The Official Bahrain Grand Prix 2009 Thread (*spoilers*)

Posted by The Lopper 
gav Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> EC83 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Well, that run-of-the-mill race finally
> happened
> > then :P
>
> If that's our bog-stardard run-of-the-mill race in
> 2009, then I'll be delighted, as it was still far
> better than most races in the past 5 seasons.
>
> It was a bit processional at times, but I think
> the first 3 laps had more overtakes than all of
> Interlagos. At one point there were about 4 rows
> of cars side-by-side (and I don't mean on the grid
> ;)).
>
> If that was an average to poor race, then 2009 is
> spoiling us massively. :D

Yep, that it certainly is. A race at a Tilkedrome, uninterrupted by the SC and with dry/stable weather all weekend, all the conditions which in previous seasons would've pointed to a borefest; and yet the race made great viewing throughout. And the action those first 3 laps was really great, helped no end by the two crippled BMs.

Although the most extreme test of exciting racing this season is almost certainly still to come, no doubt 2 weeks or so from now :S

ferrari is going back to the 80s

"and yet the race made great viewing throughout."

Can't say i agree. The last 30+ laps were certainly not great.

Naboo Wrote:
> The Red Bull are using a Renault engine which goes
> to show that that engine is much better off
> without KERS, and how bad the Renault team's Aero
> package must be, the Torro Rosso use Ferrari's
> engine and have the Red bull shape which says alot
> about the ferrari engine.

or the drivers, Bourdais doesn't fit, either the car is wrong or the track is wrong or the weather is wrong, or his seat is wrong or the day is wrong, or F1 is wrong...

and Buemi is still learning, he will get some points later this season and send Bourdais back to the US
tripleM Wrote:
> "and yet the race made great viewing throughout."
>
> Can't say i agree. The last 30+ laps were
> certainly not great.

I thought there was a good amount of interesting strategy playing out still. They were still a good bit better than the last 30+ laps of any dry/SC-less race in the last few years, surely?

Slash Wrote:
> Naboo Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > The Red Bull are using a Renault engine which
> goes
> > to show that that engine is much better off
> > without KERS, and how bad the Renault team's
> Aero
> > package must be, the Torro Rosso use Ferrari's
> > engine and have the Red bull shape which says
> alot
> > about the ferrari engine.
>
>
> or the drivers, Bourdais doesn't fit, either the
> car is wrong or the track is wrong or the weather
> is wrong, or his seat is wrong or the day is
> wrong, or F1 is wrong...
>
> and Buemi is still learning, he will get some
> points later this season and send Bourdais back to
> the US

Buemi is looking very good so far IMO, and that's Bourdais' cue to be nervous. If Buemi whoops him this year it's bye bye for his F1 career I'd imagine.

SAMF1 Wrote:
> ferrari is going back to the 80s

Marc Gene about the new car to "AS": "We can close the gap to Brawn at Barcelona, maybe we can even overtake them". "The F60B has made the biggest aerodynamic progress I´ve ever seen at Ferrari
Has he tested the car no, so he does not know for sure. Its all wind tunnel stats that can mean nothing on the track.
marcl Wrote:
> Has he tested the car no, so he does not know for
> sure. Its all wind tunnel stats that can mean
> nothing on the track.

oh but he has tested the car on track this week ...only straight line test but anyway on track :)
He has tested it yes, although we can say partially the new spec, some new parts (to be fit only in Spanish version despite the little ones directed at the F60A in China already) in Vairano couple of weeks ago, Ferrari will now conduct another round of tests this Friday and Saturday (again in Vairano) with the remaining pieces of the F60B plus an additional set of crash tests.
marcl Wrote:
> Has he tested the car no, so he does not know for
> sure.

He might well have done, but only in a straight line. :P

The Ferrari doesn't look especially flawed (save for the reliability question marks), just like the McLaren, it's just not got the grip of the others yet. McLaren have made big strides in the past couple of weeks, so when Ferrari start rolling out their updates, there's nothing to say they can make similar or larger strides.
I am very worried about Barcelona. AFCA reported that Mclaren had introduced 12 new parts in Bahrain, most of which were aerodynamic parts. They plan more for Spain, a special Monaco package and yet more for Turkey which I persume will be the last updates of major until Spa/Monza.

I have not notice Ferrari bring any new major parts over these 4 races, so I suspect their Barcelona package will be a big one.

Likewise with RedBull and BMW. Though RedBull have bought along changes to their floor there is still so much to find.

I really hope Brawn can bring a strong package to Barcelona nad remain fighting for wins. James Allen and Mark Hughes (?) have posted very good articles on the JamesAllenonF1 and BBCF1. Worth a read.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
I am not saying that ferrari wont move forward, as they will they have to really.

I forgot about they straight line testing.

Mclaren have made progress but still have a long way to go.

Both Ferrari and Mclaren do seem better with their race pace than quali pace.

I still think the teams infront will remain there as the others have further to catch up and get past them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/2009 04:06PM by marcl.
Watch this clip from the BBC of Webbers first lap, watch throughout the lap the amount of debris flicking off the cars infront through contact, its mental.

[news.bbc.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/2009 11:08PM by Craigo.
For me the best car of the grid its the Red Bull. He can fight (and win) for the 1st places without diffusser and KERS... and they will have a diffuser in Monaco. For me, the title today is between Button and Vettel, and if Ferrari makes an awesome progress maybe Raikkonen

I think Vettel will still make errors, and I dont think the team is as good as Brawn. I think Button has the advantage.
Title battle will be between Button, Hamilton and one of the Ferrari drivers... depending on whether it's the McLaren or Ferrari who end up fastest when development finally levels out a bit.

I can see Vettel doing a bit of a Frentzen '99 - bloody well, far ahead of expectations, but not quite having enough to win the title. He's still a kid. He's got the ability and the attitude, but when the pressure keeps on coming at him, I doubt he'll be quite as chirpy as he is now. Like most, I hope I'm wrong though.
I think it will be the team that lets him down more than he will if you know what I mean.

I do wish BMW would stop saying they had the performance to win in Australia, they were miles behind. The only reason Kubica got close to Vettel was due to the saftey car, Button and Vettel were about 30 seconds clear I think.

I bet though Button wishes he got full point in Sepang, he would have been about 17 point clear which would be handy for when the others close up.

I think Button will win it as long as he wins a few more races and keeps getting points. There will hopefully be about 5 teams that can win and the drivers will takes points off each other so it will be so hard to close the gap to Button. Normally in the past there has only been 2 teams really fighting and thats why gaps were closed, this year is so different and each week we get another team on pole.

If in 2 or 3 races time no one has closed that gap I think it's his to lose.
Im not so sure Gav. I do think RedBull have what it takes to take this title and they will push for it!

IF, and a big if, but if Jenson wins or comes 2nd in Spain and Monaco then I believe the title is within grasp. If not i think he will have to fight hard to keep his posistion.

We will see all in Barcelona though. I just hope Brawns developments are enough to keep them near enough the top for Jenson to have a chance at winning races. I also hope they can fix their one-lap issue because then I do believe we could possibly see a Mclaren 2005 type thing. Though not as dominant in terms of pace, but the one-lap pace to go with it's race pace! We all saw what happenend for Mclaren when they fixed the one lap issues!

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Even when RBR fit the diffuser they stil might not be faster, look at Renault for example.

The Brawn car was designed from scratch to use it, the other cars are not. Yes they might find some time, but the RBR needs to much work they could end up losing time esle where in the car.

I just dont think RBR are reliable enough and thats what will cost them.

Many people do not think they would have won in China had it not rained, we will never know though.
marcl's raised a good point there, you could well have a stage where Ferrari, McLaren, Brawn, Red Bull and Toyota are all in a position to fight for victories. Therefore if Brawn can keep themselves ahead long enough to extend their advantage a bit further, it'll be very hard for anyone to close up.

If Ferrari are in a position to challenge, I'd hope that Kimi'd wake up, because I don't think Felipe has the potential to overhaul the gap. They are a bit behind, but they do have KERS and this thing will be what gives them and McLaren that crucial advantage once they are fully up-to-speed.

Personally I think it'll be between Button, Vettel and Hamilton. It's unfortunate for Toyota, because I think they've got the car to be in there this year, but as much as I like O'Glock, I don't think any driver has the potential to push for a championship.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy