Lewis Hamilton on 2007: "I blew Alonso away"

Posted by EC83 
Re: Lewis Hamilton on 2007: "I blew Alonso away"
Date: January 13, 2010 10:23PM
Posted by: chet
LS- let's not forget it was Lewis who made the effort to go to Ron.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: January 13, 2010 10:46PM
Posted by: LS.
maybe i should approach Martin Whitmarsh! :)

All credit to Ron for taking a gamble then and setting it all up, dont forget all the conditions that came along with it though.

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2010 10:50PM by LS..
Date: January 13, 2010 11:30PM
Posted by: gav
LS
Thats my point, Hamilton gets the fact he was part of a driver development program by a forward thinking Mclaren years ago thrown in his face, yet its no different to what United did with the young protege Giggs.

Your point is that Lewis is better than the rest because he approached Dennis at an early age, thus leading to a career paved in gold?
Date: January 13, 2010 11:40PM
Posted by: Slash
Lewis is the best of the world, ever and ever forever!, the rest are all amateurs!

from now on, everybody prays to Lewis

everybody happy now?
Date: January 13, 2010 11:54PM
Posted by: LS.
gav Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
>
> Your point is that Lewis is better than the rest
> because he approached Dennis at an early age, thus
> leading to a career paved in gold?

my point is that Lewis gets lambasted for stepping into a competitive car and doesnt get the credit for delivering the goods,

I get his point about about blowing away Alonso, but not in that proverbial sense, we have a rookie with no F1 experience ( that mclaren werent sure promoting to a race seat until they saw him during a test) paired up with a double world champion with a reputation of being able to setup a car and bring on the development throughout a season. what followed shouldnt have happened, Lewis was quick right out of the blocks and Alonso didnt like it, i cant think of another driver in a rookie season to on the pace of his team mate (world champion) and was the measure of him and bettered him over the season on his debut. competitive car or not ( maybe schumacher)

and as for the approaching Ron, everyone knows the rough circumstances, he was a little kid who was told to come back in a few years time, i dont think saying " hey mr i want to drive one of your cars" from a ten year old can count towards approaching Dennis.

Mclaren kept an eye on his progress, sure, but liked what they saw. Schumacher had help getting into F1 from Mercedes, hell the majority of drivers begged, stole or borrowed to get a foot in the door of F1, but again Lewis gets kicked like the proverbial dog for it.

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2010 11:56PM by LS..
Date: January 14, 2010 01:09AM
Posted by: Isaint
No one can blame Hamilton for the way he came to F1 it is what it is.
As previously mentioned most drivers had help at some point. I guess with the program, Lewis seemed to be more groomed and therefore more measured in his approach than others in a similar situation.

As we've all agreed his ability is not in question, it's the constant laurels that are being placed at his feet and also his attitude.
He got a break and he made good use of it and there is no doubt that he gave Alonso a wake up call. It was not luck either, more to do with circumstance granted but there is no denying that he had a special gift there and as a young man in a massively competitive sport, surrounded by a well of more experienced drivers than him self, he took a world title.

All of this is brilliant and good for F1 but until you win seven of those babies, there is no point in even imagining that you are close to being the greatest.
Lewis would do well to grasp the enormity of what differentiates between what is truly great as apposed to what is very talented ...... and so would his fans

" Perfection is not a gift ....... it comes with practice."

Member of R.S.C.T Group

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2010 01:16AM by Isaint.
Date: January 14, 2010 01:42AM
Good post LS.

i think perhaps aswell as Alonso not liking it, more so fans disliked that Lewis came in and made it so easy, and for me thats one of the reasons you either love him or hate him, its because he came in and was instantly better than 'your' favourite driver. I even hated it!! I knew he was the measure the Button, I might not have liked to admit it but I knew. Alonso has at least now come to terms with the fact that Lewis is probably his equal or better.

Im not saying that applies here, but its my opinion that one of the reasons he is disliked is simply because he's a brilliant driver. I hated Schumacher because he was the best. People wont like to admit it, but IMO its true. Then once the slightest wrong doing comes up he gets slaughted.

Besides that back to the original topic, did he blow Alonso away? Yes, did he blow us away? Yes. And did he beat Alonso? Yes, infact was uptil he messed it up in the end. Who expected to happen what happened? Who expected him to be as consistant as he was? Who expected him to challange Alonso - The guy who just beat 7 time WDC Schumacher. Whether you like it or not, it blew us and Alonso away ;-)!

Date: January 14, 2010 02:11AM
Posted by: tripleM
Blow away in the sense that the season turned out to be *a lot* tougher than Alonso expected? Maybe. He was also superbly prepared which is very much a plus. Trouble is we only get me,me,me! from Hamilton without acknowledging´anyone else.

Blowing away in the final standings? Hell no.

And speak for yourself, you won't find me being blown away by Hamilton's 2007 performance.

Date: January 14, 2010 08:19AM
Posted by: gav
LS
my point is that Lewis gets lambasted for stepping into a competitive car and doesnt get the credit for delivering the goods

Who's lambasted Lewis for stepping into a leading car? And the loving he got in 2007 was cringeworthy, certainly in the UK. :\

LS
i cant think of another driver in a rookie season to on the pace of his team mate (world champion) and was the measure of him and bettered him over the season on his debut

I'm struggling to think of drivers who have made their debut next to a world champion.

chet
Alonso has at least now come to terms with the fact that Lewis is probably his equal or better.

I think Alonso is quite comfortable in his stance at the moment - most acknowledge him as the best F1 driver, and he knows that. That one season in 2007 he had more than half the team wanting him to lose, yet he still finished on the same points.
Date: January 14, 2010 08:58AM
Posted by: marcl
MS was groomed by Merc and Alonso by Renault.

Remember Mclaren thought Kimi was going to stay and Lewis would spend a year testing and driving for a tail end team like Alonso did. Kimi left and in the end they went for Lewis.

Yes he walked into a winning car but even in that car he still had to win and get results which he did.

Hill and DC also walked into a winning car as have many others, whats the problem?

Hill, DC and Alonso all had thousands of miles in an F1 car behind them Lewis had just the winter tests to get up to speed. His targets for 2007 were to learn and pick up points no one in the team or even him thought they would be leading the championship until the last race.

The Mclaren in 2007 could have been @#$%& like the 2009 car, just cause you go to a top team does not mean you will win. And remember a the start of 2007 the Mclaren was not the best car at all it took them a good few races to get it to be level with Ferrari.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2010 09:40AM by marcl.
Date: January 14, 2010 09:04AM
Posted by: alonso0506
Slash schrieb:
> Lewis is the best of the world, ever and ever
> forever!, the rest are all amateurs!
>
> from now on, everybody prays to Lewis
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> everybody happy now?

hey nobody is happy with that crap.
If Ham is the best of all then its very cold down there in hell.
The only thing that matters is there are alot Driver(s) that are better. Ferni,Fisico,JV,Monty and kimi could smoke ham in there pipes.
So Alonso0506 says, take your own head and proceed to shove it directly up hamiltons candy ass!"
But ok everybody has his own oppinion.But thats mine.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"And thats the bottom line cause Alonso0506 said so"
Date: January 14, 2010 09:45AM
Blowing away in the final standings? Hell no.

Who said anything about that?

And I dont think Lewis is that stupid to even relate his comments to the final standings. Poeple have taken them far too literal... poor choice of words on his part still.

Gav - I dont anybody wanted Alonso to lose, many might have prefered Lewis to win, but nobody, probably not even Ron would have wanted Alonso to lose.

Marcl - After testing experience, a years F1 experience Heikki still found it difficult to win in a championship winning car, your right, Lewis still had to get the job done, and he did. Heikki is a prime example of how easy it is to falter.

Date: January 14, 2010 11:03AM
Posted by: marcl
Tbh I never really look at the final standings I look at the whole season, yes the person who has the most points win but sometimes things happen and the person who has had a better year does not finish ahead.

My biggest argument is with one of my mates who loves MS and I am a Senna fan. He claims 1992 MS blew Senna away due to having more points, he did not even see the season. 1992 Senna won more races than MS and should have had more points but due to car break downs he did not simple.

You can not always look at the final standing and say this driver blew this one away.

Lewis did not blow Alonso away all year, but in some races he did and in some races Alonso blew him away. Thats is how it works.

Even by the 3rd race Alonso was getting fed up in 2007 as everyone was talking about lewis and not Alonso. But everything was still ok within the team up until mid season and yet Lewis was leading the championshop and Alonso was not. Driving errors were costing Alonso, and many said the preasue of Lewis was getting to him. You can bet had Lewis not been on the pace Alonso would have had no problems at Mclaren as he would have been the golden boy like at Renault but at mclaren he was getting beaten by his team mate.

I am finding it hard to exmplain what I mean so gonna give up now lol.
Date: January 14, 2010 12:29PM
Posted by: Ali
Alonso didn't fit in McLaren, as simple as that. Lewis fitted perfectly as it is the only place he knows. There were some not very nice details from McLaren to Alonso (as in Sepang Alonso's wife was watching the race in Renault box ( :-|) ) because she didn't felt confortable in McLaren's one because of the sense of left aside and maybe a better understanding would have been convenient.

Everyone wants to feel "beloved" to say it somehow and now you can say they earn a lot of money, etc.etc., but they are persons and behave as such (as we do).

The MP4-22 was a superb car and only keeping the car on track was a guarantee to finish as high as 4th place. Adding to that the fact that during the first 8 or 9 races Lewis was the only one without suffering any problem, he ended up at the top of the standings. From that point, everything was already intoxicated. Lewis though he was the best, Alonso reacted stupidly bad and Ron couldn't (or didn't want) to handle the situation balancing it a little so Alonso was clearly out of his head. Anyway, I give him a lot of credit for being there until the very last race (and remember, if Kimi would have had any problem in Brazil Alonso would have won) and for racing with a quite crappy McLaren in the last two races in China and specially Brazil.

From then, things have changed quite a lot. Hamilton is not the best and Alonso is not that "bad guy".
The only one who have been talking again and again about this is Hamilton but I don't think Alonso is specially weak to such mind games (in fact, I think Hamilton is much weaker in such aspect) in case they are.

And I don't think Alonso will have any problem in Ferrari. They are smart enough to not repeat errors and besides, Alonso is someone who always delivers results so with a little bit of support and respect, Alonso will give very good results. Ferrari is aware of that. Doesn't make any sense having such a driver a make him feel unwanted. This is probably the most stupid thing McLaren did (and maybe they regret, because he is now in the opposition).
Date: January 14, 2010 12:45PM
Posted by: J i m
I feel this thread has gone full circle many times and is still circulating. Someone please shoot it down :P

Date: January 14, 2010 02:58PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
my point is that Lewis gets lambasted for stepping into a competitive car and doesnt get the credit for delivering the goods,

Lewis gets plenty of credit for what he has achieved. But will also get shot down for what he doesn't achieve. People claiming he is the rain master, for example. Or his pathetic remarks about Senna and Alonso.

Some people seem to think that if you aren't 100% positive about somebody, then you have failed to achknowledge what they have achieved.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: January 14, 2010 08:37PM
Posted by: EC83
DaveEllis Wrote:
> People claiming he is the rain
> master, for example.

I remember when he won the 2007 Japanese GP and immediately started comparing himself with Senna and Prost. That was a major WTF, even then.

Date: January 14, 2010 10:25PM
Posted by: DJSKYLINE
Hardly blew Alonso away, if the results were the other way round would you say Hamilton was blown away by Alonso?

I find it kind of see Hamilton as a little child-ish coming out with statements like this so long after 2007. And whatever goes around, comes around. (we all remember him saying he wont be overtaken from the outside again....then what happened).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2010 10:26PM by DJSKYLINE.
Date: January 14, 2010 10:54PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
They were equal. Lewis did brilliant considering he was a rookie. Alonso did brilliant considering how corrupt Ron is. Both did great.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: January 15, 2010 07:12AM
Posted by: kimifanaat
That interview is one of the biggest reasons why I will never like Hamilton :).

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy