Silverstone to Lose GP after 2009

Posted by casabonka 
Re: Silverstone to Lose GP after 2009
Date: July 04, 2008 02:24PM
Posted by: sasjag
Tilke visited teh track last week

Sim

All Hail The New York Giants - Winners of Superbowl XXI, XXV and XLII!

"I'd love to know what goes on in that crazy head of yours sometimes, Sim..." - Locke Cole
Date: July 04, 2008 02:26PM
Posted by: dolinseks
great...

Date: July 04, 2008 02:27PM
Posted by: marwood82
i think someone needs to break out the fail truck for doningtons website.

someone can't tell the difference between F1 and A1GP

[www.donington-park.co.uk]
Date: July 04, 2008 02:27PM
Posted by: Iceman-Kimi
donington is gonna update the track for 125 million euro's i read somewhere.

Date: July 04, 2008 02:32PM
Posted by: Bruninho
well... if only they could rebuild the awesome maggots/becketts complex @ donnington, then i wouldnt miss Silverstone at all. The final sector @ Silverstone was ruined with the bloody mickey mouse slow corners. Ah I miss how it was after the "Daily Express" bridge in the 80's.

Date: July 04, 2008 02:34PM
Posted by: marcl
Will silverstone now become flats and houses thats the worrying thing. I always remember donnington for the 1 off race in 1993 and thats how I want it to stay really.

The track will be changed and I think ruined but not seen the plans so should shut up really.
Date: July 04, 2008 02:37PM
Posted by: toyo_161
100% agree with marwood82
Date: July 04, 2008 02:38PM
Posted by: toyo_161
To update the circuit they have to thrOw it down first;)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2008 02:39PM by toyo_161.
Date: July 04, 2008 02:46PM
Posted by: gav
I never really liked Donington as a track anyway (Craners to McLeans is an excellent section though), but it's only going to get worse I feel. At least it's got some elevation for him to play with.

Regarding the infrastructure, I'll quote a post I've just made on the VT forums:

It's not even near to coping with the Renault World Series, let alone F1. Even for the smaller races the M1 (I think it's the M1, isn't it?) is completely clogged up on race day, so not only hurting the race fans, but everyone else too, including people using the airport.

For last years race we were going to meet up with Glyn, Sim, Rich and Andy (and anyone else I've forgotten), and when we got to the junction to turn off the M1 was at a standstill and the junction itself was stopped completely. Glyn was just about 500-700m away from us further around the junction (we were going to walk up and say 'boo', but Dave Liddle couldn't be arsed) and by the time we'd got to where he was, 2 or 3 hrs had passed...

Coming back from London this year the M1 was very slow (stopping every 50m or so) and that was just after the Friday practice for the MotoGP!

I realise that RWS is a popular event due to the free tickets, but MotoGP doesn't attract anywhere near the same number here, and on Friday itself it's only really the die-hards and the foreign invaders who are there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2008 02:48PM by gav.
Date: July 04, 2008 02:48PM
the more i think about it the more struggling to see how they're going to do it.

I know they've just done a load of work to the pit and paddock area but i still doubt its big enough.

and with imporving the track and track side facilities, i don't see how theres enough room.

theres the airport to one side, melborne village on the other and the river trent and the woods above it.
the land along the bottom of the circuit is currently the car parks.(and below that anything but flat)

there clearly is a plan, there must be else they wouldn't have got the deal. i'm very intrigued to find out what it is.
Date: July 04, 2008 02:54PM
Posted by: gav
marwood82 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> the more i think about it the more struggling to
> see how they're going to do it.
>
> I know they've just done a load of work to the pit
> and paddock area but i still doubt its big
> enough.

Well all the LMS teams manage to fit in somehow, but only the big ones by the look of it. We walked down the pitlane a couple of year back when they were there. It does need extending, and the paddock area is nowhere near big enough for anything more than a one-off race or 2.

marwood82 Wrote:
> and with imporving the track and track side
> facilities, i don't see how theres enough room.
>
> theres the airport to one side, melborne village
> on the other and the river trent and the woods
> above it.
> the land along the bottom of the circuit is
> currently the car parks.(and below that anything
> but flat)

There's a hell of a lot of camping facilities they could do away with to make space, but how well the rest of the area can cope with them I've no idea. There is enough space, but the locals will have to get together to come up with something - which they undoubtedly will, as it'll be a massive boom to their economy.
Date: July 04, 2008 03:09PM
gav Wrote:

> There's a hell of a lot of camping facilities they
> could do away with to make space, but how well the
> rest of the area can cope with them I've no idea.
> There is enough space, but the locals will have to
> get together to come up with something - which
> they undoubtedly will, as it'll be a massive boom
> to their economy.

thats a fair point. i imagine the donington collection and the exibition center will probably end up getting moved too.

i wonder if anyones told the residents of castle donington or melbourne about this yet. any bets on when the first traffic/noise pollution complaints ala brands hatch are going to start :-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2008 03:27PM by marwood82.
Date: July 04, 2008 04:29PM
Posted by: harjinator
awesome., just around the corner from me, and i've been hoping for silverstone to get axed for years (purely for it's dullness factor)! a double whammy of good news!

Team Japan Owner - GPGNC
Date: July 04, 2008 05:09PM
Posted by: mikef1
gav Wrote:
> I never really liked Donington as a track anyway
> (Craners to McLeans is an excellent section
> though), but it's only going to get worse I feel.
> At least it's got some elevation for him to play
> with.
>

Yep i agree, not a big fan of the old track other than the esses and not expecting much from the new one seeing as Tilke is going to abuse it too.
Date: July 04, 2008 05:34PM
Posted by: Ferrari_Fuhrer
I quite like Silverstone. I quite like Donington too, and it is a little closer to me and certainly easier to get to, but I just can't see Formula 1 fitting there. It'll be great if it works, but I'm just not seeing it at the moment.

[Website]
Date: July 04, 2008 06:32PM
Posted by: matt3454
For me I like the first half of the track but I wouldn't mind them changing it after that big dunlop thing over the track towards the two hairpins.

Surprised it got chose for a track though.

Hope it doesn't effect Download Festival though lol

Date: July 04, 2008 07:04PM
Posted by: Red Sam
>btw, anyone think this is just political pressure on the government and >Silverstone ? Bernie estimated the cost to improve Silverstone for LIFE is >abouit 0.002% of the cost it is for the Olympics for ONE year.

>Its f*cking stupid. I call RedSam for Prime Minister !!!!!!

Well, RedSam doesn't support Government funding going into supporting a race track, which will bring no significant benefit to the wider community...

Donington will be great IF they can get the track big enough and the facilities up to scratch. 2010 is not far away!

Don't forget, 8 or 9 years ago it was announced that Brands was getting the GP, only for the contract to eventually be sold back to Silverstone when they couldnt get planning permission etc...

RedSam
Winner: Not the Nickv Comment of the Year 2009

Due to the voting system in Germany, Governments are always made up of coalitions of different parties. At the last election, an almost unprecidented result saw the CDU/CSU (rough equivilant of the Conservatives) go into Government with the SPD (rough equivilant of Labour)
Date: July 04, 2008 07:06PM
Posted by: LS.
well on the 26th of this month theres truck racing at Donington so they'll have to resurface after anyway ;)

They'll need to widen the access road from the track past the airport for sure, i live ten mins away from the track and its a f**king nightmare when ever theres a major event.

Hopefully herman tilke won't have anything to do with the circuit changes

** edit after reading sim's post about tilke already having been up to the track **

Great!! he'll probably put a fecking hairpin in halfway through the craners curves!

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2008 07:18PM by LS..
Date: July 04, 2008 07:44PM
LS. Wrote:
> well on the 26th of this month theres truck racing
> at Donington so they'll have to resurface after
> anyway ;)
>
> They'll need to widen the access road from the
> track past the airport for sure, i live ten mins
> away from the track and its a f**king nightmare
> when ever theres a major event.
>
> Hopefully herman tilke won't have anything to do
> with the circuit changes
>
>
> ** edit after reading sim's post about tilke
> already having been up to the track **
>
>
> Great!! he'll probably put a fecking hairpin in
> halfway through the craners curves!

you'd hope they'd leave the first half of the lap alone(well, at least the craner curves and the old hairpin) as those corners pretty much define the track.

How 'too short' is it? Maybe they could just get away with extending the melbourne loop to where it used to be in the 30's? (ie the 2 straights were longer) having the straight after the chicane lengthend would also increase passing opportunities into the melbourne hairpin and goddards.

to be honest though its the posibilty of losing things like this that worry me most,

currently one of the best spots on the circuit for spectators is on the hill on the outside of the old hairpin. And you can sit there with the cheapest general entry ticket.
However thats now clearly a premier viewing location thus they're almost certian to stick a whopping great grandstand on the hill instead and charge a premium to sit in it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2008 07:44PM by marwood82.
Date: July 04, 2008 08:38PM
Posted by: chet
Since when were speed cameras good for the community ? ;)

"which will bring no significant benefit to the wider community... "

Would you not agree the Olympic games is a huge waste of money for us ?? Do you know if the gov supports some football stadiums being built?

eeeek if Tilkes been there thats not good news !!!

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy