Legard to be ousted from BBC F1 commentary?

Posted by LS. 
Re: Legard to be ousted from BBC F1 commentary?
Date: December 17, 2010 06:16PM
Posted by: Incident 2k9
It would be quite funny if, just for once race, Jeremy Clarkson commentated. We'd get stuff like:

'Oi Schumacher, get out of the way!'
'And they've gone off the track. It's all hopeless...'
'And that crash must have killed him. Anyway if you'd like to be an F1 driver, why not write to us at...HE'S ALIVE!'

and similar...

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
"My ambition is handicapped by laziness" - Charles Bukowski
Date: December 17, 2010 07:33PM
Posted by: gav
If Clarkson commentated I think I'd lose all motivation for all motor racing. He was acceptable, but he's believing his own image now.

Outside of Top Gear he's not so bad, but on TG he's been painful viewing for the past few series.
Date: December 17, 2010 08:45PM
Posted by: Ferrari_Fuhrer
Clarkson commentating on F1 would be murder, and he'd be the murdered.

[Website]
Date: December 18, 2010 09:51PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
He couldn't do live TV anyway. He swears quite a lot. Even on other shows like Qi, where he isn't being the Clarkson character for Top Gear, there is a lot of editing for his language.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: December 25, 2010 12:40AM
Posted by: Anonymous User
chisel chin ftw!
Date: December 27, 2010 05:39PM
Posted by: thestig88
i can't see them moving crofty over from R5L as he and Anthony are quite a cult hit, plus could the bbc get double ratings by having viewers watching bbc 1 and using the R5L audio feed?
Date: December 28, 2010 07:37AM
Posted by: mclarenaustralia
thestig88 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> i can't see them moving crofty over from R5L as he
> and Anthony are quite a cult hit, plus could the
> bbc get double ratings by having viewers watching
> bbc 1 and using the R5L audio feed?

Yes leave the 5 Live team as it is they are quite good to listen to (I prefer them to the BBC team). The best choice to replace Legard is Murray Walker (it could happen because he said "Never say never" when asked (by 5 Live) about a return to the commentary box).
Date: December 28, 2010 10:29AM
Posted by: dio69
mclarenaustralia Wrote:
> The best choice to replace Legard is Murray Walker
> (it could happen because he said "Never say never"
> when asked (by 5 Live) about a return to the
> commentary box).

For what? To in a middle of GP race the guy having a heart attack? Nahh. He's tooooo old. I also don't like the sound of his voice, and he makes a lot of mistakes and sometimes talks about vague stuff.
So DC FTW.
But anyway, i think any of those guys are better than the portugueses one so.
Date: December 28, 2010 11:29AM
Posted by: Incident 2k9
Dio69, that's what we loved about Murray. He could get away with it due to his knowledge about the sport.

DC has an awful monotone. Which is why I would hate it if he became the co-commentator.

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
"My ambition is handicapped by laziness" - Charles Bukowski
Date: December 28, 2010 12:27PM
Murray is too old now. To be fair he was probably too old when he retired. I never minded his mistakes, as his personality and natural enthusiasm more than made up for them (and let's face it, Murrayisms are a good thing), but on the season review thingy in one of the last GPs, where he was in a cinema with Stirling Moss, I thought he looked far less 'there' than I'd seen him before. He looked remarkably good for an 87 year old guy, but it looked liked he'd gone downhill a bit recently and it saddened me. All to be expected, but I didn't enjoy seeing him like that. He's as much a part of my GP birth as Senna and Mansell were, if not more so.

Mark Webber was interviewed on Radio 5 Live a few weeks ago, and he didn't rule out a bit of media work when he retired. He was asked if he wanted DC's (current) job at the GPs and he sounded far more interested than I'd expected.
Date: December 28, 2010 01:51PM
Incident 2k9 Wrote:
> DC has an awful monotone. Which is why I would
> hate it if he became the co-commentator.

True, but nevertheless he doesn't have that high frequency voice ;)
In the end i really would like to "see" Davidson up there with Brundle.
Date: December 28, 2010 02:09PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
Davidson shouldn't be let near the main booth.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: December 28, 2010 02:15PM
DaveEllis Wrote:
> Davidson shouldn't be let near the main booth.

Hrmm... Why?
Date: December 28, 2010 04:26PM
Posted by: Ferrari_Fuhrer
Yeah, I didn't ever mind Murray's mistakes either. You always get things wrong when you're the lead commentator anyway - you have to react instantly. Brundle has the extra few seconds to think before he speaks. But the best thing about Murray was that he didn't fill the voids with useless nonsense, he was able to bring in interesting anecdotes, recount paddock conversations and the like. Allen and Legard's main failings as lead commentators have, in my opinion, less been about factual mistakes or annoying voices and more because they've failed to engage the viewer. James Allen always used to engage Brundle, but never me at home. Murray used to just talk as if he was in your front room and leave Brundle, Hunt or whoever else was there to pip in when they had something to say. He didn't need to ask silly questions like "tell us about the tyres" or "so how does a pit stop work?"

[Website]
Date: December 28, 2010 05:14PM
Posted by: J i m
Murray still drew on the experience of Hunt, Stewart, Palmer & Brundle as drivers though to explain various facets of a race. I always loved Murray's commentary, his infectious excitement, his anecdotes and of course the glorious "murrayisms" but it's too late to return now. His era should be left to look back on fondly, not spoilt by a comeback after too many years.

It's always a bonus to hear from him though.

Date: December 29, 2010 12:29AM
Posted by: chet
Murrary was awesome but his mistakes were not. I STILL dont understand how when Murrary made a mistake it was part of the show, or as you say Jim, glorious, yet when Legard makes mistakes he gets lynched.

As I say, I liked Murrary but god his mistakes pissed me off.

As a guy who doesnt understand the difference, could someone explain it please? And dont give the answer because he was excited. Legard get's excited im sure, however he just portrays it in a shite way like James Allen (though I did come find him not so bad).

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: December 29, 2010 01:22AM
Murray was a 65-80 year old guy when most of the Murrayisms came out. By then he'd forged a reputation, gained immense respect and fans in the paddock let alone those who actually listened to him. He'd gone through everything in life (many people don't realise he led a platoon in WW2) and come out of the other end a stronger guy, but he never mentioned it. He'd forged strong friendships with the leading drivers (not just been a fan of them), but managed to strike a blend of not really favouring those friends in commentary while not hiding those relationships.

As I said, everything about his demeanour he'd spent decades building up. The Murrayisms weren't really there throughout his career, just throughout the well-televised peak of his era, when he was already an old man. Neither Allen nor Legard had a positive reputation to fall on.

He's a loveable guy - the sort I fully expect I could spend years talking to without F1 even cropping up. Could you expect that of James "I am F1" Allen or Jonathan "I like straight lines" Legard?
Date: December 29, 2010 01:29AM
Posted by: EC83
Nigel Mansell alongside James Allen. :P

Date: December 29, 2010 01:54AM
Posted by: EC83
gav Wrote:
> He looked remarkably good for an 87 year
> old guy, but it looked liked he'd gone downhill a
> bit recently and it saddened me. All to be
> expected, but I didn't enjoy seeing him like that.

I wouldn't say he was too much worse actually... Considering he's nearly 90 and at a stage of his life where his mental and physical condition is supposed to be deteriorating exponentially, I personally think he's still holding up pretty well. He did seem a bit worse than I've seen him before, yeah, but a long way away from being in the state I thought he might slump down into pretty quickly after retiring.

Think what we've seen in the last 10 years or so in terms of commentary teams for F1 in general just goes to show what a good commentator Murray actually was. He did make a lot of mistakes(I admit that like Chet, these annoyed me sometimes) and during his final few years as a commentator they got noticeably worse, and he seemed to get confused more easily too. But his enthusiasm was truly a gift he had, as was his ability to be an obvious fanboy of various drivers(Mansell, Hill, Schumacher and latterly Hakkinen) or to basically say whatever he wanted during commentaries, without coming across as dislikeable for it.
He was - is - a very charismatic guy.

Date: December 29, 2010 01:43PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
DaveEllis Wrote:
> Davidson shouldn't be let near the main booth.

Well hopefully the fact that his ego wouldn't fit in the commentary booth will preclude that from happening!

X (@ed24f1)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy