BBC Formula 1 host Jake Humphrey to switch to BT football coverage from 2013

Posted by elpasho2005f1 
From autosport.com

Jake Humphrey will leave the BBC and quit his role as its Formula 1 anchor at the end of the year.

The 33-year-old will instead front BT Vision's coverage of the Barclays Premier League.

Humphrey, who was out of contract at the end of this season, has been the face of F1 on the BBC ever since the channel won the rights to broadcast races from the 2009 season.

At the end of 2011 the BBC was named broadcaster of the year at the FIA Prize Giving Gala in New Delhi.

This year however his role has been diminished as a result of the BBC's share TV deal with Sky.

Humphrey, who has fronted the London 2012 Olympics, BBC Sports Personality of the Year and European Championships football coverage in his 10-year stint with the channel, said he was thrilled to be joining BT's new venture.

"I am incredibly excited to be joining the team at BT not just because I get to fulfil a lifelong dream of presenting the Barclays Premier League but because of the fresh perspective that BT will bring to both sport and broadcasting in this country," he said.

"To be a part of this young, vibrant team who are as passionate about sport as I am, is a privilege.

"I've grown up at the BBC, and whilst I hope to work with them in the future, I'd also like to place on record my thanks to them.

"I am incredibly grateful to all colleagues, and of course the viewers, for their incredible support from CBBC all the way to Formula 1.

"My focus from the start of 2013 is on making BT's coverage of football the best this country has ever seen."

Marc Watson, chief executive of BT Vision, added: "We are absolutely delighted that Jake has chosen to join our new sports channel to anchor our Premier League programming.

"Jake is a tremendously experienced and popular sports broadcaster and a fresh, young and innovative talent.

"He impressed us with his willingness to get deeply involved in the development of our live football programming and we took into account his track record of excellent presenting across many sports.

"He fits our plans for the new channel perfectly and we are very excited to be working with him."

I wonder what this means for the BBC.....
Well Pooh!

But good luck to him anyways.

Hopefully the Beeb will do the sensible thing and promote Lee to the lead presenter.

J i m Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well Pooh!
>
> But good luck to him anyways.
>
> Hopefully the Beeb will do the sensible thing and
> promote Lee to the lead presenter.

I would imagine that would be case; giving her the role whilst Jake did the Olympics was probably a decent idea as she's now got experience in the role. And she's a good presenter too.

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
"My ambition is handicapped by laziness" - Charles Bukowski
Who cares.....
hasbriale Wrote:
> Who cares.....

People who won't pay £360 a year to just get Sky for the F1 coverage, that's who!! :-(

GPGSL -
GPGSL-3 - Pizza Party Racing manager and driver
Nations Cup - Team Scotland manager
To be fair - not all people who reda this forum are based in the Uk. However you have a very good point. Also think she would be very good because she is a motorsport person.
:(

He's a cracking host. He wasn't a huge F1 fan when he started, but one of things which endeared him to the fans was his enthusiasm to learn from others. He's a model professional, but unlike most, he's not a boring sod with it.

Given how attached to the BBC he was when the whole Sky thing came around, I guess the main factor in this is his wife's pregnancy and he'll want to be closer to her, and this will afford him that. For once I don't see money as the primary motivator.

Wish him well and I hope to see him back in the F1 paddock behind a mic in the future. I don't recall a better presenter than him... indeed I'm struggling to think of a better presenter in British sport - I'm sure others will disagree, but I think he was pretty much the perfect front man.

You've got to give it to Lee though. She's stood patiently behind him and has done well in the role, notably in the Japanese GP qualifying of 2010.

It won't be the same without Jake, so they'll have to change the dynamic anyway.
Yeah the dynamic will have to change, which will be for the best so Lee could make the show her own.

gav Wrote:
> :(
>
> He's a cracking host. He wasn't a huge F1 fan when
> he started, but one of things which endeared him
> to the fans was his enthusiasm to learn from
> others. He's a model professional, but unlike
> most, he's not a boring sod with it.
>
> Given how attached to the BBC he was when the
> whole Sky thing came around, I guess the main
> factor in this is his wife's pregnancy and he'll
> want to be closer to her, and this will afford him
> that. For once I don't see money as the primary
> motivator.
>
> Wish him well and I hope to see him back in the F1
> paddock behind a mic in the future. I don't recall
> a better presenter than him... indeed I'm
> struggling to think of a better presenter in
> British sport - I'm sure others will disagree, but
> I think he was pretty much the perfect front man.
>
> You've got to give it to Lee though. She's stood
> patiently behind him and has done well in the
> role, notably in the Japanese GP qualifying of
> 2010.
>
> It won't be the same without Jake, so they'll have
> to change the dynamic anyway.

Maybe to 'copy' the BBC, Lazenby to get canned by Sky? Here's hoping...

I used to think Lazenby needed time to adapt to F1 coverage. Now I just think he's an arsehole...

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
"My ambition is handicapped by laziness" - Charles Bukowski
Gav
They tried to do pretty much the same (even down to the tablet) except I want to punch that slimey bugger Lazemby

March 17 2012. My opinion hasn't changed.
Jake was always going to move on. Still was great whilst it lasted. Such a great presenter and such a person.

What's the BT shite all about then? They will be showing premier league? for free?

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Its a real shame he never went to sky to replace that idiot they have.

Wonder who the BBC will use, but he really did help in making the coverage what it was.

Really nice guy and seemed honest right from the start.
chet Wrote:
> Jake was always going to move on. Still was great
> whilst it lasted. Such a great presenter and such
> a person.
>
> What's the BT shite all about then? They will be
> showing premier league? for free?

I doubt they'll be showing the PL for free, each game is apparently worth £6 million... think it'll be like ESPN's Coverage.
Such an uber-professional presenter and lovely guy. I'll friggin miss him.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy