2012 Monaco Grand Prix Thread ***SPOILERS***

Posted by madotter 
Re: 2012 Monaco Grand Prix Thread ***SPOILERS***
Date: May 26, 2012 06:39PM
Posted by: marcl
I have only seen that once before when a driver turned the wheel and nothing happened on a dry track and that was Imola 1994.

Great lap by MS.

I still think it counts as pole in the records as he was not DQ like Lewis was. On points scoring games you get the points for pole even though the driver does not start there. Its the same for races as well.
Date: May 26, 2012 07:03PM
Posted by: Slash
today sums up Michael season so far, quick but cirumstances outside his control have put him beyond what he's capable.

that was pretty good for a mediocre driver.
Date: May 26, 2012 07:19PM
Posted by: gav
"cirumstances outside his control"? He was docked places for driving into another car. Though I still maintain he wasn't as guilty as many were saying, that's the way it is.

Horrible crash for Conor Daly in the GP3 race. Shades of Jeff Kronsnoff's sickening crash at Toronto.
Date: May 26, 2012 07:44PM
Posted by: EC83
elemental Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> EC83 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
>
> > Yeah, it would've been if it wasn't for the
> > penalty.
> >
>
> Pretty sure it counts as a pole and the penalty is
> applied 'between' qualifying and the race as far
> as stats go.

Yeah, that will be correct. I had this idea in my head of it not being a "real" pole unless he actually started the race from that position. But the penalty had nothing to do with his qualifying time itself(unlike Hamilton in Barcelona, for example) so you're right, the pole counts.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2012 07:54PM by EC83.
Date: May 26, 2012 07:50PM
Posted by: Slash
gav Wrote:
> "cirumstances outside his control"? He was docked
> places for driving into another car. Though I
> still maintain he wasn't as guilty as many were
> saying, that's the way it is.
>
> Horrible crash for Conor Daly in the GP3 race.
> Shades of Jeff Kronsnoff's sickening crash at
> Toronto.

you're right gav, but i mean as a whole, this first part of the season, he's been very quick, but he had to abbandon Australia, and China, in Malaysia he was handicapped by Grosjean, in Bahrein it seems there was a problem with DRS in qualy.. it's just the way it's been, quick but located in places that haven't reflect his true performance.
Date: May 26, 2012 08:07PM
Posted by: marcl
Tbh MS should have got a 10 place grid drop and is lucky its only 5.

The start should be very interesting tomorrow, Webber has made bad starts for the past year now so I don't think he will lead into turn 1. I think it will be The Merc then the Lotus.

What I am finding interesting is Vettel and Button. Both seem to not be able to get in a car and just drive it like their team mates are able to. Shows that some drivers need everything perfect to get up there.
Date: May 27, 2012 10:55AM
Posted by: chet
Did button and massa swap seats? Didn't see qualifying, but the result for jb is terrible...Schumacher pole? Amazing lol. Hoping for a grisjean race, or webber...

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: May 27, 2012 12:50PM
Posted by: loren
gav Wrote:
> Horrible crash for Conor Daly in the GP3 race.
> Shades of Jeff Kronsnoff's sickening crash at
> Toronto.

Yeah, that was very scary. The catch fencing is now the weakest link in terms of safety.

It would also help if the drivers weren't such idiots. I know it's only GP3, but the Russian guy had already lost his rear wing, apparently been given the black and orange flag for three laps, then he blocks Daly about 5 times, and apparently was totally insolent in the stewards office afterwards. Hopefully we won't see him ever again.
loren Wrote:
> gav Wrote:
> -----
> > Horrible crash for Conor Daly in the GP3 race.
> > Shades of Jeff Kronsnoff's sickening crash at
> > Toronto.
>
> Yeah, that was very scary. The catch fencing is
> now the weakest link in terms of safety.
>
> It would also help if the drivers weren't such
> idiots. I know it's only GP3, but the Russian guy
> had already lost his rear wing, apparently been
> given the black and orange flag for three laps,
> then he blocks Daly about 5 times, and apparently
> was totally insolent in the stewards office
> afterwards. Hopefully we won't see him ever again.

Yeah, I think Daly said on twitter that Suranovich had been kicked out...

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
"My ambition is handicapped by laziness" - Charles Bukowski
loren Wrote:
> gav Wrote:
> -----
> > Horrible crash for Conor Daly in the GP3 race.
> > Shades of Jeff Kronsnoff's sickening crash at
> > Toronto.
>
> Yeah, that was very scary. The catch fencing is
> now the weakest link in terms of safety.
>
> It would also help if the drivers weren't such
> idiots. I know it's only GP3, but the Russian guy
> had already lost his rear wing, apparently been
> given the black and orange flag for three laps,
> then he blocks Daly about 5 times, and apparently
> was totally insolent in the stewards office
> afterwards. Hopefully we won't see him ever again.

Just seen that and wow that could have been so much worse... Atleast the catch fencing kept him in the track. What the russian guy was doing with a rear wing moving all over the place like that i will never know...

Did anyone see the start of the GP2 sprint race? Absolute chaos... 10 cars out on 1 lap.

For a list of EVERY download for GP4, look here: [docs.google.com]
Date: May 27, 2012 01:30PM
Posted by: loren
Wow, just saw the GP2 chaos. I'm not sure Monaco is the best place for these young guys to be learning their craft. Although F3 raced there for a long time and I don't remember things getting this dangerous.
Date: May 27, 2012 03:14PM
Incredibly close race! You'd expect the top 6 to be this close after 5 laps, not 50.

Date: May 27, 2012 03:39PM
Woohoo! This'll be a brilliant last few laps. Like last year, but 6 cars instead of 3!

Date: May 27, 2012 03:57PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
Yeah, didn't quite come alive, but still a very tense race!

I wish Ferrari pitted Massa after Schumacher's problem into that big gap and he could've charged home with fresh tyres. He had nothing to lose from doing that, even if it rained.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: May 27, 2012 04:09PM
1.3 seconds covering the top 4. This F1 thing is poor!

Shame that the rain properly arrived just after the race, but those few spots in the last 10 laps really closed things up!
Date: May 27, 2012 04:11PM
Posted by: Isaint
History or no?
Does any one know if this is true?

Quote;Dan-Radu Hădărean
Actually, in 1951, both Fangio and Farina were named winners due to a shared drive, providing 7 winners and 6 different winners in the first 6 races of the season

" Perfection is not a gift ....... it comes with practice."

Member of R.S.C.T Group

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2012 04:13PM by Isaint.
Date: May 27, 2012 04:12PM
History or know?
Does any one no if this is true?

Quote;Dan-Radu Hădărean
Actually, in 1951, both Fangio and Farina were named winners due to a shared drive, providing 7 winners and 6 different winners in the first 6 races of the season

Member of R.S.C.T Group
Date: May 27, 2012 04:18PM
Yep, it's true. Ascari won in the 6th and 7th races, ending that run.

Just like to say that Kovalainen and Glock should be credited for fantastic races. Glock fell away a little towards the end, but around the first stops, he was still just 3-4 seconds behind Button.
Date: May 27, 2012 04:31PM
Pleased for Mark Webber. It's nice to see because this guy can really drive and he's probably the coolest driver on the grid.
Mclaren really struggling (change of contract time for Lewis I'd imagine) Jenson not having a good day. Strong drives from Nico and Fernando, good recovery and strategy for Sebastian.
Shame for Michael ... what is with the Mercedes team when it comes to this guy’s car? What is it the fifth D.N.F Not all down to the team, some his own mistakes but boy, how much bad luck can you have.
Not a great race for me seemed pretty predictable ... only the threat of rain really looked to change things but that did not really happen to any climatic degree.
All an all another tyre deciding race, with no one really being able to push to the max.
Mercedes, Nick Fry is quoted as saying that yes, ‘on one hand the tyres make the racing fairly unpredictable but on the other hand we need to still keep the racing exciting’?

B.T.W Yes great drive from those two Kovalainen and Glock.

Member of R.S.C.T Group

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2012 04:39PM by Isaint.
Have a look at the link gav has there for wiki, scroll down to "1951 World Championship of Drivers final standings" and then look at how many US drivers got amongst the US race, and subsequently retired......Yes it's more than 60 years ago and things were different back then, but it made me lol
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy