Legard to be ousted from BBC F1 commentary?

Posted by LS. 
Re: Legard to be ousted from BBC F1 commentary?
Date: September 16, 2010 06:15AM
Posted by: SchueyFan
If it was up to me, I would keep Legard.

I don't think anyone is going to be perfect, particularly as they have a very tough role to play, the sort of everyman sidekick to Brundle. Flaws are always going to be found somewhere, and I don't think they should make a knee-jerk reaction every time.

I don't think many people find Legard as obnoxious as Allen could be at times, and furthermore, if you live in the UK, there are other commentary options.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: September 16, 2010 08:17AM
Posted by: DaveEllis
john hindhaugh is the man for the job

John is a clueless moron when it comes to anything but Sports Cars. He spends the entire broadcasts telling you how terrible other racing series are, and how Le Mans is the only place with true passion left. After 24 hours of this, I'm ready to jam a needle in my ears. Having him on F1, whining about how crap it is? I'd be forced to sacrifice Brundle to go listen to Croft and Ant. John needs to be kept as far away from this job as possible.

Cox is the man for the job. Edwards possibly, but I don't think he's as amazing as some say.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: September 16, 2010 10:10AM
Posted by: danm
I still cant work out why people hated Allen so much!? Sure, ott at times, but he was enthusiastic and knowledgable!

Had he not been after murray, I think he wouldnt be as hated. Too comparable at the worst time. A shame! I think Allen would be brilliant now, with all the action.

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
Date: September 16, 2010 10:15AM
The same reason everybody hated Blundell. You can't deny Blundell knew his stuff either, but they hid this knowledge so well that you'd be forgiven for thinking they'd never heard of F1 before they got the jobs. Allen especially loved asking stupid questions to Martin, and spent the entire time putting on fake enthusiasm. The few times he did show genuine enthusiasm he came out with pathetic chavy sh*t which made me embarrassed to be an F1 fan. A commentator should never be allowed to shout crap like "You beauty" and "get in there".

James is not a commentator. He is a reporter. A damn good reporter. He should have been kept in the pit lane and his strengths exploited. ITV were just too cheap to get someone new in and threw James in since he already worked at him.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: September 16, 2010 06:47PM
Posted by: EC83
I still have no problem with Legard, and if I'm honest I don't get why some people find him annoying. But if the BBC are going to replace him, please make it Charlie Cox. I absolutely loved his BTCC commentary a few years back, and actually used to wish he was commentating on F1 alongside Martin when they replaced Murray with James Allen. I don't know how knowledgeable he'd actually be on F1 since I always thought touring cars and bikes were his thing, and his commentating style would be a bit rough round the edges(not that that's necessarily a bad thing), but the enthusiasm and sheer charisma he has in the commentary box are really exceptional, and he has an awesome wit and talent for humour as well.
Plus, with Brundle being such a good commentator it gives the BBC a unique opportunity to take some chances with whoever they put alongside him.

danm Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I still cant work out why people hated Allen so
> much!?

We had one example as recently as Sunday, in the press conference after the race. "Fernando, what was it like to see Jenson go in the pits? Did you think it was Christmas?" Even Alonso gave him a funny look. @#$%& off James. I've never understood how anybody could enjoy listening to him.

LS. Wrote:
> Cox is the commentry version of Chris Moyles imho

And that's a bad thing because... ?

Date: September 16, 2010 07:04PM
Posted by: chet
A commentator should never be allowed to shout crap like "You beauty" and "get in there"

Hahahahaha! For obvious reasons thats a memory that will never leave me :p

Though Ant's response was just as bad, but hes loved as a commentator by most now! lol

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: September 16, 2010 07:28PM
Posted by: Incident 2k9
If it was Cox, then you'd get amazing one-liners in a throwback to grand old Murray.

'Pedrosa's off the line faster than a slice from my toaster' is a personal highlight.

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
"My ambition is handicapped by laziness" - Charles Bukowski
Date: September 16, 2010 07:53PM
Posted by: harjinator
much like Brundle's "he looks like he's fighting an octopus", which he's used a couple of times this year

Team Japan Owner - GPGNC
Date: September 16, 2010 08:23PM
Posted by: gav
chet
Though Ant's response was just as bad, but hes loved as a commentator by most now! lol

Ant was an arrogant cock back then and to a much lesser degree still is. I didn't mind it back then - it just seemed genuine but misguided enthusiasm - but he still portrays some of it now.

He is good in the box with Croft, but frankly Karun has come in and put him firmly in his place. Karun has been awesome. Cracking sense of humour too.
Date: September 16, 2010 09:16PM
Posted by: chet
Karun was awesome! His twitter is funny too! He's got a real british sense of humour, and combined with his accent its a good listen :p

Ive always got a bitter feeling from Ant because he never made it in F1 like he felt he should have.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: September 16, 2010 10:24PM
Posted by: senninho
Interesting thread - I can't say I know much about Cox, so can't really give a fair opinion, but Ben Edward certainly did have his moments when commentating on CART. If he opts out of F1, fair enough, but it's a shame.

Tbh, i suspect Legard will finish the year - do bear in mind that the Daily Fail, who today accused Stephen Fry of 'leading a hate campaign against the pope'...

Totally agreed with people on Karun Chandhok though - the BBC need to do whatever they can to keep him in the commentary box. He's a genuinely top bloke.

Date: September 16, 2010 10:44PM
Posted by: J i m
I'd still rather see Karun in the race to be honest, his commentary can wait please :)

Date: September 16, 2010 11:52PM
Posted by: shep34
Charlie Cox?? Please no..... only really know of him from attempting to endure watching the Aussie series of Top Gear that was inflicted upon us back in 2008. Bloody awful!!! Thought Cox was quite painful to watch....
Date: September 17, 2010 06:26AM
Posted by: casabonka
Ahh, I was trying to think who Charlie Cox was.

I'd have to give up watching F1 if that was the case.... or at least test out the mute button!

2013 - Nando must come through..
Date: September 17, 2010 08:26AM
Ive always got a bitter feeling from Ant because he never made it in F1 like he felt he should have.

He always plays the pity card. After Le Mans he blamed Corvette for the accident he had (which is bullsh*t, and he only apologised after the abuse he got for it), and then tried to make out he didn;t push the Peugeot too hard when it finally blew up, despite setting lap records whilst pushing to catch the Audis.

I admire Ant as a driver, but he's such a prick about his failures and how it's everybody elses fault.

We had one example as recently as Sunday, in the press conference after the race. "Fernando, what was it like to see Jenson go in the pits? Did you think it was Christmas?" Even Alonso gave him a funny look. @#$%& off James. I've never understood how anybody could enjoy listening to him.

I've said it before, and I#ll say it again - Allen just added to the tabloid crap of ITVs production of the F1 shows. If you actually listen to what Steve Ryder and Mark Blundell said you'd realise just how terrible the quality was.

Steve: How important is it to get pole?
Mark: Well very, pole has an advantage.

Steve: How disappointed is he for retiring?
Mark: Very, he needed those points.

That isn't questions! That isn't adding anything to the show at all. It's just there to extend the post-race show to make it seem like they gave a crap. Allen was no better, and as shown by his press conference performance, it wasn't an act either. He really is just like that. He is FAR less irritating when in reporter mode, rather than commentator, but he still comes out with ridiculous rubbish at times too.

Oh, and big +1 to those that like Karun. He's awesome. Jenson was awesome at Monaco that year too.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: September 17, 2010 06:38PM
Posted by: Incident 2k9
J i m Wrote:
> I'd still rather see Karun in the race to be
> honest, his commentary can wait please :)

+1

One of the things that Legard does is overhype every laptime in Q3. 'And it's <insert driver>, is it gonna be good enough?' occurs every time regardless of how much time there is left. Ok, James Allen was awful, and we were all grateful that he didn't go to the BBC. But maybe it's time to move on to a new person.

Cox clearly isn't everyone's cup of tea, but he has a very unique, humourous style. I haven't heard of any of the others as I only watch F1 and MotoGP, but it's clear that someone that has a good chemistry with Martin is needed. He flourished with Murray, despaired with Allen, and the relationship between him and Legard has always seemed a bit tenuous. Essentially, someone is needed who helps deliver the information without being too patronising or by asking stupid questions.

This made me chuckle [www.dotdotdotcomma.com]

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
"My ambition is handicapped by laziness" - Charles Bukowski

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2010 06:48PM by Incident 2k9.
Date: September 26, 2010 01:39AM
Posted by: rapid_f1
[news.bbc.co.uk]

please watch q3 from today - he is so irritating. constantly cutting over brundle. croft is so much better. legard may be an alright bloke but he has no charisma, and is not suited to tv.

i thought when they dont talk the mics are down and when they want to talk they lift the mics upto their mouth. well if legard can see martin lift the mic to his mouth why is he talking? he must know martins about to talk. he is well out of his depth.

I.Tz No Problem
For all your home and business I.T needs
[www.itznoproblem.com]
enquiry@itznoproblem.com
Date: September 26, 2010 02:07AM
Posted by: Monza972
rapid_f1

[news.bbc.co.uk]

please watch q3 from today - he is so irritating. constantly cutting over brundle. croft is so much better. legard may be an alright bloke but he has no charisma, and is not suited to tv.

i thought when they dont talk the mics are down and when they want to talk they lift the mics upto their mouth. well if legard can see martin lift the mic to his mouth why is he talking? he must know martins about to talk. he is well out of his depth.

I just switched to the 5Live commentary. Didn't even bother with Legard or Brundle.
Date: September 26, 2010 12:04PM
Posted by: senninho
rapid_f1 Wrote:
> i thought when they dont talk the mics are down
> and when they want to talk they lift the mics upto
> their mouth. well if legard can see martin lift
> the mic to his mouth why is he talking? he must
> know martins about to talk. he is well out of his
> depth.

I think Murray and Martin had the best* system - Martin stood behind Murray, with his hand on his shoulder. When he wanted to talk, he gave him a squeeze. Easy.

* and, based on my description, the most homoerotic ;)

Date: September 26, 2010 12:16PM
Posted by: J i m
Martin also said that Murray used to sway from side to side.... and he had to try sway in sync, that they must have looked like a pair of windscreen wipers!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy