England Vs Portugal *Spoilers*

Posted by Covfan 
Re: England Vs Portugal *Spoilers*
Date: July 01, 2006 09:35PM
Posted by: Muks_C
jeez, what excuses for the penalty missers. it's their whole job, their whole life, to kick the ball in the net, that is the only reason for their existence. so he had to take it again, the goal is a huge target to aim for. how about doing the trick where you pretend to kick it, pause so the keeper moves, then you kick it the opposite way. it can't be that hard from that distance, they are professionals after all.

@ Zep, yeah Wimbledon will be good once Tim starts playing. when is his first match? not seen his name on the listings anywhere.

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
Date: July 01, 2006 09:36PM
Posted by: matt3454
yeah and well done for make carragher retake his pen... bloody argie ref. where are the russian linesmen when you need them?

Date: July 01, 2006 09:37PM
Posted by: matt3454
> @ Zep, yeah Wimbledon will be good once Tim starts playing. when is
> his first match? not seen his name on the listings anywhere.

he got knocked out, another english man who cant deliver.

Now we only have a scot to cheer on...

Date: July 01, 2006 09:38PM
Posted by: turkey_machine
Well, they put us through 3 f***ing hours of agony and f*** it up on penalties!!!! Nothing new there then...

Only saving grace was that they would've probably played Brazil in the next round, and they'd have definitely lost that one!

Did anybody watch Doctor Who afterwards though? It's gonna be a big one for the final episode!

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10; indeed, it's a common requirement in fairy tales. If the human didn't have to overcome huge odds, what would be the point? Terry Pratchett - The Science Of Discworld

GPGSL S5 Race driver for IED.

Date: July 01, 2006 09:42PM
yeah i knew Tim went out on tuesday (i think), just joking (see my sig).

and Murray is a BRIT thank you very much, until he loses, THEN you can call him a Scot, just like Canadian Greg Rusedski...;-)

Date: July 01, 2006 09:45PM
Posted by: zeppelin101
I was just about to make that point Muks ;)
Date: July 01, 2006 09:56PM
Posted by: MarcA
gav Wrote:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
> MarcA Wrote:
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > And the other guys didn't deserve it? They grabbed his arms, and
> > pulled him back.
>
> Has anyone ever been shown a straight red for pulling someone back?
>
> Get a grip, and stop being bitter.
>
> We weren't going to win with Rooney on the field, and we performed
> immeasurably better once he'd gone. It went to penalties, and we lost
> fair and square. No excuses. We put in one hell of an effort, and if
> you want to be all patriotic, show some bloody dignity and give them
> the credit they deserved. They were brilliant when down to 10.
>
>
>
> VaderTrophy.com

That wasn't all down to Wayne, if you listened to Shearer and co. at half time, you would of found out that Sven had put 4-5-1, which meant that Rooney had no support up front.

Date: July 01, 2006 10:00PM
Posted by: gav
MarcA Wrote:
> That wasn't all down to Wayne, if you listened to Shearer and co. at
> half time, you would of found out that Sven had put 4-5-1, which meant
> that Rooney had no support up front.

I didn't mean it was Rooney's fault, or him playing badly - I was just saying that before the sending off, it still had penalties written all over it - Portugal were certainly looking the stronger at least.
Date: July 01, 2006 10:06PM
Posted by: Paco
matt3454 Wrote:
> yeah and well done for make carragher retake his pen... bloody argie ref.

don't blame the referee, you can't take the penalty until the whistle is blown, which hadn't happened when he shot for the first time, in fact, Carragher should have been shown a yellow card.

I'm against sigpics
Date: July 01, 2006 10:12PM
Posted by: Daniel Knott
Well I thought stuttered run ups were band, but everybody does them >_<

H E L L O
Date: July 01, 2006 10:16PM
Posted by: DaveEllis

Date: July 01, 2006 07:42PM
Posted by: Muks_C (IP Logged)

yeah i knew Tim went out on tuesday (i think), just joking (see my sig).

and Murray is a BRIT thank you very much, until he loses, THEN you can call him a Scot, just like Canadian Greg Rusedski...

funny you should mention that. Channel 4 news lost what little creditability they had left by declaring him a racist arrogent man for saying hes Scottish, not representing England!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: July 01, 2006 10:19PM
Posted by: Wirah
Disapointed. I expected we would win the match beforehand. I think we actually deserved to win the match, we played better when we were down to 10 men. No complaints about Rooney, he definetely deserved a red. The referee was very good, I don't think the tackle on Lennon should have been a penalty, the ref just made a couple of mistakes on the opening stages, particularly against Hargreaves.

You kind of feel sorry for teams like Cote D'Ivoire, who probably could of beaten England if they were still in. They were in a group of death, which contributed to their early exit.

I think that our best players overall were Ferdinand (who saved certian goals throughout the tournament with superb last-ditch tackles) and Joe Cole who had some superb games, but was anonymous in others, today as an example.

I was also impressed with Carrick, Crouch, Hargreaves and Lennon during the tournament.

Date: July 01, 2006 11:11PM
@ Dave, wtf were channel 4 on about? he's Scottish, so why SHOULD he represent England?

like on the radio the other day, some woman called in for a song request or something, and the guy kept going on about England, asking her is she excited about todays match and whatever. the thing is, she had the most obvious Irish accent ever, so why would she be excited about England? stupid or what!

Date: July 01, 2006 11:15PM
Posted by: danm
.delete sorry.

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2006 11:16PM by danm.
Date: July 01, 2006 11:16PM
Posted by: danm
Paco Wrote:
> the goalkeeper is supposed to remain on or behind the line until the
> ball is kicked

his balls or footballs?

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
Date: July 02, 2006 12:30AM
Posted by: jginete
zeppelin101 Wrote:
> They'll get pwnd in the next round so it all evens out

That may be true. However, you guys were the ones who got "pwned" in this round...

I really don't get you guys, five days ago you were shocked because Portugal had been harsh against Holland. Today, Rooney steps on Ricardo Carvalho's balls (and that is why he was sent off), just before pushing Ronaldo and Petit and you are shocked because that is not harsh enough for you! It is true that he was fouled before, but an agression is supposed to be punished with a red card, and grabbing a player's shirt causes an indirect free kick... Using the official statistics, England commited 21 fouls, eleven more than Portugal. Who is violent now?!

Portugal failed to score during the whole game, but this was clearly Scolari's fault: he took Pauleta for Simão and we payed with Ronaldo as a striker until Postiga came on, and with no striker at all afterwards. However, there is no doubt we controlled the game. You guys were just shut in your midfield, not to say in your penalty area, and Crouch was there to get all the balls your defense (9 players) could shoot out of there. Your goalkeeper was very well though, he stopped some good shots by Hugo Viana and Tiago. Using the statistics again, Portugal had 20 shots, 9 of them on goal, while England shot for 9 times, only 4 of them on Ricardo's goal. Besides, we had 57% of ball posession...

About the penalty shoot out, we also missed twice, but the keeper Ricardo was just brilliant (and I don't like him...).

Basically, stop making up excuses, you did not deserve to win, actually neither team did.
About France, remember we were missing two key players, Deco and Costinha. With them, things will certainly be different!

Well, I haven't posted here for a long time, so I hope you still accept my opinions :P

P.S.: By the way, this flag has been here since 2004, after we were beaten by Greece... I hope it helps :-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2006 12:38AM by jginete.
Date: July 02, 2006 12:51AM
Posted by: LS.
DaveEllis Wrote:

>

>
>
> Dave Ellis - The Cosmic Pope
> iDT - Independent Developers Team
> v12racing - v12racing.net
>
> Turn it up to 11!

two things i'm struggling to understand Dave,

(1) you've said quite a few time that you don't like football.

(2) You've also said that you have this dislike the english for what they did to your scottish ancestors years ago and its been indoctrinated by your grandmother.

Apart from trying to cause trouble in here with the England fans, i cant see what your contributing in a thread that until now England have gone out?

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat
Date: July 02, 2006 01:02AM
Posted by: DaveEllis
Well no see :) I watched the match (why not give football a chance? You keep telling people to do that :P ) and have the right to post what i want. I supported Portugal for this match and figured i could celebrate by posting there flag :) Is there something wrong with this? Or would you like to attempt to moderate me on your opinion? Personally, i dont see what YOUR post is trying to achive other than an an argument, so moderate yourself thank you very much :)

Date: July 01, 2006 09:11PM
Posted by: Muks_C (IP Logged)

@ Dave, wtf were channel 4 on about? he's Scottish, so why SHOULD he represent England?

Ask them! They called him racist for not supporting England, but hey there you go, thats the media for you!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: July 02, 2006 01:06AM
Posted by: Zcott
I was in a very Irish bar today and everyone cheered when Portugal scored and England lost. I was very pleased.

Date: July 02, 2006 01:09AM
Posted by: Red Sam
tbh,

Four EU teams in the final four - can't do better than that! :)

RedSam
Winner: Not the Nickv Comment of the Year 2009

Due to the voting system in Germany, Governments are always made up of coalitions of different parties. At the last election, an almost unprecidented result saw the CDU/CSU (rough equivilant of the Conservatives) go into Government with the SPD (rough equivilant of Labour)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy