Monaco GP Thread **SPOILERS**

Posted by marcl 
Re: Monaco GP Thread **SPOILERS**
Date: May 24, 2007 10:14PM
Posted by: calimbo
I've just found this piece of the press conference:

A guy asked team principals about their thoughts on Lewis Hamilton, and this is what Ron Dennis said:

"We are very aware of the frustrations that the media has because we try desperately to have a position which is supportive of their objectives but not to the detriment of keeping Lewis focused on getting the best results out of the car. I would say that there are a few things that are negative. I’m amused at how some magazines have tried to position the team as having conflict in it. There is absolutely nothing further from the truth, and if you can see the body language, how they compete playing video games, all of these things, you would realise that yes, they are competitive and they want to win, but not to the detriment of the relationship that they have with each other, or the relationship within the team. The other thing which I find – let’s say – slightly annoying is that there seems to be a rash of so-called experts, some people who have never really run a competitive Grand Prix team, who suddenly profess to be so knowledgeable about what is and isn’t right for Lewis, what is and isn’t his character strengths and his weaknesses. I think they should just be quiet, concentrate on their own business, which I’m sure would be better for them. I don’t want to be too aggressive to those people but they know who they are. They’re failures in many of the things they’ve done and this is a success story and their opinions are obviously sought by those members of the media that suffer or struggle with our own position, but my job, as team principal, is to be supportive of the drivers and try and moderate what is a high demand from the media, and we’re doing our best, but we will never do anything to the detriment of the principal objective which is to try and win races and put Lewis in the best possible position, and Fernando, to do that."

My question is who are those people Dennis talk about? ITV?

Sorry for the lenght of the answer, but u know how's Ron
Date: May 24, 2007 10:43PM
Posted by: Karan
Hopefully that makes it into the next Lost in Translation column in F1 Racing. Ronspeak at its best and should make for some very witty one-liner summaries ;)

Date: May 24, 2007 11:13PM
Posted by: mikef1
He's obviously refering to the British media, not ITV.
Date: May 25, 2007 12:31AM
Posted by: Muks_C
basically all the ex-drivers who have commented on Lewis. see this thread for some examples: [www.grandprixgames.org]

@ Red Sam, about Brundle asking which way the track goes, i think it's turned into a bit of an urban myth. he (or someone) may have done that once, but Brundle has used that example so many times for so many different drivers for so many different crashes, that it's unlikely to have been true for all of them, and who knows the real origin of it. he said that he asked which way to turn out of the pit garage when he got into the spare Jordan at Melbourne '96 after his massive turn-3 crash.

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
Date: May 25, 2007 12:33AM
Posted by: FRESCO
I think I remember Brundle saying that was true of him (at monaco) saying it in his book, Working the Wheel.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2007 12:33AM by FRESCO.
Date: May 25, 2007 12:38AM
ah well, you must be right as i haven't read it, but during his years as a commentator, he's said a number of driver have asked that after a crash.

Date: May 25, 2007 03:00AM
Posted by: turkey_machine
I have said book at hand, and can quote it word for word.

*Ahem*

(In Brundle's Book, the caption underneath the picture Red Sam posted reads: "On my ear! Tabac Corner, Monaco 1984. Moments later I was strapped into the spare car and ready to go until I asked: 'Which circuit am I at?'";)

[Brundle describes his accident and the enormous forces involved, and how people cheered 'cause they thought he was dead. He's made it back to the pits.]

Ken Tyrrell plugged his radio headset into my car and told me there were 8 minutes remaining.

I said: "No problem. Which circuit am I at? Which way do I turn when I get out of the pits?" I can clearly remember wondering if I went left or right when I reached the end of the pitlane. At which point, Ken reached into the cockpit and switched off the engine. I was sent back to the hotel. There was no thought in those days of a check-up in the medical centre.

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10; indeed, it's a common requirement in fairy tales. If the human didn't have to overcome huge odds, what would be the point? Terry Pratchett - The Science Of Discworld

GPGSL S5 Race driver for IED.

Date: May 25, 2007 11:12AM
Posted by: IL Dottore
Anyone recording the Race ??

Cos I am forced to miss the greatest race of the year :(..

Magic Senna
Date: May 25, 2007 11:31AM
Thanks Turkey :)

Date: May 25, 2007 12:02PM
Button used his normal red white ands blue helmet.

pics of Lewis and Ralf's crashes:

can't tell exactly where Ralf crashed, might be somewhere in the Nouvelle Chicane area.

Date: May 25, 2007 12:34PM
Good pics there Muks and great view of the underneath of the Mclaren, i wonder if those circles in the plank are ballast.
Date: May 25, 2007 12:50PM
they might be titanium skid blocks or something Martin is always on about.

Date: May 25, 2007 01:20PM
Posted by: harjinator
think it's amazing that in the highly technological world of f1 with all of it's composites, the teams are forced to use an old bit of 2 by 4 on the bottom, lol

Team Japan Owner - GPGNC
Date: May 25, 2007 02:00PM
Posted by: Imran
the toyota has two planks....

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: May 25, 2007 02:07PM
Date: May 25, 2007 02:46PM
harjinator Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> think it's amazing that in the highly
> technological world of f1 with all of it's
> composites, the teams are forced to use an old bit
> of 2 by 4 on the bottom, lol

exactly what i was thinking when i saw the pic, i almost typed it as i posted the pic :)

but of course it's not really wood, far from it. it's a mix of different materials that make it light yet very strong. it just has a wood-effect because of it rubbing the ground. wood would swell and warp when it absorbed water, which this doesn't suffer from.

Date: May 25, 2007 02:59PM
Posted by: Brianf666
Imran Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> the toyota has two planks....

I think we're supposed to be talking about under the cars not in them.:=))

Nico bites yer tyres!
Date: May 25, 2007 03:42PM
Posted by: **Taylor**
"I don’t want to be too aggressive to those people but they know who they are."

Eddie Jordan too - It wasn't exactly a secret that these two didn't get on at the best of times. He's been making comments about Lewis & McLaren too...

Total personality clash...! :)

Date: May 25, 2007 04:09PM
Posted by: **Taylor**
Can anyone tell me how I would go about getting Speed TV please....?

Do you have to watch it online in the UK...?

Date: May 25, 2007 04:37PM
Posted by: turkey_machine
We have ITV in the UK, and it's free-to-view. If you're in America, SpeedTV is the only way to go AFAIK, and it's probably cable if not terrestrial.

EDIT: Why the **** isn't this stickied yet?

And can somebody PLEASE record it (Qualy and the race, ITV broadcast) on their computer in case my DVD recorder completely screws up?! I'll be eternally grateful if the DVD recorder fails. :)

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10; indeed, it's a common requirement in fairy tales. If the human didn't have to overcome huge odds, what would be the point? Terry Pratchett - The Science Of Discworld

GPGSL S5 Race driver for IED.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2007 04:38PM by turkey_machine.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy