FIA unveils radical new rear wing design"!!!

Posted by iceman kimi 
Re: FIA unveils radical new rear wing design"!!!
Date: October 24, 2005 04:20PM
Posted by: gin
nice!! finally fia iz doing something about overtaking (or lack of it)!!

Date: October 24, 2005 04:29PM
Posted by: dolinseks
The problem with overtaking is, that you cant get into the sleapstream of the car infront of you, because the front wings are too high of the ground. Overtaking was easy in 00 and before, but since that stupid front wing liftups, we get less and less overtaking.

Date: October 24, 2005 04:36PM
Posted by: Race_Monkey
Am I the only one who thinks those rearwings look funky, probably wont work, but still...

Date: October 24, 2005 04:47PM
Posted by: marcl
they also need to look at the points system as drivers ont risk moves for 2 more points. A gap of 4 points from 1 to 2nd was better
Date: October 24, 2005 04:50PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
Locke Cole Wrote:
> they have no right to complain about an FIA
> scheme which aims to provide more overtaking in
> F1.

Well i'd like to question this. No right to complain about FIA Schemes? Kinda like the raised front wing which was supposed to help overtaking, but instead made it worse?

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: October 24, 2005 05:32PM
Posted by: anze89
OMG, that rear wing looks awful.

I'm 100% that they don't need to change the rear wing so dramaticly, it has a similar design for the past 20 years, so it's not 'his' fault that there is lack of overtaking nowadays

Date: October 24, 2005 05:35PM
Posted by: Muks_C
@ Dolinseks, the huge amount of dirty air coming off the rear wing and out of the diffuser makes the front wing less efficient. if they reduced the effectiveness of both, and also lowered the front wing, it might help following closely through corners.

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
Date: October 24, 2005 05:43PM
Posted by: Mini Maestro
why not the just ban the flips up and extra bullshit.
compare the 2001 Mclaren to the 2005 Mclaren and theres a major difference.

comon in 2003 there was plenty of overtaking and now in 2005 theres virtually none.
That diffinately leaves the blame at the FIA's door for their umpteen million changes to the regs in that small period of time.
Date: October 24, 2005 05:49PM
Posted by: tripleM
pardon me,but as it stands a diffuser helps to increase the air pressure

higher air pressure=more DF for the car behind

Date: October 24, 2005 05:53PM
it increases the air pressure for the car its attached to. the diffuser does nothing to help the car that is following. 'as long as the air does a good job for your own car, who cares what effect it has on the following cars?' - thats the philosophy taken by aero guys.

Date: October 24, 2005 05:56PM
Posted by: rocker
I don't remember much overtaking in 2003, just mid-90's and past.

Sorry marcl, I repeated what you said. I was writing when my boss enter the room, so I minimized the window. After he left I finished writing and posted.

--------------------------------------------
Rocker
Date: October 24, 2005 05:58PM
Posted by: Lemming
is it april 1st again?

Date: October 24, 2005 06:00PM
Posted by: Xero
It looks good to me. I'm like most, I don't want to see such a dramactic change to the cosmetics, but you can't argue with it's physical effect on the cars! Look at those air flow diagrams... no loss in front downforce at all for a car length behind. The cars wont lose any speed either by the looks of it. The width of the wing element comes to about the same. It's just been cut in two, and shifted over the rear wheels instead of between them. If anything, it may actually improve rear-end grip.
Date: October 24, 2005 06:10PM
Posted by: Lemming
I think it looks disgusting. It's getting a bit silly now, the way all the restrictions seem to be hampering the natural speed. Imagine how much better things would be without the silly grooved tyres... how much more overtaking would we have seen if the rules hadn't been messed about with so much to get to this state. the Trulli Trains just show this so easily.

The FIA should just step back a bit I think...

Date: October 24, 2005 06:14PM
Posted by: chet
about the front wing.. well who ever sed it would help overtaking is just a complete nobber :P

i like this idea.. car looks good.. slicks wider rear wheels :)

the onlu way to see if it will work is obviously test it.. i like it because its simple.

looks like the BAR ;)

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: October 24, 2005 06:16PM
Posted by: marcl
They are missing the point i know they are trying to help but its not really what the cars need, and no i am not an areo expert.

But surly go back to slicks, ban the flip ups, lower the nose again. Alot of the problems as well is that no only do designers look at the best areo they also look at disturbing the air behind the car, so make a standared defuser as Triple M said.

The problems have happened since the FIA started messing about with hights of wings and body work without fully caring out tests. Sliptreaming never used to be a problem watch 1989,1990,1991,1992,1993,1994,1995,1996,1997 then look what happened.

Date: October 24, 2005 06:29PM
as far as i understood it, raising the front wing was to reduce the overall input it has on a cars downforce, in other words, make the car less reliant on the front wing by making it less efficient.

it *may* have had the side-effect of making overtaking easier as your car shouldn't be as hampered following another car as much as it used to, because the front wing has less input to the amount of grip you have (its logical in a way), but it appears to have done the total opposite: less efficiency leading to less grip (as was desired) but they don't have the confidence to even *try* to overtake.

the grooves in the tyres don't help either.

Date: October 24, 2005 06:41PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
tripleM Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> pardon me,but as it stands a diffuser helps to
> increase the air pressure
>
> higher air pressure=more DF for the car behind
>

Teams have said this is a bugger effect on overtaking than the rear wings though

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: October 24, 2005 06:41PM
Posted by: DrDougal
I think the teams have agreed to use it for 2007 according to the itv-f1.com website.

I love it. It makes the cars very unique and will certainly allow for better racing. The FIA are my hero's (for once).
Date: October 24, 2005 06:46PM
Posted by: Sauber89
1997 regs are whats needed

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy