Newey to RedBull

Posted by Sauber89 
Re: Newey to RedBull
Date: November 08, 2005 06:58PM
Posted by: Race_Monkey
It will be interesting to see how this affects where Kimi goes for 2007, suddenly a switch is more likely....

Date: November 08, 2005 07:01PM
Posted by: Muks_C
I don't see DC leaving McLaren as being a major factor in Newey wanting to leave. his job is to be loyal to the team and design the best car he can, not to any particular driver.

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
Date: November 08, 2005 07:05PM
Posted by: Nemesis78
Adrians actually a very patrioic person. He likes to do well for a British driver. Hence the situation at Williams with Damon. Of course he'll do the best he can for the team. But I think he wants to feel as if hes part of the decision process as well. If Ron and Martin overruled him on the DC/JPM switch. (And this year has shown they might have done better to retain DC as a better team mate to the faster Kimi.) then he may have suffered a little in terms of motivation.

Hence the 18 and 19A fiasco.
Date: November 08, 2005 07:29PM
Posted by: mika19b
NNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I cant belive newey has left for red-bull racing!!! Oh well.....thats the end of mclarens 2006 title challenge + i think for sure kimi will leave at the end of 2006. Dam i am a kimi + mclaren fan as well!
Date: November 08, 2005 07:36PM
Posted by: laurent
don't say this too early mate.....

Newey isn't the only one ;-)

do you guys really think newey made this car alone??? I don't think so. Maybe he gave some ideas, like anyone should do....

Maybe its good for the team structure for RBR, but its not cause of Newey they will win races...

We'll see what happens, but I really think mclaren will go for the title again, and RBR subtop like previous year.
Date: November 08, 2005 07:45PM
Posted by: Hakkinenf1
but any part that is made in the Mclaren should by examend by Newey
so u can say he was part of the all the car desinge,i wish he had moved in 2001 to Jaguar
because:
1-Mclaren already had won nothing since 2001
2-we would still had Jaguar
3-Mclaren would had found another technical team,now they need a whole year to find a new one.
the transtmion time will kill the Mlcaren

-------------------------
gooooz fra ba
-------------------------
Date: November 08, 2005 08:18PM
Posted by: Nemesis78
Well apart from all those pesky races since 2001 then Yes, McLaren have not won anything since 1999.

Actually thinking about it I would of preferred him to return to Williams.
Date: November 08, 2005 08:25PM
Posted by: IceKimi
I think this is bad for newey and mclaren.
Now without Adrian i would love to see Rory Byrne in mclaren...;-)

Team McLaren
Grand Prix entries:597 Wins:148 Pole Positions:122
Date: November 08, 2005 09:13PM
Posted by: Mini Maestro
Mclarens 2006 performance wont be affected neiother will RBR's overly.
In 2007 we'll see.
Date: November 08, 2005 09:16PM
Posted by: renyf1
do i cry now or later ?

sure newy just one part of the mclaren equation but still a part (driver, chassis, tires, engine, team)! areo is now the biggest influence on the chassis side of things now

in f1 u can see it time and time again its the combination of things that make sure a great year and championship runs

if he were to leave mclaren, i too would of liked to see him back @ williams and really revive them

just dont understand why red bull unless they threw crazy cash @ him ... they dont have a works engine ... with a works engine u get to put some input into the shape and how it will fit ur chassis ... i cant see ferrari giving up design compromises to red bull if it screws them

will be very interesting to see how all this plays out

i see newy as just wanting to be loved ... didnt find that with williams so he left, didnt find that @ mclaren, so he's leaving again
Date: November 08, 2005 09:45PM
Posted by: Pooky
pretty stunning news

yesterday i saw ron - and to think he did not know anything then,

all a bit of a shock at work

but tbh i think Ron has planned for neweys eventual departure and has probably contingency plan and people in place to take over

im sure we will be ok but obviously big loss and unstabling of the boat so to speak
Date: November 08, 2005 10:17PM
Yer that is true its not just newey who does the aerodynamics but he designed the `horns` the front wing and he looked over the whole aero department. It will be a loss to mclaren but i reckon newey will retire end of 2008 anyway!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2005 10:18PM by mika19b.
Date: November 08, 2005 10:20PM
Posted by: kaid
newey is going to design the car for mclaren for 2006. Because he leaves mclaren at the end of february 2006.

Date: November 08, 2005 10:24PM
Yer thats true kaid but he wont be there to develop on the car through the season
Date: November 08, 2005 11:42PM
Posted by: watercolours
shame! i am first mclaren, then kimi fan. despite lack of success in recent years, there is little doubt that those cars were not good -keep mp4-19 away- aerodynamically. i think adrian also wants to see his cars get the title. probably he got bored of mclaren's unstable engines keeping his cars out of title race. merc engines ruin everything. if kimi goes, his leave will probably be due to merc engines.
Date: November 09, 2005 12:00AM
Posted by: Zcott
I think it's great that there's a bit more unpredictability into F1 now. Who expects Red Bull to really do well? No one! Well, they do now. So it'll be great to see how Newey can turn things around at RBR.

This could, of course, help the back of the grid folks, depending on how STR "acquire" their chassis.

Date: November 09, 2005 04:13AM
Posted by: Karan19
well RBR have the resources...they can do what Toyota did this year and build 2 completely new cars in the time from the launch to Melbourne. Although I doubt that'll happen. But I'm sure we'll see Newey putting out a B-spec car as soon as he can into the season.
Date: November 09, 2005 08:49AM
Posted by: chet
so i wonder how much 20 the 2 will be?

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: November 09, 2005 09:58AM
Posted by: abulafia
This is all (red) bull ;)

Firstly, McLaren have Coughlan, Prodromou and Tobazis in their aero team - each of them makes a Newey by himself nowadays. Tobazis in particular was snapped from Ferrari 2 years ago, just after he finished his military service (which is obligatory) in Greece. He was Byrne's No1 assistant and he was generally in charge of the MP4-20. Basically, he was the one who designed the car alongside Coughlan and Prodromou, with Newey playing a supervising role. McLaren have a tremendous structure as a team and have nothing to fear from Newey's departure. They days when one man had a brilliant idea and this idea was enough to win races and championships (eg carbon-fibre monocoque, ground-effect, fan-car, etc etc) are long gone. The name of the game now is evolution, and having the right procedures in place to analyze data and optimize your solutions. This is probably why Ferrari have excelled in the past years - because their organization and procedures were by far the best. And this is why they have failed in 2005 - not because the other teams came up with a sudden and brilliant idea, but because the mechanisms that Ferrari has failed to "read" the 2005 rules correctly and underestimated the effect that they would have on the car with relation to their competitors. Newey can go to McLaren, but McLaren will not suffer from it, and Red Bull will not become a front runner over night.

As for the 2006 situation, I strongly disagree with the opinion that Newey designed the 2006 car. This is very unlikely. McLaren knew about Newey's imminent departure long before we read about it in the websites. I believe that 3-4 months sounds about right, notwithstanding the talks that Newey must have had with the management throughout the season. It is logic to expect that Newey was gradually side-stepped in the designing process of the 06 car - the highlight being his abscence from the Japaneze and the Chinese race. This indicates that Newey has been on a prolongued gardening leave, and it only makes sense. People who used to wonder where Newey was in China and Japan (given the critical importance of these 2 races for the WCC) now got their answer.

So, those who worry that McLaren are going to fall back because of Newey's departure, can rest assured. Ferrari didn't fall back because Byrne had less say on the 05 machine, but because the Team failed to react to the regulation changes. If McLaren are going to fail in 06, it will be because of something similar, not because of Newey's departure.

Having said that, Newey's tremendous ability to read into rules will be missed, and it will be a welcome boost to RBR. It would have been a better thing for McLaren if Newey had stayed, for sure - but their reluctance to meet his financial demands (despite the fact that McLaren have increased their income by 100m$ in comparison to 2004!!), is an indication that Newey may be missed but they can just as well do without him.

[gp3hotlaps.freefronthost.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2005 10:00AM by abulafia.
Date: November 09, 2005 10:18AM
Posted by: b-tone
yesterday i saw ron - and to think he did not know anything then,

i'm sure he's known for a long time.

newey is going to design the car for mclaren for 2006. Because he leaves mclaren at the end of february 2006.

i doub't he'll have that big a part to play in it any more.

____
Tony

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy