2012 Chinese Grand Prix Thread ***SPOILERS***

Posted by madotter 
Mortal's right, we are incredibly off topic. So I shall be the first to comment on topic.

I think that after what happened in Malaysia, Perez is going to have a decent run in the race. One of my predictions are that on the last lap, Hamilton, Button, Webber and Vettel are fighting for the lead (though I actually doubt it) and that Hamilton goes too hard into a corner and accidently takes out Vettel. Now, don't get me wrong I LOVE Hamilton, but that's what I'm thinking. The Top 10 IMO might look like this:

1: Jenson Button
2: Mark Webber
3: Fernando Alonso
4: Kimi Raikkonen
5: Bruno Senna
6: Sergio Perez
7: Roman Grosjean
8: Kamui Kobayashi
9: Daniel Riccardo
10: Jean-Eric Verne
Re: 2012 Chinese Grand Prix Thread ***SPOILERS***
Date: April 08, 2012 12:41PM
Posted by: J i m
I think depending on a "normal" dry race it'll be between McLaren and Red Bull and maybe Kimi.

I'd expect the winner to be Hamilton because so far he's been mature (on the track at least). Button is probably a shoe in for a podium as long as he continues to qualify within a couple of tenths of Hamilton and on the front row. But I think the actual race could be finely poised between both McLarens and Red Bull, Kimi could be a factor if he has no issues during practice etc, Grosjean is a question mark.

I think the second half of the top ten should be a battle of strategy between Alonso, the Williams & Saubers and Grosjean if he can manage to avoid retiring in the first couple of laps.

Force India and Sauber can get points if they take advantage of any more inconsistency by the likes of Maldonaldo, Senna, Grosjean etc.

I don't expect Mercedes will have got on top of their tyre wear issues, but they should qualify fairly well.

If it rains it'd be another lottery. I don't think we can reley on the same conditions as Malaysia but also Button is no longer the automatic favourite in Changanle conditions due to his struggles to get the Pirelli inters to work for him at Malaysia.

Good post Jim, but one thing is wrong.

Senna hasn't been inconsistant. In Melbourne, he finished the race (unlike his team-mate who crashed on the final lap) and he out raced him in Malaysia, scoring himself 8 points to be in 8th in the championship at the current moment. He has done very well thus far and is starting to show why Ayrton said "If you think I'm fast, wait until you see my nephew."
Date: April 08, 2012 01:39PM
Well he didn't quite finish at Melbourne. They retired the car a few laps after his merry go round with Massa, his race up until then was compromised by the first lap accident (probably not his fault) but he was fairly ordinary afterwards. At Malaysia a first lap crash with Maldonaldo (almost certainly his fault) but granted his performance there after was excellent. He needs to up his game in qualifying a bit.. And like Grosjean he needs to avoid accidents in the first lap.

True, Senna has pace in Q1: Top 10, but in Q2, he's always outside the Top 10.
J i m Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> :OFF TOPIC: There are reports that Argetina is set
> to sign a 3 year deal and it will be on a street
> circuit.
>
> :ON TOPIC: if you were Kimi, what would be the
> Chinese take-away of your choice to enjoy during
> the race stoppage?

Beef noodle soup, followed by a trailerload of egg fried rice...

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
"My ambition is handicapped by laziness" - Charles Bukowski
Date: April 09, 2012 01:46PM
Posted by: EC83
In fairness, it's difficult to stay on topic all the time when the race is still a week away and another topic close to our hearts has come up :P Not that I'm meaning to whinge, having complained vocally about the lack of enthusiasm and short thread length in the past!

So yeah, back on topic :P
Plenty of rain would be nice, something like 2006 maybe. With a field this close I think that would produce some crazy results! It'd be pretty boring if it was a dry one, with the tyres having been improved so much since last year.

EC83 Wrote:
> In fairness, it's difficult to stay on topic all
> the time when the race is still a week away and
> another topic close to our hearts has come up :P
> Not that I'm meaning to whinge, having complained
> vocally about the lack of enthusiasm and short
> thread length in the past!
>
> So yeah, back on topic :P
> Plenty of rain would be nice, something like 2006
> maybe. With a field this close I think that would
> produce some crazy results! It'd be pretty boring
> if it was a dry one, with the tyres having been
> improved so much since last year.

In the perfect world, I hoped it rained and Senna won because I'm a huge Bruno and Ayrton fan :P But truely, I think in the rain, Raikkonen or Perez could be a factor
Date: April 10, 2012 03:19PM
Posted by: RenaultFan
Im looking forward to China. I like the track for some reason, plus we might not see f1 after this for a month because I have a feeling there not going to Bahrain.
Date: April 10, 2012 05:30PM
Posted by: Anonymous User
Yeah, no Bahrain I'm thinking.

All in favour of decending on Macau for a non-champ race instead? :D
Date: April 12, 2012 07:09PM
Posted by: Slash
Lotus protested formally Mercedes rear wing and.... they got bitchslapped in their face!

Autosport
The full Mercedes decision by the FIA

Having examined the evidence presented, the Stewards DECIDE unanimously that the Protest is DISMISSED.

The grounds for this decision are:

1. There are many different parts of bodywork fitted to cars from a variety of teams, which have been designed specifically to take advantage of the change in airflow caused by the activation of the DRS.

2. The modifications on Cars 7 and 8 are examples of the above.

3. The Mercedes design complies with all bodywork geometric and stiffness regulations.

4. The design is entirely passive and has no moving parts whatsoever.

5. The sole purpose of the "DRS" (or the "system" as referred to in the regulations) as stated in Article 3.18.3, is to improve overtaking. The Mercedes design is completely consistent with this objective.

6. . Noting the agreement of Lotus that "if the hole currently located in the rear end plate was located elsewhere and permanently exposed, this would be acceptable", there is no reason why the locating of the hole is the current position on Cars 7 and 8 should not also be acceptable. 7. In relation to the 5 questions posed by Lotus, all 5 of which Lotus assert (and the Stewards agree) if answered in the affirmative, would rule the vehicles ineligible;

(i) Article 3.15 does not apply because it does not directly use driver movement, as a means of altering the aerodynamic characteristics of the car. The alteration is indirectly (and not directly) consequential to the movement of the driver adjustable bodywork ("DRS";)

(ii) The second question posed is not relevant in light of (i) above

(iii) The Mercedes design is not a "system" or "device" in its own right, it is part of a design made to take advantage of the change in airflow caused by the activation of the DRS (refer 1 above)

(iv) The Mercedes design is not activated by driver movement. It is a consequence of a change of position of the driver adjustable bodywork, which is permitted under the regulations.

(v) The Mercedes design does appear to alter the aerodynamic characteristics of the car by reducing the drag, however this is consistent with the intent of the regulations.

Accordingly not all of the 5 questions can be answered in the affirmative and therefore do not form successful grounds for the upholding of the protest.

Further, and distinct from the grounds above, the protest is dismissed on the grounds that the FIA confirmed the assertion of the Mercedes team that it had, in accordance with Article 2.4 and/or 2.5 of the F1 Technical Regulations, sought clarification from the FIA Formula One Technical Department concerning this matter and the FIA confirmed that the Mercedes design had been deemed permissible.

All parties are reminded of their Right of Appeal.

hopefully Mrecedes can improve the system now and they let this subject to rest. bring on the exhaust, lol

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2012 07:11PM by Slash.
2012 Chinese Grand Prix Thread ***SPOILERS***
Date: April 12, 2012 07:26PM
Posted by: alexf1man
Haha Lotus (or whatever you want to call them now, maybe Genii) got owned!

SPOILERS: Hamilton will not start on pole for the 2012 Chinese GP, due to a gearbox change.
Lotus Cars have been mouthing off, releasing a tirade upon Tony Fernandes and Joe Saward amongst others via their Facebook page.

[www.facebook.com]

Lopez (who owns the team) says the sponsorship deal's off, GL (who don't own the team) claim otherwise. Bahar's men have really shot themselves in the foot here...

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
"My ambition is handicapped by laziness" - Charles Bukowski
Date: April 12, 2012 08:16PM
Posted by: Slash
saw that yesterday, i taught it was a joke, the most unprofessional thing i've ever read in my life. i taught they were at least a serious company.

EPIC FAIL

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2012 08:17PM by Slash.
Date: April 12, 2012 08:29PM
Posted by: Morbid
Slash Wrote:
> Lotus protested formally Mercedes rear wing
> and.... they got bitchslapped in their face!

Serves them right too. The design hasn't changed, the FIA has not changed their stance, and they have not changed their arguments. If you keep on like that it is called whining. You are going to get hammered sooner or later. It is just a matter of time before you have systematically exhausted the patience of the members of the governing body.

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2012 08:29PM by Morbid.
Date: April 12, 2012 11:29PM
I think to some extent they're still feeling sore regarding their trick active suspension thing which got banned before it even raced after a year of them being told it was ok. But yeah sour grapes indeed.

Group Lotus have pretty much been the biggest PR embarrassment in F1 for a few years now and the amount of motor-sport projects they're supposedly involved with now with out actually money to back it up is staggering. Still... They've again effectively got free sponsorship in F1... Unless Lopez does something hilarious and rebrands as Toleman.

Date: April 13, 2012 12:00PM
Posted by: Anonymous User
Hmm disappointing form from Lotus so far :/ and LOL Massa.

1 Schumacher Mercedes 1'35.973
2 Hamilton McLaren 1'36.145
3 Vettel Red Bull 1'36.160
4 Webber Red Bull 1'36.433
5 Rosberg Mercedes 1'36.617
6 Button McLaren 1'36.711
7 Kobayashi Sauber 1'36.956
8 di Resta FI 1'36.966
9 Hülkenberg FI 1'37.191
10 Alonso Ferrari 1'37.316
11 Perez Sauber 1'37.417
12 Ricciardo STR 1'37.616
13 Räikkönen Lotus 1'37.836
14 Vergne STR 1'37.930
15 Grosjean Lotus 1'37.972
16 Maldonado Williams 1'38.176
17 Massa Ferrari 1'38.293
18 Senna Williams 1'38.783
19 Kovalainen Caterham 1'38.990
20 Petrov Caterham 1'39.346
21 Glock Marussia 1'39.651
22 de la Rosa HRT 1'40.343
23 Pic Marussia 1'40.753
24 Karthikeyan HRT 1'41.125
Date: April 13, 2012 04:47PM
Did anyone pay attention to the long run laptimes this morning? I had to miss the practice because I had to be rested for work.. So I haven't seen the action alongside the live-timing. Just wondered if anyone picked up some patterns that won't show up in the final lap time charts.

Date: April 13, 2012 05:45PM
Posted by: marcl
Yep.

Lewis and Button were in the 1:42's the rest were in the 1:43's.

Mclaren seem to have about 2 to 3 tenths advantage. But we have no idea what the fuel loads were.

The difference was for the Mclaren drivers it looked easy the rest were pushing harder.
Date: April 13, 2012 06:12PM
Cheers... And other cars look reasonably strong... As in a midfielder such as a Lotus, Sauber, Williams giving Red Bull things to think about?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy