Silverstone to Lose GP after 2009

Posted by casabonka 
Re: Silverstone to Lose GP after 2009
Date: July 10, 2008 07:14PM
Posted by: Bruninho
thats just a shame they could just put the bridge in another sector...

Date: July 10, 2008 08:30PM
Posted by: danm
give it to silverstone :P

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
Date: July 10, 2008 09:12PM
Posted by: matt3454
Hmm what will this mean for Download Festival...

Date: July 10, 2008 10:23PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
It'll be moved whilst its being built, then moved back. Download is an important event for Donington.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: July 11, 2008 12:58AM
Posted by: LS.
DaveEllis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It'll be moved whilst its being built, then moved
> back. Download is an important event for
> Donington.

And for the local Co-op judging by the amount of music fans i saw walking back up the hill towards the track, armed with cases of lager! :)

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat
Date: July 11, 2008 02:33AM
Posted by: sasjag
well download wasnt in the track was it, just teh surronding fields and car parks

Sim

All Hail The New York Giants - Winners of Superbowl XXI, XXV and XLII!

"I'd love to know what goes on in that crazy head of yours sometimes, Sim..." - Locke Cole
Date: July 11, 2008 03:11AM
Posted by: MattB
Yea, download was on the old circuit, where the market is held. Plans for the track sound good to me, given the way the infield is, could make it very interesting :)

Im not really arsed about the bridge tbh, I cant remember ever using it or even seeing it open.

Date: July 11, 2008 10:05AM
Posted by: Brianf666
Let me be Devil's advocate here. Donnington has not even applied for planning permission and that will not be done in a matter of months. It is almost certain to fail without crippling changes and the cost will rise beyond what is viable. Then the only option for Bernie is to go cap-in-hand to Damon and beg for Silverstone to take the Grand Prix back on much better terms.

Now, if I were Damon, after recent negotiations with Bernie, I'd be looking to find someone with a half decent circuit to tempt Bernie away with no actual possibility of holding such an event. This would bring it back to Silverstone and the guy with the circuit receives a small 'gift' from BRDC.

It's probably just as well that Damon's an honest bloke and I'm a scheming plotter.

Nico bites yer tyres!
Date: July 11, 2008 10:12AM
sasjag Wrote:
> well download wasnt in the track was it, just teh
> surronding fields and car parks

Has been in the infield more than once.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: July 11, 2008 11:00AM
Posted by: LS.
Brianf666 Wrote:
> Let me be Devil's advocate here. Donnington has
> not even applied for planning permission and that
> will not be done in a matter of months. It is
> almost certain to fail without crippling changes
> and the cost will rise beyond what is viable. Then
> the only option for Bernie is to go cap-in-hand to
> Damon and beg for Silverstone to take the Grand
> Prix back on much better terms.
>
> Now, if I were Damon, after recent negotiations
> with Bernie, I'd be looking to find someone with a
> half decent circuit to tempt Bernie away with no
> actual possibility of holding such an event. This
> would bring it back to Silverstone and the guy
> with the circuit receives a small 'gift' from
> BRDC.
>
> It's probably just as well that Damon's an honest
> bloke and I'm a scheming plotter.

Your presuming that Ecclestone will want to go back to Silverstone ;) With countrys clamouring to host a gp there are plenty more choices than Silverstone

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat
Date: July 11, 2008 11:02AM
None of them have the marketing that the UK provides in the shape of the BBC and Lewis Hamilton.

However Bernie will not crawl back to anyone. Silverstone will need to do the required updates if it wants F1 back. The longer it waits, the more it'll cost too.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: July 11, 2008 11:40AM
Posted by: marwood82
DaveEllis Wrote:

> However Bernie will not crawl back to anyone.
> Silverstone will need to do the required updates
> if it wants F1 back. The longer it waits, the more
> it'll cost too.

spot on ,i really don't see bernie getting down on his hands and knees.

at the end of the day, Bernie isn't stupid. This deal really is a stroke of genius.

he's already humilated the BRDC by anouncing the donington deal on the eve of their big day.

and he's got donington to agree to pay him a whopping amount of $ for the rights to the race, and build the facilities he wants.

Now from what i can see, this has a few possible endings.

1 donington is ready in time, the facilities are great, bernies got his way, everyones happy(well, everyone appart from the BRDC).

2 donington isn't ready in time. The BRDC then proceed to jump through hoops, crawl over broken glass etc and ultimately agree to anything bernie wants in order to get the race back.

3 donington isn't ready and he can't get what he wants from the BRDC , so he goes an talks to some rich oil sheikh who wants an GP in his back garden and is prepared to pay him a stupid amount of money to get it.

If you think about it, bernie cannot possibly loose out here.

The only thing i can see throwing a spanner in the works is if donington realise they aren't going to get everything done in time, and so they do a deal with silverstone themselves. (though i'd imagine bernies got a plan for that one too)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2008 11:41AM by marwood82.
Date: July 11, 2008 01:31PM
Posted by: sasjag
DaveEllis Wrote:
> sasjag Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > well download wasnt in the track was it, just
> teh
> > surronding fields and car parks
>
>
> Has been in the infield more than once.

i know that :P had to be moved this year though, because they built a motocross track on the infield (which i presume is now being destroyed!)

Sim

All Hail The New York Giants - Winners of Superbowl XXI, XXV and XLII!

"I'd love to know what goes on in that crazy head of yours sometimes, Sim..." - Locke Cole
Date: July 12, 2008 02:35PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
gav Wrote:
> If Tilke's rebuilding the place it's not a
> temporary measure. If it happens (as has been
> said, Brands fell through after signing, and we're
> not the most clinical of countries), then it'll
> happen for at least the duration of its contract.

not necessarily. i believe tilke worked on the upgrade of Fuji, but that's now sharing with Suzuka, so Silverstone could yet share with Donington after the required work is done

X (@ed24f1)
Date: July 14, 2008 01:00PM
Posted by: J i m
I think people tend to be a bit unfair on Tilke. What people do not seem to appreciate is that he has to work to a brief and to modern pc facilities and safety standards. It's not like some random billionaire hands him a blank piece of paper and says "here you are Mr Tilke build the new Nordschliffe!"

Even on the brand new tracks, built from scratch such as Bahrain, Turkey, Shanghai etc, they already knew what they wanted. Shanghai even insisted on the circuit layout being modeled on a Chinese character!

Tilke is actually a very good architect, heck he'd have to be! He's one of only 2 people the FIA trust to mould tracks to modern F1 standards. He's already proved that without restriction he can produce very good layouts.

People think he will ruin Donington, but these people aren't listening to what is being said are they? Simon Gillet has already noted that any changes from Redgate to McLeans would cause uproar, and so the actual circuit profile there is not going to be touched save for ripping up a bit of grass and inserting some new run-off surfaces.

The only big changes are going to be fairly insignificant to the circuit layout, a new pitlane and paddock will be built on the inside of Starkeys straight, where the "Dunlop" bridge is. The Esses "might" be removed to make for a longer straight, and lets face it, it's not exactly a classic bit of race track.

And a new half mile loop will leave and rejoin the current GP layout at Goddards, and this don't forget is likely to include a "Craner style" corner.

All in all, these modifications do not spell bad news, the character of the layout will remain in tact.

To me the real questions are budget, planning permission, and local road infrastructure. Obviously the local roads need some major improvement, but it seems that Donington have also secured rights to other land and are seriously considering park and ride etc.

And the real reason that Bernie has given the contract to Donington is that he believes that they will do what is asked of them, where as he knows Silverstone either can't or won't.

If Donington fails, then there will not be a British Grand Prix.
Date: July 14, 2008 06:11PM
Posted by: mikef1
"Tilke is actually a very good architect, heck he'd have to be! He's one of only 2 people the FIA trust to mould tracks to modern F1 standards. He's already proved that without restriction he can produce very good layouts."

Good layouts but with little or no character, i guess it's difficult to have both these days.
Date: July 14, 2008 10:05PM
Posted by: gav
Character and new tracks are difficult. There's no heritage to pull on, and it all just looks like a corporate event (which it is really).

Personally, I think all of Donington's character will be lost if they keep the same layout for half the lap, but widen it (come on, it's going to happen), making what was a fun, challenging section, piss simple.
Date: July 14, 2008 10:47PM
Posted by: J i m
According to Gillet, Donington is already as wide as most circuits, and will not be widened.

Yes, most of the new tracks are probably significantly wider, but others like Spa, Brazil etc, are not really any wider, and I do not see those tracks being widened for F1.
Date: July 14, 2008 11:20PM
Posted by: chet
Thats a good point about the local roads. I dont live too far away and have to say the roads around are nothing short of terrible. Then again, isnt that just England?

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: July 14, 2008 11:35PM
Posted by: danm
i personally like the work tilke has done to the current f1 tracks - and you have to look at his work as the architect, not so much as the actualy track layout designer himself.

as already said, a LOT of this is pre-determined, and tilke's job is to adapt mostly the rest of the circuit and facilities.

i would love it if he had work in a uk based centre, as i am a diploma student architect. i wonder if his german hq offers employment internships...hmmm!!

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy