Posted by J i m 
Re: 2010 British Grand Prix ****SPOILERS****
Date: July 16, 2010 05:06AM
Posted by: Guimengo
I remember when F1 rookies were 25.
Date: July 16, 2010 11:20AM
Posted by: J i m
It is worth considering that Alguersuari came straight from F3 into F1... in an era of much reduced testing. Button and Raikkonen for example came in at as similar age and similar level of experience... but had large winter test programmes to get them up to speed not to mention more consistently competitive cars and a much more experienced team-mate to boot.

Date: July 16, 2010 02:29PM
Posted by: chet
Still, I think Alg now has enough experience to show progress, but ive seen little.

Buemi has been on-off like last year imo. He's either very very quick or just average. Then im not too sure how much of it is down to the team and car? It's based on the RB5 but further developed, so id expect it to be quicker than it is. It's difficult to know, but what would really be a judge is if STR paint their car in RBR colours and tell Vettel it's his :p. As much as i dislike Vettel he is the only reason that team scored as many points as they did with him. As soon as he left it all went downhil again. STR miss a quick a driver (whos quick all the time). Buemi isnt consistant enough and Jamie doesnt qualify well so suffers for races, where he appears as quick as Buemi.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: July 17, 2010 12:38AM
Posted by: Slash
Ferrari 'not asked' to let Kubica pass

[www.autosport.com]

Ferrari was not given an immediate order by the FIA for Fernando Alonso to give back his position to Robert Kubica at Silverstone, according to newly-published information relating to the pit wall radio conversations that took place during the British Grand Prix.

------------------------------------

click the link to see detailed information, according to Ferrari, about the events after Alonso's pass on Kubica.... now i don't really know what to think....

i hope next time stewards, whoever they are, act a little bit faster, as they did in the past
Date: July 18, 2010 08:31PM
Posted by: Frantic
it was obvious that stewards would act slowly with a drama queen that complains about almost everything like Mansell

Date: July 18, 2010 11:36PM
Posted by: gav
Mansell was still moaning when he was winning everything in sight. Alonso's not dropped to that level... yet. ;)
Date: July 19, 2010 01:15AM
Posted by: Slash
Well I certainly hope the reason, stewards are taking too long to make decisions lately is just an isolated incident, rather than being manipulated by the opinion that the driver in question might have

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/19/2010 01:17AM by Slash.
Date: July 19, 2010 11:19AM
The main problem was they were punishing Alonso after the race had progressed so much. Kubica's retirement should have put to rest any idea of Alonso getting a penalty.

Looking forward to Hockenhiem! Long range weather forecasts show unpredictability!!!! We've had our share of wet/mixed condition races this season. We're just being spoilt arent we if we get more :p

Date: July 19, 2010 03:49PM
Posted by: marcl
Well it sounds like the Lewis Spa thing all over again when they said they asked what to do, done what they were told and still got a penalty.

Alonso broke the rules he should have given the place back straight away without needing to be told to do so.
Date: July 19, 2010 04:03PM
Posted by: Nickv
chet Schreef:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The main problem was they were punishing Alonso
> after the race had progressed so much. Kubica's
> retirement should have put to rest any idea of
> Alonso getting a penalty.

Untrue. He overtook Kubica over the grass, which you aren't allowed to do. If you do so, you hand the place back. If you don't do that, you get a penalty. Just because Kubica retired doesn't mean Alonso doesn't have to be penalised for his illegitimate pass.
Date: July 19, 2010 07:21PM
Ah, that clears that up then..

Just seen this on Atlas...

[www.f1fanatic.co.uk]

The bit about Williams having been developing this EBD since October. Which makes me wonder, has someone gone from RBR to Williams, or has someone gone from Williams to a greater resourced RBR and pushed through the idea?

If not then it just goes to show how amazing these F1 blokes are. I find it amazing how they can up with similar solutions to problems where the answer can an infinate possibilities in theory. Likewise with double-deck diffusers. The range of idea's from team to team is amazing.

Anyway, my point about it is that it's clear Williams still have the technical staff with the ideas but im amazed at the difference in development time.

RBR showed the world their EBD in February, late. And thats when Ferrari started working on theirs likewise with Mclaren and I assume Mercedes. Both Ferrari and Williams and also Merc ran it for the first time in Silverstone. If you say Williams started in October (despite the engine change) they had initial concepts/designs on the board for about 4months longer nad yet could only debut when Ferrari did.

Date: July 19, 2010 09:12PM
Nickv
Untrue. He overtook Kubica over the grass, which you aren't allowed to do. If you do so, you hand the place back. If you don't do that, you get a penalty. Just because Kubica retired doesn't mean Alonso doesn't have to be penalised for his illegitimate pass.

It wasn't as simple as that, as Kubica forced Alonso off and Alonso looked to be ahead going into the corner too.

I still agree that he should have given the place back, and not in the namby-pamby way Hamilton did at a Spa, allowing him to still overtake at the following corner (and I still think it's madness that it still gets brought up about it being harsh... it was madness that he tried to get away with it and he rightly got called up on it) and Alonso himself did at Suzuka.

It wasn't as clear-cut as either of those, as there are other factors at play, but he should have dropped behind again.

Hindsight's a wonderful thing.
Date: July 19, 2010 09:45PM
Posted by: Nickv
As you say, he should've dropped behind again, but he didn't, so I think the penalty was justified, even though he was forced off the road by Kubica. You could argue if Kubica was allowed to do that as Alonso was a tiny bit ahead going into the corner. But it's not really something a driver thinks about when fighting for a position ;)

I still agree that he should have given the place back, and not in the namby-pamby way Hamilton did at a Spa, allowing him to still overtake at the following corner

Actually you can no longer do that. When you give back your place after f.e. turn 12, you can't overtake into turn 13, but have to wait until turn 14.
Date: July 19, 2010 10:28PM
Which was a rule change which wasn't needed. The existing rules covered it better. He and Alonso still gained an advantage despite letting Raikkonen and Klien through respectively, so both were told to either do it properly or were given penalties, which was right.
Date: July 20, 2010 02:22AM
Posted by: badger27
andrew_S Wrote:

> Thats a good point, i went down on saturday
> without a ticket and carpark organisation was
> seriously lacking...

I was a steward at the event (by the BRDC camp), and I can tell you for certain that we were given no information to run our posts. I worked for a subcontractor of G4S (those security vans you see), and their management did bugr all about helping us. I had never been to Silverstone in my life, and had to learn the ground layout by walking around it. Further to this, there is an ongoing pay dispute between G4S and the employees, as they denied lunch and overtime pay.

Personally, if I bumped into you and sent you the wrong way, then obviously I would apologise. However, the blame lays at the door of G4S for such poor organisation and information.

Also, whilst I'm mentioning my time at Silverstone, working the BRDC gate I got to see quite a few of the drivers and such. It was nice to see Rubens drive his crew back to the site, and Eddie Jordan try and flatten Coulthard whilst on his bike!

Williams' Wonders: Jones, K.Rosberg, Piquet, Mansell, Prost, Senna, Hill, Villeneuve, .....?
Date: July 20, 2010 09:43AM
Posted by: LS.
Took me 3 hours to get out "the carpark" on race day, it was a field at the back of the start finish straight, despite having had my pants down and raped for £25 for official parking,

I felt sorry for extra staff drafted in as it became a free for all, but I did learn that if you drive a range rover, mercedes or BMW the rules of etiquette and queuing up don't apply,

you can just pull out and drive in-between others cars and force your way to the front in a last minute dangerous manner, oh and your also allowed to park on double yellow lines too

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/2010 09:46AM by LS..
Date: July 20, 2010 11:10AM
I knew this generally applied with BMW's and Merc's but didnt know Range Rover's could join in too :p

Date: July 20, 2010 08:53PM
Posted by: msater
chet Wrote:
> I knew this generally applied with BMW's and
> Merc's but didnt know Range Rover's could join in
> too :p

Well, they're all status cars, so hey.

Order a giffgaff SIM from my link and get £5 credit, free!
Season 1 and Season 3 GPGSL World Champion!
Member of CTDP - Cars Tracks Development Program - 3D Carshaper
Date: July 20, 2010 10:11PM
Posted by: J i m
LS. Wrote:
> Took me 3 hours to get out "the carpark" on race
> day, it was a field at the back of the start
> finish straight, despite having had my pants down
> and raped for £25 for official parking,
>
> I felt sorry for extra staff drafted in as it
> became a free for all, but I did learn that if you
> drive a range rover, mercedes or BMW the rules of
> etiquette and queuing up don't apply,
>
> you can just pull out and drive in-between others
> cars and force your way to the front in a last
> minute dangerous manner, oh and your also allowed
> to park on double yellow lines too

Since I only bought one admission ticket I was denied the chance to spent insane fees on car parking tickets. So was forced into park n ride for Saturday and Sunday at least. And despite it being annoying having to do park n ride (since I only live 30 miles down the A5 from Silverstone) I have to admit it did work smoothly, and most of the few holds encountered didn't appear to be strictly related to the Grand Prix. I'd probably be satisfied to use park n ride again.

Date: July 21, 2010 12:45AM
Posted by: harjinator
lol, LS, you've (presumably) not driven through london lately... the same Beemer/Merc/Rangerover/anything large rules apply there as well. I drive an old banger so i just give as good as i get, cos i couldn't care less if someone hits it!

Have to say, i went to Brands this past weekend. PERFECT organisation. fantastic weekend. Having been to Silverstone last year (for the renault world series), i have to say, brands beats it hands down. fantastic circuit, good facilities. couldn't fault it at all!

(and yes, i know brands isn't suitable for f1. shame really, but then again i wouldn't want them to do a donnington...)

Team Japan Owner - GPGNC
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy