Re: Silverstone to Lose GP after 2009
Date: July 04, 2008 11:08PM
Posted by: Daniel Knott
Well that's donnington to be ruined then :';(

H E L L O
Date: July 05, 2008 01:32AM
Posted by: MattB
Id like to see the run up to mcleans to be exteneded, maybe an alteration to the corner, then move coppice further back too, then you could have a half decent sized straight between mcleans and coppice then a huge run down to the esses. Extending the melbourne loop area is a good option too.

Id hate to see Redgate/Hollywood/Craners/Old Hairpin changed though, widened would be ok, but to change the profile would be baaad.

Still awesome though, Ill be able to hear them from my house, sod going to the race ;)

Date: July 05, 2008 01:15PM
Posted by: Willb
Argh I wish Bernie would just go an crawl back under the log he came from, Silverstone is the home of British motor sport, not Donnington.

F1 would be a much better sport if Bernie retired. the next president actually might be happy with what we have instead of winging all the bl**dy time.

Help keep our forums tidy.

Use the search function...
Date: July 05, 2008 01:32PM
Posted by: sasjag
you do realise bernie is effectivly an employee for CVC, who own (a significant portion of) the commercial rights and so would likley want to maximise their investment

this could be a blessing in disguise for silverstone. the GP loses them money each yeah, so maybe a few years off will allow them to regroup, refocus and finally get the upgrades done

Sim

All Hail The New York Giants - Winners of Superbowl XXI, XXV and XLII!

"I'd love to know what goes on in that crazy head of yours sometimes, Sim..." - Locke Cole
Date: July 05, 2008 03:14PM
Posted by: MarcLister
sasjag Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> this could be a blessing in disguise for
> silverstone. the GP loses them money each yeah, so
> maybe a few years off will allow them to regroup,
> refocus and finally get the upgrades done

And get the GP back early? Would be nice. :) Unlikely though I reckon. :(
Date: July 05, 2008 04:05PM
Posted by: y2cwr2005
I can definitely see Donington being a sort of Temp circuit, whilst plans for Silverstone are put in place, or maybe even Ecclestone attempts to get the London Street Circuit idea he had a while back put in place.

Although I'm probably wrong as Donington owners are "promising" a £100m revamp of the circuit.

Date: July 05, 2008 04:19PM
Posted by: gav
If Tilke's rebuilding the place it's not a temporary measure. If it happens (as has been said, Brands fell through after signing, and we're not the most clinical of countries), then it'll happen for at least the duration of its contract.
Date: July 05, 2008 05:11PM
oh i dont mean they'll take it back early, will just give silverstone a chance to prepare to bid for the next contract

win-win for bernie, two world class circuits going head to head for teh GP = $$$$$

Sim

"I'd love to know what goes on in that crazy head of yours sometimes, Sim..." - Locke Cole
Date: July 05, 2008 08:30PM
Posted by: LS.
from our local paper

THE British Grand Prix will find a world-class home at Donington Park which can match the best new tracks across the globe, according to the owner of the circuit.
Formula One supremo Bernie Ecclestone yesterday shocked the racing world by announcing the event would leave Silverstone in 2010 after 23 years and move to the home of British MotoGP.

But Simon Gillett – who along with Lee Gill owns Donington Ventures Leisure, the company behind the deal to bring Formula One to the track – insists the surprise decision will prove to be a wise one.

When asked whether Donington, which will receive a £100m facelift as part of the agreement with F1, will be an improvement on much-maligned Silverstone, Mr Gillett said: “If you believe that Bahrain or Istanbul are better, then that is the standard we are aiming for.
“We are building a world-class Formula One facility. We are aiming to match the level of facilities elsewhere in the world. We must.

“We want to give the British fans something of which to be proud, something the rest of the world will see as the equal of what they have in places like Turkey and Malaysia.”
Mr Gillett denied that the announcement of the 10-year agreement at the start of race weekend at Silverstone was no more than a shock tactic to force the hand of the Northamptonshire track's owners.

The British Racing Drivers' Club have long been locked in negotiations with Ecclestone over the future of the grand prix.
Despite having to pay a reported £300m to F1 over the course of the decade-long deal, he is adamant there is money to be made from the venture.

“It would be silly of me to say it is cheap to run a grand prix, but is it commercially viable? Yes,” Mr Gillett said.
“We have had long discussion with Bernie. We would not have gone in for this if we could not make money.”
One of the men involved in months of discussions that culminated in yesterday's announcement says Ecclestone is confident the £100m development will provide race fans with some of the best spectator viewing in the world.
As many as 250,000 fans – the attendance at Silverstone – could attend a Grand Prix weekend

The circuit plans include:

A 200mph start and finish straight, which will extend from the current Coppice Corner to the Melbourne Hairpin.
New state-of-the-art paddock and pits
Demolition of the current exhibition centre.
A completely new track section, which will peel off from the current Goddard's Corner.
A natural “bowl” where 20,000-30,000 spectators can overlook the new section of circuit.

Although the plans have yet to be unveiled, the new circuit layout will be radically different to the current one.
However, the development will be contained within the current perimeter wall, except for a small section near to Coppice Corner, where additional space is required for a new run-off area.

The sweeping downhill section of Craner Curves, the Old Hairpin, McLeans and towards Coppice Corner will be retained in order not to destroy the unique character of the track, which hosted the 1993 European Grand Prix, won in spectacular style by Ayrton Senna.
Donington circuit management consultant Robert Fearnall said: “Mr Ecclestone has seen the plans and has said he thinks that it will provide the best viewing for spectators of any circuit in the world.

“However, while the new part of the circuit is the key to the development, we have been very careful that the character of Donington Park will not be changed.
“The top circuit designer in the world, Herman Tilke, has been heavily involved and the whole project will mean a massive transformation of the circuit.”

Tilke has been involved in the design of a number of new circuits on the Grand Prix calendar, including Malaysia, Bahrain, Shanghai and Istanbul.
Mr Fearnall said: “We have been working on this project for the last 10 months. We had to decide whether it was goer or not and Mr Ecclestone needed to know if we could fulfil the commitment. He would not have gone into an agreement of this nature without the confidence that we could fulfil it.”

Mr Fearnall added that plans had been put in motion when Donington Ventures took over the lease of the circuit from owner Tom Wheatcroft, who himself reopened the venue for motor sport in 1977.
“The problem previously was that the land was divided up between a lot of different tenants. It was only after the takeover that we had the freedom. We now have about 800 acres – as much space as Silverstone – which has allowed us to move forward with the scheme.”
Derby motorsport writer Peter Scherer believes keeping the character of the circuit will be vital.

He said: “Silverstone has become a soulless place and I hope that the changes at Donington will not lose its parkland character.”
Ron Haslam, whose motorcycle race school is based at Donington, said: “The Donington development is massive for the sport and the area.”

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat
Date: July 05, 2008 11:03PM
actually sounds very promising, especially the part that the designs are already done etc

Sim

Date: July 06, 2008 02:26AM
Posted by: Racer#73
Donington is a fine and a mythical circuit. Its layout is unique. My problem with F1 going there is that the layout will be ruined. Like it happened in many other tracks which were ruined due to the F1 standards like Hockenheim, Spa (the Bus Stop), Barcelona (the last two corners), Estoril (the first two corners).

In conclusion, if they don't make any changes in the layout and just stick to the safety issues regarding run off areas, it will be a great venue.

Cheers
Date: July 06, 2008 09:43AM
Posted by: gav
Racer#73 Wrote:
> In conclusion, if they don't make any changes in
> the layout and just stick to the safety issues
> regarding run off areas, it will be a great
> venue.

Not for F1 cars it won't be. There would be zero overtaking. It would be a decent spectacle if all you like is seeing F1 cars going around corners, and nice for a test, but there'd be little 'action' as such.

We go to Donny each year, and other than the pub and the previously free camping (very not free this year), I'm not a fan of it at all. There's no genuinely great place you can stand to see a lot of the track - Old Hairpin's the best place overall, but you can't see any other key corners from it. Tilke will sort that out for starters - the one thing he's very good at is making an excellent facility for the spectators.

He made a cracking job out of Istanbul (in comparison to most brand new tracks), so hopefully he can do justice to Donington Park with similar altitude changes to play with.

We shouldn't get overly hooked up on keeping the same layout though - the clue is in 'Old Hairpin'. Donington's had many layouts over the years, and even got a relatively undocumented one from before the 30's that used up pretty much none of the following track. It's not a place steeped in history. It's just a club track that's been around a while. So long as the Collection and the Craner Curve section remains, I'll not be overly disappointed.
Date: July 06, 2008 10:55AM
Posted by: DaveEllis
tbh Doningtons not had many changes at all. Since the late 1930s the only major change was adding the loop. And the layout changes that happened throughout the 30s used the majority of the modern circuit. All that happened was the corners got a bit more rounded.

"Just a club track" describes Silverstone, Brands, Donny, Croft too. It just so happens that one of the club tracks hosts a Grand Prix.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: July 06, 2008 01:11PM
Posted by: gin
edit: awww wrong thread

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/2008 01:12PM by gin.
Date: July 06, 2008 01:59PM
Posted by: Ianwoollam
I don't think the layout will be ruined tbh, what they'll probably do is just have the circuit peel off somewhere, loop back, and come back at around the same point just to lengthen it. The original layout will probably be left there for things like BTCC and what not.

PSN/Xbox 360 ID - Ianwoollam
Date: July 06, 2008 02:34PM
Posted by: bestobritish
Well on ITV a guy from Donnington said that from the first turn up to mcleans wont be touche. Instead there will be an infield loop after mcleans which will be similar to the craner curves.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: July 06, 2008 04:37PM
Posted by: turkey_machine
There's an enormous stretch of wide open space in that infield, so half a mile of track could easily be created, I just hope it's varied enough to be separate and keep the run from McLeans to Goddards with the Melbourne Loop. Good to know he won't even THINK about touching Redgate to McLeans, though more run-off at Redgate and McLeans would I'm sure be welcome. :)

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10; indeed, it's a common requirement in fairy tales. If the human didn't have to overcome huge odds, what would be the point? Terry Pratchett - The Science Of Discworld

GPGSL S5 Race driver for IED.

Date: July 06, 2008 04:41PM
Posted by: Monza972
bestobritish Wrote:
> Well on ITV a guy from Donnington said that from
> the first turn up to mcleans wont be touche.
> Instead there will be an infield loop after
> mcleans which will be similar to the craner
> curves.

That was Simon Gillet the circuit owner (correct me if i'm wrong - about the owner bit i mean)

gav Wrote:
So long as the Collection and the Craner
> Curve section remains, I'll not be overly
> disappointed.

They're going to be keeping the Craner curve and add another section which is the same as that somewhere around the track
Date: July 10, 2008 12:02PM
Posted by: marwood82
listening to a spokesman for donington (though he did seem to get a bit mixed up between coppice and mcleans) it sounds like there is going to be a 200mph straight running from coppice to the melbourne hairpin.(so effectivly just removing the esses which is ironically rather similar to the 1930's layout)

then out of the melbourne hairpin, rather than turing left at goddards, it will then go on what is described as a 'sweeping loop through the infield', before rejoining the old circuit at goddards.
(which given the topography of the infield could be pretty cool)

Mentioned something about the new pit/paddock complex at coppice, so maybe they plan to move the start/finish line?

initally at least, it sounds nowhere near as bad as it could have been. just have to wait until they announce the final design.

[news.bbc.co.uk]
Date: July 10, 2008 06:53PM
Posted by: LS.
from our local paper

It has been an icon of British motorsport for more than 30 years.

And for many fans of Donington Park, its demolition will mark the end of an era.

The Dunlop Bridge is set to be removed as part of the circuit's £100m improvements to bring it up to F1 standards.

It follows the news that Donington is set to host the British Grand Prix for a decade from 2010.

Bosses have confirmed there are no plans to take the bridge to another part of the track.

Circuit events manager Robert Fearnall said it does not fit in with the newly designed 200mph straight.

The track will travel through the current exhibition centre site, leaving the foot of the bridge in its way.

"The Dunlop Bridge will be no more," said Mr Fearnall.

"Once Coppice corner is realigned, it would be in the middle of the track.

"It does not fit in with the structure. It is not part of the plan."

The bridge, which has been a feature of the 2.5-mile track since it reopened in May 1977, takes people from the outside of the circuit to the inner section.

Dunlop spokesman James Bailey said despite the bridge being pulled down the company will "always be looking to be involved with Donington".

Motorsport fan John Frakes, 59, from Long Eaton, a member of Derby Phoenix Motor Cycle Club, said: "I will be sad to see it go.

"In a lot of ways it is the end of an era.

"It is a landmark for the area. It is a feature of the circuit."

Former British Superbike champion John Reynolds, from Kimberley, who raced under the bridge throughout his long career, said: "Everyone knows the Dunlop Bridge. It has been there for ever.

"Things have to be moved and change is sometimes sad.

"But if it is going to move Donington forward, I am right behind that."

Prof John Heeley, chief executive of Experience Notts, said a heritage plaque, which pays tribute to cherished buildings that have been demolished, will be considered for the site.

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2008 06:56PM by LS..
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy