-------------------------------------------------------
> What would be more interesting is to see an F1 car
> lap an oval.

i think that happened once.
It was something like f1 car (maybe honda) vs indycar? vs something else

Re: Top Speed
Date: September 07, 2008 07:12PM
Posted by: stipe
I think that F1 is fastest on any type of circuits except oval. It definitively can be set-up to race on oval but I think that F1 car don't have a chance vs. IndyCar like Indycar don't have a chance on any other type of tracks.
F1 is purpose build car for cornering (for example) and IndyCar is purpose build for ovals. Like rally cars are build for gravel roads and so on.

But would be interesting to have direct comparison between some of racing cars (F1, IndyCar, GP2, Protos, ...) on different race tracks (oval like California speedway, fast race track like Monza, and some slow street track like Monaco or some at american continent-USA).
To bad that F1 don't have power and speed like in '04-'05 ;)
Date: September 07, 2008 10:24PM
Posted by: Slash
Toyota took their car to Laguna Seca for a demonstration run.. and it beat the record held by Castroneves in the CART back in 2000, or 2001, and it was on the third lap of the demonstration...

also Champ car went to montreal and i think the pole position was something like 7 secs slower than F1 car.. from 2006... but i remember in 2004, Jenson's pole lap was something like 1.13.2, which would've been 10 secs faster than the Champ car..

this is one of the best videos i've seen, it's Gil De Ferran qualyfying for Fonatana back in 2000 in CART, the power of the honda engine and the speed is amazing, and Gil recorded the world speed record on a closed course, 241.428 mph

on a road course, no car stance a chance against an F1 machine

and remeber, some rules in F1 are meant to make the cars run slower, if they had the same rules as other series, speeds would be much much faster

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2008 10:26PM by Slash.
Date: September 07, 2008 11:04PM
Posted by: Sapo
Huh, the driver with the highest average speed is on pole in CART? (I really don't know anything about USA motorsports).

Some say... he's even smaller than 20kb.
And some say... he's so offensive he could get you into trouble...
The only thing we know is that he's called...

THE SIG

Felipe Massa, World Champion 15:34:11pm- 15:34:21pm.
Date: September 07, 2008 11:19PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
Date: September 07, 2008 09:04PM
Posted by: Sapo (IP Logged)

Huh, the driver with the highest average speed is on pole in CART? (I really don't know anything about USA motorsports).

You do realise that the car with the highest average speed is the car with the fastest lap time, yes?

Speeds are used for the oval series because its easier to visualize it. An average speed of 220mph means more than a 33 second lap time.

See, now *this* is fast

">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: September 07, 2008 11:20PM
Posted by: Slash
it's the same thing Sapo, if you did a lap with highest speed, it means it took you lesser time to complete it, i think they do it on ovals only, not 100% sure thou.. but you know how americans are, Km-Miles, Mts-Feets, if you knmow what i mean...
Date: September 07, 2008 11:37PM
Posted by: stipe
Average speed is the same like lap/race time. Winner always have highest average speed. That mean that driver are passed given distance in shortest time what is equal to be faster/quicker that other competitors. Uhh, hope that I express myself correct ;)
Date: September 08, 2008 12:05PM
Posted by: Sapo
Ok ok guys, stupid indeed from me. Ofcourse you're all right. I am so used to laptimes, I didn;t realize average speed was the same.

Some say... he's even smaller than 20kb.
And some say... he's so offensive he could get you into trouble...
The only thing we know is that he's called...

THE SIG

Felipe Massa, World Champion 15:34:11pm- 15:34:21pm.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy