I reckon the semi final teams will be:
Sheffield United
Manchester United
West Bromwich Albion
Barnsley (A guy can dream, can't he?)
Re: FA Cup
Date: February 21, 2008 11:16PM
Posted by: gareth
Do they do the draw for the semis after the quarters, or is the path to the final already planned - i.e. could it end up being Chelsea v Man U in one semi and Cardiff v Bristol in the other if the draw is determined randomly aftre the quarters, or are Chelsea & Man U placed on opposite sides of the draw?
Date: February 21, 2008 11:46PM
Posted by: gav
It's drawn randomly after the first weekend of games (which is why some games are X or Y vs Z, as obviously some games are a draw needing a replay).
Date: February 23, 2008 06:09PM
Posted by: Guimengo
So, this may not have to do with FA Cup but it's British footy.

Will that butcher, Taylor, from Birmingham, be suspended for at least 6 months? He should be fined and be forced to sit out for the same amount of time as Eduardo will be out.

Part of my post edited by one of the modders (don't blame mal here, he's innocent!) who clearly doesn't know much of what goes on, eh Marc.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2008 10:16PM by Guimengo.
Date: February 23, 2008 07:56PM
Posted by: Gaulty
As a Spurs fan, I will say it was an unacceptable challenge, no one should suffer from that. He should be banned for 6 months, but won't. It will be a simple 3 matches, maybe moved up to 6 matches if the FA sees fit.

Edit - But after looking at the challenge again, Taylor was a bit unfortunate, Edurado (can't spell it) simply beat him with pace. It was a red, but not a huge suspension.

Team Owner of ItalianEnglish Dynamics in GPG Super League
GP4 Season 5: 7) Jethro Walters. 8) Zsigmond Somogyi. TD) Stuart Ingers and Joel Henrique
GP3 Season 5: 14) Nathan Turner. 15) Tobias Kederer.
6 Time Race Winners

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2008 01:39PM by Gaulty.
Date: February 23, 2008 08:29PM
Yeah because all over the world the crap players are resorting to violence to stop those who can actually play.

Michel Salgado broke Juninho's leg back when he played for Atl. Madrid, Sávio had his ankle destroyed at Real Madrid, and before he left he had a major injury in Brazil too. Zico was doing physiotherapy during the 86 World Cup to try to recover from a criminal challenge he suffered in Brazil. Marco van Basten retired because of the defenders causing all his knee injuries. FIFA is run by a bunch of pricks who, if ever played football, were very crap at it. João Havelange didn't play and was their president for 28 years, Joseph Blatter... a Swiss out of all people?

edit-

words from Àrsene Wenger: the tackle was horrible and this young man should never play football again. This kind of challenge was just waiting to happen to one of our players. I've seen some bad tackles, but not always they end up with broken legs. You only need to kill once. This cannot be accepted in a football pitch.

Picture of Eduardo lying on the pitch: [globoesporte.globo.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2008 08:50PM by Guimengo.
Date: February 23, 2008 09:24PM
Posted by: sasjag
i dont think the tackle was that bad tbh, i've definatly seen worse. yeah, he went in with studs showing and over the ball, but it didnt appear as if he threw the weight of his whole body into the tackle, and it certainly didnt look as though he had malicious intent. it deserves a red and a 3 match ban,its just unfortunate that the outcome was such an horendous injury

Sim

All Hail The New York Giants - Winners of Superbowl XXI, XXV and XLII!

"I'd love to know what goes on in that crazy head of yours sometimes, Sim..." - Locke Cole
Date: February 23, 2008 09:30PM
Posted by: iCeMaN pAuL
ouch that looks bad

in other news, man u close the gap to 3 points :D

also, norwich city won their match 1-0 and move up to 12th in the championship :P

[en-gb.facebook.com]
Date: February 23, 2008 10:23PM
sasjag Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> i dont think the tackle was that bad tbh, i've
> definatly seen worse. yeah, he went in with studs
> showing and over the ball, but it didnt appear as
> if he threw the weight of his whole body into the
> tackle, and it certainly didnt look as though he
> had malicious intent. it deserves a red and a 3
> match ban,its just unfortunate that the outcome
> was such an horendous injury

If no one tries to give deserving punishment to these then football will keep losing as you get targeted for being talented. Playing here in the US I suffered a similar tackle, but I just managed to lift my right foot so it would not get stuck on the ground. Despite my foot being free in the air I suffered a severe high ankle sprain that took nearly 3 months to heal. Ref only gave a foul because the ball went out by the sideline. I had to keep playing and put some duct tape around my ankle, and the same for the next day.
Date: February 23, 2008 10:49PM
Posted by: Gaulty
Guimengo Wrote:
> If no one tries to give deserving punishment to
> these then football will keep losing as you get
> targeted for being talented.

Agreed, but the problem will come when defining a bad tackle. What is bad and what is truly punishable.

Team Owner of ItalianEnglish Dynamics in GPG Super League
GP4 Season 5: 7) Jethro Walters. 8) Zsigmond Somogyi. TD) Stuart Ingers and Joel Henrique
GP3 Season 5: 14) Nathan Turner. 15) Tobias Kederer.
6 Time Race Winners
Re: FA Cup and general Premiership talk
Date: February 23, 2008 11:58PM
Posted by: Ianwoollam
Saw this live and Sky Sports wouldn't show the replay, after seeing the replay on Match of the Day afterwards I've seen why, truly hurrendus :( I'm with Sim on this, i've seen alot worse takles in English football and really Eduardo was just too fast for Taylor, commited to the tackle when the ball was there and resulted in a clumsy tackle, It deffo wasn't malicious intent. In the end like everything in life its just came down to luck, and Eduardo was seriously unlucky.

Also Arsene Wenger has apparantly retracted his statement - [news.bbc.co.uk]

PSN/Xbox 360 ID - Ianwoollam

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2008 01:56AM by Ianwoollam.
Date: February 24, 2008 01:42AM
Guimengo Wrote:
> So, this may not have to do with FA Cup but it's
> British footy.
>
> Will that butcher, Taylor, from Birmingham, be
> suspended for at least 6 months? He should be
> fined and be forced to sit out for the same amount
> of time as Eduardo will be out. Let's see you
> justify the play, Gav.

What the @#$%& has this got to do with me?

Ian said it himself. Wenger himself has retracted his statement. I @#$%& well hope you retract yours too. Post reported.
Date: February 24, 2008 03:41AM
Haha, reported? You're the one who says that I exaggerate on fouls, and you seem to always be against me.
Date: February 24, 2008 11:49AM
So this is personal then? You've responded to a personal aggravation that never existed in the first place? A preemptive attack. Sweet.

Don't ever confuse me defending our more physical approach with condoning career-threatening fouls. You have seen nothing to suggest I would defend it and frankly, I think it was an unsubstantiated and sick comment to make. Apparently the mods did too.

For the record, how about your own Brazilian-born, bred and inspired golden boy and the studs-first foul he made on Nani's thigh the week before? I presume that doesn't matter, as it doesn't suit you and the point you're trying to make?
Date: February 24, 2008 01:16PM
Posted by: TC
Suspended for 6 months for a miss timed tackle? Don't be so stupid. Perhaps 3 of Arsenal's players should also be banned for 6 months for kicking Nani's legs and sliding in with studs raised, aiming to take out the player. The only difference is his leg didn't break and Eduardo's did.

Thing's like this can happen, that is why they are so highly paid. Because one bad injury and their career could be over.

EDIT: Just for the record, this could have happened in any league anywhere in the world, I remember Cisses leg breaking just because he got caught at a bit of a bad angle from a standing challenge. The only reason such a big deal has been made out of this is because Arsene Wenger's overreaction. Which he has now apologised for.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2008 01:22PM by TC.
Date: February 24, 2008 10:21PM
I didn't see these other games, I checked a newspaper online and it said that, then I saw it. Everyone knows I am against anything dirty in the game, I posted numerous times about it. I won't go reporting happy like gav though, it's silly. If a player does something like that the referee better protect the others, and the aggressor shall be punished accordingly, regardless of his team. Today was the final of the 1st half of the Brazilian Rio State Championship, a player from my own team was stupid (no foul, just got into silly argument over picking up the ball to restart the game that escalated), and I was already calling for his red. Then this Argentinian guy went with both cleats up on the shin of a Flamengo player, brutal challenge that was overlooked by the ref, the whole game filled with unnecessary fouls because the ref can't control it. I fully expect him to get reprimended by the federation.
Date: February 24, 2008 10:31PM
Posted by: Imran
COME ON YOU SPURS!!!!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: February 24, 2008 11:56PM
Guimengo Wrote:
> I won't go reporting happy like gav though, it's silly.

Yeah, because I report people all the time me. Pretty much every hour. Well, once a year. Same thing. Frankly what you said was completely out of order and had absolutely no relevance whatsoever to the topic you were discussing. It was a preemtive unsubstantiated attack for no other reason than to get someone else as worked up as you.

Regarding the foul, you appear to have little knowledge of what the game is about outside of players from your own continent, and certainly the less public games unless someone or something draws your attention to it. Your apparent lack of knowledge shines through when you go making completely empty claims about one of your own (or one who used to be your own) without any real background information from either pre or post match, either at the topic at hand or otherwise.

In this case refereeing has got absolutely nothing to do with it. It's the law of the governing body that he is obeying...
Date: February 25, 2008 12:24AM
This case was not referee at all, the guy came out with the red right away, it is governing body. Was a careless tackle, the guy went to step over the reach the ball but was too slow and completely forgot to think that Eduardo was going to touch the ball again, pretty much no notion of future play. I highly doubt he MEANT to do it (really hope so), was unfortunate but especially for Eduardo who may never play the same again as it's been the case a couple of times. If the guy gets the hook for longer than a simple red card perhaps people will finally be aware of the damage they can cause. It doesn't matter what team the guy plays for , or who it is, what matters is preventing as best as possible these serious injuries from happening.

edit:

This is a small clip of a couple of images, you just see the high foot on the shin, and 2 images later.

&feature=bz301">
&feature=bz301" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2008 12:43AM by Guimengo.
Date: February 25, 2008 12:59AM
So you want a scapegoat?

This wasn't any really any different to the incident that ended David Busst's career a good 10 years back (you won't know about that - it's more than my memory's worth to remember it in the first place). Accidents always happen. The bloke's got to live with that for the rest of his life as well, and only because he mistimed or misjudged a challenge. That's how fine a line it was. It's got nothing to do with how dirty a game it is. This happens around the world. I can't recall the Premiership's having a broken leg since Djibril Cisse in 2004. I'm sure the top Brazilian League have had equally bad challenges in the meantime, just as we have...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy