markets. I don't see how a F1 car having the same model # as a freakin' pick-up truck is a problem.

The Ferrari F-150 is never going to be used, advertised or sold outside of F1 anyway. And I've never heard of the Ford F150, not because I've had my head in the sand but because I don't really give two hoots about 99% of road cars, least of all American pick-ups. I wouldn't know more about them than I do about fridge-freezers. I appreciate that it may hold some kind of market significance, but I don't see how Ferrari calling their car that can affect or detract from Ford.

Anyway, they should have just turned around and said that it's not the same, it's the F-150, whereas Ford's is called the F150. Be pedantic back!

I get it, but I also don't really get it.
Date: February 11, 2011 07:29AM
Posted by: DaveEllis
And I've never heard of the Ford F150, not because I've had my head in the sand but because I don't really give two hoots about 99% of road cars, least of all American pick-ups.

You being ignorant on the subject doesn't make it ok. The F150 is an icon. A tradition. When Williams comes out with the FW-Transit, expect a similar lawsuit.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: February 11, 2011 08:44AM
Posted by: alexf1man
It was (briefly) reviewed on Top Gear so I know of the vehicle - not exactly a load of pathetic publicity by Ford. In fact it's the complete opposite.
Date: February 11, 2011 01:11PM
Posted by: senninho
The only real news from testing today seems to be that Michael Schumacher feels a bit more comfortable in the Mercedes - currently fastest, with a faster time than anyone managed yesterday in similar conditions.

One thing I have noticed is that the drop-off of times on long runs is quite spectacular - they seem to end up 4-5 seconds slower at the end of a run. I think this is probably a good thing in terms of spicing up the races.

Date: February 11, 2011 01:11PM
Posted by: Carlitox
Maybe Ferrari could have claimed that their car is named F150 and the Ford pick-up is named F-150. Besides, there are many variations to this name (E.g.: F-150 Super Duty, etc.)

But yes, that Ford is very famous, although I'd buy a Dodge Ram instead if I had the money.

BTW, McLaren have introduced LRGP style exhausts. I've read it somewhere. I'm looking for a picture ATM.

EDIT: Here's a pic. I've put two arrows, because I don't know exactly where the exhaust is.

Stats: 139 Starts / 7 Wins / 9 Poles / 5 Fastest laps

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2011 01:18PM by Carlitox.
Date: February 11, 2011 01:20PM
Posted by: chet
ScarbsF1 has confirmed the exhausts exit at the rear. The arrow on the left is pointing at what I would guess is an infra-red sensor

edit - [a.yfrog.com]

as scarbs says, theres a reflection which makes it look like 4 exhausts.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2011 01:22PM by chet.
Date: February 11, 2011 02:11PM
Posted by: Carlitox
Just seen it, thanks chet. I didn't put the source because it's in spanish, but HERE it is. Use google translator, perhaps that can help.

And, according to that page, their source was Auto Motor und Sport.

Stats: 139 Starts / 7 Wins / 9 Poles / 5 Fastest laps
Date: February 11, 2011 03:37PM
Mclaren have a number of solutions to test, unlike Renault they have not put all their eggs in one basket.

Looks like Merc have gone for glory runs today to try and keep people quiet.
Date: February 11, 2011 03:47PM
Posted by: Ilkayplaya
Huge crash by Maldonado

[yfrog.com]
Date: February 11, 2011 03:53PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
Perez also crashed a little while ago, and Petrov and Alguersuari have been into the gravel.

Not very sensible driving, particularly for Petrov, who should be stepping up as team leader now that Kubica's gone.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: February 11, 2011 04:38PM
Its testing though drivers have to push to find the limits.

As for Williams I think they have made a huge mistake in signing Maldonado.
Date: February 11, 2011 04:49PM
Posted by: Slash
from the autosport ive comentary

autosport live commentary
15:45 Mark Harrison asks: When you refer to Lotus, which team are you referring to? And how will the teams be distinguished?

Lotus is Team Lotus. The other team is Renault, with Group Lotus as a sponsor.

One car is mostly green, the other is mostly black...

nice....

ps: go Michael
Date: February 11, 2011 06:22PM
Posted by: Incident 2k9
We should give Maldonado a chance, but there's no way he's better than Hulkenberg. We all know that it's just based on money.

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
"My ambition is handicapped by laziness" - Charles Bukowski
Date: February 11, 2011 06:43PM
Posted by: JackHammer
They did want to keep Hulk but loan him out to HRT as part of their deal, it's all money

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy