Can Jenson Win In '06? (itv.com)

Posted by Lucasinio 
Re: Can Jenson Win In '06? (itv.com)
Date: January 31, 2006 10:28PM
Posted by: Vader
I couldn't care less how my "nation" or my "fellow kinsmen" do. I definitely lack the "patriotism-gene". In fact I'm almost happy when "our" team doesn't win anything - keeps all the morons quiet for a while. But let's not start a political discussion about national pride here (again).

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: January 31, 2006 10:42PM
Posted by: mikef1
The fact is that Button has failed to win the kind of adulation and adoration that many British fans had for Hill and Mansell as well as races.
Date: January 31, 2006 10:50PM
Posted by: Muks_C
that's an interesting way of thinking Vader.

many years ago, when chatting vaguely about football with someone, i asked him "do you hope England wins the football?" (it was Euro '96 at the time), and he said "no, cos they'll just go on about it for the next 30 years" (referring to the '66 World Cup).

and you mention not feeling any connection with your fellow countrymen. when i was doing criminology, one of our lectures discussed the fact that the government and do-gooders always want to give everyone a sense of belonging to their "community", so they would feel safe and a sense of pride in something close to them, but the lecturer disputer this, and argues that there is in fact no such thing as a "community", just a random collection of people living near each other, and none of them in reality feel any safer or better for belonging to such a thing.

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
Date: February 01, 2006 12:01AM
Posted by: chet
Some interesting views here.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: February 01, 2006 12:23AM
Posted by: DrDougal
I think these views indicate a lack of hope.

WILL JENSON WIN? (the real answer) I really hope Jense does win but whats the point? We all secretly know he wont so stop bloody asking us!

<FACT> the last englishman to win a gp was Johnny Herbert fan in Luxembourg 1999
Date: February 01, 2006 12:36AM
Posted by: madotter
Of course Jenson can win. It goes without saying that he is one of the top four drivers in the world, better than Alonso in a straight fight, more skilful than Raikkonnen, and smoother than Montoya. Consistency accounts for a great deal in winning the championship and he has already proved that. Button just needs that little bit extra that only the Gods can deliver: luck.
Paul Michael Sawyer
Nuneaton

LMAO!!!!

better than Alonso in a straight fight - YEAH, he wishes
more skilful than Raikkonnen - Im sorry, what driver were we talking about?
smoother than Montoya - Fair enough, but in some situations so was Sato...
Date: February 01, 2006 12:47AM
madotter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> LMAO!!!!
>
> better than Alonso in a straight fight - YEAH, he
> wishes
> more skilful than Raikkonnen - Im sorry, what
> driver were we talking about?
>

How can we judge something that has not yet taken place?

Date: February 01, 2006 01:32AM
Posted by: LS.
The way i see it is that if jenson wins a race on merit, he's gonna get slated either way

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat
Date: February 01, 2006 02:13AM
Posted by: St.Hubbins
I've never understood why an individual sport needs to be turned into a nationalistic thing. My two favourite drivers are from Finland and France. I couldn't give two hoots if they come from the moon.

Can't recall the last Brit I really wanted to win races, although I suppose it was nice to see Johnny winning thrice, but more because he was an underdog rather than because he was British.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function. -- F.Scott Fitzgerald
Date: February 01, 2006 09:01AM
I want him to win because i like him, and think he is a very talented driver.

Date: February 02, 2006 07:39PM
Posted by: Mini Maestro
what has Jenson done to qualify as a hero?
If so every driver to win in F1 is a Hero
Date: February 02, 2006 08:12PM
Where has 'hero' come into this? lol

Date: February 02, 2006 09:09PM
Posted by: Fourjays
Before people put down Jensons driving skills on a whole, they should look at his performance in 2004. Schumacher himself said at the end of the German GP, that if there had been another 10laps, JB would have caught up to him. Then look at the testing times from Valencie this week. Both yesterday (wednesday) and today, Jenson has been just a tiny amount behind Alonso. Meanwhile Jensons teammates (and Alonsos for that matter) are quite a bit slower.

Wednesday:

1. ALONSO Renault 1m11.291s
2. BUTTON Honda 1m11.327s

Thursday:

1. ALONSO Renault 1m10.904s
2. BUTTON Honda 1m10.907s

(Sourced from ITV-F1.com)

But can he win in '06?

My personal feelings on this is that it all comes down to the 2006 championship. If he can't win a race this year, I can't see him doing it easily in the future, as looking at the current testing results, this is the best chance he is going to get.
Date: February 02, 2006 09:16PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
Of course Jenson can win. It goes without saying that he is one of the top four drivers in the world, better than Alonso in a straight fight, more skilful than Raikkonnen, and smoother than Montoya.

Christ...

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: February 02, 2006 09:19PM
@ Fourjays, catching MS is 1 thing, passing and taking the win is quite another.

MS caught Alonso pretty easily at Imola, but could he pass him? could he buggery.

Date: February 02, 2006 09:20PM
Posted by: vesuvius
Well Jenson is only good when car is good (like it was in 2004) .But I also have to say that we shouldn't look too much to the testing times they don't tell us anything because teams are testing so many different things and also with different fuel loads.
Date: February 02, 2006 09:21PM
Posted by: Fourjays
Muks_C Wrote:
> @ Fourjays, catching MS is 1 thing, passing and
> taking the win is quite another.
>
> MS caught Alonso pretty easily at Imola, but could
> he pass him? could he buggery.
>
>
------------------------------------------------------

Of course - thats the hardest part.

Date: February 02, 2006 09:25PM
Posted by: vesuvius
Well Kimi Raikkonen told last year what he thinks about his rivals.He said that Jenson Button is one of the most easiest driver to pass and everyone in F1 knows it :)
Date: February 02, 2006 09:25PM
exactly, so whether MS said JB would catch him or not with more laps, is irrelevant.

Date: February 02, 2006 09:31PM
Posted by: Mini Maestro
chet Wrote:
> Where has 'hero' come into this? lol
>
>
>
>

READ

Posted by: danm (IP Logged)
Date: January 31, 2006 09:47PM

button is the leading brit, so our nation follows that hero as he is our most likely equipped driver to achieve success so we all back him, hence the hype.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2006 09:32PM by Mini Maestro.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy