New A1GP Chassis from Ferrari

Posted by DaveEllis 
Re: New A1GP Chassis from Ferrari
Date: October 16, 2009 09:06AM
Posted by: DaveEllis
A1GP is up that well known creek again. The cars have been impounded in UK customs when attempting to fly to Surfers Paradise. Financial reasons (shocker) being the reason.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: October 16, 2009 02:25PM
Posted by: Peat
Yeah, i read that the V8's will be doing 4 races now....

A crying shame, i thought TT had 'secured significant financial backing' only a few weeks ago?

Date: October 16, 2009 02:27PM
Peat Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yeah, i read that the V8's will be doing 4 races
> now....

I just read that too. Apparently this is the back-up plan, since there is no time to get a replacement series.

Earlier this thread I said they'd regret chosing A1GP over ALMS. Turns out I was right :P

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: October 16, 2009 06:45PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
Its disappointing indeed!

Hopefully they can get the IndyCars back to the Gold Coast next year. Has the 2010 IndyCar series been announced yet?

X (@ed24f1)
Date: October 17, 2009 06:25AM
Posted by: SchueyFan
The Queensland State Government is also looking (unsurprisingly) to sue the A1GP for their losses.

[www.smh.com.au]

X (@ed24f1)
Date: October 17, 2009 05:42PM
Posted by: kubica2
its been confirmed, no open wheelers on the gold coast this year. what a useless series the a1 was, the world championship of motosport my backside.
Date: October 17, 2009 10:35PM
Posted by: Peat
Now now. It was series with alot to offer, but it fell into the hands of an idiot.

Date: October 18, 2009 08:48AM
Well, it never had anything to offer. It had potential, but that is it.

It was disadvantaged from the off in that it didn't fit into the motorsport ladder, so was never taken seriously as a career step. To counter this it had to come up with something new. Sprint/Feature races are an old and tired forumla, as is the push to pass function. Because it was new and not a career step, it also attracted some god awful drivers who were trying to impress people to get a vault upwards - that had the downside of making the series look like a joke.

Despite that, and despite the spec cars, the series suffered from horrendous domination that made the Schumacher years in F1 look tame. Season 1, France won 13 out of 22 races. Season 2, Germany enjoyed a similar advantage. Come season 3 it was beginning to get more mixed but by that time the damage was done and they sold it to someone who clearly, like Peat said, is an idiot.

This is before you begin to touch on the terrible circuit choices, such as street circuits which can't cope with the cars. And of course the bunch of cancelled rounds too.

They also didn't exploit the "World Cup of Motorsport" properly. All the cars are built and maintained in the UK, and most of the team members are Brits, with the exception of only a couple of teams. It wasn't a World Cup anymore than Superleague Formula is actually Liverpool v AC Milan.

A1GP - Excellent idea. Badly executed by everybody who had a hand in its management. It is finally out of its misery.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: October 21, 2009 02:06PM
Posted by: Iceman-Kimi
Superleague Formula will drive in the same weekend as A1GP at Assen, so it's pretty sure to say A1GP won't come and SLF will replace them, I can't see them sharing an event.

Date: October 21, 2009 02:18PM
There were stories of SLF turning up at Surfers Paradise to replace A1GP, but given the time frame it was a ridiculous story.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: November 11, 2009 09:13AM
Posted by: alexf1man
Will the season even start?
Date: November 11, 2009 03:18PM
Posted by: Covfan
It has, you missed the first race. Micronesia won it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy