British GP Thread ***SPOILERS***

Posted by SchueyFan 
Re: British GP Thread ***SPOILERS***
Date: July 07, 2008 12:01PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
Lapped the whole field twice. But to be fair, everyone worth running retired. 2nd was Panis, in a broken Ligier which was trailing smoke for 10 laps, and 3rd was Morbidelli, in a Footwork.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: July 07, 2008 12:03PM
Posted by: gav
marcl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> All I meant was I could not remember the last time
> it happened, i know its happened in the last.
> Remember Australia 1995 DH lapped the whole field
> I think.

Well, yeah, but the 2nd placed man (Panis) finished with only half a bank of cylinders or something. :D (//edit: bah Dellis beat me. :D)

Perhaps the most comparable race is Barcelona '96, when Schumacher demolished the field. I don't think that Hamilton's race was anything close to Schumacher's, more his rivals making a pigs ear of things, but it was still very good.

He needed that result after 3 very, very poor races.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2008 12:03PM by gav.
Date: July 07, 2008 12:52PM
Posted by: marcl
The difference now days is the car setup. Not taking anything away from MS btw but if u remember back then he used to always have the spare car, and the spare would be set up for rain. He would use the spare for the race with the correct set up.
Date: July 07, 2008 01:32PM
Posted by: iCeMaN pAuL
I'M BACK!! ;)

and OMG what a weekend!!! we stood down at club, bloody good view, and the sound of those cars, OMG!!

just OMG a thousand and one times over

i expect I shall post pics at some point!!

W.O.W :d:d:

already getting money to book for next year lol!! :D

[en-gb.facebook.com]
Date: July 07, 2008 02:40PM
Posted by: Sauber89
I'm also back, and in a slightly less dramatic fashion than paul:P

Amazing weekend, alonso stoped in front of us on friday, then we saw massa crash and i've got a cracking photo of him and alonso, with kovy on pole, a british winner and a wet race the weekend was simply awesome. Well done to lewis the atmosphere his win created was amazing.

Date: July 07, 2008 03:41PM
Posted by: jbnd05
My first GP and I couldn't have wished for more. Everytime Lewis went round the crowd gave a cheer, and it was quite funny as everyone laughed at Massa in unison. The race was so exciting. I don't think Donington will be able to deliver more in terms of a) infrastructure or b) racing.

Date: July 07, 2008 03:58PM
marcl Wrote:
> The difference now days is the car setup. Not
> taking anything away from MS btw but if u remember
> back then he used to always have the spare car,
> and the spare would be set up for rain. He would
> use the spare for the race with the correct set
> up.

Erm, it was pissing down all day. They should all have been set up for the rain. There were no limitations like we have now.
Date: July 07, 2008 04:04PM
Posted by: Iceman-Kimi
Sauber89 schreef:
> I'm also back, and in a slightly less dramatic
> fashion than paul:P
>
> Amazing weekend, alonso stoped in front of us on
> friday, then we saw massa crash and i've got a
> cracking photo of him and alonso, with kovy on
> pole, a british winner and a wet race the weekend
> was simply awesome. Well done to lewis the
> atmosphere his win created was amazing.

:\ you like a wet race when visiting the gp live? ;) insane :P i hope it will be dry at spa when im going there...

Date: July 07, 2008 04:17PM
Posted by: jbnd05
Iceman-Kimi Wrote:
> Sauber89 schreef:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I'm also back, and in a slightly less dramatic
> > fashion than paul:P
> >
> > Amazing weekend, alonso stoped in front of us
> on
> > friday, then we saw massa crash and i've got a
> > cracking photo of him and alonso, with kovy on
> > pole, a british winner and a wet race the
> weekend
> > was simply awesome. Well done to lewis the
> > atmosphere his win created was amazing.
>
>
> :\ you like a wet race when visiting the gp live?
> ;) insane :P i hope it will be dry at spa when im
> going there...

You get soaked through but frankly we couldn't care less when we were watching the racing.

Date: July 07, 2008 05:09PM
Posted by: count.bazley
Great race and fantastic drives by the Top 3. I'm not a big fan of Hamilton but there's no denying he put in a measured performance on Sunday, although he did almost take Kovalainen off at Copse on the first lap he just got away with it.

Also, did anyone else notice how James Allen kept referring back to Rubens Barrichello's magnificent win in the rain back in 2003? I'm pretty sure it was bone dry all weekend wasn't it? I remember 2002 being a bit wet but Schumacher won that.
Date: July 07, 2008 05:46PM
Posted by: Advong
2003 was the year barrichello won, it was the race where that priest ran onto the track. I don't remember if it was wet or not
Date: July 07, 2008 05:46PM
Posted by: y2cwr2005
Didn't see this happen yesterday but Raikkonnen pushed over a photographer who stood on his stuff ;)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2008 05:46PM by y2cwr2005.
Date: July 07, 2008 05:49PM
Posted by: y2cwr2005
And yeah, James Allen can't get much right, 2003 GP was cloudy but it didnt rain a single drop.

Date: July 07, 2008 06:17PM
I seem to remember it being very slightly damp, and very low grip, so that's possibly where he was coming from. Fantastic race, and Rubens once more showing that when Schumacher was out of the equation, he could lift Ferrari and give them results and something to cheer for.

To give James Allen his dues, he does know his stuff. Can't stand anything else about him, but he's a knowledgeable bloke. I'd much prefer to have a conversation with him or read one of his books than listen to him commentate. He's been around the motor-racing pit-lane a hell of a lot more than most of us, and with a more varied selection of series than most of us watch too. Make no doubt about it - he is a true racing fan. Shame he's a prick behind the mic really.
Date: July 07, 2008 06:30PM
Posted by: count.bazley
Hmm, Gav made me doubt myself here so I thought I'd watch the season review to check. Cloudy but very very dry; absolutely awesome win by Barrichello though and easy to forget da Matta in the Toyota led nearly a third of the race!
Date: July 07, 2008 06:48PM
Fair enough. I am fairly sure it was cold and with low grip though. I'd have a look, but can't be bothered to set the video up. :P
Date: July 07, 2008 06:50PM
Posted by: chet
Wow, forgot that!
Was a good race. I remember it was Rubens I think behind the BAR's of JB and JV, and JB just looked to let him past, then when he got to JV he had a slightly harder time :D! Though I think it was shumacher come to think of it...

A great race that was, Rubens was stunning that day, and yesterday. One thing I noticed about him yesterday was again how his experience allowed to him to overcome Jense.

Though Jense at the start was alot quicker than him, and got past, as soon as it started to rain more ( which was expected I think ) Rubens came straight back because he looked after his tyres and had a quicker car for the most important bit of the race, just before all the stops were due.

It may only be a little thing, but that little thing gave him 3rd, and if JB stayed in, probably a 4th/5th maybe ;-)

Gav, your right about Allen, I just done understand why he plays the role he does commentating, ie looking like a willy. It might be the way ITV like it, with Brundle the expert but it would add more if Allen could actually express more of his knowledge instead of doing, "So the drivers talk about graining, can you Martin explain that?" When he knows perfectly what it is etc.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: July 07, 2008 06:54PM
Posted by: Fincent
Awesome weekend :D just got back from staying over at a friend's house in Milton Keynes.

Friday was lovely weather, first time I'd ever seen or heard any sort of racing car going near full belt...totally awesome stuff :) . Got absolutely sunburnt though and even now I'm covered in peeling skin and blisters lol. The GP2s were surprisingly loud, if not as loud as the F1 cars and the FBMWs could certainly make a noise too. The weather on race day was awful but made for an excellent race :) was sat opposite the pit entry/podium/startline area and with giant TV screens I could see everything that was going on. The noise when Lewis came out after his 1st stop and also when he won was just incredible!

Be expecting many videos and pictures soon :P

Circuit Thermalito

Liverpool Waterfront Circuit (WIP)
Date: July 07, 2008 10:16PM
Posted by: iCeMaN pAuL
Date: July 07, 2008 10:39PM
Posted by: Sapo
Awesome pictures Paul, very clean.

Does that safetycar sounds irl as monstrous an raw as it does on television?

Some say... he's even smaller than 20kb.
And some say... he's so offensive he could get you into trouble...
The only thing we know is that he's called...

THE SIG

Felipe Massa, World Champion 15:34:11pm- 15:34:21pm.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy