Lewis Hamilton on 2007: "I blew Alonso away"

Posted by EC83 
Re: Lewis Hamilton on 2007: "I blew Alonso away"
Date: January 11, 2010 01:07AM
Posted by: LS.
Lets wait and see wether Alonso spits his dummy out at Ferrari like he did at Mclaren, Massa is very highly thought of so its going to be interesting to see how it pans out.

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2010 01:23AM by LS..
Date: January 11, 2010 02:12AM
Posted by: EC83
I personally think it's highly unlikely that Fernando will "spit the dummy" at Ferrari TBH. I think he learned a lot from going through the Macca blender, and I think he's matured a lot during his couple of seasons in uncompetitive Renaults as well. I think he's a different guy now from the one who swerved over to the pitwall at Indy and delayed Hamilton in the pits at the Hungaroring.
Also, Stefano Domenicali isn't Ron Dennis, and judging by Kimi's time at Ferrari, he's much more keen to get to know and understand a new driver in order to build a good working relationship with him. And despite the close bond Massa has with the Ferrari team, there's nothing to suggest Massa will be favoured like Lewis was.

And I can't wait to see Fernando back in what promises to be a really top car. As has been said already, his performances towards the end of the 2007 season(his immaculate drive at Monza in particular) were awesome in the circumstances, and his drives at Renault since then have been awesome altogether, with his stunning win at Fuji in 2008 being the clear standout for me. He's long overdue in a competitive car again.

But on the original topic, whatever Lewis is hoping to achieve by coming out with crap like this, I can't believe it'll do anything other than make Alonso laugh. Saying that you've "blown someone away" when there are statistics that prove otherwise is just plain stupid. Does Lewis think his word carries more weight than Championship results do now? What a cock. Frankly I'd like to see Alonso, Schumacher and Vettel all whoop him this season; his reaction to being beaten by them after saying stuff like this would be priceless.

@Chet: I prefer PR-bullsh*t to Lewis-bullsh*t anytime TBH.

loque Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> he is already being a knob and we are not at the
> first race yet! someone really needs to stick
> their front left down his inside rear in bahrain
> (hopefully kobayashi) and roll him, so he can sit
> there all exposed with his arse in the air -
> although i hope sutil doesn't take full advantage
> of this. we didn't have a roll last year so we
> have to make up for it this year.

LMAO!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2010 02:34AM by EC83.
Date: January 11, 2010 02:26AM
Posted by: LS.
EC83 Wrote:
> I personally think it's highly unlikely that
> Fernando will "spit the dummy" at Ferrari TBH. I
> think he learned a lot from going through the
> Macca blender, and I think he's matured a lot
> during his couple of seasons in uncompetitive
> Renaults as well.

The smart money would say that its because he had outright status and his team mate wasnt a threat at Renault, we've seen how Massa out performed kimi, and beat michael schumacher occasionally in equal equipment, so that will be an entirely different kettle of fish all together

> Also, Stefano Domenicali isn't Ron Dennis,

Alonso has been told by Montezemelo that he drives for Ferrari and not himself, so not really any different from the Mclaren philosphy

> judging by Kimi's time at Ferrari, he's much more
> keen to get to know and understand a new driver in
> order to build a good working relationship with
> him.

Massa doesnt appear to have an ego, where as Alonso does,

he couldnt accept a rookie had equal treatment to him, and was out performed by a rookie by the fact he was a rookie with no experience at the top level,

Alonso pretty much put paid to Schumacher during his good years at Renault, Maybe Alonso is like Schumacher and can only extract the maximum performance when all the cards are stacked in his favour?

And despite the close bond Massa has with the
> Ferrari team, there's nothing to suggest Massa
> will be favoured like Lewis was.
>

Massa has been at Ferrari for 4 years and his accident will not have weakend his position in the team, you only have to look at Hakkinen at Mclaren to see that in evidence.

Any driver that has been established in a team for a number of years will courie favourtism, i cant see why Lewis is only being singled out for this? he still had to prove himself.

Mclarens worry was that it was too soon for Hamilton to step upto F1 and having a double world champion would as team would make or break him, or have all the Lewis bashers forgotten this?

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat
Date: January 11, 2010 02:56AM
There's nothing to suggest that Fernando would have a problem with it if Massa was given equal treatment to him at Ferrari. At McLaren he got unhappy and uncomfortable only when he saw that they were favouring Lewis. If he and Lewis had actually been given equal treatment behind closed doors, I don't think the big bust-up would've happened.

And Massa did have times when he was quicker than Kimi and could sometimes even be a bit quicker than MS, yes. But that was down to Massa himself getting his act together rather than the team favouring him. Massa(with the exception of the part of 2009 when he was driving) has always been a very up-and-down driver.

Date: January 11, 2010 04:03AM
Posted by: danm
Lewis IS good. But he comes across as far too arrogant when he shouldn't be. He has had a lot of padding into F1, and is still cushioned by it.

He landed a top drive, for a top team, in his debut. Most drivers have to run the rounds for years to get that chance. Think Frentzen. Think Alesi. Think Rosberg. Think Webber.

All of those, not quite superstars, but they had to wait.

Imagine knowing and having 4 of the 6 lottery numbers before tickets go on sale... you know you are going to win something, so why brag when you already know you are in a better position than the rest? It surely makes the winning of something, anything, less sweet, knowing you were going to get it more or less anyway.

Hamilton is in a better position than most others, the team, the engine, the build around etc. Many factors. He is already ahead, so to say that he blew someone away when most things were in his favour and for him is very arrogant.

I say most, because it was his debut, he was a rookie, and he did have a very well balanced driver as a teammate. However, those aside, there were still more factors working for him than against him, the politics, which outweighed any negative areas he had.

But don't get me wrong, he is an amazing driver. He just hasn't had a situation where there were more things against him than good. Something Alonso has had and worked against.

For that reason, Hamilton is being very arrogant.

Jean Alesi, on a side note, was humble. He was though, I would say, one of the most underrated and should-be multiple world champions. He always had the wrong car at the wrong time. He should have been at Williams in the early 90's. He should have been at Benetton sooner. He left Ferrari that much too early. What a shame. Had this been Hamilton, could we say the same? Would his talent shine in an underrated car? If he was not at McLaren? Would Alesi be a multiple world champion had he been in the correct car?

We will never know, so it is a fruitless argument. Pointless. If's and But's.

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2010 04:09AM by danm.
Date: January 11, 2010 11:03AM
Posted by: J i m
Alesi has immense talent, but he is also ruled more by the heart than the head. Remember he didn't just have the chance to go to Williams in 1991 he even had the contract. It was him and his decision alone that saw him turn his back on that and go to Ferrari. Although in fairness at that time Ferrari were the team pushing McLaren for championships.

Date: January 11, 2010 11:06AM
The Alesi thing bugs me something chronic, the amount of podiums and chances he had between 1994 and 1997 was ridiculous. Talk about bad luck!

Date: January 11, 2010 12:03PM
Posted by: The Lopper
Not going for Williams was something I'm sure he regrets, on some level. But it would be wrong to say he missed out on opportunities by leaving Ferrari too early. Ferrari would never have had that success had Team Schumacher not arrived.

With all the circus surrounding Hamilton, you'd think he'd have someone on his shoulder to jab him in the ribs when he's about to say something stupid, but he does seem to come out with golden stuff on a fairly consistent basis. In fairness though, I'd say he is about to hand Button's arse back to him this year. But he just didn't blow away Alonso. Not even close Lewis.
Date: January 11, 2010 12:27PM
The fact Alonso was still a few points adrift of getting a hattrick of back to back world titles says otherwise.

Date: January 11, 2010 01:07PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
I love how some people think of it as "spitting the dummy" when the driver is getting treated badly. Alonso got the DC treatment, and somehow he is the bad guy for moaning about it. Not Ron, for being one of the most sly, corrupt men in motorsport. No no. It's the drivers fault for being upset that Ron won't take his dick out of Hamiltons ass.

I'm more interested in what Button will say when he gets the DC treatment. Although maybe Whitmarsh isn't quite as bad with the drivers as Ron has proven himself to be. Still a cheating lying bastard though, so that is something.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: January 11, 2010 01:21PM
Posted by: gav
LS
Lets wait and see wether Alonso spits his dummy out at Ferrari like he did at Mclaren, Massa is very highly thought of so its going to be interesting to see how it pans out.

I don't recall Alonso spitting his dummy out in public, and if he apparently did so in private, then given what we now know what Macca were like back then (and still were at the start of last year), it's on fairly inconclusive that other than the obvious friction from both sides, that he spat the dummy out at all.

As Dave says really.
Date: January 11, 2010 02:08PM
Posted by: marcl
People seem to forget what Alonso was like when he started F1, what Senna was like, what Mansell was like, what was MS like, even Button people used to moan about him all the time. Is Lewis any different? NO!.

People done like Lewis, fine. But please remember what you said about other drivers over the years, ones you now like.

Tbh I do not believe what I read anyway when it comes to this one said this etc, we have learnt over the years half the things are not said.

Gav, if you read all the news at the time of 2007 then Alonso did spit his dummy out in public. This is what I mean. He even tried to black mail the team and block Lewis in the pits, that was very public if you ask me.

Remember Hungry 2006 what he done when passing someone in pratice and then tricked MS so he would get a penalty, what a nice chap Alonso is :)

Short memories people have.

And yes Lewis did beat Alonso in 2007, had they been tied for the title it would have gone to Lewis and thats a fact. If Alonso had a weak teammate in 2007 like he has had for the past 2 years then he would have been champ in 2007, but look at the errors Alonso made in 2007 there were a lot of silly ones you would not expect from a double world champ. Shows he cracks under presure, Spain and Canada were rookie mistakes, in the USA trying to get the team to let him pass Lewis, Spa pushing Lewis wide to keep his place.

Then people forget Brazil that year when under yellow flags he kept his foot down and had a massive crash risking his life and those around him. Had Lewis done that it would have been a race ban :)

I respect Alonso for what he does, he is fast and great at picking up points. But no matter what people say the only times he has had good team mates on equal status they done better than him. Even Trulli had the better of him.

LS. I totally agree with you.

I do wish all drivers would do their talking on the track, but its never happened and this type of thing has been going on for years its just easier to read now as its on the web.

I dont care about all this @#$%& people keep saying about Ron and Martyn, hell worse has taken place at Ferrari, Brabham, Williams, Lotus etc. People seem to just pick on Mclaren, not many teams over the years have run 2 drivers and allowed them both to fight for the world title. Alonso had no1 status even he has said this but it was changed at the French GP as he was behind Lewis in the point standing. They were then both given equal status and he agreed to it. People need to read stuff from 2007 and winter 2008.

Mclaren aint perfect, lewis aint perfect no one bloody well is. Well apart from some people on here that is!

God no wonder why I hardly post here anymore some people never change and always think they are right cause they say so.

Edited 9 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2010 02:44PM by marcl.
Date: January 11, 2010 03:41PM
Posted by: n00binio
marcl schrieb:

> And yes Lewis did beat Alonso in 2007, had they
> been tied for the title it would have gone to
> Lewis and thats a fact.

sorry to nitpick but it would be a fact if it had happened. it didn't happen so it's obviously not a fact but your opinion. nothing more, nothing less.

used to be GPGSL's Nick Heidfeld
Date: January 11, 2010 05:17PM
He means that given a tie, lewis had more wins/2nds/3rds etc how it would have been decided should they have drawn.

Date: January 11, 2010 06:19PM
Posted by: n00binio
i know. it's still hypothetical, eg if you eliminate kimi alonso would gain three more wins while lewis would stay at 4. it's wrong to assume that just because they were tied at 2nd position they would have been tied at 1st if the season went different. as soon as you're using "if" or "had they" or whatever else you're entering the realms of fiction.

used to be GPGSL's Nick Heidfeld
Date: January 11, 2010 06:21PM
Not even wins, Lewis got the higher place in the end because he had more 2nd places. That's how dominant he was.

marcl Wrote:
> People seem to forget what Alonso was like when he
> started F1, what Senna was like, what Mansell was
> like, what was MS like, even Button people used to
> moan about him all the time. Is Lewis any
> different? NO!.

Have to disagree there.
Lewis is different because he talks enough hot air to make a valid contribution to global warming. The likes of Senna and Schumacher were arrogant, sure, but their arrogance was implicit. They didn't talk complete crap for no obvious reason in an attempt to make themselves look good. Lewis is explicitly arrogant and doesn't give a @#$%& about it, and when someone acts like he does it's very difficult not to be critical of them for it.

Nobody has anything against Lewis, except the way he conducts himself.

Date: January 11, 2010 06:42PM
^Watch the press thing from Brazil 1992.

I do not like the way Lewis is out the car at all, but I like him in the car and thats the way I have always supported drivers.

It does not really matter just gets a tad silly, we all know people done like him but you can bet if Alonso, Button or anyone had said them things no one would say a word. Just gets a bit much 20 odd topics about Lewis.

Yes it was the same when MS, but he was the best at the time but also done a lot of wrong.

When there is a topic about the way Lewis drives again then fine, but all these topics about what he is meant to have said gets a bit much.
Date: January 11, 2010 07:51PM
Posted by: gav
marcl
*stuff*

Erm, I don't think anyone is saying Alonso is made of pink, sweet smelling flowers...

And yes, I must have missed the F1 news for the entire 2007 season. Nothing came out. Nothing at all. There was lots of rumour and conjecture, and we knew it was far from harmonious, but he did not publicly complain once that I recall, didn't stir up controversy, and as I recall, the only thing we know happened was the Hungaroring pit-lane games (and don't forget Hamilton wasn't covered in roses in that either, which often gets glossed over).
Date: January 11, 2010 08:21PM
This is more of an interview I would trust [www.autosport.com]

Yes Hungry Lewis at least did admit what he done wrong.

2007 was hard to know what to trust and what not to. Ron and Lewis said they spoke to Alonso, yet Alonso did not know anything about it etc. Then Lewis and Alonso both said they would only talk about each other when the other one was there, again within a week stuff was being printed.

I do not see why Lewis would be talking about 2007 now, it was so long ago and I feel last year he changed.

Like him or not it dont matter, but I feel people keep reporting stuff to make matters worse.

Gav sorry about the tone of my other post, your one of the guys on here I trust for facts and info and you never seem biased.
Date: January 11, 2010 10:52PM
Posted by: Locke Cole
Wow. Intelligent, balanced debate on an F1 rivalry. :-o This thread should be framed.

I was definitely part of the pro-Alonso camp in 2007. He certainly was no angel, but Lewis was spitting summies long before Fernando ever flared up. It was all going well until Monaco, when Lewis stropped about being told not to challenge his team-mate for the lead when they were running 1-2, over a minute ahead of the 3rd placed man and a full lap ahead of the 4th placed man.

As soon as Lewis complained, Ron's knee-jerk reaction was to serve the rest of the season to him on a silver platter and wipe his hands on Alonso's overalls when he was done. Fernando's response? Blow the whistle on McLaren's intra-team tactics and expose Ron Dennis for the manipulative git he really is. I can fully appreciate why some people held this against him, but I was glad that someone finally had the balls to do it. It's a travesty that he (and Lewis) lost out on a title chance due to their squabbling, because it was shaping up to be the mother of all team-mate battles.

In some ways I'm glad to see them in different teams next year because it'll be "fairer" for both of them (I know that's a naive comment but I couldn't think of a better way to phrase it), but I also rue the fact that they were not in equal machinery for long enough to truly battle it out.

K*bots UK, specialist providers of 'fun science' Curriculum Enhancement days for Primary and Secondary schools in Britain.

Please find us on [en.wikipedia.org] for more information.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy