After watching the Nurburgring GP2 race...

Posted by flat tyre 
After watching the Nurburgring GP2 race...
Date: May 29, 2006 11:16AM
Posted by: flat tyre
... I've only just realised how boring F1 has become. The Nurburgring race had me gripped. I only watched it because I was bored at the time - now I think I'll watch each race and enjoy it more than F1! Just a shame I only get to watch it a week after it happened :(
Re: After watching the Nurburgring GP2 race...
Date: May 29, 2006 12:29PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
huh? Did you even watch the Monaco GP? It was fantastic! A track you supposedly cant pass on and we got passing action about 5 or 6 times!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: May 29, 2006 12:48PM
Posted by: Nickv
F1 is getting more and more boring. There is almost no overtaking action on the track. The only thing you need to win a race these days is a calculator.
Date: May 29, 2006 12:51PM
Yeah, there was no racing at all at Monaco!

Maybe you guys who want fabricated overtaking should go watch A1GP or some similary poor series? F1 has never provided overtaking every lap like you seem to want. It has not got more boring, not by a long shot.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: May 29, 2006 12:54PM
Posted by: flat tyre
DaveEllis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> huh? Did you even watch the Monaco GP? It was
> fantastic! A track you supposedly cant pass on and
> we got passing action about 5 or 6 times!
>
>
>
> Dave Ellis - The Cosmic Pope
> iDT - Independent Developers Team
> v12racing - v12racing.net
>
> VOTE LORDI

Yes, I did watch it, it was a great race, but unfortunately you don't get races that good in F1 very often :(
Date: May 29, 2006 01:19PM
DaveEllis Wrote:
> Yeah, there was no racing at all at Monaco!
>
> Maybe you guys who want fabricated overtaking
> should go watch A1GP or some similary poor series?
> F1 has never provided overtaking every lap like
> you seem to want. It has not got more boring, not
> by a long shot.
>
>
>
> Dave Ellis - The Cosmic Pope
> iDT - Independent Developers Team
> v12racing - v12racing.net
>
> VOTE LORDI

Monaco has always been a good race. Every year there is chaos, action and overtaking. But Spain was boring, just like other GPs. And the European GP was clearly won by a team who knows how to handle a calculator.
Date: May 29, 2006 01:21PM
Posted by: Covfan
DaveEllis Wrote:
> Yeah, there was no racing at all at Monaco!
>
> Maybe you guys who want fabricated overtaking
> should go watch A1GP or some similary poor series?
> F1 has never provided overtaking every lap like
> you seem to want. It has not got more boring, not
> by a long shot.
>
>
>

Leave A1GP alone! :-(
Date: May 29, 2006 01:23PM
Yes, A1GP rocks! If there is one serie that isn't crap it's the A1GP.
Date: May 29, 2006 01:27PM
A1GP is an appauling farce of a series.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: May 29, 2006 01:37PM
No it's not. But it could be said about the NASCAR series you like to watch.
Date: May 29, 2006 02:39PM
A1GPs idea of racing is a tarted up Formula 3 car which cant do anything but understeer. Then fixing it to get as much action as possible, even if thats in the form of accidents.

Nobody of value cared about the series and thwy were in finanical trouble as no sponsored were onboard and the owners tried to offload the series and the millions of dollars worth of debt to other people.

they also have no spare chassis and very little spare parts and no money to produce anymore.

I dont see what NASCAR has to do wtih this as it cant be compared to open wheel, or even road racing in any way

However if your bored with the professional action you get in f1, then some amaters poncing around the track in under powered tarrted up F3 cars, being unable to keep the car on the track for 5 laps may fit your liking.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: May 29, 2006 02:50PM
ffs, this edit after 5minutes thing is STUPID. The page hung and now i cant put in my edit.

I was going to put in

We have had a fantastic year of F1 and quite a few great battles. If you honestly think that f1 in the past used to be passing at every corner than your looking back with rose tinted glasses, or you simply dont know anything about F1 in those days. Yes we have had bad years. 2002 and 2004 had very little action. But 2003, 2005 and so far 2060 have produced mostly great races. Yes there have been poor races inbetween, but go find me a series that doesnt have at least some poor races mixed in with excellent ones?

At the end of the day, if you want to see professional close racing, f1 is giving you that. And whether you care to admit it or not, F1 has provided action. However if you want to see cars flying all over the place and passing moves all over the shop with pre-fabricated action, then A1GP or even BTCC is right up your street.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: May 29, 2006 02:52PM
A1GP is a very good idea. A nation cup in the winter. A gap in the market. It is a serie of close racing, with different winners and a lot of action.
And every new series has trouble with the start. Financial or technical. And AFAIK every team has two cars in a weekend.

And I still like F1, but it gets boring. The professional action you're talking about is mainly in the fueltank.

And A1GP drivers are certainly not all amateurs. Lapierre, Prémat, Jani, Piquet Jr. They are all talented drivers.
Date: May 29, 2006 03:12PM
There was no gap in the market.

Motorsports has a ladder of series. Generally the top series Outside America is very much Formula 1. That is what most drivers aim for (not all, obviously). The very obvious route to F1 is something like - Karts - Formula Ford - Formula 3 - GP2 - F1.

A1GP doesnt fit into the series ladder at all and provides no logical step to progress to anything higher. With the exceptionally poor driving standards displayed last season, it isnt exactly a welcoming prospect either. F1 teams will not look there for talent

And every new series has trouble with the start. Financial or technical. And AFAIK every team has two cars in a weekend.

Not at all. They started off with 2 cars, but the massive ammount of accidetns and lack of cash forced A1GP to remove the spare cars from the teams and only allocate them when required. They ran out of chassis. Teams also ran out of spare parts on several occasions, forced to run other teams parts, and even buy them from teams and repaint them before the next race.

And tbh, no, news series dont normally have many problems. ALMS, Grand Am and LMS (LMES) all started off fine. GP2 didnt exactly struggle either.

The owners were in talks to sell the series late last year and still were until recently. They now have a finanical backer, which is, from what i hear, extremely unstable at best. But you have to take what you can get right? Beggers cant be choosers.

btw, A1GP isnt nation on nation anyway. The French Team are all english mechanics. Graham Rahal, Bobbys Son, whos an American drove for Lebanon or something because of grand parents or something down the line like that. The only thing national about it is the colours and some of the drivers. Its also certainly not the "World Cup Of Motorsports" like it has been advertised as.

They are all talented drivers.

Ouch, fatal mistake. They most certainly are not all talented drivers. Team Chinas guy shouldnt even be allowed on a race track. Lebanon before Graham Rahal was enough to make you embaressed from watching, Team Japan managed to roll a car...under Safety Car..and Jos and his hissy fits whilst causing lots of small accidents isnt exactly wonderfull either.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: May 29, 2006 03:36PM
Because a serie exists one year doesn't immediatly mean it isn't part of the ladder to F1. Well GP2 DID struggle in the beginning. IIRC they had major clutch problems. Lots of them broke at Imola.

Yes, there are mechanics in teams who aren't from the teams country. But it's mainly about the drivers being from different countries, because that's what the average race watcher looks at. About Graham Rahal, you;re right. I had no idea what he did there. And about 'some of the drivers', well you can safely make most of the drivers.

And about the drivers I called talented, if you had read it better, you would've seen I meant Lapierre, Prémat, Jani and Piquet Jr.
Yes, F1 is definitely anything but boring. Okay, we don't always get wheel-to-wheel racing, but I think it's been pretty good this year and like Dave said, you can't expect overtaking at every corner, or on every lap. Overtaking is meant to be a challenge. If you want to watch overtaking at every corner, watch GP2, or Moto GP.

[Website]
Date: May 29, 2006 04:06PM
Posted by: Morbid
Nickv Wrote:
> Monaco has always been a good race. Every year
> there is chaos, action and overtaking. But Spain
> was boring, just like other GPs. And the European
> GP was clearly won by a team who knows how to
> handle a calculator.
>

Team of Three Texas Instruments Engineers invented the Portable, Hand-Held Electronic Calculator in 1967. Incidentally aerodynamics more complex than "bullet theory" entered into formula 1 the same year. But formula one wasn't even called formula one back then.

So when was it that there has EVER been an F1 GP that was won by a team that could NOT handle a calculator?

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
Date: May 29, 2006 04:23PM
Morbid just said it perfectly for me - ROSE TINTED GLASSES

People either dont know about old F1 (and pretend they do), or look back and remember it better than it actually was.

F1 has certainly not gotten worse and like every sport has good and bad years, and good and bad races

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: May 29, 2006 04:42PM
I mean being able to handle a calculator in the meaning of calculating strategies to get in front or to stay in front of another car. So instad of overtaking on the track, overtaking is being done in the pit lane.
Date: May 29, 2006 05:14PM
As long as pit stops have always been in F1, it has happened. Your statement F1 is getting more and more boring. is just simply not true. And when there wasnt pit stops, the fastest car often just drove off into the distance anyway

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy