Yet another magic data related doubt

Posted by SuperSonic 
Yet another magic data related doubt
Date: April 28, 2008 08:20PM
Posted by: SuperSonic
I searched but failed to find any info related to my doubt.

I finally managed to find through the FIA website all info regarding fuel consumption for all tracks. Thus, I'd like to mess around with magic data to get accurate fuel loads and consumption.

The question is: what is the unit used in the "fuel???" field? I remember I read somewhere it is "pounds X 1000". However, it seems to be wrong.

FIA states 2.7kg of fuel for Melbourne. So I converted 2.7kg to poundsX1000 and saved a game with 10 laps of fuel onboard. I was expecting hofxlap to show 632kg (605+27), but it showed 620kg only.

I investigated belini's md's and his numbers are quite high. I got 645kg of weight in the mentioned test.

Any thoughts on this? Thank you.
Re: Yet another magic data related doubt
Date: April 29, 2008 02:24AM
Posted by: savinaclaudio
Hi. I think it is a value not related to a real parameter, as others in MD file.
For example, how can you convert the 171 value for the front wing to the 20 that appears in the game? I mean, in the game 20 should be the degree of the front wing. So, i think it is difficoult to convert the value of the MD: i just test.
Claudio.
Date: April 29, 2008 07:29AM
Posted by: R_Scandura
never noticed any relation with real parameters about fuel. it changes with setup, power, grip and other things in MD but the best way i got to set fuel so far is that the fastest car should consume 1.0 of fuel in a launched lap. in race the consumption is slowe by weight so maybe the fuel consumption 1 and 2 should give a sort of finetuning...

-------------------------------
Date: April 29, 2008 10:11AM
Sure other parameters deal with fuel consumption.

My doubt is, given that "fuel???" affects the actual ammount of fuel per lap you are loaded with, I'm trying to get a factor to convert it to a known unit of measurement, once this parameter seems to change fuel ammount linearly.

Obviously they assumed an ammount of fuel per lap in kg, lb, l, gallons, whatever, and then in the process of programming the game it was changed to what we see in the magic data.

Assuming hofxlap output is accurate, I concluded that

fuel??? = kg * 3000

I tried something more logical like

fuel=kg*1024*3

but hofxlap proved me wrong in this case.

Is it a breakthrough for gpx editing? ;)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2008 10:36AM by SuperSonic.
Date: April 29, 2008 12:10PM
Posted by: belini
calculating fuel consumption has nothing to do with engine
power but more down to how much throttle is used and grip.

fuel consumption is linked to the values used in fuel 1 and 2,
the reason belini tracks use a higher fuel value is because
I use higher values in fuel 1/2 which help simulate faster
lap times as the fuel load lightens.

sadly you can't use this method without the belini patches as
the ai will start missing their braking points causing too
many crashes.

basically working out fuel consumpion is a pain in the butt:)
you need to be very careful not to be tempted to run them too
fine on fuel as you'll find that at times team mates will be
pitting on the same lap.

you could try looking at lap time(grip), track legnth and
throttle usage it's very likely that you multiply by 1024,
2048 etc.... which is the norm for gp3.

pk

Date: April 29, 2008 02:22PM
Yeah, I've guessed you had enhanced the simulation of decreasing lap times by using more fuel and higher consumption. That's a nice trick. However, for GP3 1.13 I'd be more than happy with usual fuel settings and tyre type 55, and then editing grip as needed.

I've got the best available estimations of fuel consumption from the FIA website (the same ones considered to refuel cars after qualifying in the last season). I regard them as the most accurate numbers one could have.

This is what I want to do:

Edit the "fuel???" field, which is the actual ammount of fuel per lap you get in the tank for a given track (right?), in a way it matches FIA's figures. After that I can edit and readjust everything else as needed.

As I said, IF hofxlap is accurate, I am by now pretty sure the "fuel???" field is given in kilograms*3000.

Editing consumption is NOT a problem. I'm just trying to figure out the unit used.

Thanks for all tips, they're very useful :)

So, just two more questions...

- Is hofxlap accurate on getting car weight data?

- belini, when converting mds files to 1.13, is there somthing critical that must be changed (apart from fuel/power/grip/setup settings)?
Date: April 29, 2008 03:11PM
Posted by: Zieli
I am calculating fuel with track length [km] * 1350 ... 1700
by using 1350 for very fast, 1700 for very slow tracks.

For fuel consumption I use values between 15500 ... 18000
depending on the car setup (wings). For fast tracks you need less fuel
consumption than for slow tracks.

Fuel consumption 1 has influence on the players car,
fuel comsumption 2 on the CC cars
Date: April 29, 2008 04:22PM
Just to make sure...

Have you guys understood what I'm asking?

;)
Date: May 04, 2008 05:18PM
[www.realgpx.com]

Just in case anyone is interested.
Date: May 07, 2008 09:01AM
Posted by: Brianf666
savinaclaudio Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
how can you convert the 171 value for
> the front wing to the 20 that appears in the game?
> I mean, in the game 20 should be the degree of the
> front wing. So, i think it is difficoult to
> convert the value of the MD: i just test.
> Claudio.

No, Claudio, it is easy. You may have 20 as a wing setting in the game but Magic Data is not quite so restricted. Simply take 150 from the MD value and the result is the wing setting. Yes CC cars can be set to 21 in MD but that just makes the way you set your car up a bit more demanding. This also works for gear ratios. I'm sure there's a tutorial somewhere on here.

Nico bites yer tyres!
Date: May 07, 2008 10:06AM
Ok, it's interesting. I also read the link SuperSonic posted.
What i meant was that i test and when i get what i was looking for it's ok. Anyway, always useful to learn something new.
About wings (of course i read Roberto Scandura's tutorial and a lot of forum posts about MD) i still have a doubt: ok, CC car can be set 0 to 21; but if i use the CC setup editor (the utility simply reads the value in the MD)i get this:
MD value 171 = 20 (ok, it is the highest in the game), but for value into the range it gives the game value.
I try to explain: if MD 171 is 21, MD 170 should be 20, but CC setup read 19, and so on. I don't know.
But i have been testing for many years, and i noticed that it is very very difficoult to set the parameters just as i want (easier in some tracks, difficoult in others, impossible in a few):
An example. I like ovals very much, so i was working about Fontana: starting a quick race, i noticed that CC cars had a very very slow start (even if i was 20th on the grid i passed them all before turn n.1) so i tried to correct the problem via MD file. After days of testing, i did so: set a very high CC engine power value, rear wing to 10 (mine is set to 1) and set a different gear ratio to have the CC top speed as mine. Notice that all the other value (air resistance, track grip...) were exactly as in other ovals (as Indy) where there was not the problem of slow start. Same problem in Daytona, i tried to do the same, but no solution, track not raceble.
So, i mean: i like editing Gp3 very much (i spend more time editing than playing...) but i still think it is difficoult (never said impossible) to convert all MD (and game) value into some "real" value (value that works like in real life).
Anyway, i repeat, always good to try something new.
Bye, Claudio.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2008 01:02PM by savinaclaudio.
Date: May 07, 2008 04:33PM
Claudio, I'm so glad you have problems too. I thought it was just me. On some F1 tracks all the cars seem to slow by about 2 sec a lap after 3 or 4 laps. I put it down to tyre wear but at Sepang it is most pronounced and I've still to get better consistency there or it makes a 7 stop race a viable proposition :))

Nico bites yer tyres!
Date: May 07, 2008 06:41PM
This is totally new for me: 7 stop, fantastic! You have won the cup of the most funny problem.
Therefore, i knew that tyre consumtion for CC was automatically calculated, no way to set it; you can only choose the tyre compound.
Well, my usual problems are:
- cc very slow at the start
- cc very slow in corners (expecially in short ovals)
- cc too fast on straight
- cc too donkey in closing the door
- in some circuit the cc setup in Md doesn't match what they really do
- cc very fast in a sector, and then very slow in others
Usually i can solve these problems via MD, but sometimes there's no way, and the track is gone... (ah, Daytona).
Anyway, i can get enough fun by playing Gp3, and i forget all...
Bye.
Date: May 08, 2008 05:21AM
oops,

For wing settings, just add 151.

If you want 20/20 (Monaco), just use 171/171.

If you want, let's say, 8/6 (Monza), use 159/157.

The same for gear ratios.

However, there IS a random factor for AI cars. I mean, if the rear wing is set to 10, it can be either 9, 10 or 11. It varies from team to team in each session you start. As far as I can remember, when set to 1 it is either 1 or 2, and when set to 20 it is either 19 or 20.

You can check this by selecting zero driver (watch cc's only), then starting a session and coming back to the driver menu. Select any driver and check his wings setup...
Date: May 08, 2008 10:14AM
And this is even more interesting...
I'll check!
Claudio
Date: May 08, 2008 01:16PM
Yeah, you learn something new on here every day.

Nico bites yer tyres!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy