Gold Coast to rival Melbourne for Australian GP

Posted by SAMF1 
Melbourne is boring, never exciting races.

My Grand Prix 4 Files

I'm a total dick. How many people can say that?
Re: Gold Coast to rival Melbourne for Australian GP
Date: April 09, 2007 05:21PM
Posted by: mikef1
Although it's in a park.

"and isn't Spa partly public roads too?"

Yes.
Date: April 09, 2007 05:42PM
Posted by: gav
Muks_C Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> and isn't Spa partly public roads too?

Some (but not all) was until 1999 or something. You could come in at Eau Rouge (until 1939 there used to be a hairpin loop (l’Ancienne Douanne) from Eau Rouge and then back again to Raidillon which I believe that road now leads to the paddock area). Eau Rouge didn't exist in it's current style (it was a touch tighter until the remodelling) until 1939.

You can still drive along the old circuit to where it rejoins the current track at Stavolot, but can't get onto the new track there any more. I need to go and visit Masta someday. None of the current track is public roads any more.

//edit for spelling

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/2007 05:44PM by gav.
Date: April 10, 2007 03:16AM
Posted by: gareth
I saw report in the Sunday paper that said the development on the Gold Coast will be a $650 million development that will incorporate a state of the art floodlit track, corporate facilities, hotels, wind tunnel for consumer development etc etc.

It is designed (apparently) to become the beating heart of Aussie motorsport and has been in planning & development for several years. Most of the required land has been purchased and they are waiting to get some Qld Government assistance before going ahead.

The CEO/manager of the concept was quoted as saying they do not want the F1 race, which may or may not be bollocks. Interesting nonetheless!

With regard to the comments re Qld geting another V8 round, I read some where that Townsville was very much back on the agenda? Do we have any banana-benders here who could shed some light?

And anyway, F1 should go to Eastern Creek, purely because then I could go watch easily ;)
Date: April 10, 2007 06:47AM
Posted by: prayerson
HI
I am from the Gold Coast and I have not heard of anything you have mentioned here ,up here on the Gold Coast.
Date: April 10, 2007 07:18AM
Posted by: gareth
Found the article:

Sydney Morning Herald - The Inside Line

A MASSIVE $650 million motor sporting precinct called i-METT - Integrated Motorsport Education Tourism and Technology - is being planned for the corridor between Brisbane and the Gold Coast, and those behind the project envisage it becoming home to Australia's horsepower sport.

The Queensland Government is reviewing the proposal, which features an international motor racing circuit, theme park, business park, hotel and tourist facilities. A wind tunnel for road-car testing is mooted.

The facility is to be built on 400 hectares used for sugar cane farming near Norwell, between the Pacific Highway and the coast.

Government approval is the next big hurdle. The US-based group behind it says 90 per cent of the land acquisition has been completed. It has been six years in the planning, and its first major event will be the World Rally Championship round.

I-METT will incorporate a floodlit race track designed by Hermann Tilke and it is expected to open in 2010. Other project components will be developed simultaneously.

An i-METT spokesperson dismissed Queensland reports it wanted to secure the F1 Australian Grand Prix.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2007 07:19AM by gareth.
Date: April 10, 2007 07:34AM
Posted by: James
I'd be for the Aus GP going to the Gold Coast however not for a night grand prix, im totally against a night grand prix.

If Bernie is really all for a night GP, then put it in Bahrain where there's no scenery to see during the day time anyway!
Date: April 10, 2007 08:25AM
Posted by: prayerson
WOW!!!!
That would be good Here on the Gold Coast we have the Champcar event and now there deciding to get the f1 up here.
Date: April 10, 2007 10:33AM
Posted by: Red_Bull
James Wrote:
>
> If Bernie is really all for a night GP, then put
> it in Bahrain where there's no scenery to see
> during the day time anyway!

Not a bad idea! Only problem is, Bahrain isnt in the Eastern Australian timezone.

Date: April 10, 2007 11:33AM
Posted by: torana_05
ohh no did anyone see wot i saw in gareths post, ill give u a hint
"I-METT will incorporate a floodlit race track designed by Hermann Tilke and it is expected to open in 2010. Other project components will be developed simultaneously"
please no get someone better to design a track for god sake no one needs another tilke circuit australia is soo far tilke-free

@ neil im actually debating getting rfactor just thinkin if we could try to convince some modders (cause i dotn know where to start)to try and get the toranas,monaros,falcons from f1c and maybe some 96-97 v8s in there maybe then i would really jump at it

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2007 11:48AM by torana_05.
torana_05 Wrote:

> @ neil im actually debating getting rfactor just
> thinkin if we could try to convince some modders
> (cause i dotn know where to start)to try and get
> the toranas,monaros,falcons from f1c and maybe
> some 96-97 v8s in there maybe then i would really
> jump at it

tbh with ya mate, get it just for V8Factor. i reckon its worth it for that mod alone.

and god knows when (well he does), cart 98 is going to be released and its going to be amazing once its done. im beta testing it and its really awsome in its current no where near finished state

Date: April 11, 2007 10:35AM
Posted by: Trido
I am a Queenslander and I'd love to see it a little closer to where I live. Sydney is the optimum IMO as it is the most central place between the major states of Australia. Screw NT and WA ... no offence. :P I had heard some rumour of maybe Sydney, but I think it is crap, as is a Queensland bid. Still, would be nice to be able to drive 2 hours to actually get to experience a GP rather then have to drive for a day or fly for several hours.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy