2010 Formula 1™ Spanish GP THREAD **SPOILERS**

Posted by raulongo 
2010 Formula 1™ Spanish GP THREAD **SPOILERS**
Date: May 04, 2010 04:13PM
Posted by: raulongo
2010 Formula 1™ Spanish GP - 7, 8 and 9th May, 2010.

The circuit was originally intended to host its first grand prix in 1992 to coincide with Barcelona's Olympic Games, but it was ready a year ahead of schedule. The track is a favourite for out-of-season F1 tests as well as hosting the annual Spanish Grand Prix.

When the circuit was first used overtaking was rife as cars were able to get very close through the last two corners and make use of the slipstream on the straight. Since the changes to the aerodynamics of the cars, however, the turbulence caused from the rear wings has spoiled this opportunity. In 2007 the second to last corner was replaced with a slow chicane in an effort to improve overtaking, but it doesn't seem to have been successful.

Although the circuit has received criticism for lack of race action over the years, there have been a number of memorable moments at the track. In 1991, Ayrton Senna and Nigel Mansell were fighting tooth and nail for second place, racing side by side down the front straight in a memorable image. It was Mansell who eventually triumphed, winning the inaugural Catalunya race, while Senna finished fifth. In 2006 Fernando Alonso became the first Spanish F1 driver to win at his home circuit.

Winners up to date

2009: J. Button (Brawn GP)
2008: K. Raikkonen (Ferrari)
2007: F. Massa (Ferrari)
2006: F. Alonso (Renault)
2005: K. Raikkonen (McLaren)
2004: M. Schumacher (Ferrari)
2003: M. Schumacher (Ferrari)
2002: M. Schumacher (Ferrari)
2001: M. Schumacher (Ferrari)
2000: M. Hakkinen (Mclaren)
1999: M. Hakkinen (Mclaren)
1998: M. Hakkinen (McLaren)
1997: J. Villeneuve (Williams)
1996: M. Schumacher (Ferrari)
1995: M. Schumacher (Benetton)
1994: D. Hill (Williams)
1993: A. Prost (Williams)
1992: N. Mansell (Williams)
1991: N. Mansell (Williams)

raulgullon.com -
Wedding and Motorsports Photography.
Rain is scheduled across the weekend again, so we could get another disrupted race, or at least qualifying. While it is entertaining, it is still quite hard to work out the comparative race pace between the main teams - so hopefully we get a straight fight soon. On the other hand, a dry race at Barcelona with the new rules could be terribly boring.

Anyway, with all the updates, it will be interesting to see who is where. Red Bull should get another pole, Hamilton and Massa will want to get back at their team-mates and it will be interesting to see if the new mirror rules make any difference.

X (@ed24f1)
Alonso will get both pole & win.
Re: 2010 Formula 1™ Spanish GP THREAD **SPOILERS**
Date: May 05, 2010 04:59AM
Posted by: EC83
If it rained during the race that would be brilliant, as we all know how dull dry races are here. A race which started on a damp track would make great viewing - remember 1991 and 1992. We're probably due another wet one too; it'd be the first for 14 years. But a 1991/1992 level of wetness would make for better viewing - and racing - than a 1996-style soaking.

A lot to ask for obviously, and weather forecasts are notoriously unreliable. But we can hope. Maybe the volcanic ash cloud can screw up the European weather systems a bit. :P

first new parts spotted:

Weird Mercedes airbox

&

Saubers F-Duct

Date: May 06, 2010 06:54PM
Posted by: Nickv
I like that airbox. I'm surprised though that nobody has thought of that earlier. It seems a large aerodynamic advantage to me.
having thought of it rarely equates to putting it on the car. many ideas get binned again after a few internal tests on some windchannel models or even just computer simulations. i remember hearing that the nose of the fw26 was designed by some former ferrari designer who already had had that idea during his time at ferrari, only for it not to make it through to the car there.
Date: May 06, 2010 07:05PM
Posted by: Nickv
I know that. But if it didn't provide an advantage, it would've been binned by Mercedes too. Having that said, not everything works equally well on every car.
Date: May 06, 2010 08:05PM
Posted by: IWE
Hottest hot.. lol

;)

Kimi, so, Massa Fernando Sebastian is faster than you. Can you confirm you understood that message?
it looks like Virgin have a shark fin as well for Glock

X (@ed24f1)
Date: May 06, 2010 10:53PM
Posted by: marcl
Benetton in 1988 and 1989 had that type of system. I am not sure they will get enough air in that but what do I know but I know that is why they changed it.

Have tbh I do not like it but it might look better on the track.
Date: May 06, 2010 11:13PM
Posted by: meexi
Regarding the Mercedes Airbox, I thought it was in the regs that you had to be able to stall the engine by the airbox by putting an A4 sized clipboard so that marshalls could switch off the engine?
Date: May 07, 2010 09:49AM
Posted by: Ali
Any good stream to watch the frees on internet from Germany/Munich?
Date: May 07, 2010 10:51AM
Posted by: Slash
[eplsite.com]

Jenson is driving beautifully
mercedes's new airbox doesn't look so cool;)

My GPGSL Career
Red Bull look as good as expected and will be the favourites for pole tomorrow, Schumi seems to have a car that suits better now and that's great :)
Date: May 07, 2010 04:15PM
Its a bit worrying that RBR are that far ahead, I just hope the rest were not running as light :(
This is a track were downforce is important and RBR has by far the most downforce on their car so they will be ahead no doubt but I don't thik they will be as much as seen today...but well doesn't matter if they are as they are my favourites :) what is worrying for others is that RBR really never have shown their full speed before qualifying so there is more to come from them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2010 04:27PM by vesuvius.
Date: May 07, 2010 04:33PM
Webber seems to think Mclaren were holding back today, we shall see tomorrow.
Date: May 07, 2010 05:31PM
Posted by: EC83
Hope Jenson can have a strong weekend here and really cement his good early-season form. It's the kind of track where you'd expect him to go particularly well with a nicely set-up car.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy