Schumacher NOT returning

Posted by alexf1man 
Re: Schumacher NOT returning
Date: August 11, 2009 11:22PM
Posted by: Guimengo
To me F1 is better after him (Schumacher), we mostly get true battles where we don't know the outcome. There's more honesty to the sport. In exchange for one great driver we got Hamilton, Vettel, now Massa too and Button/Webber/Kubica given the car helps them. That's 6 vs 1, I take the higher number.
Date: August 12, 2009 12:01AM
Posted by: danm
Perhaps schummi wasn't as quick on the onset as ferrari would have hoped. I still think the cancellation is a big media pull.

Start the hype, see if he would be missed. He is.

Get him in the car, find out he really is rusty. Without trial of the new car, he needs to get fit AND be able to drive a modified 07/08 machine.

So, announce schummi is unfit to drive, que big disappointment all round.

Then, out of nowhere, super schummi suddenly spends the few extra weeks he needs upping his fitness, and getting that all important mileage under him with new car handling.

Makes for a great media pull, schummi from zero to hero, and possibly doing a one off only... say Spa, the origins and ending of his career, or maybe a one off for Monza.

I bet you anything he will race at least one!

He is just buying time and toying.

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
Date: August 12, 2009 12:43AM
Posted by: duff_3519
A shame, to be sure, but he's got to look after himself for the sake of his family.

And you know what? I'm going to tune-in for Valencia anyway (Haven't watched an F1 race all year really) and root for Badoer- I reckon he played a fairly significant role in Ferraris years of success so its the least he deserves, particularly given he missed out in 1999. I feel he would have been equal to Salo if he'd been given the opportunity.
Date: August 12, 2009 05:18AM
Posted by: micky-cannonball
Michael will not return, too shame!, anyways... expect to see "Buhhh!" banner on valencia for schumi ;), those schumacher-fans out their came for nothing. Oh no! this is the worst race ever! no schumacher! no alonso! no excitement veteran battles!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2009 05:40AM by micky-cannonball.
Date: August 12, 2009 09:15AM
Posted by: sunil
-------------------------------------------------------
>He added that he would have to satisfy his wife and Ferrari that his physical condition was strong enough to race again.

Looks like he failed ;)

===================================================================================================================
i7 950@4GHZ 1.24V|Asus P6X58D-E|Dominators 10GB(2GBx5)1600C8|Corsair H70|Corsair 800D|Corsair HX850|EVGA,Zotac GTX 2x470|VX2433W FULL HD|X-Fi Plantinum|Creative S750 Gigaworks7.1|NZXT Sentry 2|7TB
Date: August 12, 2009 10:29AM
Posted by: Ho3n3r
Yep it isn't - I watched all of his races from 1996 til he retired, as opposed to maybe watching 3 races since he retired. It's not interesting any more. No-one does it for fun any more, just money and fame.

Schumi, you could see his passion and commitment at every corner.
Date: August 12, 2009 12:13PM
Posted by: chet
"Yep it isn't - I watched all of his races from 1996 til he retired, as opposed to maybe watching 3 races since he retired. It's not interesting any more. No-one does it for fun any more, just money and fame."

Im sorry but what do you base that on?

Kimi, granted, he doesnt look like he's enjoying it anymore but how can you say they are in it for fame and money?

This is what they have been doing all their life, racing! Jenson and Rubens this year took a huge paycut, when I bet both drivers could have moved team with more money (jenson at least)! No driver is there for just money and fame, they are there to win. Besides that Schumachers idea of 'fun' was not the same as Damons or Jacques. If you dont watch the sport anymore because of his absense fair enough, but the sport is bigger than 1 name. I think you'll find you will still enjoy it.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: August 12, 2009 12:28PM
Posted by: micky-cannonball
chet Wrote:
> but the sport is bigger than 1 name.

Not really... put schumacher on lower formula classes such as palmer audi.. i bet their net sales and profit would be 100% big time!

Date: August 12, 2009 12:39PM
Posted by: marcl
The other thing that makes me laugh is we have had 3 years without MS driving and not any people missed him.

Now he can not drive people miss him.

MS driving would not have improved the cars, racing, over taking or anything.

People used to moan all he done was drive at the front and not race people and it was boring.

The sport is not worse off with him or without him.

People are moaning that they booked tickets to see him etc, this is why I dont just follow one team one driver I watch F1 as a sport and follow more than one team one driver.

The whole thing was done the wrong way, he should have tested then said he was coming back. Not I am coming back if I pass the tests.

Even Prost is questioning things, hell I did not even know he was invited back to Ferrari for 1995 to help MS win the championship. What a joke.
Date: August 12, 2009 12:55PM
Posted by: The Lopper
+ 1 tbh.

While it'd be interesting to see him racing again, I can't see how people expected him to completely re-invigorate the sport. Can't see how the last two seasons of F1 were any less exciting than the 6 or so seasons prior to that when Schumacher was in his prime. 3 years out of the sport, he would very possibly have struggled to get up to speed. Perhaps he'll make an appearance at one of the later races, if his neck (and his rustiness) heal further...
Date: August 12, 2009 02:12PM
Posted by: Isaint
marcl Wrote:
> The other thing that makes me laugh is we have had
> 3 years without MS driving and not any people
> missed him.
>
> Now he can not drive people miss him.
>
> MS driving would not have improved the cars,
> racing, over taking or anything.
>
> People used to moan all he done was drive at the
> front and not race people and it was boring.
>
> The sport is not worse off with him or without
> him.
>
> People are moaning that they booked tickets to see
> him etc, this is why I dont just follow one team
> one driver I watch F1 as a sport and follow more
> than one team one driver.
>
> The whole thing was done the wrong way, he should
> have tested then said he was coming back. Not I
> am coming back if I pass the tests.
>
> Even Prost is questioning things, hell I did not
> even know he was invited back to Ferrari for 1995
> to help MS win the championship. What a joke.

I agree with you, testing should have been completed then the anowncement to return should have been made.
But to say that F1 has not missed Schumacher for three years ......? The fact that even people that did not like him were actually looking forward to his return proves that,that is not so. You personally may not have missed him and that is your opinion of course but to be honest .... I like most people suddenly realised how pedestrian Formula 1 has recently become without the likes of SChummie. There is more going on in the board rooms than there is on the track these days. In addition I know that some may argue, ... what about Kimi, what about Vettel, what about Lewis & Alonso? Well sure, they are all quick but about exciteing and Charismatic as an heart attack!
It's only my opinion ... but that's just it ...it's mine.

" Perfection is not a gift ....... it comes with practice."

Member of R.S.C.T Group
Date: August 12, 2009 02:27PM
Posted by: senna4ever
Good decision Schumi .......... !!!

Come on guys lets move on, Schu is NOT F1 and many greats have come and gone so lets move on shall we?

What is with Ferrari? Wanting to field THREE CARS (with one for Schumi??) THis is F1 not F-Ferrari!

I see Ferrari Boss figures he rather see 3 Ferrari's, 3 McLarens, 3 Renaults then what he calls the NEW TEAMS as "whatevers" .......... ?????

Pleeeezzzzz Mr Ferrari, this is FORMULA ONE and NOT FORMULA FERRARI. !!!

What made F1 boring was precisely the all and only FERRARI domination in the first place for the best part of the 2000 years. LETS MOVE ON to a multi of choices and winners and not just a high speed progression of the same face always in the front ............

GET WELL SOON MASSA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Date: August 12, 2009 02:39PM
Posted by: Ho3n3r
Not to be rude senna4ever, but your name suggests you haven't moved on either :P
Date: August 12, 2009 02:50PM
Posted by: marcl
F1 has not changed since he has gone, the cars have yes, but the racing has not.

MS used to get the lead and that was it, at least at the moment people are fighting for the win and down the field.

F1 is as pedestrian now as it was with MS driving. His return as I said would not have made people pass etc.

A lot of people were looking forward to his return, true. But what were they hoping for? for him to win. Then others were looking forward to see him fail and be like Mansell in 1995.

People think he is god and can do anything, I dont think he could have got that Ferrari to the top. Kimi and Massa have been trying all year, yes its got better but its not the best. Plus MS had never used KERS or the slicks or even tested with the current levels of downforce. It would have taken him 2 races to get up to full speed yet people exepected him to win straight away.

I was looking forward to the Kimi MS battle thats for sure, but I just had a feeling he would not come back.
Date: August 12, 2009 02:55PM
Posted by: senna4ever
We all have our heros Ho3Nr3 - you dont see me wishing Senna back and had he not died I dont think Schumi would have had the results he got after Senna.

BUT THAT IS PAST TENSE and F1 has moved on and should continue to do so

Dont let my NICK mislead you ........ :)
Date: August 12, 2009 03:25PM
Posted by: DJSKYLINE
Imagine 3 cars per team for team tactics ;)

Date: August 12, 2009 03:32PM
Posted by: Ferrari2007
Monaco....

Bernoldi would find himself getting a lot of good deals ;)

Races: 163 - Wins: 23 - Pole Positions: 24 - Fastest Laps: 22
Season 9: Constructors' Champions
Date: August 12, 2009 04:18PM
Posted by: Guimengo
NO! You're not taking him out of the Flamengo car in the SuperLeague! ;)
Date: August 12, 2009 04:27PM
Posted by: Ferrari2007
Maybe Rubens can drive it next year ;)

I hope not though

Races: 163 - Wins: 23 - Pole Positions: 24 - Fastest Laps: 22
Season 9: Constructors' Champions
Date: August 12, 2009 05:18PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
If Schumacher still does race this year, I can't see it being at Spa, because it is only one week after Valencia. With Monza only two weeks later, that might not be possible either. Fractured bones in the neck are obviously not easy to get over, so if he does a one-off race - probably quite unlikely, although who knows if he can recover a bit more - maybe it would be more like Suzuka or Interlagos instead.

X (@ed24f1)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy