2007 Rules: Safety Car

Posted by danm 
Re: 2007 Rules: Safety Car
Date: March 01, 2007 04:15PM
Posted by: dolinseks
yes chet, you are right, they are inflated a little over 1 atm.

Date: March 01, 2007 04:18PM
Posted by: Senna
Imran Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> And senna, one day you claim that Seena death was
> caused due to a faulty steering rack made by
> williams and now you are complaining that its
> because it was due to the temperatures being too
> low after a SC?

Are you being serious? I am NOT claiming that the tyre temps are the cause of the accident, I am saying that cold tyres in a F1 car, in high speeds, IS DANGEROUS! In fact I HAVE NEVER SAID IT (that they caused Sennas accident), you are just putting words in my mouth when I have never said them!

I am just confirming something that is well known since 1994! When the SC was deployed after the starting grid accident at San Marino, it was reported that ALL - I REPEAT - ALL THE DRIVERS COMPLAINED THROUGH TEAM RADIO that the SC was going TOO SLOW to let them provide enough heat into their tyres! We all know that cold tyres are dangerous at high speeds but IT WASNT the cause of SENNAS ACCIDENT. It was the drivers main concern of the day, since the briefing when they complained to the race directors about the SC. PLEASE DO NOT RESTART THAT DISCUSSION (about sennas accident) HERE. OK? Thank you.

"I'm an artist, the track is my canvas, and the car is my brush."
Date: March 01, 2007 04:21PM
Posted by: Nickv
I did get the impression you were, because it was quite coincedental that you are against it since 1994. And IIRC it was the first time the SC got deployed since years, so the mistake that the SC was too slow, is forgivable. And that cold tyres are dangerous at high speeds should be well known by the drivers, so if they shouldn't drive that fast in the first laps.
Date: March 01, 2007 04:26PM
Posted by: marcl
Its part of the drivers skill to get heat in the tyres, drivers now days have it easy anyway with tc nice warm heated tyres.

IRL and other sports dont have heated tyres and do have safety cars and dont moan about it.
Date: March 01, 2007 04:30PM
Nickv Wrote:
> And that cold tyres are dangerous at high speeds should be well known by the drivers, so if they shouldn't drive that fast in the first laps.

But when you have a 20-point gap to cover in order to keep fighting for the championship and when ur rival in a cheat car (but u dont know about this yet) is right behind u, what would u do then? Give up? Frankly, I cant believe in it! Its a game of cat and rat!

They are race drivers, they HAVE to drive that fast to keep fighting, and its up to the directors to provide safety for them to drive like that! I am blaming them (race directors) for doing all the things wrong in this weekend, since ratzenbergers fatal accident!

If i want to see cars driving like a parade show then i'll go to the Avenue Rio Branco in my town to watch bus and taxi cars driving like that! pfftt...

Date: March 01, 2007 05:26PM
Posted by: Muks_C
yes they should get rid of tyre warmers.

and the tyres are going to be far from the most cutting edge technology (as existed when there was a tyre war) so their performance at low temps/pressures should not be too different, or dangerous, for the drivers.

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
Date: March 01, 2007 05:48PM
Posted by: Joe_Satriani
Senna Wrote:
> Its a game of cat and rat!

The expression is actually "game of cat and mouse" in English ;)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2007 05:49PM by Joe_Satriani.
Date: March 01, 2007 06:12PM
Posted by: Imran
@senna.
ok sorry I thought you implying that low temps caused sennas accident.

Anyway my main point is that tyre manufactureres should take responsibility for their tyres to work in all possible conditions that occur in a race. Especially now there is only one manufacturer.
Safety cars greatly reduce the risk of marshalls getting injured and also reduce number red flags. They are best solution in terms of safety and do not disrupt races as much as a restart.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: March 01, 2007 06:15PM
Posted by: chet
it would take far to much testing/research to try and make a tyre that would work at low temps, a situation that would only really occur at the start of the race....

anyway wouldnt that mean deffying the laws of physics? :p idk.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: March 01, 2007 06:40PM
Posted by: mikef1
"I can only remember 2 races being stopped mid race since 1989 when i watched f1 to 1994. France 1992 rain, porugal 1990."

Adelaide 1991 didn't even get to half distance! Austria 1987 is the worst that i remember as there were three starts! That track was fantastic in its old config but the start and finish straight was just too narrow.
Date: March 01, 2007 06:41PM
Posted by: Nickv
But when you have a 20-point gap to cover in order to keep fighting for the championship and when ur rival in a cheat car (but u dont know about this yet) is right behind u, what would u do then? Give up? Frankly, I cant believe in it! Its a game of cat and rat!

Will you ever stop with 'illegal cars' and 'cheating bastard' etc? It can't be used in EVERY situation. Besides, it isn't about Imola '94 right now, but about any SC situation thinkable. And no, you shouldn't give up. What you should do is know or find out where the limit is when you are on cold tyres. And you won't have any disadvantages compared to anyone else, as they also have cold tyres.

They are race drivers, they HAVE to drive that fast to keep fighting, and its up to the directors to provide safety for them to drive like that! I am blaming them (race directors) for doing all the things wrong in this weekend, since ratzenbergers fatal accident!

Yes, race directors have to provide safe tracks etc, but for a certain amount, it's also up to the driver to decide what to do and what not. It's not all up to the race directors.

If i want to see cars driving like a parade show then i'll go to the Avenue Rio Branco in my town to watch bus and taxi cars driving like that! pfftt...

OK, I ask you, what would be your decision if a crash like Kimi+Liuzzi at Hungary 06 occurs?
Date: March 01, 2007 09:17PM
Posted by: The Lopper
Hmmm, i don't think this is gonna make a huge difference. In fact i reckon it'll make for less exciting racing, because before a clever pitstop just when the safety car was deployed could throw a cat among the pigeons and have a midfield runner bumped up the field. However now the order is gonna stay the same and there's hardly gonna be any overtaking after the safety car is gone in, because there's too little overtaking in F1 anyway. The Safety Car only really works this way if drivers are willing to overtake. However getting rid of the Safety Car would of course be a ridiculous idea, because it would mean stopping the race for a serious accident.
Date: March 01, 2007 09:25PM
I'd rather stop the race than wait for the restart watching a useless cars parade - for what, 3, 4 laps - until the track is clean... At least we would have all the laps of the race in pure speed.

Date: March 01, 2007 09:30PM
you'd have less laps though more than likely because of stopping the race. I knows there's an argument to be made to stop the race and have a restart, but that would be seriously time wasting. Especially when you look at some races, particulary one or two in Montreal, where the Saftey Car has come out 3 or 4 times.
Date: March 01, 2007 09:34PM
@ Lopper, but that midfield driver would be artificially bumped up the order if he didn't pit when the leaders pitted. then it's just a matter of time till he has to pit where he will drop back down to his genuine position.

how many times have we seen it where the genuine leaders who did pit are driving behind the midfielder who didn't, and the commentators dismiss him as not being in a gennuine position, because he has to pit? he isn't really racing against them, so Brundle or whoever says something like "the real leaders are x, y and z, who are actually running behind driver m, who isn't the genuine race leader, but is only there because he didn't pit".

Date: March 01, 2007 09:40PM
Posted by: SexySam182
I think it can only be good, even if it doesnt change strategy or anything, we should at least see more overtaking at restarts :)

Date: March 01, 2007 09:44PM
Posted by: chet
restarts cost.
it was the reason for more SC this year? correct.

i believe Charlie, and thr FIA wanted to stop as many restarts as possible

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: March 01, 2007 09:46PM
Chet, i think SexySam means restarts after the SC, not a full restart on the grid. SexySam means we should see more overtaking when the SC goes in because there won't be backmarkers between the first few cars to get in the way.

Date: March 01, 2007 09:47PM
yes but (a) these midfielders will hold up the frontrunners

and (b) say the safety car comes out ahead of the leader, who has yet to make a pitstop. You are behind, but up the road on circuit. The safety car slows down the front runners while you are at full speed and then make a pit-stop. you come out then and join the group. Under this system haven't you saved time, or am i getting this wrong somewhere?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2007 09:49PM by The Lopper.
Date: March 01, 2007 11:21PM
dunno. will have to see what happens when your scenario happens in a race this year.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy