2010 Formula 1™ Malaysian GP THREAD **SPOILERS**

Posted by raulongo 
Re: 2010 Formula 1™ Malaysian GP THREAD **SPOILERS**
Date: April 04, 2010 11:49AM
Posted by: Muks_C
not as entertaining as Melbourne, but some good racing going on all the way down the field. shame for Schumacher, and finally some justice for Vettel.

for the first time, i had my laptop on the go at the same time as watching the race on tv. i had live timing in one window, and the onboard feed from the bbc iplayer in another, and you get a lot more insight into what's going on all the way down the field. you notice something on the timing screen, and then a few seconds later legard or brundle would comment on it as they had just noticed also. it was pretty good, will continue doing it for the rest of the season.

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
Sounds like they've replaced James Allen with David Croft in the press conferences ;)

Date: April 04, 2010 11:54AM
Posted by: ATL11
Dull, did the top 5 hold station after Lap 1 Turn 1?

Andy
Date: April 04, 2010 11:57AM
Posted by: Nickv
Quite a good race, Malaysia is starting to grow on me.

Has anybody else noticed how useless the current director is? Cameras are missing all kinds of stuff, we never got to see what happened to Glock for example. And they focussed on the RedBulls at the start instead of the midfield, while that's where the action is. Another thing is when the little lap bar on the top of the screen turns yellow, we only rarely get to see instantly what's causing it.
Nickv Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Quite a good race, Malaysia is starting to grow on
> me.
>
> Has anybody else noticed how useless the current
> director is? Cameras are missing all kinds of
> stuff, we never got to see what happened to Glock
> for example. And they focussed on the RedBulls at
> the start instead of the midfield, while that's
> where the action is. Another thing is when the
> little lap bar on the top of the screen turns
> yellow, we only rarely get to see instantly what's
> causing it.

Yeah I noticed the same, there were quite a few times where there were yellows and double yellows and didn't show what for.

Date: April 04, 2010 12:02PM
Posted by: gav
Muks_c
for the first time, i had my laptop on the go at the same time as watching the race on tv. i had live timing in one window, and the onboard feed from the bbc iplayer in another, and you get a lot more insight into what's going on all the way down the field. you notice something on the timing screen, and then a few seconds later legard or brundle would comment on it as they had just noticed also. it was pretty good, will continue doing it for the rest of the season.

I use the app for my HTC Touch Pro (presumably it will work for most Windows Mobile phones), and there's an iPhone version too I believe. The only negative is the 3-4 second delay on the digital TV feed, and as you say, it's the same using the web feed.

Nickv
Cameras are missing all kinds of stuff, we never got to see what happened to Glock for example.

We did. They showed him locking up and backing into Heikki I think it was. I'm with you on the other incidents though - the yellow flag notification is annoying as hell when they don't pick up what is going on.
Alonso has reported that he broke the clutch on the warm-up lap. He said it was the most difficult race he had ever driven, as he had to downshift several gears before braking on corners.

It would explain some of the weird behaviour of his car during the race and the final motor failure.

[translate.google.es]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2010 12:41PM by marcuzzi.
Muks_C Wrote:
> not as entertaining as Melbourne, but some good
> racing going on all the way down the field. shame
> for Schumacher, and finally some justice for
> Vettel.
>
> for the first time, i had my laptop on the go at
> the same time as watching the race on tv. i had
> live timing in one window, and the onboard feed
> from the bbc iplayer in another, and you get a lot
> more insight into what's going on all the way down
> the field. you notice something on the timing
> screen, and then a few seconds later legard or
> brundle would comment on it as they had just
> noticed also. it was pretty good, will continue
> doing it for the rest of the season.

I do the same, I noticed that the torro rosso's kept setting purples in the first sector. I mainly paid attention to the live timing though, the onboard shots never seemed to pick up on anything interesting.

Date: April 04, 2010 12:09PM
Posted by: Nickv
gav Schreef:
> We did. They showed him locking up and backing
> into Heikki I think it was. I'm with you on the
> other incidents though - the yellow flag
> notification is annoying as hell when they don't
> pick up what is going on.

I can remember seeing that, that was when the left part of his front wing broke off, right? I didn't know that caused his retirement.
Date: April 04, 2010 12:14PM
Nope, that was another incident involving di Grassi as I remember. They showed the Glock incident on lap 4 after the replays of the start.
Date: April 04, 2010 12:32PM
Posted by: Muks_C
matt3454 Wrote:
>
> I do the same, I noticed that the torro rosso's
> kept setting purples in the first sector. I mainly
> paid attention to the live timing though, the
> onboard shots never seemed to pick up on anything
> interesting.

yeah but it's nice to have the onboard on anyway, as it very often was different to the onboard they sometimes showed on the main feed. for example the main feed showed Massa catching Button from Massa's t-cam, but the iplayer onboard showed it from Button's rear-facing engine-cover cam, so you could see Massa trying to close on Button.

and also on the main feed you might see a fight between 2 cars, and you could watch the same fight from onboard one of those cars at the same time, without having to switch between the feeds on the tv.

the delay on the iplayer is ok IMO, because you can see a move happening on the tv, then watch the same move from onboard on the computer a few seconds later.

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
Date: April 04, 2010 12:37PM
Posted by: DaiMOn
It wasn't too exciting, but it was okay I think. Hamilton fight very hard and Alonso as well despite the fact that his car wasn't 100%. Massa had a good strategy, he almost catched Hamilton, and he have made a great overtaking against Button.... Nicely done. :)
any insight into why lh didnt get a drive through or stop go or anything? theres the old argument about blocking v weaving but anthony davidson said it clearly was wrong and they all talk about in the breifings.

surely that sets a precedent that anyone can do it once now and just get a warning?

I.Tz No Problem
For all your home and business I.T needs
[www.itznoproblem.com]
enquiry@itznoproblem.com
I quite like the F1 forum on BBC, i rarely get to watch it due to work. Kovalainen seems really happy and confident about Lotus and the future but Jarno doesn't seem that happy at all.

rapid_f1 Wrote:
> any insight into why lh didnt get a drive through
> or stop go or anything? theres the old argument
> about blocking v weaving but anthony davidson said
> it clearly was wrong and they all talk about in
> the breifings.
>
> surely that sets a precedent that anyone can do it
> once now and just get a warning?

Brundle said it was because it was along a straight and not blocking an overtake, just trying to get Petrov out his slipstream.

at the strat of the race alonso got gear box problem and i noticed it on some few laps in both inboard and outboard ... when his car downshift it goes to neutral and a great drriving by him by preassuring button his situation and you can hear his car downshifting weird on outsidlapp on last lae aswell.. until it gave up on llast

Date: April 04, 2010 01:14PM
Posted by: shep34
matt3454 Wrote:
> I quite like the F1 forum on BBC, i rarely get to
> watch it due to work. Kovalainen seems really
> happy and confident about Lotus and the future but
> Jarno doesn't seem that happy at all.

Trulli, i think, seems to have an over inflated opinion of how good he is, or should be. His actions and behaviour after the shunt in Brazil last year highlighted him as a man struggling to cling onto a drive of any note. Hence his new ride in a Lotus....
Date: April 04, 2010 01:15PM
Posted by: Covfan
gav Wrote:
> Don't know why ITV were constantly saying Alonso
> had down-shift problems.

I don't know why ITV were mentioning it either. ;)

rapid_F1 Wrote:
>any insight into why lh didnt get a drive through or stop go or anything? theres the old argument about blocking v weaving but anthony davidson said it clearly was wrong and they all >talk about in the breifings.

>surely that sets a precedent that anyone can do it once now and just get a warning?

Well Brundle said that Lewis wasn't swerving to block but rather to try and break the slipstreaming effect. So I assume that wasn't against the rules, despite that he did get a black and white flag for it so it was a bit naughty by Hamilton.
Date: April 04, 2010 01:16PM
So long as it's not actually blocking it shouldn't be too bad, but the last move was a little silly, being just before the braking zone (any later would have been completely idiotic).

I can see why he was given a warning but no more, and I hope it doesn't set a precedent, because someone will mistime it and we'll have an absolutely colossal accident and a car somersaulting into the pitlane or over the guardrail. Hamilton himself already pushed the envelope in Melbourne... add weaving into that move and he'd have been on his head with marshals and spectators in real danger.

Hopefully it will be clamped down on in the Shanghai drivers meeting, as no-one wants to see that.

covfan
I don't know why ITV were mentioning it either.

WTF? :D

I'll blame a lack of coffee at that point. :D

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2010 01:18PM by gav.
I think Lewis should at least get a reprimand for his actions, its not something the stewards will want to happen all the time.

Vettel: Another dominating win, excellent work.
Webber: Seemed close to Vettel's pace, but was too passive into Turn 1, which is something that can only rarely be said about him. He needed the podium badly though.
Kubica: Outstanding work to keep this car towards the front of the field. Renault are right, they really aren't that far behind Mercedes in pace now.
Alguersuari: Very impressive drive from him, and he seems to have the edge on his team-mate now.
Petrov: Has some good speed, but makes too many mistakes over a GP weekend at the moment.
Massa: Its a good sign for him that he is in the championship lead without really showing his best. As he's said a few times, he's never really had a good start to the season until now, and I think he's been a little conservative because of this, so he should be able to up his performance going into the European season, especially at a few tracks where he has done well in the past (e.g. Barcelona, Turkey).

The top 8 drivers in the championship all have podiums now, and it is extremely close, so it looks like that even if the racing may not be the best ever, at least the championship battle will be fierce.

X (@ed24f1)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy