Re: New A1GP Chassis from Ferrari
Date: August 21, 2008 04:17PM
Posted by: chet
DaveEllis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I like it. The last A1GP car was designed by
> someone with no engineering background, to make
> the car look futuristic and cool. As a result, it
> looked stupid. This one looks like a racing car.

It was designed by Lola using CFD and a windtunnel, the car only had two considerations. To look good and different ( which it did look different, good was debatable and dependeds on taste ) and to allow other cars to follow close, this was achieved.

I doubt someone without an engineering backgroud designed it seeing as though it was lola, and if that was the case then it was going to a HUGE risk that the car would be very aerodynamically unbalanced and even the possibility of it being dangerous.

I agree it looked quite stupid, it looked like a toy, like the current IRL car. At least this Ferrari looks meaningful and like it could be a racing car.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: August 21, 2008 05:43PM
Posted by: dkpioe
i prefer the old a1gp car, yes it looks like a toy, and thats a good thing, just like old 70s f1 cars, it looks like our watching a scaletrix race on tv, looks fun, and it looked great with the fat wide slicks on the back, only thing i didnt like was the nose.

the new one looks less a racing car then the old one to me, it looks too sterile, like most modern post wide-track f1 cars, and if its like a modern f1 car, overtaking will be too hard in the dirty air.
Date: August 21, 2008 06:46PM
dkpioe Wrote:
if its like a modern
> f1 car, overtaking will be too hard in the dirty
> air.

The reason the F2004 was used because people think it to be one of the last F1 cars where the designers didnt go crazy with their pencils and added all the shite we see today. It was the car used by that overtaking group (OWG ????) to test the 2009 regulations and I guess it was logical to look at the results from testing this car... Racing will be just as easy/difficult in this car as it were in the old one.

Date: August 21, 2008 08:32PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
It was designed by Lola using CFD and a windtunnel, the car only had two considerations. To look good and different ( which it did look different, good was debatable and dependeds on taste ) and to allow other cars to follow close, this was achieved.

It wasn't "designed by Lola", it was "built by Lola". It was penned by the original owner of A1GP. The plans and documents were supplied to D3 whilst we created the A1GP Demo for them, so I have read the back story and talked to the people involved.

The reason it followes other cars so closely is it has no front end downforce. You'd be better off fitting a block of cheese to the front and trying to carve a wing out of it. It understeers like a bitch, which is why it is easy to drive, and why so many poor drivers "shine" in the series. Pedro Lamy was a great help when developing the demo, as he was one of the test drivers for Lola, and later Team Portugal.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: August 22, 2008 12:33PM
A1GP organisers have postponed the opening round of the championship, which was scheduled for Mugello on September 21, because of a delay in the build schedule of the new chassis.

The new Ferrari-powered car is being introduced to the championship this season, but hit a setback when series bosses decided to delay the first group test, and redesign a suspension component, after development driver Patrick Friesacher was injured in a crash caused by its failure.

A1GP CEO Pete da Silva said: "It was always going to be an optimistic programme, but we were confident we could achieve it. This in no way reflects on the work undertaken by the technical team and our partners, it was due to circumstances beyond their control.

"We now have to concentrate on what we have ahead of us, rather than behind. We still have some great announcements to make and in the near future we shall be able to announce our full race calendar."

The opening round of the new season will now be held at Zandvoort on October 4-5, which was scheduled as the second event.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: August 22, 2008 06:35PM
It was penned by the original owner of A1GP

How much of that do you think lol had to change though?

I was waiting to see whether or not it was driver error that sent patrick off. It was turn 3 at Magny wasnt it?

Date: September 12, 2008 07:52PM
Posted by: IWE
Lolz! I did just notise some changes on the car. Dunno if it have been like this for long time, but anyway..

Kimi, so, Massa Fernando Sebastian is faster than you. Can you confirm you understood that message?
Date: September 12, 2008 08:04PM
Posted by: Nickv
The fin looks good IMO. It makes me think of the old car.
Date: September 12, 2008 09:16PM
doesnt look bad at all.

Date: September 21, 2008 05:24AM
Posted by: NeilPearson
ew it would look better with a new nose. rather than that hulk of a thing

Date: September 21, 2008 08:22AM
Some fun news emerged about A1GP recently.

The new Ferrari-powered car is being introduced to the championship this season, but hit a setback when series bosses decided to delay the first group test, and redesign a suspension component, after development driver Patrick Friesacher was injured in a crash caused by its failure.

This was only part true. The fact of the matter is, the organisers hadn't paid for the chassis. And so far, since 2005 they ahve spent $500m, with no sign of making a profit any time soon.

Goodbye A1GP.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: September 21, 2008 01:29PM
Posted by: Iceman-Kimi
how would you know? Are you teh banker of the a1gp bosses?

Date: September 21, 2008 05:00PM
It was posted on motorsport news sites. You don't need to be a banker to be able to read. That is "how I would know".

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: September 21, 2008 06:54PM
Posted by: Iceman-Kimi
Yeh but then again, it shouldnt be real, it could be made up. Any link?

Date: September 21, 2008 07:58PM
Posted by: sasjag
i thought it was general knowledge that A1GP was spending loads and making no profit

Sim

All Hail The New York Giants - Winners of Superbowl XXI, XXV and XLII!

"I'd love to know what goes on in that crazy head of yours sometimes, Sim..." - Locke Cole
Date: September 21, 2008 07:59PM
It is.
Date: September 21, 2008 08:08PM
Well here is one of at least 3 reports I read. and GrandPrix.com is pretty much as good as it gets - no made up stuff here. Oh, and Team USA will not take part in Round 1, due to financial issues.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: September 22, 2008 10:48PM
Posted by: james84
Dunno if it's true, but yesterday they told that the Ferrari powered car is the 2004 F1 Ferrari!
Date: September 22, 2008 11:03PM
That was announced the day Ferrari announced they would be supplying chassis and engines.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: September 22, 2008 11:05PM
james84 schreef:
> Dunno if it's true, but yesterday they told that
> the Ferrari powered car is the 2004 F1 Ferrari!

Really? Who would've thought!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2008 11:06PM by Nickv.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy