Imola Returns

Posted by matt3454 
Imola Returns
Date: September 18, 2006 10:18PM
Posted by: matt3454
[news.bbc.co.uk]

The San Marino Grand Prix at Imola could return next year after it was decided to expand the 2007 Formula One calendar from 17 to 18 races.

The decision came in Paris on Monday at a meeting of motor racing's governing body the FIA, manufacturers and representatives of all the F1 teams.

The event was left off the calendar following the return of Belgium and a desire to limit the number of races.

Imola's reprieve is subject to agreed renovations to the pits and paddock.

If those cannot be carried out in the required time-frame, another track could be selected to host a race.

The FIA's F1 commission and World Motor Sport Council must also rubber-stamp Imola's reinstatement.

Imola is the closest Grand Prix circuit to Ferrari's headquarters and earlier this month, team president Luca di Montezemolo asked F1 chief Bernie Ecclestone to reprieve the race.

The decision in Paris to expand next year's calendar was a unanimous one.

Other decisions to come out of Monday's meeting included:

The FIA will prepare draft regulations for 2009 concerning the recovery and re-use of energy.

#
Manufacturers will do the same for devices that could use waste heat and exhaust gases to help propel the cars.

#
A freeze on engine development scheduled for 2008 will be brought forward to next year with teams agreeing to no further development after next month's Japanese Grand Prix other than returning to a rev limit of 19,000rpm.

#
A 30,000km testing limit scheduled for 2008 will be brought forward to next year.

#
A working group will be established to discuss ways of restricting the use of costly wind tunnels, simulators and the number of people employed by teams.

I wonder if Ferrari had any influence CONSPIRACY ;)

Ild rather Imola went tho, produces boring races and the last few years have proved that you cant overtake around there.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2006 10:26PM by matt3454.
Re: Imola Returns
Date: September 18, 2006 10:32PM
Posted by: Joe_Satriani
Imola representatives said that it's highly unlikely that they'll be able to have all the modifications done in time. I'm rooting for Suzuka :)
Date: September 18, 2006 10:35PM
Posted by: Muks_C
Ferrari were clearly working to keep the race there, it's not a secret or anything.

but i agree, i'd rather Suzuka stayed if they want 18 races.

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
Date: September 18, 2006 10:40PM
Posted by: iCeMaN pAuL
i wasn't sad to see imola go in the first place but was devestated to hear about suzuka so bring back suzuka!!

[en-gb.facebook.com]
Date: September 19, 2006 12:01AM
Posted by: Jagdpanzer
Love Imola, love Suzuka. Kill off Bahrain and another snooze style circuit instead.

F1 in Bahrain..... what a joke....

"There are some pikeys there at Turn 10 putting tarmac down - what do you think of that?" - Martin Brundle
Date: September 19, 2006 05:55AM
Posted by: HakkF1
Bahrain is one of the best tracks.
at least its better than Malaysia,China,hungary,Australia
Imola???huh,crap track,dead boring race,but u r cleary a Ferrari fan.

==============================

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/2006 05:58AM by HakkF1.
Date: September 19, 2006 06:22AM
Posted by: IWE
Imola is quite boring.. But still they should drop Silverstone or Magny Course before even thinking about dropping tracks like Imola or Suzuka.

Kimi, so, Massa Fernando Sebastian is faster than you. Can you confirm you understood that message?
Date: September 19, 2006 10:40AM
Posted by: Muks_C
i love Magny Cours on GP4, always have good fun driving there with its fast chicanes. i think it should stay.

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
Date: September 19, 2006 11:18AM
Posted by: zeppelin101
Bahrain overs some good passing opportunities in a couple of places, as does Sepang, and I like sepang, it's a big hefty track with a good mix of corners.

Imola is a bit of a yawn fest now they've killed the chicane at the top, and suzuka should never have left the calendar, the place has way too much history
Date: September 19, 2006 12:26PM
Posted by: Lemming
HakkF1 Wrote:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Bahrain is one of the best tracks.
> at least its better than Malaysia,China,hungary,Australia
> Imola???huh,crap track,dead boring race,but u r cleary a Ferrari fan.

Australia? That always provides cracking races.

Anyway, I'd rather see Imola go and Suzuka come back, still can't believe they're getting rid of it. After Spa, it's my favourite track. :(

Hungary has had it's one in 20 year good race, now they should get rid of it. And France... I like driving it in games, but it's boring to watch. Bahrain and China are rubbish too. I'd rather have the two races in Germany than those two...

Date: September 19, 2006 12:34PM
Posted by: Zyklef
I think most of the new tracks are pretty good to be honest. For the most part I think that most of the best tracks are old ones and most of the worst tracks are. The newer circuits sit in the middle for me so I'd rather see the crap old tracks go before any of the Tilke ones. And for me Imola is first on that list! :P
Date: September 19, 2006 05:18PM
Posted by: Joe_Satriani
Imola is very boring to watch, great to drive. Still, I think Suzuka should never leave the calender...hell, I wouldn't mind 2 races a year there, heh.
Date: September 19, 2006 06:03PM
Posted by: FRESCO
But still they should drop Silverstone

Don't be ridiculous, its the third best track on the calendar.

Date: September 19, 2006 07:02PM
Posted by: DrDougal
I am glad they are having 18 races now,

I would rather have a dull race than no race at all.
Date: September 19, 2006 07:19PM
Posted by: matt3454
Oooopsie, completly the wrong thread.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/2006 07:22PM by matt3454.
Date: September 19, 2006 07:44PM
Posted by: Lemming
IWE Wrote:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
> But still they should drop Silverstone

Missed this comment earlier. I'm sorry, why? Are you just speaking in idiot and I don't understand?

Date: September 19, 2006 08:17PM
Posted by: Iceman-Kimi
Imola will remove the last chicane so there could be much slipstreaming then, silverstone is good, magny cours is good so dont drop them, drop nurburgring, boring, not hockenheim, and suzuka should be WITh fuji, could be fun

Date: September 19, 2006 10:36PM
Posted by: bestobritish
why drop silverstone, its one of the fastest most challenging tracks on the calender.

Also Hungary maybe be boring as a spectical but IMO you need a varity of tracks to make a truelly changing championship, you wouldnt want all the tracks to be of the same type.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: September 19, 2006 10:57PM
Posted by: Made in Brazil
And Interlagos?

What do you think?

Date: September 19, 2006 11:21PM
Posted by: oliver_33
I think it will be much better to have race in Dubai replacing Bahrain, Donington instead of Silverstone, Sentul instead of Sepang, USA GP everywhere except Indianapolis and so on.. ;)

---
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy