2010 British Grand Prix ****SPOILERS****

Posted by J i m 
2010 British Grand Prix ****SPOILERS****
Date: July 04, 2010 02:25PM
Posted by: J i m
So who's going (spectator or hospitality temp)?

I'm going after a hiatus of 3 years, back in 2007 I decided that I didn't want to be stuck elbow to elbow in a load of Lewis Hamilton bandwagoners. But this year I decided to rape my bank account to see what difference if any the new arena section makes to the viewing experience.

I'll let someone else put up track maps + stats etc because I wouldn't want to steal your thunders :P but one thing I love about the British Grand Prix is that it often marks a change in the form book and can throw up a un-expected (if not result) then certainly performance. This year should be no different because the form between the teams and drivers is fluctuating wildly at the moment. The sensible money would go on Red Bull because they still clearly have the fastest car on just about any track.... but it's fragility and the fact that McLaren have simply been working better as a team so far... their much mooted big update due for this race (and Red Bull's lack of update) must be a very inviting prospect for them.

Again... Silverstone has a habit of throwing up novelty performances... I can sense another merited podium for Kubica maybe even to the extent of a genuine victory chance, at 33/1 it's definitely an attractive outside bet.

Furthermore, typically there's a good chance of rain on the Sunday... so if we get a wet race on recent evidence Jenson Button to the fore with inspired tyre choices, at 15/2 it's worth a modest punt regardless. For me though and this is more heart than logic talking... I'm sorely tempted to have a flutter on Barrichello at 175/1 , a drastically improved performance at Valencia with further updates due at Silverstone.... my thought process is that Silverstone + Rain + Randomness + Barrichello = Epic Win. Sure it's a extremely long shot... but that is what would make it a epic win... no point in betting on Hamilton or Vettel... because you'd have to bet stupid amounts to make a decent return... and if they lose you look stupid. Put a smaller amount on a long outsider... and in the event of it coming up trumps you look like a lucky genius.

So who's going and what are your plans?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2010 12:52PM by mortal.
Re: 2010 British Grand Prix
Date: July 04, 2010 02:37PM
Posted by: RebelWithoutaCause
Jenson Button will blew away lewis hamilton infront of their homecrowd by taking 1st Position, whilst either of ferrar driver is on third position.
Date: July 04, 2010 02:37PM
Posted by: chet
Predicting weather now? Dangerous ;)!

Should be a great race. Not sure how the new layout will compliment the cars. Worked well for bikes though it seemed.

Looking forward to a great race though, we've had one bad race (borerain) this season and 1 almost bad race (valenica). Now when we go to one of the best tracks in the world all things point to a great race.

I think here will see how big Ferrari's/Renaults/Mclarens/Merc's updates have helped.

Mercedes ran a compramised setup in Valencia regarding their bodywork. They under-estimated the heating effect on the wishbones. Ferrari showed strong but track posistion is king in F1. Renault have a kubica, so you know they will be there somewhere.

Will Mclaren topple RBR? Not so sure!!

If it does rain we've seen the Mclaren enjoys the wet. Full wet = Lewis domination like 08. Mixed conditions = A strong JB but as we know mixed conditions will bring a lottery!

MY suprise package for the weekend, Rubens :D! In wet or mixed conditions a top 4 ;-)! In dry a top 6!

I hope!

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: July 05, 2010 11:24AM
Posted by: marwood82
i'll be sat at stowe. decided to move from our usual spot as the early bird tickets were pretty cheap.

also looking forward to seeing what this new 'official' circuit campsite is like.(though lets face it, it is not possible for it to be a bigger rip-off than litchlake)

a spot of rain on race day could be quite nice otherwise i fear a red bull demolition like last year.
Date: July 05, 2010 11:31AM
So you emptied your bank account for a grandstand? :P

I did that a few times... had woodcote, pit-straight, stowe in the past, it's good to have a seat reserved and a elevated view... but I'm not that keen on the grandstands in general and have opted for general admission this time. I guess my race day viewing slot will be dictated by where isn't completely and utterly packed by the time I arrive :P

Date: July 05, 2010 12:30PM
Posted by: marwood82
yeah i tend to alternate between grandstands and general entry.

Silverstone is pretty good for general admission, you get some decent views. and you can sit around most of the circuit (not sure how the new section will work?)

in the end, it was the dropping of the grandstand price to 190 for the weekend + them now offering their own campsite at a vaguely reasonable price which swung it.

i don't tend to mind getting up at 6am to get a spot, done it in Spa the last few years(another place where general admission is great value), i just fancied having a more chilled out sunday morning this year.

+ i think if you have a grandstand ticket, its a roaming ticket for friday + possibly saturday?, so i plan on trying to catch at least one of the practice sessions from the pit straight!
Date: July 05, 2010 01:44PM
Having been privileged enough to have had media passes at Silverstone for general things in the past I have a reasonably solid knowledge of where 's best to view. But like you... I don't know what access to the new arena we'll have as public. In theory they'll have to bring back centre transfer for it, unless they simply intend on it being viewable via Becketts etc.

My general plan is roam around as much as feel like it on Friday... and get most of my photography done on that day, (hopefully slightly less crowds, I hate taking pictures with my elbows pressed in :P)

Probably roam as much as the crowd situation allows on Saturday and on Sunday get there as early as poss, and simply sit in the same place all day.

Re: 2010 British Grand Prix ****SPOILERS****
Date: July 05, 2010 04:38PM
Posted by: EC83
We've had the nicest start to a summer for several years at least, so there is a good chance we could have a great weekend of weather for the race. Famous last words.

Regarding being a spectator at the British GP - I went there in 1999. As a big Schumacher fan. And I was sat in the VIP stand at Stowe. :P

Date: July 05, 2010 06:27PM
Posted by: DJSKYLINE
I want to go but im working this year so cant :(

Date: July 05, 2010 09:58PM
Posted by: chet
EC83 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> We've had the nicest start to a summer for several
> years at least, so there is a good chance we could
> have a great weekend of weather for the race.
> Famous last words.

lol.

Weather seems to be turning though :(

I keep waking up in the morning expecting storms. This really has been the nicest start to summer in a long while!

Just been driving the new layout on rfactor (not a great benchmark I know) but its become one of my favourite rfactor tracks to drive! Cant say I ever liked the abbey chicane but that right-hander that now exits club was fun on rf! At least in the a game it was a very fun section to drive, all of it. It was a section which made you want to try go that little bit quicker each time...

And again, only going from rf so most likley will be wrong, but the circuit seems to be split into two. One for the highspeed cornering and the other about braking and traction.

I read on Atlas F1 that Ant D said the curbs at maggots and becketts were also lowered for the motogp and he reckons it will just urge the drivers to push alot harder in that section :)

It's one of them sites I got to see before long. A modern F1 going through maggots and becketts. I can only imagine how awesome it must look!

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: July 05, 2010 11:02PM
It's fairly impressive.

My best memory of it though is during a GP2 race... in a incident which involved Piquet, Hamilton and some random in the middle. Predictably Hamilton went in 3rd of that little gaggle, pulled off a manoeuvre that ought to have be impossible and emerged ahead of both Piquet and Mr nameless random.

I remember looking up from my camera view finder just in time to see it through my own eyes...which was epic... but a shame to miss the picture opportunity.

Date: July 06, 2010 02:27PM
Posted by: alexf1man
I haven't been since 2006 when I was in the grandstand on the start finish straight.

It was great to see the pitstops in front of me, and Hamilton on top of the podium for the GP2 race :)

-----

However, I have seen some very sad news, especially for those who have booked a room at the Premier Inn Hotel in Brackley Hatch :( See the link below:

[www.gpupdate.net]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/2010 02:36PM by alexf1man.
Date: July 06, 2010 06:46PM
Posted by: LS.
I'm going on sunday and bringing along a mate who's recently converted from Football to F1

Can't wait to see his reaction when he sees/hears an F1 car for real rather than on TV, I can still remember how I felt over 10 years ago when I finally went to see a race

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/2010 06:48PM by LS..
Date: July 08, 2010 11:31AM
Posted by: raulongo
Past winners...

2009: J. Button (BrawnGP)
2008: L. Hamilton (McLaren)
2007: K. Raikkonen (Ferrari)
2006: F. Alonso (Renault)
2005: J.P. Montoya (McLaren)
2004: M. Schumacher (Ferrari)
2003: R. Barrichello (Ferrari)
2002: M. Schumacher (Ferrari)
2001: M. Hakkinen (Mclaren)
2000: D. Coulthard (Mclaren)
1999: D. Coulthard (Mclaren)
1998: M. Schumacher (Ferrari)
1997: J. Villeneuve (Williams)
1996: J. Villeneuve (Williams)
1995: J. Herbert (Benetton)
1994: D. Hill (Williams)
1993: A. Prost (Williams)
1992: N. Mansell (Williams)
1991: N. Mansell (Williams)
1990: A. Prost (Ferrari)
1989: A. Prost (Ferrari)
1988: A. Senna (McLaren)

And a few videos...

raulgullon.com -
Wedding and Motorsports Photography.
Date: July 08, 2010 11:44AM
Button won last year? And here was me thinking he trailed in behind Massa and Rosberg whilst Vettel rompled ahead of everyone :P

Date: July 08, 2010 12:11PM
Posted by: marcl
I love it how everyone is trying to cause problems within the Mclaren team.

Yes the 2 drivers might clash sooner or later on the track, but I really think that will only happen if the title is just between Lewis and Button.
Date: July 08, 2010 12:12PM
Posted by: elemental
LS. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm going on sunday and bringing along a mate
> who's recently converted from Football to F1
>
> Can't wait to see his reaction when he sees/hears
> an F1 car for real rather than on TV, I can still
> remember how I felt over 10 years ago when I
> finally went to see a race

So can I...

Bored. Disappointed. I'd much rather have stayed at home. Had to abandon the grandstand seats at Silverstone since we had absolutely no idea what was going on, ended up sitting by the first corner on a metal fence all day getting a sore arse. It was apparently a really good race but to me, it was just cars going past with a bigger gap between them each lap. Oh and everything at the circuit was ridiculously expensive. I really don't get what people enjoy about going to grand prixs.
Date: July 08, 2010 12:34PM
Perhaps you were doing it wrong.

True things at a Grand Prix are insanely expensive, and the track-side catering is usually pretty suspect, and the noise will drawn out the track-side commentary so it will get hard to follow after a few laps. It's also pot luck how good a view a grandstand seat will provide, so it's always a bit of a gamble paying over the odds for one.

But there's still plenty to enjoy... use general admission and rove around as much as you can... obviously not very do-able during the F1 race it self... But seeing a F1 car in action through your own eyes and ears instead of via a TV is an experience many people go back for... in-spite of all the inconvenience that go with it. Plus people there are generally pretty enthusiastic and knowledgeable... so you can always strike up good conservations.

There's an atmosphere at a race.... it's difficult to describe... but it's kind of a sense of anticipation mixed in with a sense of history... and you can even smell it... a mix of food, weather, and racing car. It's intoxicating... but if your'e expecting the lounge armchair experience track-side... then you're always going to be disappointed.

Date: July 08, 2010 01:08PM
Posted by: LS.
True you get better entertainment from watching on tv as the race unfolds but what you don't get are the sounds and smell, and to see how twitchy the cars are at speed, tv sanitises that

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat
Date: July 08, 2010 01:09PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
Even for that, the F1 is horrifically expensive. Sportscars ftw.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy