Legard to be ousted from BBC F1 commentary?

Posted by LS. 
Re: Legard to be ousted from BBC F1 commentary?
Date: January 16, 2011 08:28PM
Posted by: 97kirkc
It's hardly a secret they're friends, he was DC's manager after all. No doubt he may have been able to put some weight behind the decision process though.

Date: January 17, 2011 01:37PM
Posted by: elio
Scottish newpapers are reporting that DC will keep his £4 million a year consultancy job with Red Bull. an exeption is being made, but as a BBC journalist this should not be allowed. There is no way he can be impartial. If he sees Redb Bull doing somehting stupid during the year he won't be critising them them and if we just goes silent in the booth at such times that will be wierd. Some culture and sport MP has been asking questions. This might not be allowed to stand. Come on DC! Sort it out, are you going to be a proper broadcaster or not? Its not like you need the extra money.
Date: January 17, 2011 02:32PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
There is no way he can be impartial.

Yes, because clearly Allen and Davidson are completely impartial.

The BBC has a whole has been completely bias towards the Brits, especially Lewis, but we draw the line when DC is bias towards Red Bull? Really? That is where the line is?

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2011 02:33PM by DaveEllis.
Date: January 17, 2011 07:39PM
Posted by: Incident 2k9
'If he sees Redb Bull doing somehting stupid during the year he won't be critising them.'

I'm sure that if Red Bull DO do something stupid, then he'd probably criticise them more, just to shake off the bias accusations. But if you remember the whole wing thing at Silverstone, when that occured a Red Bull employee criticised the team. I think he said something like a 'not bad for a Number 2 driver'? Something like that.

But Red Bull know that he's paid to act as a consultant for them AND commentate on the race. Trust me, it'll be fine.

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
"My ambition is handicapped by laziness" - Charles Bukowski
Date: January 17, 2011 07:40PM
Posted by: Koku
DaveEllis, I think to be fair to Elio the concern raised is not so much one of bias but of promotion.

Promoting the profile of the racing Brits in British broadcasts ("bias" if you will) has been around since the days of radio; from Clark & Graham Hill, to James Hunt, to Mansell, to Damon Hill, to Coulthard (to an extent) and certainly to Lewis. Murray was never impartial to an individual; witness the famous "lump in my throat moment" over Damon Hill. If you've never watched a French broadcast, especially in the days of works Renault cars, driven by Prost, fuelled by Elf (and later shod by Michelin), then you're in for a shock!

Where commentators being biased for these drivers is based on themes of nationalism, I believe the concern is that Coulthard will be biased towards (i.e. promoting the interests of) Red Bull which is a commercial organisation. The team exists because a soft drink manufacturer wanted a cool, high-profile method of selling more of his soft drinks so he can make more money. Coulthard is being employed by a public body (the BBC), his salary coming from the licence fee drawn from our pockets, and is still singing to the tune of a reported £4m annual retainer as RB consultant. That's where I reckon most people are getting their knickers in a twist over a possible conflict of interest.

I don't know if Coulthard is therefore "biased" in that way. He's been with the BBC 2 years now and has had plenty of time for this vexed question of commercial interests to raise its ugly head. It's only getting exposure now because he's becoming a co-commentator rather than a pundit. I'm quite willing to wait and see.
Date: January 17, 2011 08:00PM
That doesn't fly with me, sorry. The motive doesn't matter, only the final product. We've put up with some of the worst and most bias coverage we've ever seen in recent years, and now people who defended Allen and Davidson and pre-empting bias by DC and complaining before he's even started? No, no and no.

I'm sure that if Red Bull DO do something stupid, then he'd probably criticise them more, just to shake off the bias accusations.

So he's in a lose lose situation. If he criticises them he's just trying to show he isn't bias, and if he doesn't then it's proof that he is. Dear God.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: January 17, 2011 08:22PM
Posted by: gav
Coulthard criticised both Red Bull drivers during the Turkish GP - it took a bit of coaxing out of him, but he was still critical of them.

All commentators are biased. Murray loved Mansell. Hunt hated Patrese. Allen loved Schumacher. Palmer loved numbers. Brundle doesn't like Alonso. Legard loved sleep. There'll all biased - so long as it's not a wank-fest, then I don't care - I can look beyond their bias, take their views on board and make my own from them. I'm not a sheep.

They're commentators, not neutral countries in a world war.
Date: January 17, 2011 10:42PM
Posted by: EC83
Nevermind neutrality/bias, I think DC will be fine there. I think his problem could be making sure he doesn't swear. :D

DaveEllis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Massive shot at Allen. Good. I want intelligent
> commentary for intelligent viewers. Not sh*t for
> morons.

+ 1

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2011 11:06PM by EC83.
Date: January 18, 2011 12:57AM
Posted by: mitadumapaga
why did hunt hate patrese ?? and why does brundle not like fernando . could you give me some examples of what they've said, because i cant watch races on BBC
Date: January 18, 2011 01:43AM
Hunt had an attitude problem towards Patrese after Monza 1978 and Ronnie Peterson's fatal accident. Patrese overtook Hunt while slotting back onto the track at the "funnel" bit of the old s/f straight after going right onto the apron to make up places. Hunt flinched from Patrese and crashed into Ronnie, putting Ronnie into the wall and triggering the massive pile-up that stopped the race. Afterwards Hunt blamed Patrese for the accident(ironic as hell, since Hunt himself had crashed into Ronnie) and the loss of Ronnie, who'd been one of his best friends. IIRC Hunt pushed to have Patrese done for manslaughter over the accident immediately afterwards. Utterly stupid IMO, since it was clearly just a tragic accident and no driver was to blame.

It was also the reason for Hunt's sometimes harsh comments about Patrese after he became a commentator(I've got to say, I've watched quite a lot of videos of GPs from the early- and mid-80s with live BBC commentary and I've not really come across any unjust comments by Hunt about Patrese yet. The only nasty comments I can think of that he made about Patrese were during the 1990 San Marino GP - "Patrese won't have got any quicker with age, so you can't say that's happened" and "Frank must be kicking himself that he didn't hire proper drivers", aimed at Patrese and Boutsen - and during the 1991 Italian GP, when he wrongly assumed Patrese's spin after getting into the lead was a "stupid mistake" by Patrese when in fact it was a gearbox problem which had spun the car and then caused Patrese to have to retire).

He did criticise Patrese's driving when Patrese made mistakes, but he did that for more or less all the drivers, and in fairness Patrese did have a tendency to make retarded mistakes, often just after he'd driven really well to take the lead of a race or gain a position, mistakes which a driver as talented as Patrese shouldn't have been making.

Date: January 18, 2011 02:14AM
Regarding Brundle not liking Alonso - the reasons for that are more complicated. I think that if he dislikes Alonso it's because Alonso is a moaner sometimes and because he's a relatively unspectacular driver, like say Prost, who calculates and goes for percentages rather than an exciting driver who attacks. I'm guessing this because in 2005 for example, he was always playing down Alonso's various achievements and sounding uninterested about him while bigging up Kimi. As a prime example I remember one comment Martin aimed at Alonso during the 2005 Canadian GP, after Alonso had just hit the wall and then complained on his radio that the car wasn't driving properly - "That's because you just chucked it at the wall, mate." Priceless. :D

Date: January 18, 2011 09:10AM
Hunt didn't make his disliking of Patrese the backbone of his commentaries, but the digs were there and Hunts views on Patrese were well known.

Brundle's comments towards Alonso are just little digs here and there. You wouldn't know unless you watched F1 all the time, but any chance Brundle has to belittle Alonso, there's always a hint of it. I get the impression he thinks he's an awesome driver, but there must be something about him that he doesn't like... not that he's alone in that of course.
Date: January 18, 2011 01:08PM
Jonathan Legard is a lovely bloke, we never had a 'personality clash' or a cross word. There's so much nonsense gets cut and pasted as fact

Martin Brundle - [twitter.com]

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: January 18, 2011 01:12PM
Posted by: senninho
Ah, you beat me to it :P

I'm more inclined to believe the horse's mouth, than the rumours. I do hope he sticks around on Twitter :)

Date: January 18, 2011 01:17PM
I've asked him about rumours of him and Crofty not being able to work together, but with 22,000 followers in less than 2 days, I imagine I wasn't the only one to ask and my tweet will get lost among them.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: January 18, 2011 05:14PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
Yes, its great to have him on Twitter, hopefully he can use his account well.

As for Brundle and Alonso, I think its also partly related to Alonso's relationship with the British media. I remember a one-liner in Turkey when Brundle commented that Alonso was, "as hard as sod to interview," or something like that.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: January 18, 2011 06:00PM
I remember his comments about Alonso during Istanbul 2010 quali, when he said Alonso "had been a miserable little so-and-so" amongst other things, and thinking he was being a bit harsh on the guy, purely because of what he said and the way he said it. But that was just a passing moment.

By the way, for anyone who wonders what Martin will sound like as a lead commentator, watch the 2000 French GP. He was lead commentator for that one after Murray was unable to make it to the race, and IMO he did a pretty excellent job.

Date: January 22, 2011 04:23PM
Legard is back... reporting (note, not commentating) on the Arsenal-Wigan football match for 5Live today.
Date: March 26, 2011 10:26AM
Bump.

BBC were brilliant today. Brundle was a little shakey and awkward during the introduction, but as soon as the cars got on track they quickly settled down, and it became awesome very quickly. DC was a little unnatural at times, but for his first official session he was fantastic, even better than Brundles first one back in 1997.

Also quite glad DC is still doing pundit work. Jake is too polite to tell EJ when he's being a moron.

Overall: top class. I expect the couple of tiny issues they had resolve themselves naturally over a couple of weekends. Even if they don't, it's still brilliant, lol.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: March 26, 2011 11:10AM
Posted by: msater
Commentary team is so much better than last year. I thought Martin didn't let David talk as much as I'd like, but maybe that's just me.

Order a giffgaff SIM from my link and get £5 credit, free!
Season 1 and Season 3 GPGSL World Champion!
Member of CTDP - Cars Tracks Development Program - 3D Carshaper

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2011 11:14AM by msater.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy