Re: Electronic Aids

Posted by nidge12345 
Date: February 22, 2003 09:14AM
Posted by: nidge12345
Since electronic aids such as autostarts, traction control and yadda yadda yadda are being banned from Silverstone (?) onwards, why aren't they banning rev limiters?

I may be wrong but aren't they electronic devices?

It would certainly make drivers more careful of not gunning their engines, and just add something more to go wrong during a race that may allow for better racing. Cynical or negative thinking I know, but hey, if Max can...

Thoughts people?

Date: February 22, 2003 10:04AM
Posted by: Pooky
i totally agree. it would much better if the driver had to be careful about when to change gear etc.

Date: February 22, 2003 11:57AM
Posted by: _Alex_
I don't agree - we don't want to see drivers' cars blowing up all over the place and depriving us of racing (of which there isn't exactly a plentitude at the current time). Rev limiters are fine, keep them there, they're not doing any harm.

HISTORIC BTCC VIDEOS
Date: February 22, 2003 12:01PM
Posted by: daveb
i must agree with alex on this 1

Date: February 22, 2003 12:04PM
Posted by: Vader
Besides the higher the engines rev the harder it is to control. It's a difference if you have to handle an engine without limiter at 12000rpm or 19000rpm.

Post Edited (02-22-03 20:46)

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: February 22, 2003 12:58PM
Posted by: Morbid
I agree. Keep the rev limiters. In gp4 I sometimes go from gear change to top revs in a second or less. God knows how it would be doing the real thing and to have this under manual control.

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
Date: February 23, 2003 09:32PM
Posted by: CMJH69
What Alex said gets my vote!

Date: February 23, 2003 10:41PM
Posted by: Boils
Nothing wrong with rev limiters.

Not like McLaren and Williams need any more chance of braking thier engines.

Date: February 24, 2003 01:50AM
Posted by: senninho
I agree with everyone here, but it would be made a little more interesting if they had proper manual gears eg, with a proper gearstick and clutch - if they miss a gear, it'll be a big overtaking opportunity, but the rev limiter should stop any damage being done. Oh, and bring back slick tyres, trim the wings and make the difuser bigger - that way, most of the downforce will be coming from underneath the car, which will result in much less turbulence. it works in other series!
Date: February 24, 2003 03:57PM
Posted by: marcl
Put the cars back to 1990.

Bigger tyres and manual gears, flat bottoms and things like that.

Back then cars were cars people attacked corners and there was over taking.

Remember Berger in 1989 Germany attacking the curbs, ok the car broke but it was so good to see.
Date: February 24, 2003 04:45PM
Posted by: thx1138
As long as they have to change gears with the paddles then the rev limiter is O.K.
Date: February 24, 2003 05:20PM
Posted by: marcl
They should change gear like we all do with a gear stick. They drivers should be good enough not to buzz their engines.

They have only driven for 12 years with paddles. They are paid enough money to drive so they should drive with gears think of the money that will be saved not having to build these electronic gear boxes. They drive manual gear boxes in all other forms of sport such as cart, f3, f3000 so why do we need them in F1.

It will cut down the advantage of top teams, Ferrari gear change is so fast they have made gear boxes that last 1 race and cost a lot smaller teams could never afford these.
Date: February 24, 2003 10:43PM
Posted by: Boils
F1 is the pinnacle of motorsport so it has the fastest NA engines, fastest changing gear boxes, paddles as gear changes, highest downforce etc etc

If u want f3, f3000 then i suggest u watch them...

I think they should go back to how it was in 97 but with the engines they have today they would be so quick they would have to wear pilot g-suits!! that would be awesome.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy