Legard to be ousted from BBC F1 commentary?

Posted by LS. 
Re: Legard to be ousted from BBC F1 commentary?
Date: March 26, 2011 12:56PM
Posted by: Incident 2k9
I was pleasantly surprised. Very enjoyable.

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
"My ambition is handicapped by laziness" - Charles Bukowski
Date: March 26, 2011 04:02PM
Posted by: elio
Could do with out the voice projection from Brundle as in "Roll up, Roll up ..." style. It doesn't suit him. I have never heard quite so many testy pops from MB (check urban dictionary for definition!). THere is no need for MB to change delivery very much, a little more speed and excitement maybe but he was borderline 'trousers on fire' in qual. Whats he going to be like in the race! I am sure thing will settle down in the end.

Regarding DC and Red Bull contract. As clarified by others, I don't see it as an issue of bias at all, rather a complete afront to the BBC policy of employees not engaging in the promotion of products. DC is meant to be a journalist not a salesman. If they do the baulk of the broadcast outside the Red Bull garage is this because Red Bull is the leading team or because DC has been asked to get the Red Bull logo in shot for as much air time as possible? We will never know. Anyway - £4 million retainer!!! I remember the days not long ago when that would have been the salary for a topline active driver, never mind a consultant.

All in all a good start to the year. Great to see Mclaren will not be too far behind. I've a strong suspiciton that the fastest cars will not cross the line first tomorrow with tyres and reliabilty being such big issues.
Date: March 26, 2011 07:18PM
Posted by: chet
DaveEllis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Bump.
>
> BBC were brilliant today. Brundle was a little
> shakey and awkward during the introduction, but as
> soon as the cars got on track they quickly settled
> down, and it became awesome very quickly. DC was a
> little unnatural at times, but for his first
> official session he was fantastic, even better
> than Brundles first one back in 1997.
>
> Also quite glad DC is still doing pundit work.
> Jake is too polite to tell EJ when he's being a
> moron.
>
> Overall: top class. I expect the couple of tiny
> issues they had resolve themselves naturally over
> a couple of weekends. Even if they don't, it's
> still brilliant, lol.

100% fully agree. I really wasnt looking forward to DC bum r*ping Vettel and Webber but his input was actually pretty good. It was a very good mix to appeal to us, and then the casual fans. Still, tomorrow is the real test!

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: March 26, 2011 08:03PM
Posted by: gav
elio
As clarified by others, I don't see it as an issue of bias at all, rather a complete afront to the BBC policy of employees not engaging in the promotion of products. DC is meant to be a journalist not a salesman. If they do the baulk of the broadcast outside the Red Bull garage is this because Red Bull is the leading team or because DC has been asked to get the Red Bull logo in shot for as much air time as possible?

I've had the impression since 2009 that Red Bull have provided the BBC team with hospitality and even technical renderings (such as the one this morning which demonstrated the rear wing in the new rules section). Whether it's because DC is a consultant or it's Red Bull being supportive of the BBC is open to debate I guess, but either way, it doesn't detract from the BBC's coverage and Red Bull are always fun, so I care not. :)
Date: March 26, 2011 08:37PM
Posted by: Muks_C
great to have F1 back!

i bought a house last April and moved in last July, and it took me till just a couple of weeks ago to save up enough money to buy a proper TV, so i bought a 47" fullLED LG with built-in freeviewHD (was using a 19" CRT, with just an xbox to play and watch DVDs on since moving, didn't bother with a freeview box so i could avoid paying the tv licence).

F1 in HD looks stunningly awesome. one thing that annoys me though, is that the graphics are still offset to be near the centre of the screen, to accomodate viewers who watch in 4:3. they should really move them all the way to the left of the screen, as i'm sure the vast majority of the F1-watching population are watching in 16:9, even if they have a traditional 4:3 set (you just set the output to letterbox to get the full widescreen picture, with black bars top and bottom of the screen).

and this goes even more for the BBC1HD channel on freeview, because if you have access to the channel in the first place, then you must be watching in 16:9, surely?

does anyone think that if enough people contacted them about this, they would change it?

the BBC did very well today otherwise, DC was a nice improvement over Legard IMO.

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2011 08:40PM by Muks_C.
Date: March 28, 2011 07:08PM
Posted by: thestig88
Thought Martin Brundles debut as Lead Commentator was good, no heroics, just clear and concise although a lot of "erm's" but that will soon go as he settles, my prediction of a "discussion style of commentary" seems correct, DC's input was fantastic, his way of describing things in an easy to understand yet un-patronising way was great.
plus i liked his (Brundle's) opening lines of a simple "warm welcome" as refreshing rather than some poetic intro speech.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy