Legard to be ousted from BBC F1 commentary?

Posted by LS. 
Legard to be ousted from BBC F1 commentary?
Date: September 15, 2010 04:09PM
Posted by: LS.
Anyone else heard the runours?

Read on Twitter he could be getting the push, I hope David Croft gets the job if it's true

Rumours are Legards replacement is Charlie Cox, god i hope not, it's bad enough he's paid to spoil Moto Gp!

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/15/2010 04:12PM by LS..
Re: Legard to be ousted from BBC F1 commentary?
Date: September 15, 2010 04:28PM
Posted by: J i m
Well apparently Brundle has some sort of arrangement that blocks Crofty from commentating with him. Without wishing to sound nasty Legard is a lousy commentator... he's not annoying or irritating like James Allen... he's just not very good.

I doubt Cox would get the gig either... it's quite unusual to have both commentary spots to be filled by racing drivers, I'd have thought Maurice Hamilton would be a more likely figure to transfer across from the 5Live commentary to the TV.

Date: September 15, 2010 04:53PM
Posted by: JPM2002
Is Ben Edwards in the frame? I like his enthousiastic BTCC commentary, and he does the F1 DVD reviews aswell?
Date: September 15, 2010 05:08PM
Posted by: alonso0506
yes he does the dvd reviews and doing it great i think. would be cool to hear him and martin together.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"And thats the bottom line cause Alonso0506 said so"
Date: September 15, 2010 05:13PM
Posted by: zulu_85
If David Croft can't - or is not allowed to basically - swap over, I would prefer Ben Edwards. I've never had anything *too* bad to say against Legard, but then I never seemed to buy into the same level of hatred that everyone else showed towards James Allen. I have no experience of Cox as a commentator - I think the last time I remember seeing him was during that horrific accident he had in BTCC...sometime last century... - but I'm not exactly encouraged by the general opinion of him I've seen on Crash.net. :\ Maybe they should follow the tradition of getting the 'man in the pits' to replace the commentator and have Ted Kravitz join Martin..?
Date: September 15, 2010 05:27PM
JPM2002 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is Ben Edwards in the frame? I like his
> enthousiastic BTCC commentary, and he does the F1
> DVD reviews aswell?

I don't get the Ben Edwards thing at all, sure he's enthusiastic, but so was James Allen, and I find both of them get on my pip after 5 minutes.

Maurice Hamilton gets my vote, would prefer Crofty though, anyone know why Brundle has a beef with him?

LS's Tip of the week
Date: September 15, 2010 05:35PM
zulu_85 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> . I have no experience of Cox
> as a commentator - I think the last time I
> remember seeing him was during that horrific
> accident he had in BTCC...sometime last century...
> - but I'm not exactly encouraged by the general
> opinion of him I've seen on Crash.net.

He's basically Alf Stewart off home and away, just need him to utter the immortal line "flamin Mongrel" and, well you get the picture.

He's the Aussie equivalent of a hillbilly hick.

LS's Tip of the week
Date: September 15, 2010 05:40PM
Posted by: ipswich2007
Why does everybody speak badly of Coxy he is the most enthusiastic commentator since Murray, he knows what he's on about too (as does Brundle) because he was a racing driver.

Plus his voice is perfectly suited for high action sport. The days of Murray & Coxy doing the BTCC were epic, didn't get annoying even for a second, it was brilliant, the MotoGP commentary is great with him too, very much backing him for the BBC1 commentary job :)

Also Ben Edwards again is not annoying either, again he is so enthuiastic about his job and the sport he makes it a joy to listen/watch the BTCC for 6 hours on a Sunday.

Having a race driver as a commentator is great because they actually know what they are on about, Legard, Allen, Crofty all get on my nerves with their mistakes. Chandhok puts Crofty in the shade when he joins them for Free Practice, again mostly because - he knows what he's talking about.

Brundle & Cox would , in my mind, be the ultimate combo of commentators, only beaten by Clive James' commentaries on the 80's F1 Reviews :P

Date: September 15, 2010 06:46PM
Posted by: 97kirkc
Its very unlikely to ever be Ben Edwards. He was favourite to replace Murray ahead of Allen and at several other points since then but turned it down as he doesn't want to spend all year commuting round the world and wants to be close to home, supposedly for family reasons. He used to commentate on F1 previously on Eurosport/F1Digital+ so it's not like he's turning something down he hasn't done before.

The article by the Mail where this originates from is slightly confusing the way it has been written (no surprises there as this is the Daily Mail). It seems to state as if the BBC Team are behind Legard except for Martin who is in favour of the change for "another commentator" (Charlie Cox we assume), but I'm not sure how true this is. The author of the article, Charles Sale, is apparently quite well known to be accurate with this sort of thing and is quite respected.

The BBC stance on this seems to be they want one pro commentator (Brundle) and one not, so the one that isn't can still connect with the casual or new fan, although I'm not sure if this is really needed.

Article link: [www.dailymail.co.uk] (about half way down the article)

Date: September 15, 2010 06:56PM
Posted by: Incident 2k9
I think that to spice it up, they should get Jon Culshaw. Then he could impersonate many commentators during one race.

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
"My ambition is handicapped by laziness" - Charles Bukowski
Date: September 15, 2010 06:57PM
Posted by: J i m
Since I don't feel like an IQ reduction this evening.... I'm not going to click that link.

Date: September 15, 2010 07:39PM
Posted by: gav
I realise a lot aren't fans of the Cox & Parrish combo on the BBC MotoGP coverage, and try to watch Eurosport instead, but I love them. It's so laid back and casual. It's like watching the race with a couple of mates over a pint in a quiet local. I know the ins and outs of the sport, so I'm quite happy listening to their banter without feeling the need for them to go in deeper.

I'd love Croft to get the position (with his free practice commentary he's totally won me over after his GP2 horror shows, where he appeared to know sod all and looked way out of his depth), but failing that Cox would be a vast improvement on the monotonous Legard.

Can't see Ben Edwards doing it. Despite him being most people's first choice for the past decade, he seems perfectly happy doing the Reviews and the BTCC, where he looks at home. I certainly wouldn't complain though!
Date: September 15, 2010 09:20PM
Posted by: matt3454
My choice would be Croft or James Allen. I never could see the hatred for Allen.

Kravitz has the possibilty to be decent in the box.

Date: September 15, 2010 09:48PM
Posted by: chet
Kravitz is best where he is atm imo.

Charlie Cox or Karun Chandock are my favourites :p

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: September 15, 2010 10:10PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
Well you can't put Karun in with Martin anyway. 2 drivers won't work well.

Charlie Cox please. As much as I enjoy Croft commentating in the FPs, he's WAY out of his depth and is just irritating in races.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: September 15, 2010 10:12PM
Posted by: JPM2002
[url=

]Ben Edwards at his best[/url]
Date: September 15, 2010 10:13PM
Posted by: andrew_S
Cox wouldnt be bad - I always loved his BTCC efforts as the main man with John Watson in the booth. Hows this for a shout - (if you know him) john hindhaugh is the man for the job, a real motorsport fan, rather than these adopted fans such as crofty (as good as he is) and legard. although his distain for everything mundain about F1 (in many cases wrongly, and in many cases rightly) could cause a problem...
for those that dont recognise the name :

[archive.dailysportscar.com]

but then again, if you don't recognise him that probably won't help!

Failing that, Martin Haven

------------------------------------

24 Heures Du Mans 18-19 June 2005

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/15/2010 10:16PM by andrew_S.
Date: September 15, 2010 11:25PM
Posted by: Monza972
Speaking of Legard; who instantly switched on the Crofty/Chandhok commentary for Monza?. I mean I like to listen with Ant but with Chandhok having actually raced this year. It's a lot more interesting.

And Legard going. H-E-A-V-E-N!
Date: September 15, 2010 11:37PM
Posted by: harjinator
I'd quite happily sacrifice brundle so we could get croft in there. But Charlie Cox would be legendary - motoGP's had quite a dull year - the only reason i can keep watching the races is down to the entertainment value of the commentators - they know their stuff, and are entertaining with it - presenting what facts are necessary, and showing the right level of passion for an impartial observer

Team Japan Owner - GPGNC
Date: September 16, 2010 01:37AM
Charlie Cox for me is too Australian, he's been over here far too long to be coming out with the aussie colloquialisms, even Webber doesnt come out the phrases he comes out with.

I loved him in BTCC, but pinnacle Motorsport nah thanks.

Steve Parrish is ok as hes been there done it, but Cox is the commentry version of Chris Moyles imho

Might as well have Dame Edna for the cliche that Cox is

Must look at sources for F1 commentry feed if its true

LS's Tip of the week
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy