About tyre type

Posted by savinaclaudio 
About tyre type
Date: October 29, 2008 09:55AM
Posted by: savinaclaudio
Hi guys. My question is: is it possible that in a race human (or CC or both) can use different dry tyre compound?
I mean, to start a race with hard tyres, and in a pitstop to change to soft tyre? I use Gp3Wear to check the tyre consumption and noticed that in Homestead: the last tyre set used had a very quick degradation (i was 1th with 10 laps to go, and finished 4th, on the wheels...) as they were soft tyres.
I knew this is not possible, as if you choose a tyre compound you can't change during a race, but now i have a doubt.
Let me know how do you think or have experienced.
Thanks.
Re: About tyre type
Date: October 29, 2008 10:12PM
Posted by: ErickVonDraxeler
Tested here, you can change the tyre compound until the Qualifying Session... From Pre-Race Warm-up onwards, you stick with a single compound... Don't know if it's the last tyre you used or if it can be set on your set-up...

GPGSL-3: Fox race driver and team manager - 2011-2012 Constructor Champion - 2012 Driver Champion

Season 9 - #18 Erick Von Draxeler - #35 Marcus Bongardt
Date: October 30, 2008 12:12AM
Posted by: SuperSonic
You probably got an used tyre set in your final stint, thus the poor grip.

GP3 follows 1998 sporting regulations.

From the GP3 manual, hope this helps:

Tyre Rules

The rules surrounding the selection of tyres are complicated, however, they do add to the
strategic nature of the sport. Note: A ‘set’ of tyres consists of all four tyres (2 front and
2 rear) required by one car.

At the start of a race weekend, every driver has 10 sets of the two different Dry compounds
(Soft/Hard) and 7 sets of the four different Wet compounds (Intermediates, Hard Wets,
Soft Wets, or Monsoon), making 48 sets in total.

Prior to the start of First Practice, each driver has to reserve 4 sets from each of the dry
compound groups. These are reserved for the Qualifying session. Grand Prix 3 does this
for you automatically.

During the Practice sessions, drivers can use any tyre compound. This is normally done
to enable the team to test and compare the available grip and wear under various load
conditions – important factors when calculating the pitstop strategy.

After all Practice sessions are completed, the driver has to decide on which of the two dry
compounds he will use for the rest of the race weekend. In Grand Prix 3 you will make
that decision when selecting the tyre compound for use in the Qualifying session.
The drivers will then only be allowed seven sets of the selected dry compound for the rest
of the event: 4 sets for Qualifying session (the 4th set can be used in the race) and 3 sets
for the Race itself.
Date: October 30, 2008 10:45AM
Thanks guys.
But in Gp3Wear i noticed that a soft tyre set had been used in race (the last set): so now i think it is a bug of Gp3Wear that reads in a wrong way the tyre set used in the sessions. What do you think about it?
Date: October 30, 2008 02:50PM
Posted by: St.Hubbins
Have you looked into HOFxLap too? That will tell you the actual number all of the tyre sets used in the race.

I had never really read the above information about how tyre sets were designated. So effectively for the first two practice sessions it is only possible to use 3 sets of each dry compound, and after these sessions those 6 sets are discarded, leaving 7 of each remaining.

Ahh well, I usually just head straight into qualifying, one hotlap and then start the race from the front :D

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function. -- F.Scott Fitzgerald
Date: October 30, 2008 04:19PM
Many thanks St.Hubbins, i downloaded the util, which has a lot of data and i didn't know.
Date: November 01, 2008 12:45AM
Posted by: Racer#73
SuperSonic Wrote:

> The drivers will then only be allowed seven sets
> of the selected dry compound for the rest
> of the event: 4 sets for Qualifying session (the
> 4th set can be used in the race) and 3 sets
> for the Race itself.

Ok, but why my second set of tires in my Cape Town 50% race were already running out of grip making me struggle to hold at least a podium finish? I understand that I have 3 fresh sets of tires for the race, so why my second set was already losing efficiency?

Ahh, nevermind! A few laps later after pitting my engine overheated. LLOLL

Cheers.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy