FIA To Increase the Front Wing Test

Posted by marcl 
FIA To Increase the Front Wing Test
Date: August 01, 2010 08:25PM
Posted by: marcl
At last! They are increasing the weight test to 100KG

[www.autosport.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2010 08:26PM by marcl.
Re: FIA To Increase the Front Wing Test
Date: August 01, 2010 08:55PM
Posted by: Nickv
Good to hear they've listened to me.
Date: August 01, 2010 08:58PM
Shall be interesting to see what happens now, thing is I do not think Ferrari or RBR would run them at the next 2 races anyway as they slow the car down in a straight line.
Date: August 01, 2010 09:19PM
Posted by: gav
So they've doubled the weight, but doubled the amount of deflection allowed too.

Frankly I think the existing wings will pass that fairly easily (the only point they move further is when the car is cornering at speed and the chassis is obviously pitching over).
Date: August 01, 2010 09:53PM
Posted by: chet
Nickv Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Good to hear they've listened to me.

Nick for FIA president :p

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: August 01, 2010 10:25PM
Posted by: Morbid
The way Webber is whining in the press makes me think these new tests are close to the mark...

... sorry for the pun, but I couldn't resist it.

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
Date: August 01, 2010 11:10PM
Posted by: EC83
chet Wrote:
> Nickv Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Good to hear they've listened to me.
>
>
> Nick for FIA president :p

Certainly Nick to be one of the stewards at Spa, then let's see what happens :P

Date: August 02, 2010 03:41AM
It's a pointless test, there is no point in doubling the allowance along with the weight really.
Date: August 02, 2010 03:49AM
Posted by: Morbid
Why?

The best theory atm, is that creative use of materials give the wings the ability to flex exponentially with linear application of load. Doubling the weight and flex allowance will expose that.

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
Date: August 02, 2010 10:01AM
Posted by: alexf1man
Finally the end of flexi wing gate!!!
Date: August 02, 2010 11:11AM
Posted by: DaveEllis
alexf1man Wrote:
> Finally the end of flexi wing gate!!!

No it isn't. People will still complain when these new wings pass the tests. Seems marcl is a headline reader, not an article reader since they've also extended the amount of deflection allowed.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: August 02, 2010 12:43PM
Yes which is what I don't get dave. I read the whole thing btw. They are allowing more flex etc but doubling the weight, so how will it work? This is the bit I do not understand. If you can explain please it will help.

The way I am reading it is the wings are legal and the other teams will just have to make them now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/2010 12:55PM by marcl.
Date: August 02, 2010 12:46PM
Posted by: rapid_f1
am i right in saying they have 2 weeks shutdown now and then the 2 weeks after that they can continue working before spa?

also I did about 1 term of materials engineering at uni and the things that you can alanlyse from simply melting a material and analysing all the properties etc and how by looking at a graph, a professor would say if this line was slightly extended here, the material in real life would do this, blah blah and it was just fascinating and we had some multi million pound equipment at uni, god knows what the teams have got.

I.Tz No Problem
For all your home and business I.T needs
[www.itznoproblem.com]
enquiry@itznoproblem.com
Date: August 02, 2010 01:01PM
Posted by: DaiMOn
I doubt that the new tests will change anything... There are much stronger forces on the track what make the endplates move than 100 kg....
Date: August 02, 2010 01:01PM
Posted by: Nickv
marcl Schreef:
> Yes which is what I don't get dave. I read the
> whole thing btw. They are allowing more flex etc
> but doubling the weight, so how will it work?
> This is the bit I do not understand. If you can
> explain please it will help.
>
> The way I am reading it is the wings are legal and
> the other teams will just have to make them now.

The FIA will allow increasing deflection that's linear to increasing weight. In the old regulations, there was the same rule which applied to 10mm and 50kg. RedBull's and Ferrari's wings started bending heavily after, for instance, 60 or 70kg. Much heavier than linear. Now the deflection and the weight have been increased, it will be clear that the wings of those teams are deflecting much more than the allowed linear deflection and can be declared illegal.
Date: August 02, 2010 01:29PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
The problem with the 50kg/10mm regulations is they were designed in 2001. Yes, 2001. When the wings were thinner. Since then they have been raised, lowered, made wider and technology has come a long way. 100Kg and 20mm? I see no issue occurring. They will all pass and then everyone else will have to make something new, until the 2011 regs come along.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: August 02, 2010 02:33PM
Posted by: Dahie
DaiMOn schrieb:
> I doubt that the new tests will change anything...
> There are much stronger forces on the track what
> make the endplates move than 100 kg....

Not that much actually, depending on the speed. Somebody did some basic math: [scarbsf1.wordpress.com]

Website | Blog | Twitter | CTDP: Site Blog Twitter
Date: August 02, 2010 04:01PM
Posted by: chet
marcl - i dont think it's a linear response. (note, im not too sure :p)

By that i mean, just because the load is double, the deflection isnt always double.

Im not materials expert but I think when woven in a specific way (as mentioned) carbon fibre has some highly interesting elasticity. This is one of the main reason's aircraft wing tips are made from it, and now almost whole wings.

I dont see the point in changing the load test because i think your right, it wont make a difference. However I think it's so Todt can say to Brawn and Whitmarsh, "we've done something to satisfy your needs, now fix your own cars."

But i agree with others, id be supprised if larger, more specific reg changes are not made for 2011.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: August 03, 2010 12:37AM
Posted by: Slash
the way i understand, FIA wants to test the consistency of the flex. that way if they pass the test, which is likely, Mclaren and Mercedez would just shut up
Date: August 03, 2010 01:55AM
Posted by: loren
hmmm if I recall CFRP is reasonably linear stuff, though you can make it turn in some funny directions with asymetrical layups. There are some materials out there (weird metals and such) though that are highly nonlinear & still elastic. I wouldn't be suprised if teams were to use something like this in the mounts, if you watch some of the cars from about 2000 you can see that the entire front wing would rotate to lie flat at speed
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy