After watching the Nurburgring GP2 race...

Posted by flat tyre 
GP2 has to be more exciting than F1! And this from me a GP2 Fanboy [seriously ask Dave, kizz or Nick et all and they know i love GP2 :P].
The cars are the same! Therefore the emphasis is more on driver skill and setup. however some weekend the setup isnt there for some teams and therefore the driver is making up the difference while for others the setup is there but the drivers are crap! Therefore it balances out with TONS of on track battles!

Comon tell me now what single spec series doesnt have loads of overtaking? F3, Formula Ford/BMW/Palmer. The cars are made in such a way for there to be action!

And IMO F1 is far from boring this year, the midfield is HUGE! Honda, BMW, Toyota, Williams, RBR meaning there is always a huge battle for the final points paying positions and if a Big gun doesnt get it right a la Mclaren @ Spain then there more people together.
Yes Alonso is dominating but that is hardly his fault. 2006 has by far and away IMO been the bests season since 2003.

And despite being initially excited about the series i am dont see A1GP as exciting as i previously thought.
Some race were awesome just like Sepang Sprint with the France vs. Swiss battle on the last lap for the lead however so people seriously shouldnt be driving the cars at all. And why do nations such as Finalnd and Spain not have entries while countries with no racing heritage like Lebanon do?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2006 07:05PM by Mini Maestro.
Re: After watching the Nurburgring GP2 race...
Date: May 29, 2006 08:03PM
Posted by: six degrees
Mini Maestro Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Comon tell me now what single spec series doesnt
> have loads of overtaking?

Formula Renault.

;)
Date: May 29, 2006 08:43PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
Yeah but thats a terrible series :P

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: May 29, 2006 10:29PM
Posted by: DrDougal
If F1 isn't boring how come most fans get orgasms after seeing races like Brazil 2003, Monaco 96 or Belgium 98 etc. In A1GP or Formula 3 or BTCC, these sort of races happen every week!

I like F1, but if it wasn't for the amzing coverage, the way it is built up and the atmosphere, I probably wouldn't care for it as much (although I would still like it).

Sorry, GP2 is WAY MORE entertaining than F1! However, during a good F1 race I find that WAY MORE "exciting" than GP2.

Is it the difference between "entertainment" and "excitment"?
Date: May 29, 2006 10:37PM
Posted by: Covfan
It depends on what people find exciting. Personally I find A1GP exciting but I don't find IRL exciting. I find F1 exciting but I don't really find Nascar exciting. It's horses for courses.
Date: May 29, 2006 11:30PM
Posted by: chet
GP2 is only good because its a one make series with loads of Satos :P and a few Shumachers.

Like someone said the mid-field of F1 is amazingly close!

This is the closest bunch of cars ive seen in a while. Honda, Williams, RedBull, and Toyota are so close! Maybe Williams and Honda edging the other two, but not by alot...

I cant wait, from Hockenhiem (and including) I think the racing will be intense! All tracks bar the Hungaroring are immense!

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: May 29, 2006 11:48PM
Sorry, GP2 is WAY MORE entertaining than F1!

entertaining in the poor driver, all over the shop making sloppy passes type way. I dont find that entertaining at all. I find it extremely boring watching n00bs.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: May 30, 2006 12:34AM
entertaining in the poor driver, all over the shop making sloppy passes type way. I dont find that entertaining at all. I find it extremely boring watching n00bs

You're just happy seeing the worlds most expensive scaletrix set with one slot, as long as the technology is there?
GP2 and A1GP has more overtaking, wheel to wheel racing and action in one race than usually a whole season of F1. REAL racing. Drivers who REALLY want to win and overtake rather than drivers who would rather overtake with a "calculator" or settle for points for a year long championship.

Hamilton and Piquet jnr are bound to be in F1 soon. Does that make them sloppy drivers now (whilst in GP2) and brilliant drivers next year?
Date: May 30, 2006 01:28AM
You're just happy seeing the worlds most expensive scaletrix set with one slot, as long as the technology is there?

Nope. At no point was technology ever mentioned by either of us. Secondly, F1 proved last night, once again, that it is not a scaletrix set. Monaco provided passing and iirc, the only race this year with proper passing was Imola. Hell even Barcelona had some.

REAL racing. Drivers who REALLY want to win and overtake rather than drivers who would rather overtake with a "calculator" or settle for points for a year long championship.

Im sorry, but A1GP doesnt have that. A1GP has a bunch of rookies, some of them, unable to control the car in the slightest, pulling off stupid moves and causing bad accidents and rolling cars. That is not racing. Its an entertainment show. Not far off the fabricated soap opera which American Wrestling produces.

I watch motorsports for top class professional racing drivers battling each other. Whether you care to admit this or not, this DOES actually happen in F1, and no ammount of "theres no passing" false statements will change this.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: May 30, 2006 01:44AM
I never said F1 was crap, I just said GP2 and A1GP was better imo.

If you don't like other formula, thats your choice.
Date: May 30, 2006 08:54AM
Quality of racing is nowhere near as good as F1, but occasionally I have enjoyed a A1GP race, or 2.

And the only reason I watch GP2 is for Lewis.

Date: May 30, 2006 10:58AM
Posted by: Zyklef
For once chet hit the nail right on the head there, the quality of racing in F1 far surpasses that of any motorsport I've seen in my life. I find it much more enjoyable to watch the "no passes" in F1 than GP2 or A1GP where most of the drivers don't know what they're doing. Another example is the BTCC; I used to watch it all the time when it was under the Super Touring regs, now it's just a boring and sloppy crashfest. More action, less quality.
Date: May 30, 2006 05:08PM
Posted by: Fraplee
I am sorry but...Anyone that says that F1 is boring in my opinion just doesn't get it and really ought to watch some other series. Every era of F1 has offered something different in terms of the style of racing. For my way of looking at it the number of "manouvers", be they passing or crashing, is inconsiquential. I would be willing to bet that anybody that visits this forum would gladly watch 22 fighter jets fly over-head at full tilt and make the tightest possible turns. Whether or not they pass eachother or not doesn't matter it is still awesome. In my mind just watching and hearing an F1 car makes my little heart go pitter patter. Maybe those that claim that F1 is boring are in need of entertainment while the rest of us are happy to just stand in awe of all the different elements that are F1.

An argument over which series is better is pointless. After all I'm a Yank and I HATE NASCAR, I hate the whole mentality behind it - I would sooner watch sewing machine races. But I am certainly not going to try to convince Dave Ellis or anyone else for that matter of my opinions. Maybe he has an appreciation that I don't get. Which leads right back to my point...Guys these are the most outrageous racing machines on the planet. Enough with the boring/cheating/team orders/blah, blah, blah. Just sit back and enjoy the most awesome cars on the planet. F*%k - even practice gives me a chubby.

FraPP!!!!
Date: May 31, 2006 12:49PM
Posted by: Peat
WELL SAID THAT MAN!

Exactly the same sentiment here.
The sheer enormity and technology of F1 makes me dribble! As a failed driver and mechanic im left in awe by F1, i just love it!

I do however enjoy BTCC and A1GP for the entertainment value.

Date: June 02, 2006 12:07AM
Posted by: IL Dottore
F1 is boring:P The only GP i didnt fall in sleep was monaco..:P

Also there is no team I like fighting for the championship..

So yes F1 is getting more and more Boring these days...

Magic Senna
Date: June 02, 2006 12:22AM
Also there is no team I like fighting for the championship..

Ah, a fanboy! Someone only interested when there team is doing well!

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: June 04, 2006 02:05PM
Posted by: zeppelin101
The thing with F1 is that it's the pinnacle of motorsport. As Dave said, there are drivers all over the world (ex USA mostly) that want to get a drive in it. Anyway, whether there is close racing or not doesn't matter, if you look closely, it's not just about the racing, it represents leaps in technology in motorsport and IIRC, F1 has been a benchmark for many things that have made their own path in lower Formula's. I may well be on my own, but for me, F1 isn't just about the racing, the teams are under huge pressure after every GP to improve the car and make it faster than their rivals. In something like A1GP and GP2, this doesn't happen, it's completely down to the drivers. Yeah alright, that's not a bad thing I'll admit, but it's pretty awesome what the mechanics and techs can do to a car in 3 weeks which suddenly make it tenths of a second faster than their rivals, or in some cases as we saw with Renault in the last part of 2005, makes up the gap to Mclaren in 2 races and puts them on a much even footing, pratically giving Renault the championship thanks to poor reliability from Mclaren.

All these driver oriented series set out to prove who's the best driver.

F1 sets out to prove which team is best when matched with a group of already proven drivers.
Date: June 04, 2006 06:35PM
Posted by: tripleM
As long as there are different teams preparing the cars it won't be completely down to the drivers, even in the spec series.

Date: June 04, 2006 06:45PM
A1GP proves that point.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: June 04, 2006 11:37PM
I just think its the drivers still.

Most wont dare to make a move.

But then, not everyone is a Senna or a Mansell :P

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy