> > So vettel slows down with a "problem", Webber
> goes
> > through and then next lap he does a personal
> best?
> > Just sayin :p
>
> After changing the engine mapping settings on the
> wheel.

TF1 commentator said that it was a brake problem after ascari for Vettel, one disc was still blocking
Re: Official Italian Grand Prix 2010 Thread ***SPOILERS***
Date: September 12, 2010 10:55PM
Posted by: J i m
Good race I thought.

The almost race long duel between Button and Alonso reminded me of Schumacher v Montoya in 2003, ultimately processional... but both going hammer n tongs flat out all the way and actually pretty gripping to follow.

Great start by Button and a extremely impressive performance to get as close to the win as he did when you consider the damage to the diffuser and and end-plate, but in my eyes the only thing that lost him the win today was simply losing 9 tenths to Alonso in the pits, had the McLaren stop been just a tenth quicker... Button would have probably kept the lead. Great drive by Alonso to keep up the relentless pressure as well... he's suddenly back in the championship hunt.

Good recovery by Vettel... strong drive with minimal lunacy for once which is more like it (Y). More solid results for Rosberg, can't work out if that was what the car should deliver or if he over delivered and perhaps should have been beaten by both Red Bulls and a Renault. Good entertainment by Hulkenberg, his pace was pretty good this weekend, trounced Barrichello... but he needs to stop driving like a Formula Ford driver <M>

Too bad for Hamilton... a bit unfortunate, but mistakes happen, it's good that he had a go.

Date: September 12, 2010 11:41PM
Posted by: zulu_85
I've seen that rumour about Petrov and Lotus-Renault, Frantic. I think it makes perfect sense apart from I'm really not sure whether Trulli will retire this year. I mean, he might, he doesn't seem a guy who enjoys racing around the back of the field, but he never would have signed for Lotus without knowing that any form of success would be long-term. He was on the BBC Forum with Tony Fernandez and while he tellingly declared that his weekend kinda summed up his whole season he and Tony still looked positively towards next year. Don't know though. At any rate I'd find it very hard to believe that they would willingly dump Heikki and that said, while Trulli may seem to be losing his will to trundle about at the back, both he and Heikki are a good pair, neither significantly out-performing the other.

As for Vitaly - I'd like to see him stay at Renault. I've seen talk about that contract clause as well but he is still a rookie and Kubica is still one of the quickest out there. I don't know whether Renault overestimated Petrov's chances to score points or moreover underestimated Kubica's chances. The Renault is much better than last year's but Kubica has been punching above his weight in almost every Grand Prix this year although, yes, Petrov's making too many errors that muddy an otherwise gleaming potential (imo). It's an awkward swings and roundabouts thing - he stays at Renault which gives him a car and screen-time to make a name for himself, but he's going to always be compared to his team-mate and it's going to be difficult to establish himself against a driver like Kubica. Petrov could go to Lotus, or Virgin (hypothetically) but the problem is, do we know whether Lucas Di Grassi is doing a good job in F1 or not? Compare him to his team-mate, why not, but, otherwise, he appears on the TV screen, what, 5 times a weekend, his car usually too slow to keep up with the Lotus and too fast for the HRT so...?

In the meantime, if I'm brutally honest however, if Renault want to re-enter the hunt for championships again, they've got an ideal driver in Kubica but they need a much stronger second driver than Petrov is at the moment.
On another note the wise eye would have spotted Chandok's dad come out of the Lotus Paddock Home thing....hmmmmmm

Date: September 13, 2010 11:42AM
Chandok is a guy who at least deserves another go. There's got to be a bonus factor for having an Indian driver at an Indian GP next year which Chandok faithfully predicts will have very strong ticket sales regardless. That said, Indian megabucks have been slow to back him, why else would HRT dump him for Yamamoto? Still, makes you think, if Sutil leaves for Renault and Luizzi is dropped in favour of Paul di Resta (unless of course they field both) - it would seem a perfect match to get Chandok into the other Force India seat.

Looks like the Lotus-Renault deal will go ahead with Cosworth announcing that they're leaving the team, apparently. No word yet on the drivers for next year - that may well come at Singapore. At Singapore however it seems that Sauber will have dropped Pedro De La Rosa in favour of Nick Heidfeld. Guess we'll have to see (a; whether it's actually true first, but) whether Heidfeld signs a long-term contract or just takes the seat for the rest of the year and is immediate back in the market. With Glock seemingly tied to Virgin and Raikkonen probably never coming back, Heidfeld to me seems like the most suitable candidate for the second Renault seat.

I'm talking though like Petrov and Chandok *have* to be anywhere next year (I just really want them to be in F1 still) - what with the GP2 drivers championship finishing up on Sunday, you're kinda left thinking that Maldonado and Perez et al might feel like they deserve a go in F1 as well. There's not a great deal of room for them at the moment.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2010 11:44AM by zulu_85.
Bit of fun here, but this was made by Ajay, on theRacingLine.net. It is the championship table the "B-Class".

Chandok was actually leading before he was taken from the HRT seat.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Instead of Trulli retiring, why not send him to Renault for a final year?

He would be a reliable back-up, probably scoring a couple of points each round, and every now and then would put in a great performance.

Kovalainen would want a longer deal if he was traded to Renault, but Trulli would probably accept a one-year deal.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: September 13, 2010 08:09PM
Posted by: Slash
nice onboard footage

&feature=related

great save!!

undrievable
Fantastic videos, thanks for posting!

Yes, that was an incredible save from Massa!

Also, Webber was possibly lucky that Schumacher got past him around Curva Grande, because he seemed to gain an unfair advantage by cutting the 1st chicane, and could have been investigated

X (@ed24f1)
Date: September 13, 2010 09:10PM
Posted by: gav
SchueyFan
Also, Webber was possibly lucky that Schumacher got past him around Curva Grande, because he seemed to gain an unfair advantage by cutting the 1st chicane, and could have been investigated

It was Vettel who cut the chicane.

Webber lost all his ground when running wide at the Roggia chicane, falling behind Vettel and Schumacher.

Still, I'd imagine this is the reason why Hulkenberg wasn't finally hauled over the coals after this 3rd trip across the chicane - in doing so he actually lost quite a bit of ground and gave Webber a run at him. He did keep the position, but he didn't gain any time - it's quite a subjective on how you apply "gaining an advantage"... yay... F1 with more subjective rules. :D

It was good that Webber got past him eventually though - the pinnacle of single-seaters doesn't need people finishing so high up despite being unable to brake.
Date: September 13, 2010 10:13PM
SchueyFan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Instead of Trulli retiring, why not send him to
> Renault for a final year?
>
> He would be a reliable back-up, probably scoring a
> couple of points each round, and every now and
> then would put in a great performance.
>
> Kovalainen would want a longer deal if he was
> traded to Renault, but Trulli would probably
> accept a one-year deal.

Good point! :)
Date: September 13, 2010 11:02PM
Posted by: senninho
Slash Wrote:
> nice onboard footage
>
>

&feature
> =related
>
> great save!!
>
>

>
> undrievable

Great finds, Slash :)

Impressive reactions from Massa, and a blinder from Schumacher - every now and then, there's a reminder of what he used to be like. Kinda makes you wonder how much truth there is in the car not being suited to him.

As a slight aside, I read an interesting article on autosport.com about how he missed a trick in not dropping out of the race seat to go and be the Pirelli test driver. The suggestion was that, not only could he re-sharpen himself away from the prying eyes of the media, he would also be able to steer the new tyres toward his own style, ensuring that the 2011 season would have the drivers on 'his' tyres, á la Bridgestone...

Date: September 13, 2010 11:54PM
Posted by: gav
It depends on what Schumacher's motivation is.

If he's just bored and wanted to come back, then it's fine. He'll be happy enough getting his adrenaline rush in the mid-field and mixing it up front when he can, hopefully moving forward each of the 3 seasons and playing with the big-boys if it's possible.

If he's wanting to challenge for wins, podiums or titles then obviously 2010 was out of the question, so he might as well look forward to 2011... if he was offered a chance to test for Pirelli and turned it down, then that's probably a mistake. Still, 2010 was a waste in terms of results, so he might as well enjoy it as much as he can - it's not like he was going to get anything out of it anyway, and if he's guaranteed a seat for 2011 then he's hardly going to have the motivation of an up-and-comer to dig deep to fight for the lower end points score.

I've still no problem with having him there. Heidfeld might have been marginally better, but I think Rosberg would have still beaten him comprehensively. Schumacher will improve if he gets input which for the first time ever BAR/Honda/Brawn/Merc can actually implement.

My problem is the team. They've only had a race-winning car once, and that was with a significant rules change which they nailed - and even then it defined a knife-ege of a car. Now that Mercedes has taken it over, will the direction change? Can they improve a car? Can they design a new car again? Nothing they've thrown on the car this year has shown anything is different from the Honda days. I wouldn't hold much hope for the car to be what's needed next year, either for Schumacher or Nico... I just think it'll be fighting in the mid-field again.

Looking away from Schumacher, how many drivers would have been a better choice? I'm struggling to think of many. Heidfeld marginally. It would have been interesting to see Sutil in a 'big' team. Glock seems happy to move Virgin forward, but would have been a good choice. Erm... Buemi? Heikki's OK in a midfield team. The only other driver I can think of within the F1 circus is Kamui, and he's still very much got a lot to improve on before he gets into a top team, though he's getting there slowly. Maybe this year it has been a wasted seat, but the other contenders wouldn't have offered much more, and none anything like the draw to sponsors which Schumacher can offer like no other driver...ever.
Date: September 14, 2010 01:35AM
Posted by: chet
This year the car has a fundemental problem, a problem which cant be cured without an almost brand new car, and for a team of their size that wasnt ideal.

If next year they have not improved then it could spell the end for MS, and how much more patient will Merc be?

Renault have had a very bad 07-09 but this year their development rate and understanding of the car/regs has been amazing. Renault are the team to watch over the next few seasons imo, Merc could well be pushed even further back! Likewise with Williams and Barachello's input, that team has been going nowhere but up!

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: September 14, 2010 01:41AM
Posted by: Fincent
Dont know if anyone else has seen this. Remember that ambulance in the pits for that HRT mechanic?

Circuit Thermalito

Liverpool Waterfront Circuit (WIP)
Date: September 14, 2010 04:37AM
Posted by: Slash
gav Wrote:
> It depends on what Schumacher's motivation is.

absolutely, is like Bernie says, for a driver like Michael who won everything there is to win, whats the point to push like hell to achieve a 4th place?.. unlike his teammate he has nothing to prove and there is no real chance to fight for victories with the current car... but on the other side Michael says that he's still pushing all he has as he does it for himself... i'm sure Michael will never reach the level he had in Ferrari but atm no driver in the grid has it either... i'm sure if Michael has a car capable of fighting up front he can take it with the big guys and battle against them with no problem.

chet Wrote:
> Williams and Barachello's input, that team has
> been going nowhere but up!

without a doubt, and it's nice to see them up there, if you ask me they belong in the top..

i really believe the new tyres will spice a lot of thing next year and all the driver will start from 0 in terms of understanding them and getting to grips with them... that's where Michael could capitalize and make a good jump.. i have no doubt he can fight wheel to wheel with anyone on the grid, as gav mentiones, his first laps on every gp since Melbourne have been exceptional, so his fighting skiils seem intact
actually there were 3 races in a row where schuey was really on the pace (as much as the merc. alllowed him to be) ---> Turkey, Spain, Monaco.
Was that because mercedes changed the balance of the car more to schumacher's liking ?? And did they reverse the weight distribution again to the way that didnt suit schumacher afterwards ?
i just wanna know if his bad results after the good ones were down to the car being changed to it's old self after Istanbul, or was the car still the one with the preferable weight balance for schumacher ?
thanks
Date: September 14, 2010 11:01AM
Posted by: Ali
mitadumapaga Wrote:
> actually there were 3 races in a row where schuey
> was really on the pace (as much as the merc.
> alllowed him to be) ---> Turkey, Spain, Monaco.
> Was that because mercedes changed the balance of
> the car more to schumacher's liking ?? And did
> they reverse the weight distribution again to the
> way that didnt suit schumacher afterwards ?
> i just wanna know if his bad results after the
> good ones were down to the car being changed to
> it's old self after Istanbul, or was the car still
> the one with the preferable weight balance for
> schumacher ?
> thanks

I also think that the car is lacking the same development pace as the big ones. Maybe they are already focused on the 2011 car, but Mercedes is far behind the top three and quite matched to Williams and Renault, so a 5th or 6th place before could be now a 9th 10th place easily.
For the first races of the year they were not that far from the big 3.
Date: September 14, 2010 11:49AM
Posted by: chet
I dont think its a case of Merc lacking development compared to the big ones, more so that because of the fundemental issues with the car, their developments seem to have little effect...

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy