Posted by: Rodrigo007
Re: 2009 Pre-Season Testing
Date: March 05, 2009 04:14PM
Posted by: watercolours
What's that?
Date: March 05, 2009 04:45PM
Posted by: Ali
In my opinion McLaren is having problems. With the limitation of tests I don't see the point on using still the 2008 rear wing. Are they so sure that its 2009 will be fast enough without tests? The changes have been so radical that hide speed without putting everyting in tests is nonesense to me. Most of the teams are running 500Km per day with its 2009 car.

McLaren has had big failures in recent history like 2004 and 2006 cars, so I don't see why this couldn't happen again.
Date: March 05, 2009 05:22PM
Posted by: vbc
I agree, I also think McLaren will have a difficult season like 2004 and 2006, let's see how Hamilton handles a non-top car.

BMW and Williams were who put their new designs on track first, so I really hope at least one of them to be close to the top when the season begins.

It's going to be funny when Melbourne arrives and those who prefer plastic arts over aerodynamics see the designs :)

"
-I love the Williams, oh no they changed its colours, now it looks terrible.
-That Red Bull is stunning, oh no they added a shark fin it is ugly now.
-The Renault can't be worse, but Alonso was one of the fastest during testing.
"

LOL :D

Thanks GP3Hotlaps
Date: March 05, 2009 06:04PM
Posted by: Guimengo
-The Williams paintjob isn't too nice, a bad design can take away the beauty of a shape ;-)
-The Red Bull was a pleasantly looking car but I cannot see how someone can appreciate that monstrosity on the engine cover and think it adds to the car
-Alonso has been suffering quite a lot this year with the car, having a one-off day doesn't mean anything

You won't prove your aerodynamics point here :P.
Date: March 05, 2009 06:17PM
Posted by: marcl
Lewis crashed today, a gust of wind caused him to lose the car. They were testing new and rear wings and using that liquid again.

All in all not been a good winter for them, but then neither was last winter or the winter before.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2009 06:22PM by marcl.
Date: March 05, 2009 08:04PM
Posted by: Bruninho
the truth about their rear end seems to be getting clear now.

Some ppl believe that their rear suspension geometry is wrong, which makes their rear tyres wear levels "go through the roof" and therefore over a long stint they are 1s slower than the normal.

What it has to do with them using different rear wings? Well... I'm not an engineer/aerodynamicist so I really dont know ;)

Date: March 05, 2009 08:11PM
Posted by: gav
If it was something as simple as that it wouldn't have taken them this long to sort it, and it should have been picked up on at Woking many months back. Force India have to use the same mounts as McLaren and if that is the case, then FI have redesigned their rear suspension in 4 months and made a better job of it than the team who developed the layout for a completely different car. I just can't see it to be honest. It's quite likely it is one of many contributing factors though.... if it is a problem and not just a smokescreen.
Date: March 05, 2009 08:27PM
Also if they wore their tyres out more they would be slow over a race distance and they are not.

I think you will find its the opposite and they are not getting heat into the the rears, they over used them last year and maybe tried to change this and now they are not heavy enough on them? just a thought.
Date: March 05, 2009 09:24PM
Apart from the slow pace of McLarens, I have stated that rearmost part of MP4-24's engine cover is semi-transparent. It's clear in the picture below. The outer lines of right fin of rear wing is clearly visible through engine cover. I don't know how they manage to prevent texts to be seen, but everything else can be seen through.

Date: March 05, 2009 09:28PM
Posted by: Rodrigo007
What was informed, this is in Pedro's words, is that they're using the 2008 rear wing now because it simulates the level of downforce they expect with their new diffuser.

In the previous tests it was due they not having the high downforce one ready yet, and posteriorly due them comparing the differences.
Date: March 05, 2009 09:59PM
Posted by: Gusgus
watercolours Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Apart from the slow pace of McLarens, I have
> stated that rearmost part of MP4-24's engine cover
> is semi-transparent. It's clear in the picture
> below. The outer lines of right fin of rear wing
> is clearly visible through engine cover. I don't
> know how they manage to prevent texts to be seen,
> but everything else can be seen through.
>
> [img217.imageshack.us].
> jpg

It's not semi-transparent, the chrome reflects the other side of the car !

My workthread here
Date: March 05, 2009 10:56PM
It's clearly semitransparent. In all the photos I've mentioned above and before it was said that they are just reflections. But all the photos have different angles, but in every shot what we see through the engine cover (or "on the engine cover" if it's a reflection) is always clearly aligned with the other side of the car. If it was a reflection, then there should have been misalignment with the other side of the car in some shots but nope, there is not any. It's impossible for reflections to be aligned perfectly with the other side in every shot.
Posted by: mika19b
Rodrigo007 Wrote:
> What was informed, this is in Pedro's words, is
> that they're using the 2008 rear wing now because
> it simulates the level of downforce they expect
> with their new diffuser.
>
> In the previous tests it was due they not having
> the high downforce one ready yet, and posteriorly
> due them comparing the differences.

I hope he's telling the truth...
I am looking more at the rear tyre lol
Date: March 06, 2009 12:03AM
Posted by: Mitsuro Sano
watercolours ecrit:
> It's clearly semitransparent. In all the photos
> I've mentioned above and before it was said that
> they are just reflections. But all the photos have
> different angles, but in every shot what we see
> through the engine cover (or "on the engine cover"
> if it's a reflection) is always clearly aligned
> with the other side of the car. If it was a
> reflection, then there should have been
> misalignment with the other side of the car in
> some shots but nope, there is not any. It's
> impossible for reflections to be aligned perfectly
> with the other side in every shot.

It's the reflections :)! the McLaren fin is flat so that reflects like a mirror,and as a F1 is globally symetrical, it looks like we can see through the engine cover. It's the same with all the other f1 cars.

Ciao
Date: March 06, 2009 12:27AM
Posted by: NunoEspadinha
watercolours, get that pics in here again, please.. that's a thing that is making me<curious, really. i already saw that more than once and i find strange that coincidence in so many photos..

-----------------------------
Virtual-Games.com: [www.virtual-games.com]
Virtual-Games.com Racing Team: [racing.virtual-games.com]

Date: March 06, 2009 12:51AM
Posted by: n00binio
watercolours schrieb:
> I don't
> know how they manage to prevent texts to be seen,
> but everything else can be seen through.

that's the point: you simply can't create a semi-transparent surface and prevent certain structures (like text) from being seen.

used to be GPGSL's Nick Heidfeld
Date: March 06, 2009 01:16AM
Posted by: ralv585
is it me, or is the bmw starting to look a little sexy?

el new carios, is growio on meio

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2009 03:17AM by ralv585.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy