btcc. do you need to be fit and in shape to race??

Posted by jonahm 
Re: btcc. do you need to be fit and in shape to race??
Date: September 05, 2006 07:12PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
I keep seeing the word entertainment here, instead of racing. Or even driving.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: September 05, 2006 08:17PM
Posted by: gav
keiran Wrote:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Do they use prokarts at Knockhill's kart track? Prokarts = Two of
> Honda's all purpose engines

Couldn't care less what they use at Knockhill, they're @#$%&. We went Karting in Sunderland the day before.

@Dave: Just give up. Even Cliff Richard knows your views on the BTCC. Just stop talking about it. It's @#$%& (and I think everyone who went to Knockhill agrees). But so is reality TV - it still has an audience though.

Fact was we all enjoyed it, no matter how poor the racing technically was. You would have too, and having been with you to countless events I know that. For on-site spectators it was awesome. When you study it, it's a piece of piss, but you could say the same about all forms of motorsport if you wanted to.
Date: September 05, 2006 09:35PM
Posted by: bestobritish
gav Wrote:

>
> @Dave: Just give up. Even Cliff Richard knows your views on the BTCC.
> Just stop talking about it. It's @#$%& (and I think everyone who went
> to Knockhill agrees). But so is reality TV - it still has an audience
> though.
>
> Fact was we all enjoyed it, no matter how poor the racing technically
> was. You would have too, and having been with you to countless events
> I know that. For on-site spectators it was awesome. When you study it,
> it's a piece of piss, but you could say the same about all forms of
> motorsport if you wanted to.

Those two paragraphs are so true lol

Yes some of the driving like Neals shocker on Plato was very poor but id watch it over a procesion like ive seen in DTM this year any day.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: September 05, 2006 10:11PM
Posted by: keiran
bestobritish Wrote:
> Yes some of the driving like Neals shocker on Plato was very poor but
> id watch it over a procesion like ive seen in DTM this year any day.

The difference is DTM isn't an expensive version of bumper cars and has big names in it not to mention drivers that actually do something with there careers. The simple fact you keep missing is that BTCC is a disgrace when it's considered the UKs premier sport. Hell half them drivers have jobs, how many people do you see in DTM working in Tescos 5 days a week?

They promote wrecks to bump viewing figures and half them wrecks (passing...) aren't deemed legal by MSA regs yet they let them happen to get the public who love to watch car smashing. Something I've never understood how they get off with, as far as I'm aware they use the same clerk of courses for all sorts of series and yet in karting they are far stricter when it's all coming out the same rule book for that part anyway...

Anyway, don't worry. Soon enough a driver will be seriously injured and all hell will break lose when it comes down to the fact that they kept getting let off with all the carnage ...

Keiran

vMax.Keiran
Velocity Maximum Simulation Racing
www.vMaxSR.com
www.liveforspeed.net LFS Status:
Date: September 05, 2006 10:52PM
Posted by: Mini Maestro
DTM >>>>>>> BTCC
Date: September 05, 2006 11:32PM
Posted by: chet
DTM has hakkinen. Enough said :P

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: September 06, 2006 01:06AM
@Dave: Just give up. Even Cliff Richard knows your views on the BTCC. Just stop talking about it. It's @#$%& (and I think everyone who went to Knockhill agrees). But so is reality TV - it still has an audience though.

Well, no, because i pointed out something that others had been saying :P You dont have to read it!

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: September 06, 2006 12:23PM
And everyone knows entertainment isn't what motorsport is all about, yet you keep on using the same old retorts. People agree with you, but you still drag on about it. Just STFU for once.
Date: September 06, 2006 04:19PM
No tbh :P Nobody tells Karan not to post screens, nobody tells Keiran not to post about Karts, or Esben not to post about GPL :P Just stop reading it if it effects you *that* much.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: September 06, 2006 05:07PM
DaveEllis Wrote:
> No tbh :P Nobody tells Karan not to post screens

I did actually, but there was a reason ;)

It's just stupid that any possible opportunity you get, you make a derogatory post about the BTCC - I'm hardly a fan myself - indeed I hate it - but I don't go balling and screaming every other post about how bad it is, how it's not pure, how it Plato is a spike through the heart, and I'm willing to give it its positives when I see one, eg the trackside "entertainment" provided last weekend.

I'll turn the tables a bit - if BTCC bugs you *that* much, don't watch it or post about it.
Date: September 07, 2006 08:10AM
Posted by: Guimengo
Gav, maybe if instead of using STFU which is quite rude, if you say please stop talking or be quiet, or even a rude shut up, Dave would be more accepting of your point (even if still rejecting it :D).

Alright, I don't belong here... *leaves*
Date: September 07, 2006 11:52AM
Guimengo Wrote:
> Gav, maybe if instead of using STFU which is quite rude, if you say
> please stop talking or be quiet, or even a rude shut up, Dave would be
> more accepting of your point (even if still rejecting it :D).
>
> Alright, I don't belong here... *leaves*

You've not learnt how to talk to Dave yet, have you? This is how we chat in person too ;)
Date: September 07, 2006 07:52PM
Posted by: FRESCO
The simple fact you keep missing is that BTCC is a disgrace when it's considered the UKs premier sport.

It certainly didn't get to being the UK's premier motorsport by being a "disgrace."

The BTCC is a brilliant series, it promotes action, ovetaking and proper racing. And over the years it has had its fair crop of good drivers. Yvan Muller, James Thompson, Matt Neal, Andy Priaulx all spring to mind.

And of course you have to be fit to driver a BTCC car, your average joe off the street couldn't hop in and be on the pace straight off. Three races in a day would be mentally and physically draining for any driver wishing to get to top tier motorsport.

Don't like it, don't watch it. And don't berate the people that do like it. Simple.

I have been to Snetterton and Donington this year and both have been fantastic days out and I would recommend it to anyone.

Date: September 08, 2006 03:10PM
It certainly didn't get to being the UK's premier motorsport by being a "disgrace."

It got to being the UKs premier motorsport by being awesome, in the 80s and 90s. It promptly died in the late 90s and was reborn with slow (but cheaper) cars with drivers with considerably less talent. It stays the UKs premier motorsport series because it attracts the general public who just want to see crashes and accidents. Also because the UK generally lacks good racing series, and the series we do have get bugger all TV coverage compared with other countries national series.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: September 08, 2006 08:03PM
It certainly didn't get to being the UK's premier motorsport by being
a "disgrace."

As Dave posted above BTCC was better back in the day. Larger grids, better cars and cleaner racing than what we have now. Most drivers come to the UK or certainly Europe to move up in there racing career yet none of them want to be in the BTCC, to me that just shows the name it has built up for itself.

I've talked to many people who race at club level in karts and hill climbs and all have agreed that they don't take the BTCC seriously because of the things they get off with. It's governed by pretty much the same MSA rules used in karting and most British motorsport where this sort of behaviour would be punished heavily. The reason they don't punish them in BTCC even though they are breaking rules? Well because they want to get the interest for the average Joe who loves to see car smashing. Soon enough though someone will get hurt and then I bet things will change.

The BTCC is a brilliant series, it promotes action, overtaking and
proper racing. And over the years it has had its fair crop of good
drivers. Yvan Muller, James Thompson, Matt Neal, Andy Priaulx all
spring to mind.

It promotes car wrecking and hopeless attempts to pass. Only 3 of them have actually made it somewhere and that somewhere is the WTCC. Matt Neal isn't very special in my opinion, if he was he'd not still be in the BTCC ;-) How many drivers go, "I want to drive in the BTCC?" Only the ones that can't get themselves into a better series.

I've talked to many people at club events who race nationally/internationally and asked them what they were looking to do and none of them, not a single one of them mentioned the BTCC. Clio Cup, Formula Renault and Formula BMW were the most popular ones that people were looking to do to try get themselves into/as close to F1 or WTCC/DTM/FIA GT etc. Obviously I'm just dumbing it down a bit as they would be looking to race in the likes of GP2 etc before heading to F1.

I very much doubt that any team bosses or managers look at the BTCC to try bring drivers up the ranks.

And of course you have to be fit to driver a BTCC car, your average
joe off the street couldn't hop in and be on the pace straight off.
Three races in a day would be mentally and physically draining for any
driver wishing to get to top tier motorsport.

Debateable. I'd be surprised if someone of reasonable fitness couldn't last 3 races. I used to do 4 and that's in something which pulls 3/4 G and has no suspension and I wasn't exactly out at the Gym everyday lifting weights. Add the fact they are known to be one of the heaviest things out there to steer since you're technically lifting the whole weight of the kart and you. I'd be surprised if a BTCC car pulls much more than 3G cornering force and the power steering will make it nice and easy on the drivers arms.

Don't like it, don't watch it. And don't berate the people that do
like it. Simple.

People can watch it if they want, to me it's on the in the background if there's nothing else on like Moto GP while I do other stuff and is a great laugh to see Tim Harvey, Mr Wrecker himself defend the clear, "I'm going through n00b!" smashes that go on in BTCC.

But if someone comes out with it's good racing, or full of lots of overtaking then I'll argue that.

Ever wander why the BTCC is in such a state? Because the fans of it enjoy the smashing attitude of it and I very much doubt independent teams can afford to be involved in that. The BTCC rules are just laughable at best when it comes down to deciding how many rows get switches, lets pull a ball out a hat... yes that's how a premier motorsport should be run... How many of the drivers in the likes of DTM are actually having to do other jobs such as working in Tescos 5 days a week to pay for there racing? None that I know of, or very few. A select few in the `UK's premier motorsport` actually take a wage from it which again highlights the lack of money in general, shows very little interest from sponsors, thus any sponsors there aren't paying as much as the teams/drivers would probably like.

Keiran

vMax.Keiran
www.vMaxSR.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2006 08:07PM by keiran.
Date: September 09, 2006 11:41AM
Why do you care? Or anyone for that matter?

Date: September 09, 2006 03:17PM
Posted by: bestobritish
*yawn* cant belive this thread is still going, the same @#$%& seems to be repeated all the time!

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: September 09, 2006 03:50PM
chet Wrote:
> Why do you care? Or anyone for that matter?

Why do I care? Is that a serious question?! I'm embarrassed to have the BTCC as the premier UK motorsport when the lower series are taking far more seriously within the motorsport ranks. How will this change? When people put pressure on the farce of an organisation that run it, problem is it attracts people who aren't interested in racing but want to see car smashing action.

bestobritish Wrote:
>*yawn* cant belive this thread is still going, the same @#$%& seems to be repeated all the time!

The only same old @#$%& I see repeated all the time is your comments. You've yet failed to put a significant argument across and I will highlight them for you:

well then hes talking @#$%& then lol

Insightful that is...

which is exactly what they are aiming for lol no boring races like DTM *yawn*

Now I can use your earlier comment you used to defend BTCC, well then you're talking @#$%& then lol

Oh and on the topic of quality drivers in the btcc Tom Chilton who drives for vauxhall drove in the ALMS and easily led races (he might even have won at laguna seca), that must make him a really poor driver lol

So far you've managed to come up with one driver ... and this guy doesn't even want to be in the BTCC, I'm sorry to tell you ;-) Just something he ended up having to do.

Chilton planned to race in the DTM in 2005, but the demise of MG scuppered his chances

Yes some of the driving like Neals shocker on Plato was very poor but id watch it over a procesion like ive seen in DTM this year any day.

Here you go again slagging off a series which is taken 100x more seriously than the BTCC is and at the rate it's going will ever be.

*yawn* cant belive this thread is still going, the same @#$%& seems to be repeated all the time!

Another useless comment adding nothing to your argument of DTM being crap and BTCC being better.

I've talked to drivers like Ryan Sharp before and believe me no way was he looking to go into the BTCC. In case you don't know he raced for a bit in GP2, the Renault World Series if I remember correctly and now the WTCC. Know how he got there? Well heres how:

Karting
British Formula First
British Formula Ford
British Formula Renault
Italian Formula Renault & Formula Renault V6 Eurocup
Then to GP2.

So if BTCC is supposed to be the best motorsport in Brtain why didn't he go into it to prove his ability? I'll leave that for you to answer...

Keiran

vMax.Keiran
www.vMaxSR.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2006 03:57PM by keiran.
Date: September 09, 2006 04:18PM
Like you said people dont consider it serious.

Now, the clever poeple with real Motorsport knowledge, ie the poeple that matter will have the same view as you, right? I mean they should do if what yr saying is true about the btcc, in which it is ;)

Date: September 09, 2006 09:36PM
Just seen this

[www.rsportscars.com]

thats a good step forward. getting rid of silly hatch backs which dont look like racing cars. That can actually pass as a proper touring cars now! Dont like the silly body kit, but overall thats ALOT nicer than the current thing.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy