FORMULA 1™ ING MAGYAR NAGYDIJ GRAND PRIX 2008

Posted by Bruninho 
Re: FORMULA 1™ ING MAGYAR NAGYDIJ GRAND PRIX 2008
Date: August 03, 2008 05:54PM
Posted by: chet
They played for ITV so must have been just Aus.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: August 03, 2008 05:59PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
ok, good. nothing played at all for a while, and then the champagne song came on when the anthem should have been on...

must have been a problem with the audio sync or something similar

X (@ed24f1)
Date: August 03, 2008 06:22PM
Posted by: Morbid
n00binio Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> i believe i do but i have to admit that it´s
> meaning could vary from country to country. i have
> to add that at least here in germany cheering for
> countrymen/women in sports is also a part of the
> meaning of patriotism. for sure this is not the
> original meaning of the word but it is (in
> germany) also used in this context. this might be
> caused by the fact that there are not many
> histoical events in recent history (20 th century)
> a german could be proud of. so as i said
> patriotism in germany is mainly condensated onto
> the activity of supporting teams or single persons
> in sports.
> i have to admit that i know that for example in
> the usa it is different and i wasn´t aware of the
> fact that this post could lead to a lot of
> missunderstanding.

As I thought... You are talking about some defuse sense of nationalism. You don't have a clue what patriotism means.

It does not vary from country to country. It is a specific identification with the values upon which your selected country of choice is built. So being a patriot is a choice of citizenship based on values you believe in. The fundamental belief is that the state exists to loyally serve the citizen, not the other way around, as nationalism demands. If your country radically changes values from what the patriot believe in, the patriot is compelled to seek a more fitting citizenship elsewhere. Patriots also recognize that other choices may equally suit other patriots just as well.

Hence an Italian patriot that meets a German patriot knows he has found a friend. Whereas an Italian nationalist that meets a German nationalist knows he has found an enemy, even though they totally agree in ideology - and an Italian nationalist that meets a German non-nationalist will despise him as weak. That is why nationalism leads to war and patriotism leads to peace. That is why nationalism leads to hooliganism and outrageously biased sports journalism, and patriotism leads to celebration of sports and fellowship of fans.'

The difference is huge...

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2008 06:23PM by Morbid.
Date: August 03, 2008 06:39PM
Posted by: Vader
I am German myself never cheered for "contrymen/women in sports". Why cheer for a bunch of millionaires?

n00binio Wrote:
> so as i said patriotism in germany is mainly condensated
> onto the activity of supporting teams or single persons
> in sports.
>

Du studierst bestimmt SoWi oder so was.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: August 03, 2008 07:09PM
Posted by: Karan
Engine failure costs Schumi championship in 2006...hope Massa doesnt suffer the same fate in the end. But fortunately theres a long way to go this season, and this things tend to even out as we've seen in the past. Championship is still tight as ever, and this is gonna be a great second half.

Congrats to Heikki, bit undeserved tbh, but thats how things roll in F1. Another feel good story was to see Glock up there in P2, way to go Timo!

Hopefully Massa comes back fired up in the next round, and Raikkonen really needs to string a good set of results here. Roll on Valencia!

Date: August 03, 2008 07:17PM
Posted by: Monza972
I just got this from Renault's Race Control (Newsletter thingy i've signed up for because i can't arsed to check the times and such on f1 live ;)) and look at the max speed of Piquet, exactly the same as Kimi

Date: August 03, 2008 07:24PM
Posted by: DJSKYLINE
No doubt about it Piquet was driving well today. He set the 4th fastest time beating Kovy and Alonso making it just a shade slower than Hamiltons.

I think the podium has really boosted him and i hope he continues to put some more good performances in

Date: August 03, 2008 07:33PM
Posted by: Shinnbob
Piquet did suprise me today to be honest, i have done nothing but say bad things about him and today, as last GP too he did a good job. Next is to consistently beat Alonso ;)

Date: August 03, 2008 07:34PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
i dont think max speed means much, take glock as an example.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: August 03, 2008 07:37PM
Posted by: Nickv
No, it doesn't. What if you brake too late for T1? You'll have the highest max speed, while ending far outside the points, yay...
Date: August 03, 2008 07:56PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
new
Date: August 03, 2008 05:37PM
Posted by: Nickv (IP Logged)

No, it doesn't. What if you brake too late for T1? You'll have the highest max speed, while ending far outside the points, yay...

Well no because that would assume that the speed trap is actually in the braking zone, which it isn't, otherwise it wouldn't be measure top speeds at all.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: August 03, 2008 08:00PM
Uhm, yes. I stand corrected.
Date: August 03, 2008 08:21PM
Posted by: gav
Poorly executed, but the point stands. There are a lot of variables to take into consideration.

Engine power
Wing level
Overall aerodynamic efficiency
Tyre pressure
Wheel camber
Exit from the previous corner
Wind direction
Wind speed
Date: August 03, 2008 08:30PM
Posted by: DJSKYLINE
gav Wrote:
> Poorly executed, but the point stands. There are a
> lot of variables to take into consideration.
>
> Engine power
> Wing level
> Overall aerodynamic efficiency
> Tyre pressure
> Wheel camber
> Exit from the previous corner
> Wind direction
> Wind speed

and I add Slipstream ;)

Date: August 03, 2008 08:30PM
Posted by: Red_Bull
SchueyFan Wrote:
> ok, good. nothing played at all for a while, and
> then the champagne song came on when the anthem
> should have been on...
>
> must have been a problem with the audio sync or
> something similar

I almost thought the Finnish anthem had suddenly improved...

Date: August 03, 2008 08:35PM
Posted by: n00binio
Vader schrieb:
> I am German myself never cheered for
> "contrymen/women in sports". Why cheer for a bunch
> of millionaires?

i don´t know but lot´s of people do. remember soccer fans back in 06 and this year

@morbid: i get your point, you´re right :)
though there are some differences in the interpretation of patriotism if you compare the english wikipedia and the german one (i admit not the best sources to quote)

e.g. the english version says "Patriotism covers such attitudes as: pride in its achievements and culture, the desire to preserve its character and the basis of the culture, and identification with other members of the nation."

i´d say the last point covers a bit my point of view
Date: August 03, 2008 08:46PM
Posted by: flat tyre
I think after watching this race, that I can safely say Piquet was only low on confidence for the whole early part of the season. I wouldn't be surprised either, seeing as he got a heck load of critisism from both the press and viewers. I remember thinking that people were judging him too soon, and that maybe he was just on a low point. Now all he needs to do is prove that he can be consistent at all races, as he's shown that he's got some speed.

One thing that confused me though... at Glock's first pit stop, he stayed for a long time (about 13 seconds, I think) and the prediction showed on screen was that he had fuel for 48 laps, when 50 remained. I assumed that he was fuelled to the end, but was going to conserve fuel. I was dead chuffed when I saw him right behind Massa nearer the end, thinking that he would be challenging for the win as he was fuelled to the end. But later on he came in for a second stop. Do you think he had a problem with the fuel rig aswell?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You know you want to. [judgegrudge.mybrute.com]
Date: August 03, 2008 08:50PM
He did have a long stop didn't he, but that was due to problems. So my guess is that the graphics fuel calculator didn't take that into account and as a result, thought that Glock had fuel for 48 laps, while he didn't.
Date: August 03, 2008 08:52PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
The fuel prediction is pretty poor. It doesn't take into account problems and joining/removing the fuel rig etc. And tbh, the timers for the pit stops are rubbish too. I've seen them start before the car is stopped and stop after the car has pulled away. I don't know how it works, but it isn't as accurate as it should be.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: August 03, 2008 08:53PM
Posted by: Rodrigo007
Wow today we saw a fine race for Hungaroring ^^

- In the end if we remember all the times Heikki got unlucky so finally some compensation! he did good: no errors, car in home etc and thats it! congratulations for him, and hope this came to give him a boost for the rest of the season! :)

- Glock did great, even with a pits problem managed to finish 2nd maybe this shows that Toyota is finally getting worth of all the budget they spend in the car , would be good if they get a better form for next year maybe getting able to fight the tops, who knows? :)

- Kimi / Hamilton believe these guys did the best in the worst position good for Kimi who got near the lead and overtook Massa in wdc standings, also nice to see Lewis' recover after puncture!

- Piquet showed some improvement again, I bet the team is a bit more confident on him now ,that sounds good for Nelson as then they can think better about renew his contract for next year, the possibilities of it for sure are increasing after these few last races :)

Anyways there's no way to pass without commenting on this..

I believe in general there's two kinds of winners: the ones with great natural talent, and the ones who need to work harder than the normal to get some space, in motorsports usually when u have a person with both characteristics then u have a Senna , Schumacher...
what makes me feel really sorry about Felipe is not that he lost this chance, but is that he works alot hard to keep in pair with guys like Kimi, Lewis... ppl that have an impressive natural talent that it's quite commotive to read some reports that he reached strongly crying at the boxes. Thinking about it a few then we understand this kind of presentation in the race today means something more for him, taking Kimi for example, we all know his capacity, we all know his talent, he can do that easier than the way Massa needs to go and thoerically more recurrent and in the end without needing to prove himself to noone, so that being said it's a bit dificult to imagine how much not simply frustrated but sad can Felipe be atm, again just can say i'm really sorry for him.
Anyways , in the end not a mathematical victory but a morale win, actually never seen so many ppl giving support and it's a good signal, he earned some respect and maybe that will help in the future mainly for the rest of the season. Btw, bit by bit with some moves here and there the guy is writting his name in f1 history.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2008 08:56PM by Rodrigo007.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy