2010 Formula 1™ Chinese GP THREAD **SPOILERS**

Posted by raulongo 
Re: 2010 Formula 1™ Chinese GP THREAD **SPOILERS**
Date: April 16, 2010 09:57AM
Posted by: aagancia
here's a good video link of Buemi's crash?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2010 10:10AM by aagancia.
Date: April 16, 2010 10:37AM
Posted by: chet
Watched both sessions, and Buemis reaction when he got to the pit explained it all really. Crazy stuff, thankfully nobody was heard. On the onboard you could see the camera men in the background running out of the way, you just couldnt see the tyre, so naturally im sure everybody feared the worse until the full picture was shown! Not a great weekend so far for Seb!

As for the rest, a few interesting things I noted. Firstly the little battle between Luizzi and Kobayashi... Even with the F-Duct Kobayashi was no quicker than Luizzi down the straight, even slower it looked. Looking at the trap speeds now though, is session 2 Kobayashi was top. But coming out that corner it did look asif Luizzi pulled away abit.

Noticed the Merc's were running around with tape or something on their rear wing endplate, which went from the bottom right round the wing. It was only on 1 side. No idea what it was but I guess some sort of measuring equipment.

One thing that really bugged me was the way Alonso reacted to Senna at the end. Senna held Alonso up for two corners max, with nowhere else to move. Alonso reacted in the normal way an F1 driver does. Stick his hand out. It really bugged me because it just seemed like Alonso wanted priority because he's in the 'red car', it doesnt matter what anyone else is doing, it seemed more of a "move im coming through" type thing. As for Jenson doing it, that was slightly more understandable. The Virgin blocked for quite a few corners. What was a disgrace was how Jenson then decided to do the same... Why? Maybe talk after the session or something, but to deliberatly then hold up Di Grassi? It just seems abit childish to me. But yeah that Alonso thing really got to me, he gave Senna no time to react, Senna moved as soon as it was viable for himself and Alonso reacted. They should get on with the job they are being paid to do! I very much share the opinion of sportscar drivers when it comes to traffic, its soemthing along the lines of, 'im faster, i WILL find a way past, dont deviate from your line'. In qualifying I guess it can be a different matter, but in FP2? c'mon guys.

edit - 6 engines for alonso for a total of 78 sessions. (inc tomorrows FP and qualifying). And of course 16 of those 'sessions' are races. Not great for Ferrari, not great for Alonso's title bid. I think because of that Lewis has now overtaken him as my favourite for the title.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2010 10:52AM by chet.
Date: April 16, 2010 11:14AM
Posted by: SAMF1
Lucky that gravel is able to stop the car.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2010 11:14AM by SAMF1.
Date: April 16, 2010 02:13PM
Posted by: senninho
ipswich2007 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> that was possibly the most extreme thing i have
> seen since senna in 94 .

Have you not watched F1 between then and now? There's been plenty to rival this...

Apparently the wheels flew away because the tethers were attached to the uprights - d'oh! The uprights in question were a new design which has now been reverted - a sensible choice.

It reminded me of a failure on Hill's Williams in '94 - or at least i think it was - where the pushrods came away from the chassis, leaving the wheels flapping around uselessly. Can someone correct me if i'm wrong? It was deffo on the '94 or '95 season review video.

Date: April 16, 2010 02:28PM
Posted by: gav
Silverstone '94 as I remember.
ok senninho, ye i have watched every race live since then lool, i know there have been major accidents, but pretty much all of them you saw coming, schumi & DC spa 1998 , schumi ruthless DC blocking it was always gna happen, same with the major spa pileup - it was soo wet that year 22 cars coming out of la source in the pouring rain is not good, which is why i believe everytime it now rains at the start of spa its a safety car start

this incident today , you couldnt of seen that coming at all , it was quite shocking the way it just exploded, it wouldnt have been as bad if the wheels only fell off without any explosion :P

Date: April 16, 2010 03:11PM
Posted by: 97kirkc
Damn it, beaten to it :P Yeah it was FP1 Silverstone 94.

Date: April 16, 2010 04:30PM
Posted by: danm
that incident, as rare as it was, is perhaps another reason why gravel beats tarmac run off.

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
with regards the blocking, simple solution is to get rid of these stupid teams who run around 5 secs off the pace. they're not adding anything by being that slow. I was expecting a bit of improvement by now, and hopefully they'll make it for the start of the european season... but honestly i can't see the point in them even turning up - they're never gonna get a point, or even be anywhere near them (on merit at least). They're just a commodity for 3 rich gentlemen who'll get rid as soon as they realise they're backing a lost cause

Team Japan Owner - GPGNC
Date: April 16, 2010 08:33PM
Posted by: Frantic
danm Wrote:
> that incident, as rare as it was, is perhaps
> another reason why gravel beats tarmac run off.

+1

Date: April 16, 2010 09:13PM
Posted by: rapid_f1
i think something that becoming abit clearer is that mclaren aerodynamically do not have a great car - the f duct is worth about 0.4 to 0.5 s a lap. Take that amount away from their times and where would they be?

I.Tz No Problem
For all your home and business I.T needs
[www.itznoproblem.com]
enquiry@itznoproblem.com
Date: April 16, 2010 09:57PM
Posted by: Nickv
I doubt the F-duct is worth that much tbh.
Date: April 16, 2010 10:13PM
Nick, I think that figure comes from the theory that because of the F-duct, the team can run more wing and still not get punished on the straight. So the F-duct doesnt directly bring 0.5seconds... well thats my thought at least.

I doubt it's worth that much too though, and I doubt that if they didnt have it, they would be mid-field. I still believe F-duct or not the results would be no different. I do think the F-duct is worth some sort of time difference, but I just believe much of their straight-line speed has ot be credited to Mercedes, and Mclaren for building an efficient car.

Its the same as RedBulls apparent ride-height tricks. I dont believe they have anything trick in the suspension. I just believe that the car is quite simply mega on low fuel, and just so happens to be mega loaded with fuel too.

Date: April 16, 2010 10:16PM
Posted by: gav
Button was today saying they have plenty of aero grip, it's the mechanical where they've been struggling (how about that for an about turn from 2009).
Not a good day for the wider Buemi family, Sebastien's cousin Natacha Gachnang has broken her leg at Abu Dhabi in qualifying for the FIA GT1 World Championship...

[www.autosport.com]

X (@ed24f1)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2010 10:56PM by SchueyFan.
Date: April 16, 2010 11:26PM
Posted by: rapid_f1
Nickv Wrote:
> I doubt the F-duct is worth that much tbh.

thats what ant davidson was was saying it brings, on bbc 5 live. listen to fp1 or 2 cant remember which.

im not saying theyd be last without it but once all the other teams get it, etc.

also horner said they are 30-40 bhp down on the merc engine so all in all newey has designed a peach with no fduct, weaker engine although they may have some amazing device which alters ride height.

I.Tz No Problem
For all your home and business I.T needs
[www.itznoproblem.com]
enquiry@itznoproblem.com

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2010 02:26AM by rapid_f1.
Date: April 17, 2010 06:13AM
gav Wrote:
> Button was today saying they have plenty of aero
> grip, it's the mechanical where they've been
> struggling (how about that for an about turn from
> 2009).

lol true.

I thought their poor mech grip was simply a function of having to run a stiffer setup to maintain a rideheight with the added fuel load??

Gonna be a close session. I think Lewis will give RedBull a challenge in qualifying... JB's a couple tenths behind so expect he'll be behind both RB's and Lewis, thing for JB is, he has to make sure thats all thats in front! Gonna be tight between JB, two Ferraris and two Mercs imo. Battle for pole is between RB and Lewis. If Lewis cant do it, id like Webber to. Im sick of Vettel getting pole :p

Date: April 17, 2010 06:21AM
Posted by: Slash
me too, i want Webber for pole, and is quite reachable, his driving styles fits heavy braking rally well and this track too..

Jenson has something under his sleeve for pole, i've seen him quite solid on his laps, so i wouldn't write Jenson off against Lewis

i also see Michael better than yesterday, especially under braking so hopefully he can beat Nico for the first time?

Karum Chandock will be moved 5 places behind on the grid after a gearbox change........ where's he gonna start, on the back straight? ;)
Date: April 17, 2010 09:14AM
Posted by: Slash
well that was exciting... kinda worried how fast the red bulls are on Qualys... they K.O Mclaren in the last session

Alonso is sure a big threat for them thou, if he manages to get in front of Webber by T1, we can have a nice battle for win tomorrow, really good lap by him, he really showed what he's made off

dissapointed by Schumacher i must say... he's too far away from Rosberg which is quite strange, there's no way that difference can be made by just driving... but oh well

Massa, no words-... he's been nowhere... Alonso pounded him real good this time

ps: Jenson, very very good, Lewis must be tinking, "where the hell did that came from?", nice psycologicall move by him there, after Lewis being dominating him all weekend, but like i said, he was doing pretty solid clean laps so he had some more speed

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2010 09:16AM by Slash.
Date: April 17, 2010 09:25AM
Look at the times most went quicker in Q3... Jenson made up about half a second from Q2, and to realize that Jenson is less than a tenth of Alonso, and Lewis, just over a tenth you think it's not all that bad.

I think Vettel, Alonso, Nico and Jenson just did very good laps. Jenson is just under 2tenths slower than Webber which when comparing to previous races is a good margin. RedBulls gap to the rest this race is alot less. Today though, as a team they just got the job done, when it mattered. As did Alonso, Nico, and Jenson.

Tomorrow will be interesting though, im sure Lewis will be quicker than all in front of him, bar Vettel. The battle for the last podium slot will be a good one!

Also interesting to note Martin W say that rain is a very probable occurance tomorrow...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy