Legard to be ousted from BBC F1 commentary?

Posted by LS. 
Re: Legard to be ousted from BBC F1 commentary?
Date: December 30, 2010 08:04AM
Posted by: EC83
dio69 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> DaveEllis Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Davidson shouldn't be let near the main booth.
>
> Hrmm... Why?

Because, to be blunt, he's overrated as a commentator and stuck up himself.

Date: January 11, 2011 10:50AM
Posted by: SexySam182
Legard on Twitter 'Life moves on. Ask Nick Heidfeld or @narainracing. You never know what's next. To the critical and the complimentary, thanks for the company'

I wonder who the BBC are replacing him with.

Date: January 11, 2011 11:09AM
Posted by: chet
Ill see who replaces him before I jump for joy.

If it were DC, I hope it's the DC with his head out of RBR's arse because that would be okay imo. However, if it is the same DC we saw in 09 and '10 then its just as bad as Legard!!!!

Maybe they should promote crofty up their with Martin aswell as doing the FP sessions.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: January 11, 2011 11:21AM
Posted by: 97kirkc
BBC F1 source is saying Brundle and Coulthard in for 2011 (via f1fanatic on twitter). Confirmation is due later today.

edit: Blundell now saying on twitter as if it's confirmed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2011 12:05PM by 97kirkc.
Date: January 11, 2011 01:53PM
Posted by: gav
Blundell... :\

The thing with Blundell is that while everyone at ITV was consciously asked to dumb everything down, I got the impression that that was somewhere around Mark Blundell's natural level.
Date: January 11, 2011 01:54PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
I'm not particularly optimistic about this. Not only will this possibly dilute Brundle's role - giving him the second-by-second description rather than analysis, which he is better at - Coulthard hasn't shown that he is an adequate replacement. Hopefully he at least stops working for Red Bull in any capacity, because it would be a joke if he did both.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: January 11, 2011 03:42PM
Posted by: chet
Yup! DC the driver had alot of character and was generally pretty funny.

DC the RBR man just bums everything about them and they can do nothing wrong.

I thought that behaviour went with ITV.

I wonder what will happen if DC isnt any better. Bring back Legard :p? Im glad Legard was given this year to see if he improved, I felt he needed another chance. It's a shame that imo one of his worst performances was Abu Dhabi!

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: January 11, 2011 04:49PM
Since nobody had posted a source link yet, here's one:

[news.bbc.co.uk]

It won't be bad having DC there I think. He has commentated before and strikes me as a decent commentator overall. It'll be interesting seeing how his relationship with Martin affects their commentary too.
It remains to be seen how having two former drivers in the box affects the neutrality of the commentary though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2011 04:52PM by EC83.
Date: January 11, 2011 05:25PM
Posted by: alexf1man
The funny thing about DC is that when he spoke during the Turkish GP (I hope you see where I'm going with this) by the time the cameras had gone back to the racing the Red Bulls had JUST collided in the middle of his speech (ha ha lol to think he is still connected to the team)
Date: January 11, 2011 07:09PM
Posted by: gav
Yeah, the immortal "oh no" in the background. :D

I don't like his RBR bias, but I can look beyond it. At least you know it's there and so you can just analyse what he's saying and glean your own non-RBR version from it.

Legard was just boredom in voice box form.
Date: January 11, 2011 07:35PM
Posted by: elemental
Frankly, I'd be fine even if it was Martin alone and he spent half the race not saying anything. Welcome DC!
Date: January 11, 2011 07:38PM
DC's reaction was awesome when the RBRs collided, especially the "Oh crumbs" when he first noticed.
I'd say he's just about the best option the BBC had who was currently available. I'd personally have preferred Charlie Cox, but that's just me and my tendency to like extremes.

Date: January 11, 2011 11:09PM
Posted by: msater
I get the idea that the BBC are training Coulthard up to be a bit like Brundle - Coulthard was doing the grid walk in 2010 a couple of times with Brundle, which made Coluthard a bit like the trainee, and now he's being moved up to Brundle's former role. Wouldn't be surprised to see Coulthard do the grid walk on his own more often for 2011.

Order a giffgaff SIM from my link and get £5 credit, free!
Season 1 and Season 3 GPGSL World Champion!
Member of CTDP - Cars Tracks Development Program - 3D Carshaper
Date: January 12, 2011 02:23AM
Posted by: Koku
At last! Legard is gone! (G)

Not sure about DC, having 2 former drivers and putting more emphasis on Martin Brundle. I was hoping for another commentator to leave MB to do what he does best; those insightful little jabs. Neverthless, am more than willing to give this combo a fair run with Jonadrone Lethargic out of the way!
Date: January 13, 2011 02:19PM
Posted by: elio
My opinion - for what it's worth ...

1. We should all be very grateful that Legard is gone. He never really had the authority to make it work as the lead commentator, especially sitting next to Brundle who not only showed-up the weaknesses in Legard’s ability to ask the right questions and to ‘read’ the race, but also obviously did not have any warmth towards. Painful to listern to sometimes. On one level you want is to at least have the impression as a viewer that you are listening to two mates enjoying watching the race TOGETHER as much as you are. Great example of this is Cox and Parrish on MotoGP.

2. I am pleased that Martin B is sticking around, love the grid walks (even when is goes a bit wrong) and I like the way he has mellowed in his tone and style. He will have to up to tempo quite a bit to lead and create room for DC to do what we has doing.

3. As for DC, hmmmmm. He has got the credibility in terms of paddock experience and is a good foil to that loveable numpty Eddie Jordan, but I can’t see him holding up for 2 hours in the booth. He had a terrible habit of doing the ‘Catchphase’ TV show thing of just ‘say what you see’ which is no use at all. Oh well, done deal. Lets wait and see. The mates factor I alluded to might just win the day.

By the way … I have most of the races from the last 20 years on DVD and I listen to them frequently (like the radio in the background) while I am doing other things on the PC (like making stuff for GP3). By far and away the most pleasant to listen to are Walker and Hunt, happy childhood memoires and just the right blend of fireworks and chocolate toned public school.

In response to Murrays Mistakes … it’s a bit of a myth really (bar proper Murrayisums). Quite rarely did he make out and out mistakes, more often than not he would make enthusiastic predictions that were wrong or have slips of the tongue form going at it so fast, like saying Nigel Senna or whatever (not a real example!). Actual mix-ups have to be view in the light of the conditions Murrray commentated in. If at the circuit, in a cramped booth with no aircon, not always a very good view of the track and often using a tiny black and white TV to monitor to see the rest of the circuit. Often MW wasn't even in the right country and the commentary was added to the pictures in London on the Sunday night.

Finally … don’t get me started on Mark Blundell. I have to fast forward most of the race build-up for 2007 races because of his dippy comments and continuous repetition of the cliché of the day ‘spa weather is predictably unpredictable etc’. But pet hate, I hope this doesn’t make me a snob, is Mark’s use of the word ‘done’ when he means ‘did’ or ‘had’ – I am from the same place as ‘im and I can talk more proper! The boy Blundell done well baaaad.
Date: January 13, 2011 02:41PM
Posted by: senninho
elio Wrote:
> But pet hate, I hope this
> doesn’t make me a snob, is Mark’s use of the
> word ‘done’ when he means ‘did’ or
> ‘had’ – I am from the same place as ‘im
> and I can talk more proper! The boy Blundell done
> well baaaad.

[sniffpetrol.com]

Date: January 14, 2011 09:31PM
Posted by: senninho
A promising soundbite from Martin at Autosport International today:

"We know our sport, and we have got to entertain. We have to inform and I know we will be comfortable...I am very good mates with DC and we haven't seen the best of DC yet by a long way. That ping pong match is not his forte, he will still be doing that but that is not his best work.

"DC has got such a knowledge of F1 and such banter to go with it, that I am confident he will have plenty to say about a race. I can do the shouty bits when I have to, and yes it is a different job so I will do it differently - but I won't pretend I won't know what I am talking about.

"I won't give him gormless questions like, 'oh that right rear tyre looks a bit odd doesn't it David'. We'll discuss it among ourselves. We will agree, disagree, we will throw to the pit lane and we will tell the story of F1."

Sounds like a bit of a shot at both Legard and Allen/ITV, if you ask me ;-)

Date: January 14, 2011 10:17PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
Massive shot at Allen. Good. I want intelligent commentary for intelligent viewers. Not sh*t for morons.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: January 14, 2011 10:27PM
Posted by: Koku
senninho Wrote:

[snip]

> "I won't give him gormless questions like, 'oh
> that right rear tyre looks a bit odd doesn't it
> David'. We'll discuss it among ourselves. We will
> agree, disagree, we will throw to the pit lane and
> we will tell the story of F1."

Just one of the many insulting things that used to wind me up so much about Legard, something that'll be gone this season! (Y)
Date: January 16, 2011 05:06PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
I find it interesting that he specifically mentions that he is friends with DC.

Could this have counted against Croft, if we are to believe the rumours of the rift?

X (@ed24f1)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy