The Official Monaco F1 Grand Prix 2009 Thread **SPOILERS**?

Posted by mcdo 
Think it'll depend on whether a driver from a rival team can catch them up on points or not. As things are there's no immediate threat, but if a Vettel or a Kimi has some good results and gets into the mix, then Ross would maybe start favouring one driver, probably Jenson, unless he totally self-destructs over the next few races.

The good thing for Brawn may be that there are many contenders for the win if Brawn fail at one race. Red Bull & Ferrari are the main threats as well. But Mclaren, Toyota and Williams have shown they have pace this season. If they all start taking wins off each other then Brawn should be fine.

Is Button only one race behind the amount that Hamilton won last year?

matt3454 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is Button only one race behind the amount that
> Hamilton won last year?

Excluding the win on the track at Spa that Lewis wasn't allowed to keep, Jenson's equalled him already, but since Lewis was only penalised in the interests of manufacturing a "close" title battle IMO, I think that yeah, you're right.

Hamilton was punished for cheating. Perhaps this season people will come to realise that's actually possible. ;-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2009 10:47PM by gav.
I don't disagree that he bent the rules and should have faced some kind of disciplinary action. It was the nature of the punishment that disappointed me. A drop of 5 or 10 places on the grid at Monza would have been sufficient punishment, considering he did let Kimi repass him. Adding 25 seconds to his race time - very conveniently disadvantaging him relative to Massa in the championship - was over the top. Hamilton did commit a crime, but the punishment he got did not fit it.

EC83 Wrote:
> I don't disagree that he bent the rules and should
> have faced some kind of disciplinary action. It
> was the nature of the punishment that disappointed
> me. A drop of 5 or 10 places on the grid at Monza
> would have been sufficient punishment, considering
> he did let Kimi repass him. Adding 25 seconds to
> his race time - very conveniently disadvantaging
> him relative to Massa in the championship - was
> over the top. Hamilton did commit a crime, but the
> punishment he got did not fit it.

Yeah except thats the standard penalty for his offence, had he have done it in the middle of the race, he would have recieved a drive thru. It would have been wrong to have given Hamilton a lighter penalty just to keep his disciples happy.

Isn't Hamilton now holding the record for most punishments in a year(previously held by Senna and Schumacher of course)?

Maybe next time they can give Lewis a warning over the radio like they did to Massa who all weekend kept going over that chicane :)

Lewis is doing well this year, he has gone 5 races without a penalty lol.
The difference was that Hamilton pure and simple cut the chicane, and directly profitted from it (ie he used it to overtake), while Massa was more being too greedy (you can't see how much of his wheel is over the kerb, you just have to take aim and fire).

Frankly the whole chicane thing was a mess. They either should have started the weekend with such warnings or they should have left them. Sort it out for next year... or give us our old Swimming Pool back ;)
Gav I totally agree with you, either make it so they can not cut it or just remove it.

I was joking about the warning thing btw, but if you watch the in car from Massa on a good number of laps he used far more of it than anyone else and it was the same last year.

The simple way to stop him was give a drive through, Fissi lost some quali times on Saturday for using to much of it.
off topic but somewhat related;

Tony started to race his new helmet based in Brawn gp colors as revealed in his blog, he hopes this to bring him luck:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2009 02:48PM by Rodrigo007.
SexySam182 Wrote:
> Yeah except thats the standard penalty for his
> offence, had he have done it in the middle of the
> race, he would have recieved a drive thru. It
> would have been wrong to have given Hamilton a
> lighter penalty just to keep his disciples happy.

That's a good point. I just don't think it's fair on any driver to give them a penalty like a drive thru if they've given the place back to their rival.

NickKK Wrote:
> Isn't Hamilton now holding the record for most
> punishments in a year(previously held by Senna and
> Schumacher of course)?

If he doesn't then he's close. If you push the envelope as much as he does then it's inevitable you're gonna get burned sometimes. There were other things last year which he was lucky not to get in trouble for, like his moments with Glock and Webber at Monza.

gav Wrote:
> Frankly the whole chicane thing was a mess. They
> either should have started the weekend with such
> warnings or they should have left them. Sort it
> out for next year... or give us our old Swimming
> Pool back ;)

Agreed.

well obviosly hamilton wants to beat senna's record, his a wannabe ayrton style btw. he take punishment in a "baby way" whilst senna take punishment in "man to man" way. ;)

Can you please tell me what years and races senna was punished please as I remember 2, 1989 Japan and 1993 Brazil. Oh and at Imola 1984 I think it was due to tyres from what I remember reading.

I remember Senna moaning all the time before 1990 how badly treated he was (quite right to). I remember Alonso moaning none stop about the penalty in Hungry and Italy. Yet people forget these :)

At least neither Senna or Lewis ever lost a whole years points :)

I am still yet to see this interview where Lewis says he is Senna, I have only seen the one where he said he would love to achieve what Senna did. One of my mates also goes on about Lewis saying he is the next Senna.

Also I loved watching the old footage on BBC from Monaco, the drivers used to have to fight to pass back markers. Its all to easy now days.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2009 03:56PM by marcl.
marcl Wrote:
> Can you please tell me what years and races senna
> was punished please as I remember 2, 1989 Japan
> and 1993 Brazil. Oh and at Imola 1984 I think it
> was due to tyres from what I remember reading.

At Imola in 1984 Senna just failed to qualify. He was banned from taking part in the 1984 Italian GP by the Toleman team for going behind their backs and signing his contract with Lotus.
He was DQ'd at Adelaide in 1987 for having illegal brake ducts on his Lotus, and he was black flagged at Rio in 1988 for starting anyway in the spare car after his race car had gearbox failure as the field formed up to take the start.

> Also I loved watching the old footage on BBC from
> Monaco, the drivers used to have to fight to pass
> back markers. Its all to easy now days.

At Monaco in 1989 Rene Arnoux let Senna past easily and then blocked Prost for about 4-5 laps. Prost eventually had to get tough and barge his way past. Arnoux was famous for that towards the end of his career. That day at Monaco he managed to annoy literally about half the drivers on the grid.

Cheers EC83 they were all before I started watching F1.

None of them penalties/bans were really his fault though, where as all Lewis ones have been his fault.

Imola 1984 is showing up as tyres :( They were switching makes or they switched after due to not getting in the race? Its hard to find the right info on that one.

Monaco 1989 was the very 1st GP I ever watched fully, I remember Murry going on about Rene.

But other years as well that they showed not just Monaco other tracks where the leaders had to use their skill to get past back markers. I think it used to make it more exciting tbh.
You're welcome :)

Tyres were one of Senna's issues at Imola in '84, the other one was a persistent fuel pressure problem. The tyre situation in 1984 was pretty messy, Goodyear, Michelin and Pirelli all had the better tyres at different races, and a few teams changed tyre suppliers at short notice over the course of the season.

Monaco 1989 was the first GP I ever watched as well!

I know what you mean RE lapping traffic, an important driving skill has been lost. There was a great segment of the GP at Hockenheim in 1989 when Prost and Senna caught and lapped a bunch of 7 slower cars, all different manufacturers, who were all slipstreaming and battling with each other too. It makes great viewing.

Yes, these days they whip out the blue flags as soon as the leading car is on the horizon, no less!

NickKK Wrote:
> Isn't Hamilton now holding the record for most
> punishments in a year(previously held by Senna and
> Schumacher of course)?

and a lot more records
First Black Man in F1
Youngest F1 champion
First Driver to loose a Championship on the last race with such a huge point advantage
First Driver to ram a rival at the red light in the pitlane
First Driver to call a rival Ball-less
First driver to get stuck at a sand trap in the pit entry while winning a race (altough i've seen worse)
First Driver to lie the stewards to penalize an opponent

and many more, Stay tuned!
Yes DC hitting the pit lane wall in Australia was worse as the track was dry. But then he was not in a championship battle.

And tbh how many drivers have now gone in that sand in China lol, plus he was not leading the race if I remember right kimi had got the lead.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy