> out as a trophy. I know F1 is sponsor driven,but
> it's such offensively brazen advertising, nothing
> is sacred in f1. Vettel must have about twenty
> identical trophies on his mantelpiece. They could
> have the logo engraved onto it or something
> instead....
> I'd be pretty peeved if I kept being given those
> abominations.

Remember all those Marlboro steering wheels? Those were a hell of a lot worse.

Seriously though, the rules say the trophies must be "in the form of traditional cups". You can't hold liquid in a Santander logo. Come on FIA, either enforce the rules or change them.
Re: 2012 Spanish Grand Prix Thread ***SPOILERS***
Date: May 13, 2012 10:41PM
Posted by: EC83
loque Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Has anyone else got this niggling doubt that what
> we're seeing is somehow not authentic?
>
>
> Hmmmm.

It's no more un-authentic than 1997, 2003 and 2005 were.

Date: May 13, 2012 11:01PM
Posted by: Toki
I was thinking the whole time of the year 1997, this race had something nostalgic ;) Ferrari vs Williams Renault, only without Schumacher and Villeneuve.

I'm still speechless :-o the second race that I've really enjoyed (after Malaysia)

The Real Story of the Race was that the Renault's fell apart and the Ferrari's didn't.
Rosberg headed for the sliproad and retired, probably because of Nicotin starvation they have still not given him a helmet with a little hole in it.
2012 Spanish Grand Prix Thread ***SPOILERS***
Date: May 14, 2012 09:09AM
Posted by: alexf1man
loren Wrote:
> salvasirignano Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > It really disgusts me how at every Grand Prix sponsored by Santander they have their logo given out as a trophy. I know F1 is sponsor driven,but it's such offensively brazen advertising,
> > nothing is sacred in f1. Vettel must have about twenty identical trophies on his mantelpiece. They could have the logo engraved onto it or something instead....
> > I'd be pretty peeved if I kept being given those abominations.
>
> Remember all those Marlboro steering wheels? Those were a hell of a lot worse.
>
> Seriously though, the rules say the trophies must be "in the form of traditional cups". You can't hold liquid in a Santander logo. Come on FIA, either enforce the rules or change them.

This, along with the situation over Bahrain have once again confirmed that money is the number 1 priority.
Date: May 14, 2012 10:46AM
Posted by: chet
I thought such trophies were banned??!! They are hardly trophies! Why haven't the drivers said anything? If you're Vettel you must be pretty pissed off, he's won so many races in the last 3 seasons that he will have so many similar looking trophies! They wont be special in a few years because he won't know which is which! Anyone who has watched the F1 legend stuff on Sky will see some of the trophy room's the guys have are amazing, each trophy is individual.

As for the question of how authentic is the racing... Well, they all deal with the same issues, same rubber. As it's been mentioned, 97 is a similar example. Take the obvious race, Hungary 97. That Arrows was really not good... at all. Yet at Hungary in Hill's hands in hot weather it was pretty dominant!

People forget that tyres have always been the #1 factor for a car's pace.

The difference today is that we have several teams who are close on pace, look at the Q2 at Barcelona. Was it a 0.1 from 5th to 11th or something like that? Not only that but we have drivers in top cars, spread evenly across top teams. Then we have exceptionally good drivers in OK cars, like Perez... We also have teams who are these days are as professional as each other with similar equipment and tools available. That has not always been the case.

It's all too easy to point at just the tyres but theres a lot to look at, and the spread of driver talent across top teams, and of course the tightness of the top teams has been an equally large factor in deciding races this year.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: May 14, 2012 11:32AM
Posted by: danm
What is more remarkable about this race was that there weren't really any super weird events. No safety car. No rain. No exceptional oddity.

Maldonado owned this weekend from Qualifying onwards. Much like Vettel at Monza, and we all know what that did for his maturity.

I am not saying Maldonado is suddenly going to be a multiple world champion overnight.

I liked him before, there is something very JPMontoya about him and his driving style. He is a racer, a real fighter with emotion. I like that, he isn't a corporate doll like Lewis is.

But to follow up that qualifying session with a flat out storming win; whilst still being a relative F1 rookie; having a teammate who was nowhere at all; with Alonso chasing down on your back AND in a Williams that isn't the best car in the field. That's special.

A very good maiden win. And a brilliant podium photo on Kimi and Nandos shoulders - really amusing!

Speaking of Kimi, how long until he wins this year? It's a case of when, and not if. Only 3 and a bit seconds off at the finish line. Imagine what a few more laps could have done!? The Kimster has lost none of his edge! :D

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
Date: May 14, 2012 11:49AM
Posted by: J i m
It days like this (except the fire, that was nasty) that makes me feel good for never deserting Williams. Once a Williams fan always a Williams fan. But dammit I'd actually given up all hope of them ever winning another grandprix so you could imagine that I'm deliriously happy to be proved wrong. I just hope they don't make us wait another 8 years for the next one :P

What's more.. It was a relatively normal race (Pirelli mix up aside) and the only question mark is if Hamilton would have been too much to contain from pole, his drive was also excellent but Pastor took on argubably the best all rounder in F1 (Alonso) and beat him fair and square, it was a throughly deserved win. Good finish by Kimi as well.. The tension created by the slight variation in stint length and tyre life of the top three made for a very tense finish, as a Williams fan I felt like I was shitting a brick.

Good race all in all, not the most exciting this year, but as Barcelona races go it was a corker, some good moves out there notably by Kobayashi who I envisage simply screams "BaaAAAAARRRRGHAHAHAHAHAHAH" inside his helmet and then banzai!

McLaren really need to sort out their mistakes, they've squandered a lot of points this year already and Button also needs to sort himself out his form has evapourated the last 2 races.

so, when massa hit schumacher in canada 2010, burndle was saying "you have to treat schumacher's back like the back of a donkey". Yet, when senna does it to shcumacher, schuey is the one getting absolutely RIDICULOUS penalties. Insane. Real shame on the stewards. And i bet, had it been schumacher instead of rosberg in bahrain, he would have had a 18681768721687 grid drop penalties.
Date: May 14, 2012 07:54PM
Posted by: Slash
danm Wrote:
> What is more remarkable about this race was that
> there weren't really any super weird events. No
> safety car. No rain. No exceptional oddity.
>
> Maldonado owned this weekend from Qualifying
> onwards. Much like Vettel at Monza, and we all
> know what that did for his maturity.
>
> I am not saying Maldonado is suddenly going to be
> a multiple world champion overnight.
>
> I liked him before, there is something very
> JPMontoya about him and his driving style. He is a
> racer, a real fighter with emotion. I like that,
> he isn't a corporate doll like Lewis is.
>
> But to follow up that qualifying session with a
> flat out storming win; whilst still being a
> relative F1 rookie; having a teammate who was
> nowhere at all; with Alonso chasing down on your
> back AND in a Williams that isn't the best car in
> the field. That's special.
>
> A very good maiden win. And a brilliant podium
> photo on Kimi and Nandos shoulders - really
> amusing!
>
> Speaking of Kimi, how long until he wins this
> year? It's a case of when, and not if. Only 3 and
> a bit seconds off at the finish line. Imagine what
> a few more laps could have done!? The Kimster has
> lost none of his edge! :D

yeah Kimi's been very good from the go
the thing is, Lotus are being carefull with their strategy, but they're still being competitive.
with nowadays tyres you can approach races 2 ways, imo

A) position the car as front as posible (but suffer consequences in the end like Kimi in China)
B) aim to keep operating the car on maximum performance to the end, but you risk ending behind cars who choose the first strategy

it's easy to point out the wrong strategy after the race, wrong in theory, but nobody knew exactly how well Williams and Ferrari were going to keep their tyres, Kimi still finished 3 secs behind the winner so it wasn't as bad as it looked.

they certainly have a quick car, capable of winning several races by now, but imo they just need to be a bit more agressive on their strategy, just a bit more, take the chance, if they keep playing safe, the teams around will not and it will be down to luck to win. but still that formula is giving them a constant performance on both cars so they're constanty scoring good points
Date: May 14, 2012 09:20PM
I think Lotus are just really weary of what happened in China! Kimi went from a strong result to be being passed by 6/7 cars in 5/6 corners.

The strategy at Barcelona was probably too conservative, a lap or two earlier and he could have won. But I think what Lotus expected was the Ferrari and Williams to slow each other up with on track battling. Or at least they expected both car's to fall of the pace like Alonso did. That wasn't the case and it almost appeared as if Pastor had sand bagged most of the race and simply controlled the final stint, maybe going faster if need be?

Date: May 14, 2012 10:18PM
Posted by: marcl
Lotus made the same mistake as many and put the softs on for the 2nd stint had they used the hards maybe they would have been closer.
Date: May 14, 2012 10:48PM
Posted by: rapid_f1
put alonso in the best car and he imo would walk away with the title. How hes joint cchamphionship leader just shows how good that guy is and how hes overperformed.

I.Tz No Problem
For all your home and business I.T needs
[www.itznoproblem.com]
enquiry@itznoproblem.com
Saying that, though, many many drivers have impressed me this year. Before the first race, when I was looking at the list of drivers, I thought to myself "except for two or three people, every single person on the grid genuinely deserves their place", those exceptions being Kartikayan and (as much as it pains me to say) Massa. The grid has so much talent on it this year, it's unbelievable! It was almost like looking at the dream grid.

I think people underestimate how big an effect confidence can have. To me, it explains the rise of Webber in 2010, the fall of Massa, Hamilton's off-colour last few years, the way Schumacher and Rosberg seem to be quicker than each other at some races, and even Maldonado this year. I never write-off a driver from one or two bad performances, so I never really saw the negativity towards certain drivers. Again I think most of the time people are too quick to shout "he's a $%!£ driver, what's he doing in F1" when in reality he's just having a bad day in the (very exotic) office...

On the subject of the race, though, Red Sam you could not have picked a better race to watch live! This was the first time for a very long time that I've been so nervous watching a race, since Brazil 2008 I'd say. I was shaking and squeeling like a little girl in the closing laps, and panicking when Maldonado had to pass traffic!

It's pure magic! Only F1 could do this to you.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You know you want to. [judgegrudge.mybrute.com]
Date: May 15, 2012 08:50AM
Posted by: J i m
He handled that final stint superbly. He overtook Kimi when it mattered and knowing that Alonso was on fresher tyres he paced himself brilliantly. He let Alonso close in but never let him get close enough to make a move by making sure he was fast enough in the right places and he also handled the lapped traffic very well, it'd only have taken the slightest of fumbles and Alonso would have been through like a rocket.

Who'd have thought it eh? Maldonaldo in a Williams, lapping a Red Bull on his way to victory. I bet some jammy bastard made a killing at the bookies.

Date: May 15, 2012 09:37AM
I guess its like they all say... These drivers have been winner's in everything upto F1... For the most part, they are most comfortable leading from the front because that's what they've done most of their careers. Jenson and Nico good examples of that. Leading a GP is the natural place for these drivers.

just read the ANDREW BENSON's bloge on the bbc home page. He underlines the fact that schumacher is a mediocre driver. Now i am a big schuey fan so please, as neutral, explain this to me. How can a driver, who is either as fast as his team mate, or faster in 4 out of 5 races (china was nico's i think, although we did not see nico's and michael's pace on the harder tyres). bUTTON, grosjean and webber are consistantly behind their team mates and i mean over 20-30-40 seconds per race slower. Nobody mentions anything. I really think schumacher is doing a great job, together with nico both are really the best combo for mercedes for now i think.

Whats your view on that ?
Date: May 16, 2012 06:11PM
Firstly Button, Webber and Grosjean consistently 20, 30, 40 seconds behind their team mates?

Button beat Lewis last year, and the two podiums Button has this year are better than the podiums Lewis has got. Webber almost beat his team mate to the title in 2010, lost the plot in 2011 possibly due to car development, but he is certainly back to a better level this year. Grosjean, well we've had only a few races to judge but in the races they've finished together he was about 10 seconds down in Spain, and 7 down in Bahrain. And of course they're about equal on qualifying with Grosjean arguably the more consistent.

Schumacher is not mediocre, but Webber, Button and Grosjean are that far from their team mates.

mitadumapaga Wrote:
> just read the ANDREW BENSON's bloge on the bbc
> home page. He underlines the fact that schumacher
> is a mediocre driver. Now i am a big schuey fan so
> please, as neutral, explain this to me. How can a
> driver, who is either as fast as his team mate, or
> faster in 4 out of 5 races (china was nico's i
> think, although we did not see nico's and
> michael's pace on the harder tyres). bUTTON,
> grosjean and webber are consistantly behind their
> team mates and i mean over 20-30-40 seconds per
> race slower. Nobody mentions anything. I really
> think schumacher is doing a great job, together
> with nico both are really the best combo for
> mercedes for now i think.
>
> Whats your view on that ?

He doesn't actually say he's mediocre, here's the quote on the first bit:

'A senior member of the Mercedes team used the word "mediocre" last weekend when discussing the 43-year-old's driving, and that was before Schumacher clumsily ran into the back of Senna's car in the race.'

I agree with Chet on the matter, Webber, Button and Grosjean have done well next to their team-mates.

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
"My ambition is handicapped by laziness" - Charles Bukowski
Date: May 17, 2012 02:28AM
Posted by: Slash
Schumacher dissapointed me in Spain but that was it.. he seems quicker than he's been ever since he returned, but scoring just 2 points?
ok Asutralia and China were beyond his control, in Malaysia he beated Rosberg despite ending up dead last after Grosjean super smart move and in Bahrein he was handicaped due to the Qualy fiasco... (not a strong enough lap?), but i knew he was in trouble in Spain when he had to fight Senna, not because Senna's huge talent to race people, but because he seems desperate to redeem those bad results and inevitably it ended up costing him dearly...

i'm sure he'll be better but i think is safe to assume that the season is lost for him, to recover that much lost ground is almost impossible.

but to say he's mediocre?, i know he has 2 points same as Massa but Michael's been way better than Massa tbh...

btw Massa received an ultimatum after the Spanish gp.. i might stand corrected, he'll probably wont finish the season
Date: May 19, 2012 06:02PM
Posted by: marcl
From whats been said in Italy Massa has until the British GP to improve or he will be replaced.

There have also been stores that Bruno might be replaced at Williams in a few races. He has hit or been hit at every single race this year.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy