btcc. do you need to be fit and in shape to race??

Posted by jonahm 
btcc. do you need to be fit and in shape to race??
Date: August 29, 2006 12:27PM
Posted by: jonahm
must admit, most btcc drivers look out of shape a damn unhealthy. i was at oulton park earlier this year and took a stroll round the back of the pit garages. i had a listen into matt neals debrief from race 1, then had a walk down to the seat garage and found Jason plato lighting up a lambert and butler in his own garage maybe 10 feet from the fuel!!!!.btween race 1 and 2 Plato smoked about 5 or 6. maybe this is why he's so knackered towards the end of races,, who knows
Re: btcc. do you need to be fit and in shape to race??
Date: August 29, 2006 01:42PM
Posted by: gareth
if you don't need to be, dammit give me go! :)
Date: August 29, 2006 02:20PM
Posted by: Covfan
You clearly don't need any driving skill to race in BTCC.
Date: August 29, 2006 02:25PM
then I'm perfect! unfit and a crap driver!
Covfan Wrote:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
> You clearly don't need any driving skill to race in BTCC.
>
> -------------------------------------------------------
> Current amusing quote:
> 'Please place brain into gear BEFORE clicky the post button. That's
> all. '

*wonders if thats a sarcastic comment before making his reply*

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: August 30, 2006 01:29AM
Posted by: gav
At Donington this past weekend even the Radical drivers were jogging around the track along with the LMS ones when we were walking around it on Friday. Maybe it's not critical, but fitness sure plays a part.

Hell, even when karting indoors you can end up exhausted after an extended race - must be similar when sat in any enclosed car.
bestobritish, I got a strong feeling Covfan isn't being super sarcastic on this one ;-)
well then hes talking @#$%& then lol

Debateable if skill is required. All you need to do is prat about in the midfield, start from pole when the winner picks a number out of a hat, wait for Plato to destroy half the field, then claim the victory. Ignoring the massive ammount of delbrate and stupid accidents, BTCC must be the easiest series to win in out of all the major world wide ones.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: August 30, 2006 08:39PM
Posted by: keiran
yup BTCC seems to be an expensive version of bumper cars. Overtaking is created through bashing the other opponent out of the way. Then you have Tim Harvey who was one of the worst for knocking others out of the way and still does so commentating on it. I liked how he used to go on about no team orders in BTCC then the two seats did it but some how that is different to F1 ... BTCC is a manufactured based series seemingly, so what the hell is F1?

tbh for the length of races the BTCC drivers do I doubt they need to be all that fit. The last kart I raced pulled 2.5-3G through the corners and I managed to do the 10-15min races without really working out as such, even test days we'd sometimes do runs up to 20mins if not longer and I was okay. I was quite active on my bike etc but I didn't go to the gym and work out. I can't see a BTCC car being any more demanding, probably less demanding since in a car your not technically lifting the whole weight of thing as you turn.

Longer races then I'd say fitness is very important since obviously you need the stamina to last the whole stint/race.

Keiran

vMax.Keiran
Velocity Maximum Simulation Racing
www.vMaxSR.com
www.liveforspeed.net LFS Status:
Date: August 31, 2006 12:54AM
Posted by: Peat
DaveEllis Wrote:
> Debateable if skill is required. All you need to do is prat about in
> the midfield, start from pole when the winner picks a number out of a
> hat, wait for Plato to destroy half the field, then claim the victory.
> Ignoring the massive ammount of delbrate and stupid accidents, BTCC
> must be the easiest series to win in out of all the major world wide
> ones.
>
>

I saw the race from donington where the mg just straightlined the chicane on the last lap to overtake the guy infront and take the win.

Just destroyed the little bit in my brain that said that btcc was still good.

RUBBISH!

I've completely stopped watching it so havent seen that one.

I used to go to the events with some guys off the forum (gav for example) but after paying for tickets to sit in the pouring rain at Knockhill and watch Plato be a prick whilst the rest of the cars battle to go backwards, i decided im not paying again until they sort the series out. I paid to watch racing, not that tripe.

We went to Donington LMS last weekend and altho it cost more, it was FAR better than a BTCC weekend despite having 2 crap support series and thats it.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: August 31, 2006 11:58AM
Posted by: gav
DaveEllis Wrote:
> We went to Donington LMS last weekend and altho it cost more, it was
> FAR better than a BTCC weekend despite having 2 crap support series
> and thats it.

Added to the fact that there isn't 3 races of around 15 minutes - just one big-ass 6 hour one (that's the minimum race length in the series), that if anything, is too long for spectating - primarily because you can't make yourself heard for the 40 cars going by. Something truly to behold.

That said, some of us are going to the BTCC race this weekend, but not for the racing, for the laugh, the karting the day before, and because it's too late to cancel as everyone has made plans. I wouldn't be going if others hadn't booked time off work.
Date: September 01, 2006 02:31PM
gav Wrote:
> I wouldn't be going if others hadn't booked time off work.
>
>

hahaha....you talk it up so well!!

the more you guys talk about this series, the more and more i think i'm 100% suited to it.

don't have to be fit.....check
don't have to be particualrly good at driving.....check
can only have an attention span of about 15 mins.....check
enjoy punting others off the track......double check

see you guys on the weekend, i'll be in the blue car! ;)
Date: September 01, 2006 05:06PM
Posted by: Glyn
gav Wrote:
> That said, some of us are going to the BTCC race this weekend, but not
> for the racing, for the laugh, the karting the day before, and because
> it's too late to cancel as everyone has made plans. I wouldn't be
> going if others hadn't booked time off work.

It will be a laugh just for the entertainment that BTCC provides with the shonkey driving. Essentially it's entertainment on a racing track at the moment.

Date: September 01, 2006 05:16PM
Posted by: bestobritish
which is exactly what they are aiming for lol no boring races like DTM *yawn*

Date: September 01, 2006 05:19PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
You wont get much of a laugh...

Clios and Formula Renault arent there, but Formula Ford (lmao) and Caterhams (LMAO) are!

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: September 01, 2006 05:34PM
Posted by: keiran
bestobritish Wrote:
> which is exactly what they are aiming for lol no boring races like DTM
> *yawn*

DTM = good drivers with some great names. A lot of them drivers are paid and it's a professional series.
BTCC = Wannabes, BTCC is supposed to be Britain's premier motorsport and it produces no great drivers. How many drivers have gone to F1 from BTCC? More go onto better things from Formula Renault, Clio Cup etc. It kind of reminds me of club racing but far dirtier. There is less contact in MSA kart events and contact which could have been avoided is punished heavily. So god knows how they get off with it in BTCC since they are pretty much running from the same rule book and from my knowledge same officials...

The rules in BTCC are so crazy I wouldn't be surprised if they introduce a lottery machine to decide the starting grid.

Keiran

vMax.Keiran
Velocity Maximum Simulation Racing
www.vMaxSR.com
www.liveforspeed.net LFS Status:
Date: September 01, 2006 05:42PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
They effectivly have a lottery machine. Doesnt the winning driver pick the grid from peices of paper in a bin or something now?

BTCC isnt a racing series anyway. Its an entertainment series. Its like WWF wrestling compared to Olympic Wrestling.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: September 01, 2006 11:05PM
Posted by: smorr
Its WWE bucko...

Anyways,

You dont need to be inshape to drive a car... of course, you WIlL become inshape if you do it often enough... You will just get used to it like everything else. It devbelops the correct muscles/brain sections.

The Flanker is gone. :(
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy