Bridgestone to quit after 2010

Posted by SchueyFan 
Bridgestone to quit after 2010
Date: November 02, 2009 05:45AM
Posted by: SchueyFan
[www.autosport.com]

Interesting that they left because they wanted to pursue more 'innovative technologies', obviously more and more companies want F1 to go in this direction, and it will be one of the biggest challenges for Jean Todt to manage in his tenure.

It would be nice to get a tyre war again, but if not, Michelin would be nice to have as a control tyre.

X (@ed24f1)
Re: Bridgestone to quit after 2010
Date: November 02, 2009 06:35AM
Posted by: Red_Bull
Screw Michelin, bring back Goodyear!

Date: November 02, 2009 07:00AM
Posted by: SchueyFan
yes, good point actually - maybe both ;)

X (@ed24f1)
Date: November 02, 2009 10:27AM
Posted by: Vandusk
I want Pirelli back in the F1. But at the end, I think, Michelin will make it.
Date: November 02, 2009 10:58AM
Posted by: senna9194
Date: November 02, 2009 11:10AM
Posted by: Damas
I was only thinking the other day (because I'm sad like that) which Tyre Manufacturer has the most wins? I remember when Goodyear pulled out saying they had won more than all the others put together so I was guessing they still are at the top. I'd like to see them back in F1

I found the answer on Wikipedia, where else :)
For anyone who is interested [en.wikipedia.org]
Date: November 02, 2009 11:11AM
Posted by: Team CLR
I doubt it'll happen given that it's such short notice from Bridgestone, but I'd like to see a 3 (or more) way tire battle.

Date: November 02, 2009 11:18AM
Posted by: chet
Michelin :)!

Not sure another tyre war would be good. The race speeds currently are at a good level. Looking back the idea of it being the tyre the winning factor was bad. I know the tyre still is the main factor, but the differential before was too big...

The single-tyre maunfacture ruling was the best one since the cap on engine use. I think the current situation puts more reliance on the teams and drivers rather than the tyre manufacturer providing a good set for 'that' car. This year with RedBull sometimes eating their tyres nad Brawn going easy has made it interesting. The way different cars use the same tyres and how that translates on track has been an interesting battle to watch.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: November 02, 2009 01:12PM
Posted by: DJSKYLINE
Pffft! Bring michelin back!! They had nicer tyre walls imo ;)

Date: November 02, 2009 04:32PM
Posted by: Incident 2k9
Avon!! Nah Goodyear would be great lol.
Date: November 02, 2009 05:55PM
Posted by: Fincent
Either have a single control tyre, or have more than 3. The problem with having only two tyre manufacturers is that the field gets split in half. Either youre tyre A or tyre B, each having their own specific characteristics. It was annoying and I hated it when it would either be a Michelin circuit or a Bridgestone circuit. With a multitude of tyre suppliers (eg. Michelin, Pirelli, Dunlop, Goodyear, Yokohama etc) then it would add a lot more variables into the mix and would avoid the "one or the other" situation.

However the most likely outcome is going to be a single tyre manufacturer as this avoids an "arms race" like we had a few years back and will keep costs under control.

Circuit Thermalito

Liverpool Waterfront Circuit (WIP)
Date: November 02, 2009 06:09PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
Hoosiers plz.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: November 02, 2009 06:44PM
Posted by: EC83
DJSKYLINE Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Pffft! Bring michelin back!! They had nicer tyre
> walls imo ;)

Date: November 02, 2009 07:08PM
Posted by: Guimengo
I hope Michelin considers a return, they had issues with the FIA but hopefully it was more of a Mosley thing and they can forgive Jean Todt :p.
Date: November 02, 2009 07:40PM
Posted by: DJSKYLINE
LOL EC83!

Date: November 02, 2009 07:48PM
GP2 uses Bridgestone.
GP3 uses pirelli and,
FIA F2 runs Avons.

Will Bridgestone stop the supply to GP2 teams also?
Im supprised at Bridgestones departure, the costs have to be significantly down from before...

But my personal hope is Michelin, why on earth they didnt get the contract in the first place is amazing! Did they pull out or did FIA just give it to Bridgestone?

Date: November 02, 2009 08:03PM
Posted by: gav
Michelin didn't give the option. They probably knew there was little hope of getting it anyway, and just wanted to avoid that slightly negative publicity.
Date: November 02, 2009 09:07PM
I never understood that though... Michelin supplied most of the teams (for obvious reasons!) so why were Bridgestone chosen?

Date: November 02, 2009 09:10PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
Michelin were in the FIA bad books. First for the "illegal" tyres (which weren't legal) and for the USA debate.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: November 02, 2009 09:46PM
Posted by: EC83
Michelin were really involved in a lot of controversy during their last stint in F1. As well as Indy 2005 and their dodgy tyres in 2003, their tyres generally seemed to be prone to failing, usually at high speeds.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy